As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I mentioned it previously, but here's a bit more about the next Xbox Access program that's going to go in effect with an upgrade path to Project Scarlett when it's, you know, officially announced.
    Which segues into the part of the post I forgot to add: Frost Punk has anybody played it? Debating buying it to play next on Win10. Really wish more of these titles were play anywhere.

I played Frost Punk on PC, though not on console. A very immersing disaster-based city building game, but quite hard (at least for me--I made the mistake of treating it like a conventional city building game I think). I'd definitely try it again on game pass, though I'm not sure how well it works on console.

Yeah, I poked around a little further and I don't think it's the kind of game I'm looking for, too abstract. Survival games like Fallout Shelter and the State of Decays have a more interesting community dynamic with the named people and all. Possibly will try This War of Mine next... which is the first game the Frostpunk guys did, heh.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I probably missed any Mixer talk but I tried streaming from my Xbox for a while last night and it's dead easy and the VOD looks great. If you've ever thought about streaming, even just to record yourself for your own reference later, it's worth trying.

On PC it's a little more involved (especially if you want to have more granular control over audio levels). But, with that said, it only took about an hour or two to get most everything in order (though, I haven't done anything with my webcam yet, so I have no idea if that's going to give me any grief), and most of that time was reading reference materials to figure out OBS and the virtual audio mixer software.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    If all else fails @Ken O, try this:

g7fbpe9cnazq.png

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got the game pass for PC. I had to play Outer Worlds.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The funny part is that Xbox Live parties are both more complex and actually less of a shit show to get working today then the Xbox 360 era.

Plus, PSN now has multiplayer parties too. No idea if they do voice-chat though, I don't have PS Plus.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I probably missed any Mixer talk but I tried streaming from my Xbox for a while last night and it's dead easy and the VOD looks great. If you've ever thought about streaming, even just to record yourself for your own reference later, it's worth trying.

What are you using for video and audio? Kinect?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 2019 is on free play days if anyone wants to get their racing cars on.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I mentioned it previously, but here's a bit more about the next Xbox Access program that's going to go in effect with an upgrade path to Project Scarlett when it's, you know, officially announced.
    Which segues into the part of the post I forgot to add: Frost Punk has anybody played it? Debating buying it to play next on Win10. Really wish more of these titles were play anywhere.

I played Frost Punk on PC, though not on console. A very immersing disaster-based city building game, but quite hard (at least for me--I made the mistake of treating it like a conventional city building game I think). I'd definitely try it again on game pass, though I'm not sure how well it works on console.

I'm finding the controller controls in Frost Punk to be really good. Haven't really felt annoyed or wished I had a keyboard and mouse yet. And yeah, the game is very hard for me. I've restarted the first scenario about a dozen times so far.

So, my feelings towards Modern Warfare's insane revisionist view of history aside, this seems like a pretty good deal for anyone looking for a console: $249.99 gets you a 1 TB Xbox One, Modern Warfare, the original three-part COD:MW series, and a fifth game of your choosing.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Here's the essential breakdown of the new revision of the Xbox One Elite Controller, courtesy of Tim "I Was Born Stupid But I Will Not Die Hungry, Videogames Forever Kotaku Dot Com" Rogers of Kotaku dot com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhrNA07kzjc

what's the TL;DV summary?

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

"Now, I'm not a drug dealer, I just haven't shaved in two weeks because there's no hot water in my apartment because my landlord is a scumbag"

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Probably 'Buy lots of these! They're fucking awesome! (Please send me more free stuff to hype.)'?

Okay, I have a newfound respect for Tim Rogers now.

"No intuitively replaceable battery, no sale."

Just kidding, that's just me. The battery life is apparently good, but it doesn't impress me (doesn't help that swapping batteries is still faster than putting the controller on the charger and waiting an indefinite period). I think the Switch's "Pro" gamepad has better battery life, though it's a little hard to compare since I'm pretty sure that thing has functionality comparable to a basic Xbox One gamepad, no headphone jack, and simpler rumble features, much less all the absurd shit packed into the Elite and Series 2.

Feral rambling aside (which at this point is Roger's signature shtick), he does go into some detail about the granularity in the Elite 2's analogue triggers in a way which I found pretty informative
    I'm also probably not going to buy it because of the lack of swappable battery pack (and also because the first Elite controller is still an excellent purchase) but he actually goes through a pretty hefty laundry list of improvements

True. Though I suspect that I, like most people, completely fail to take advantage of them.

As I noted one or two threads back, my launch-day Elite controller served me well (despite a few embarrassing drops and slips) right up until playing Soulcalibur VI's bullshit mini-boss fights induced me to repeatedly slam it against my leather couch and crack open the casing (the couch fared a little better, I guess). I'd probably still be using it otherwise (and I sold it for a pretty slick $45 on eBay). My current Elite is doing fine in the meantime.

I'm also curious what controllers might be introduced with Project Scarlett--we can probably expected another limited edition controller--on top of the current controllers working with it. So, better uses of money (not to mention launch day price).

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

What are you using for video and audio? Kinect?

I don't have a camera pointed at me because ick and I play with a headset and mic on already so I just start a party and include that audio in the stream, in case I care about what I'm saying. I profoundly doubt I'll ever get to the point that I'm promoting myself in anyway but it's useful to look back at gameplay sometimes and sometimes I want a record of stuff I did with friend so we can laugh about it for a few days afterwards.

edited November 2019
    So, this is interesting, at least as a novelty if not something more substantial: we're not going to see Project XCloud on Nintendo Switch any time soon. Or possibly ever. But with the conceptually very similar Razer Junglecat controllers paired with their creatively named Phone 2 you can come pretty close.

There are some mechanical differences, obviously. The Junglecat controllers are actually smaller than the Nintendo Joycons (which I already find kind of nightmarish to use personally). The 1440p 120hz screen on the Phone 2 is pretty much superior to the Switch's rather modest 720p screen in every single way--color reproduction, HDR, framerate, pixel density, even durability--that it would be noticeable even if XCloud can't take advantage of some of those features, but the battery life must be much, much worse. And also it's Android, which, as an Android user myself, is kind of sub-optimal for gaming.

Still, if you've got a bottomless wallet (or were just looking for a gaming phone anyway), it's kind of promising.

junglecat-xcloud-2.jpg?itok=IKEtO4wm

Synthesis on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Unrelated to Xbox, but if you can put up with tim rogers' schtick, you should definitely watch his Death Stranding review, it's incredbile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHUY-nVXKU
    With Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima has finally made a game that is like eating 60 pounds of vegetables... at gunpoint. Does a silky slab of meat and triumphant pile of potatoes await afterward? I won't say.
    Death Stranding is the Gran Turismo of walking simulators
    Death Stranding is Andrei Tarkovsky's Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Game

All of these quotes are meant positively, he loves the game lmao

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think Rogers is funny but sometimes his droning cadence wears on me a bit. I find it easier to read his work than hear it sometimes.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Unrelated to Xbox, but if you can put up with tim rogers' schtick, you should definitely watch his Death Stranding review, it's incredbile

With Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima has finally made a game that is like eating 60 pounds of vegetables... at gunpoint. Does a silky slab of meat and triumphant pile of potatoes await afterward? I won't say.

80 hours?!

80 hours of undiluted, unfiltered, pure Kojima madness?!

No sir, I don't like it.

chamberlain on
    All batteries are swappable with a good electronics repair tookit, soldering iron, and a wanton disregard for things like warranties,

The battery will only die 2 days after the warranty expiration and extension application window period closes anyway.

*runs into room*

D-did anyone mention the best buy protection plan???

*Falls over, dies*

*My ghost gets a free replacement body thanks to getting the best buy protection plan on it*

I think Rogers is funny but sometimes his droning cadence wears on me a bit. I find it easier to read his work than hear it sometimes.

There's always this absolutely evergreen, perfectly blown-out Mitchell-and-Webb style take on Madden, which cemented his brand theme as the "Monday Night Football/Heavy Action" yelling guy (and even Xbox relevant!) https://youtube.com/watch?v=43a2H7LQ1Xs

There's also a "Football, Reviewed" video that breaks down American football in videogame terms and includes mint lines like "It's Final Fantasy Tactics, except you can literally get brain damage"
    (That's a more traditional ramble though)

There's also a "Football, Reviewed" video that breaks down American football in videogame terms and includes mint lines like "It's Final Fantasy Tactics, except you can literally get brain damage"
    (That's a more traditional ramble though)

So it's like the breakdown of American fantasy football--"It's pachinko, but other people get brain damage."

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

80 hours?!

80 hours of undiluted, unfiltered, pure Kojima madness?!

No sir, I don't like it.

Well, I did get 110 hours out of MGS V, without even finishing it (the side ops were my jam), so... hmm.

I'm trying to save for a trip next year, but I see the Elite 2 in stock and I'm like.... Fuck

Hnnnnnng

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm trying to save for a trip next year, but I see the Elite 2 in stock and I'm like.... Fuck

Hnnnnnng

I still love my elite and have 2 and I'm tempted!

Question about gamepass how do.i find out when games are leaving. I still.need to beat blood stained and my gf wants to.play it

RickRude wrote: »

Hnnnnnng

Question about gamepass how do.i find out when games are leaving. I still.need to beat blood stained and my gf wants to.play it

You constantly search the internet and hope for some advanced warning. Though the twitter @XboxGamePass typically gives a very short period of warning when a game is about to be removed.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dead By Daylight. I've played the Steam version when they had free weekends so can I use that profile with the game pass PC version or do I have to start from scratch?

edited November 2019
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Dead By Daylight. I've played the Steam version when they had free weekends so can I use that profile with the game pass PC version or do I have to start from scratch?

You probably have to start again, unless there's some means of transferring your Steam game saves to your Game Pass version of the game. You may be able to directly copy? I'm not 100% sure though.

edit: if you're in Windows 10, the apps are tucked away in the folder

%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\<Pub>.<Game name>.<text>\ ... ?

tastydonuts on
    emnmnme wrote: »

I strongly suspect you cannot. Xbox is pretty stringent about keep saves within its own ecosystem outside of the rare multiplaform online games with unified profiles (for achievements, etc.). Technically, so is Steam, they're just much worse at enforcing it.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It's not cross-save, no.
    It's not cross-play either, but Behavior have said that Steam/Windows Store crossplay is coming in the next few weeks. Just Steam to the Game Pass PC/Windows Store version, not consoles.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

Hnnnnnng

I was just checking this out earlier. It would seem there is a section of the Game store on the One that shows games that are leaving game pass - presumably to allow you a last chance at getting the game for 20% off. The two Darksiders games and The Surge are leaving Game Pass by the 15th. Grid 2 is also leaving. There were a couple other games, but I don't recall them right now.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Probably 'Buy lots of these! They're fucking awesome! (Please send me more free stuff to hype.)'?

It's best not to comment on things you don't intend to watch. He says that they sent Kotaku one for free to review, but then he left that one with Kotaku and intends to buy his own copy because Elite Controllers are his favorite thing for personal use.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

Hnnnnnng

I was just checking this out earlier. It would seem there is a section of the Game store on the One that shows games that are leaving game pass - presumably to allow you a last chance at getting the game for 20% off. The two Darksiders games and The Surge are leaving Game Pass by the 15th. Grid 2 is also leaving. There were a couple other games, but I don't recall them right now.

Pretty sure I have both darksiders through games with gold. Mainly worried about blood stained

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Bloodstained just joined recently, so won't be leaving anytime soon. The Darksiders on GamePass are the enhanced versions, rather than the 360 ones which may have been given away. The enhanced ones never were though.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The Taco Bell Xbox contest has switched to the phase where the free code HSKVHBSZSSNC has started working (again). You can use it once a day on the website and via text message each from now until the 23rd.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

It's best not to comment on things you don't intend to watch. He says that they sent Kotaku one for free to review, but then he left that one with Kotaku and intends to buy his own copy because Elite Controllers are his favorite thing for personal use.

Bad jokes are just jokes.