As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    As for re-releases of Bayonetta 1 on other platforms, I'll bet Nintendo loves the idea -- it's basically free advertising for their platform and its semi-exclusive sequels.

Nintendo is not that forward looking of a company. Its just that they aren't always into paying what it would take to completely lock a third party IP down. See how Octopath Traveler eventually ended up on PC, while literally zero of their first party titles do the same.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd settle for the ability to use a custom wallpaper without added compression artifacts. Come on, Xbox! It's not that big! It's a JPEG!

I’d settle for a not convoluted way to upload custom wallpaper. OneDrive is right there and I can’t use it to upload pictures to use as a background.

I quit using my own pics for background back when the 360 still had 'blades'. It never, ever looked good nor fit the layout well. And I never really bothered with themes because MS couldn't be arsed to give us a proper preview to see if it looked any good or not.

I rotate between a few 360 themes that don't look like shit and were free. One of them even came with the console. I care more about my phone's background and even then I still don't do anything with it.

My 360 still sports the Perfect Dark theme, which I can't remember if it was free or not.

My Xbox One has sported the Mass Effect 2 view over the Citadel (this one) as its wallpaper from day one and still does. It's a nice image, a good memory of a favourite game, and bland enough that it doesn't matter what sort of UI is laid over the top of it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It doesn't help that the Bayonetta situation is pretty unique, in that it's not really first party... Nintendo is helping fund them in exchange for exclusivity, but we don't know if that agreement is forever. I recall the most recent Dead Rising games having a similar deal, on Microsoft let them be released elsewhere after not long after their release. Who knows the nature of the deal, but I don't think Nintendo really owns the brand or anything... It's still Platinum game, they're just doing each other a solid.

So when you say basically, that basically doesn't really cover the first game... Which Nintendo had really nothing to do with

I think SEGA owns the brand, hence their continued involvement.

As for re-releases of Bayonetta 1 on other platforms, I'll bet Nintendo loves the idea -- it's basically free advertising for their platform and its semi-exclusive sequels.

I would guess it depends on whether they take a percentage or a license fee.
    Jazz wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I'd settle for the ability to use a custom wallpaper without added compression artifacts. Come on, Xbox! It's not that big! It's a JPEG!

I’d settle for a not convoluted way to upload custom wallpaper. OneDrive is right there and I can’t use it to upload pictures to use as a background.

I quit using my own pics for background back when the 360 still had 'blades'. It never, ever looked good nor fit the layout well. And I never really bothered with themes because MS couldn't be arsed to give us a proper preview to see if it looked any good or not.

I rotate between a few 360 themes that don't look like shit and were free. One of them even came with the console. I care more about my phone's background and even then I still don't do anything with it.

My 360 still sports the Perfect Dark theme, which I can't remember if it was free or not.

My Xbox One has sported the Mass Effect 2 view over the Citadel (this one) as its wallpaper from day one and still does. It's a nice image, a good memory of a favourite game, and bland enough that it doesn't matter what sort of UI is laid over the top of it.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone Complex--the only Xbox 360 theme I ever purchased. Mildly ironic, since the Xbox 360 (and the PS3) never got a new Ghost in the Shell game. Still using it, even after the subsequent UI updates.

It reminds me of how spartan the Xbox One UI is, for whatever faults or strengths it has, by comparison.

• Options
    A SAC theme sounds awesome, and GIS is failing me looking for pics. I was very, very late to SAC (like, a couple of years ago in the wake of the Hollywood GitS movie), so I would have missed it at the time.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I saw the original in the theatre. An experience I highly recommend.

Saw the live action in 3D. It looked great ing 3D. But would have rather rewatched the original.

• Options
    The 2017 Dreamworks Ghost in the Shell is just this side of terrible. In spite of actually looking quite impressive, though what's more impressive--attempts at shot-for-shot remakes of the Oshii film (itself a controversial take on the franchise, and not as popular outside the US), or where they actually experimented and took their own path--is up for debate. Beneath the visual veneer, the film itself really can't hide why it utterly tanked even among its intended American audience, and even with the American action heroine of the last decade front and center, whom it squandered.

It's a bad film, though even bad films impress visually. I would really like to talk about why it's a bad film at length, especially since I've actually sat down and watched it since then recently enough, but it's kind of off topic. Ghost in the Shell Arise was a troubled production too (improved in the subsequent re-releases, I think), but it's still better than Johansson GITS.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Gamepass for $0.05 a day, maybe?:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/e7fwzc/you_can_currently_change_your_xbox_game_pass/

https://i.imgur.com/hSBTO0n.jpg

I think it's USA only, but for those lucky enough to get it it works out to be astonishingly cheap. Might be a pricing glitch though?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ya i tried this morning but no workey in canada :(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/e7fwzc/you_can_currently_change_your_xbox_game_pass/

I think it's USA only, but for those lucky enough to get it it works out to be astonishingly cheap. Might be a pricing glitch though?

I think--and the thread seems to suggest--that this is amortizing the absurdly cheap rates available to new subscribers (after all, it's not like Microsoft can't change the reoccurring payment price at any time, that's just called a "price hike" ). It doesn't work for me (I have UGP until September 2022)--and honestly I'd feel a little guilty if it did. Not enough to not use it probably, but you get the point.

• Options

I think--and the thread seems to suggest--that this is amortizing the absurdly cheap rates available to new subscribers (after all, it's not like Microsoft can't change the reoccurring payment price at any time, that's just called a "price hike" ). It doesn't work for me (I have UGP until September 2022)--and honestly I'd feel a little guilty if it did. Not enough to not use it probably, but you get the point.

if you are in the states, unless they fixed it, it should work. once you turn auto-renew back on you can then change your plan and choose daily. alas daily is not available in canada

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It doesn't help that the Bayonetta situation is pretty unique, in that it's not really first party... Nintendo is helping fund them in exchange for exclusivity, but we don't know if that agreement is forever. I recall the most recent Dead Rising games having a similar deal, on Microsoft let them be released elsewhere after not long after their release. Who knows the nature of the deal, but I don't think Nintendo really owns the brand or anything... It's still Platinum game, they're just doing each other a solid.

So when you say basically, that basically doesn't really cover the first game... Which Nintendo had really nothing to do with

They don't even need to; people get hooked on Bayonetta with the first game on whichever platform and want more? There's only one place to go.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

They don't even need to; people get hooked on Bayonetta with the first game on whichever platform and want more? There's only one place to go.

Nintendo is also a company that likes money, and plenty of people play Bayonetta, or any game, and don't necessarily play the sequel. So I am open to either possibility.
    Hardtarget wrote: »

if you are in the states, unless they fixed it, it should work. once you turn auto-renew back on you can then change your plan and choose daily. alas daily is not available in canada

I guess they fixed it, because that sounds like the step I followed. Then again, at some point over the last hour or two I got locked out of my Microsoft account (eep) and need to wait until the morning before I can actually call Microsoft and (hopefully) sort this out (because the automated system to unlock the account results in "Your account has been locked, and you must unlock it."). Unusual issue to run into.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm not going over to the holo lens until Tommy Lee Jones makes me drive around with panties on my head...

This is reference literally no one will get.

Saw it in theatres. Saw it then came out and Back to the Future (2? 3?) was queueing so we walked over and saw that too.

Are people pumped for VR or for a new HL game? I'm guessing more the latter, being used to drive the former.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'm not going over to the holo lens until Tommy Lee Jones makes me drive around with panties on my head...

This is reference literally no one will get.

Saw it in theatres. Saw it then came out and Back to the Future (2? 3?) was queueing so we walked over and saw that too.

Are people pumped for VR or for a new HL game? I'm guessing more the latter, being used to drive the former.

We've discussed it in passing. It looks very impressive for a VR game (next to Half-Life 2 which is, after all, more than a decade old and built on an engine showing its age), though unless there's some secret to it, a trailer is not a great demonstration of a VR title as it would be a normal game. Even watching a trailer specifically intended for VR headset playback would be problematic. But I think it looks pretty true to franchise, and it's more elaborate than the usual "VR experience" that we always knew was going to be produced instead of Half-Life 3, if anything was produced at all. Should be good, though personally, it's a pass from me--I've yet to play a single VR shooter that I enjoy as much as a proper FPS, in part because of how half-assed locomotion techniques still on in VR three years later. But people who get get passed that are looking forward to it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    VR does nothing for me, and the Valve of today is not the Valve who did HL 1 and HL 2, people making some serious assumptions Alyx will be revolutionary.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    VR does nothing for me, and the Valve of today is not the Valve who did HL 1 and HL 2, people making some serious assumptions Alyx will be revolutionary.

the only things I remember about Half Life 2 are the gravity gun and the buggy or w/e... I wonder what that HL will be remembered for...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I remember the AI and physics engine being the big things at the time

• Options
    edited December 2019
    HL1 literally created the cinema-inspired set-piece driven first-person shooter experience, diverging from Doom or Quake and "Make your own path within the rules of a level." It was the origin of watching people talk and watching events play out as a story mechanism, instead of...occasional text blocks between episodes. Halo is part of that. HL2 had a bunch of physics puzzles and mods, that's what mostly sticks out for me (I played GMod for years).

I mean, that's patently true. Those people are (mostly) gone, and even if they weren't, the entire raison d'etre for the Valve corporation is completely different today then when HL1 was being developed (and it's not "make a video game"). Fuck man, Microsoft still makes a Windows OS. That's closer to what they were doing 25 years ago then what Valve was. You might as well try and argue you aren't affected by the gravitational field of the Earth.

Also, if you don't like VR, you don't like VR. Personal taste is literally that. If I said, "I don't like romantic comedies. Or driving simulators," the best someone can do is try and present evidence then I'm deliberately misrepresenting my taste, because I don't like x is a self-fulfilling statement. Virtual reality is not some magical exception.

That being said, I can see the origins of the optimism. The trailer is typically well-polished and slick, which considering Valve's recent track record with game announcements, isn't necessarily something to take for granted. If it were for a non-VR first person shooter, I would be genuinely impressed (since frankly, it looks like the trailer for a first person shooter with a unique control scheme as a matter of necessity). Even if Valve is a completely different corporate entity (and they are), they're bringing people on from Campo Santo and elsewhere who actually have made a video game in the last decade, which is a good sign (that they desperately need). And in the end of the day...you can't really mess up a Triple-A flagship title that badly. Even a catastrophe by Anthem pales in comparison to the online multiplayer flops of years past. Even Final Fantasy XIV, the shitshow it was, got scraped and restarted. There's too much money riding on this sort of thing, and besides their reputation, Valve needs to move headsets badly, considering the cost of development and launching the Vive Index well after the VR bubble burst. It's not going to be bad, and even if it was, it wouldn't be that bad and they'd probably just try again. It'll probably, at the very least, be pretty good. It just won't be Half Life 3, be cause that's never going to happen. It won't change the world.

But that's only my own pessimistic take on the situation.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I remember Half-Life1 as a game Sierra was hyping in their catalogues before it came out.

• Options
    The old Sierra jingle still plays in my head, lol...

• Options
    edited December 2019
    It's Sunday, which means I (probably) post a DF video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kCLcu8hdk

I actually gave Reach a short crack last night for the hell of it, but the vide's findings are, as usual, interesting and deeply, deeply thorough. Namely, Reach, as Bungie's last Halo entry, is also probably the worse examples of Bungie's performance issues with the franchise on the Xbox 360's aging hardware, especially with the engine modifications from 3/ODST. Because the original Reach wasn't a 60 FPS game. It wasn't a 30 FPS game either, as Halo had aimed to be: it was a "Sometimes 30 FPS, but frequently 20 to 25 FPS" game, and it showed hard. For someone who wasn't really that interested in replaying the campaign (I'm sure I will, but Reach suffers from the Halo 5 problem of "It's really hard to care about these people who aren't the MC because they're usually not interesting at all."), the notion of a 60 FPS Reach is probably the best argument for playing the game again, especially given the original rocky BC release. And it's clearly intended to be a 60 FPS game. And it frequently (?) is. So much so that if you're playing it on PC and want to go over 60 FPS, you better get used to the whole game updating at 60 hz regardless of your framerate at 70, 90, or 120 FPS. Deal with it :snap: . Not a wholly un-expected issue.

The audio direction is...different. :confused: I don't know why. To paraphrase the narrator, "it's different, so it's bad." Not much else there.

Likewise, being arguably the buggiest of Bungie's Halo titles ( :lol: at Kat's animation frames sticking), apparently those issues didn't get addressed in QA yet. Looks like we can expect Kat to drive you off a cliff, or herself through the level geometry (though I know some people argue that's a charming feature). But it's really not bad news. It's mostly a 60 FPS game, and the game does generally hold up better at much, much higher resolutions (as demonstrated back in the BC release). If you don't have the absurd eye for SSAO the DF guys have, or don't mind the old-fashion antialiasing solutions Bungie used, you'll probably think the game is gorgeous while still managing to the keep the moody, stark aesthetic. It's hard to imagine Reach fans wouldn't be pleased. But be careful on PC, I guess.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ediT: aw, PC only. my poor Surface Pro wouldn't be able to play it and I'm still debating buying another laptop with Windows 10 or buying a new Surface Pro. :so_raven:

Really? I thought I read in the promo material it was coming to Xbox Game Pass as well as PC! Hmm, perhaps I misunderstood the language. :lol:

On the other topic...get another Surface Pro. You know you want that ultra-high portability. One of us. ONE OF US.

(Or you could spend a small fortune and get a Surface Book 2.)

I've had a Surface Pro since the first gen. Though my Surface Pro (2017) won't be able to play it either. I'd be buying a Surface Pro 7.

Yeah, I should've been saying stay one of us. It's not like Surface Pros are uncommon nowadays either. I see more of them than iPad Pros.
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    For anyone who was wondering, yes, Vambrace is hard as fuck.

I gave up on it after 4 hours or so - I couldn’t get past the first 5 exploration zones to get to the boss.

My team were always exhausted by the fifth area, and just got worn down.

I managed to craft some armour and other items, which helped, but every time I had a good run of the first few areas, I would inevitably trigger a bunch of traps, or have a lot of fights in a row, and just get whittled down to ineffectiveness.

I really with the main character got xp for fights, so you can at least grind for a bit, but I assume you only get xp for completing quests.

It’s a shame, but I appreciate it being on Gamepass, as I got to try a game type I normally don’t bother with (rogue-likes).

I might give it another try, when I’m feeling masochist.

So, on this topic, the trick seems to be:

1) Grind repeatedly (leave mid-chapter) to amass loot to craft better gear (and for the love of god, if you think someone's going to die, take it off them, because their corpse is off limits).

2) Get the right class companions. Since the game gives you zero indication of what those are, they seem to be Fusiliers (dwarven musketmen), Celestine/Hedge Mages (floating elf ladies), and a Shadowmancer (....some kind of drow....demon....hunter...looking?). Avoid the all-arounders, especially in the combat roles, since you really only need one person with high awareness or one person whose good at opening things (and if your party loses someone, you're basically fucked anyway).

3) Have at least one of each status effect curing item handy. Eventually, their absurd price will seem fairly minor (on account of all the grinding and selling crap) that you'll just buy one every time you're at a merchant. Because sooner or later, you're going to hit by a trap, and even if you don't, one of those bullshit chance events is going to break someone's legs and you'll need a splint.

It's extremely telling that the game has ~20 achievements, and the first five, which are tutorial related are common enough, but every other one--including story progression achievements chapter 2 and onwards--is rare.

@M-Vickers So as it happened, those above 3 tricks worked like a charm. Instead of reaching the final dungeon and immediately getting my ass kicked while trying to find a camp site, much less reaching Manduk (the Boss), I was able to cruise through, set up camp, and whup Manduk quite easily with no real risk of even losing a single party member. Having a Bloodmage as DPS (god, I hate RPG shop talk) and a Fusilier as a sort-of-tank was definitely the way to go, though I could probably get away with dropping the Fusilier in return for, for example, a Dragoon (since i found a blue artifact for one) as a dedicated tank since the Bloodmage allows for you to regularly attack enemies in any position, and hard. My Bloodmage also doubled as my sleight-of-hand character, since I was already loaded up with crafting materials anyway.

So, Vambrace...not so hard. Once you grind and get wise to the classes.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    New Tekken characters, Ganryu and Leroy coming on Tuesday, they all look sick as hell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_S_glvvBMI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMoZNqG4tg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDreWE7YrM

I don't play Tekken, but I love watching it, such a cool game

• Options

I actually gave Reach a short crack last night for the hell of it, but the vide's findings are, as usual, interesting and deeply, deeply thorough. Namely, Reach, as Bungie's last Halo entry, is also probably the worse examples of Bungie's performance issues with the franchise on the Xbox 360's aging hardware, especially with the engine modifications from 3/ODST. Because the original Reach wasn't a 60 FPS game. It wasn't a 30 FPS game either, as Halo had aimed to be: it was a "Sometimes 30 FPS, but frequently 20 to 25 FPS" game, and it showed hard. For someone who wasn't really that interested in replaying the campaign (I'm sure I will, but Reach suffers from the Halo 5 problem of "It's really hard to care about these people who aren't the MC because they're usually not interesting at all."), the notion of a 60 FPS Reach is probably the best argument for playing the game again, especially given the original rocky BC release. And it's clearly intended to be a 60 FPS game. And it frequently (?) is. So much so that if you're playing it on PC and want to go over 60 FPS, you better get used to the whole game updating at 60 hz regardless of your framerate at 70, 90, or 120 FPS. Deal with it :snap: . Not a wholly un-expected issue.

The audio direction is...different. :confused: I don't know why. To paraphrase the narrator, "it's different, so it's bad." Not much else there.

Likewise, being arguably the buggiest of Bungie's Halo titles ( :lol: at Kat's animation frames sticking), apparently those issues didn't get addressed in QA yet. Looks like we can expect Kat to drive you off a cliff, or herself through the level geometry (though I know some people argue that's a charming feature). But it's really not bad news. It's mostly a 60 FPS game, and the game does generally hold up better at much, much higher resolutions (as demonstrated back in the BC release). If you don't have the absurd eye for SSAO the DF guys have, or don't mind the old-fashion antialiasing solutions Bungie used, you'll probably think the game is gorgeous while still managing to the keep the moody, stark aesthetic. It's hard to imagine Reach fans wouldn't be pleased. But be careful on PC, I guess.

sure

but also Reach is the best Halo game soooo....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019

sure

And stilllllll the buggiest.

Synthesis on
  • Options

sure

right but so? :)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

sure

right but so? :)

So, you can go and have the AI drive you off the cliff before they kill themselves like the old days. Except now with different sounding weapons. :)

• Options
    "Great game has bugs" is hardly Earth-shattering news.

Nor is "great game still has bugs when re-released".

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    "Great game has bugs" is hardly Earth-shattering news.

Nor is "great game still has bugs when re-released".

Yeah, if only one we could discuss the actual details of said glitches and their practical consequences, particularly in regards to the unique experience on a completely different platform in depth, as oppose to going going "Sooooo...?" :lol:

Except the changed weapon audio. That's a new, and frankly, unexpected one, since I can't remember that being an issue with the original Reach BC--and the other MCC titles are generally very close to their original audio scores excluding changes made in the re-release of 2.

Also, that PC front-end crashing isn't great. But unlike the audio, I expect that'll be ironed out swiftly.

• Options
    lol I more mean I just don't think this is that interesting / there's not much to discuss. like it's coming out for the xbox version as well, they never said they were putting any sort of extra work into it, it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TIL @Hardtarget has an inside source at 343i, so he knew to expect the audio changes. Suck it, Digital Foundry.

• Options
    TIL @Hardtarget has an inside source at 343i, so he knew to expect the audio changes. Suck it, Digital Foundry.

lol
    I guess the audio changes aren't really a thing i thought about, i was just talking in relation to bugs still existing, etc

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

lol
    I guess the audio changes aren't really a thing i thought about, i was just talking in relation to bugs still existing, etc

I find it very interesting. And so do some people in the Halo thread, unsurprisingly. :lol:

Plus, I'll take posting a DF video over listening how the Wii U didn't actually exist.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    One very interesting thing in that video at about 7.25 is the pointing out of detail textures, and that's the clearest - not to mention only - use of them that I'm actually aware of since the original Unreal Tournament (PC version, obvs) in 1999. It would be daft of me to assume nothing else has used them in the ensuing 20 years, there must be some examples that I'm unaware of, but I always found them a lovely addition to UT, creating a nice illusion of massively higher-res textures when you got close to something (wood grain was a particularly good one). And I've always noticed the lack of them ever since.

(They were off by default in UT and buried in the hidden Preferences menus, so I'm half expecting a bunch of blank looks right about now.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    and Sony concede more ground on cross-play, this time with Minecraft.

i expect there's going to be a greater push for cross-play across the board going into the next gen and i wonder if Sony are finally accepting that they'll need to get on board.

• Options
    Can you do payment options in the netflix app? It won't let me use gift cards via the site anymore. Keep getting this weird error. I suspect it's because I don't have a credit card tied to the account, but IDK.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is there a really big difference between the two?

Lots of flops.

• Options
    Ah, the slow burn of the rumor mill.

(Not to claim to the contrary--Window Central was on-point with their Project Scorpio predictions too, though not early with them.)

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I mean if you're serious about 4K and not some checkerboard upscaling crap, yeah, it makes sense there's that much of a gap. Question will be where Sony fits in if they only have one SKU and what kind of price points we are looking at.