As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So, Playtronic Games will not be acquired by Microsoft for Xbox Game Studios.

In other news, apparently people thought Playtronic Games might be acquired by Microsoft for Xbox Game Studios.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    what's the TL;DV summary?

Probably 'Buy lots of these! They're fucking awesome! (Please send me more free stuff to hype.)'?

It's best not to comment on things you don't intend to watch. He says that they sent Kotaku one for free to review, but then he left that one with Kotaku and intends to buy his own copy because Elite Controllers are his favorite thing for personal use.

Bad jokes are just jokes.

Yeah, I just assumed both posts were bad jokes.

Commenting on things people don't intend to watch/play/buy is a staple of the enthusiast sphere.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm trying to save for a trip next year, but I see the Elite 2 in stock and I'm like.... Fuck

Hnnnnnng

I still love my elite and have 2 and I'm tempted!

Question about gamepass how do.i find out when games are leaving. I still.need to beat blood stained and my gf wants to.play it

So, on this topic--the Game Pass phone app is actually good for this, when it works. I just got a notification for The Surge, Tyranny Gold Edition and a few other games leaving on 11/15?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, Playtronic Games will not be acquired by Microsoft for Xbox Game Studios.

In other news, apparently people thought Playtronic Games might be acquired by Microsoft for Xbox Game Studios.

This was just some minor speculation from ResetEra that for some reason someone decided to bug Playtronic about.

ResetEra has been speculation about acquisitions for years now.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    what's the TL;DV summary?

Probably 'Buy lots of these! They're fucking awesome! (Please send me more free stuff to hype.)'?

It's best not to comment on things you don't intend to watch. He says that they sent Kotaku one for free to review, but then he left that one with Kotaku and intends to buy his own copy because Elite Controllers are his favorite thing for personal use.

Bad jokes are just jokes.

I mean... nah? You were calling him a shill which shows a pretty extreme misunderstanding of his character. He's a puffed up weirdo, but also EXTREMELY earnest and honest. It just rubbed me the wrong way, very hard.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    So, on the topic of someone besides Rogers...I got my invite into the Xbox Game Streaming ("Project XCloud") beta, downloaded the app, synced a basic second gen controller with my LG G6, and tried it out. You only have four games to choose from during this beta anyway, and considering I don't even have a phone mount for my controller so I had to prop it up, so I went with Halo 5.

For what I could see on my tiny screen...it actually worked pretty well. Chances are the tiny screen that i had to prop in my lap is masking details, but the actual quality--and responsiveness--basically felt like streaming over my home console. Which, considering was using home Wifi, wasn't such a stretch. As far as I could tell, I was playing a full proper Xbox One game (it actually reminded me of the fold-up screen I had for my original Xbox, but with obviously better picture quality).

I'm sure it wouldn't have been as good on a cellphone signal, but still...it was damn impressive. Spending $400 for a Razor Phone 2, and then $100 more for the Razor Junglecat....seems less utterly ridiculous now.

Here are some actual screencaptures from my phone. They do a better job conveying the actual picture quality....but remember this is on a 145 mm diagonal screen at 2880 x 1440. I quartered their pixel count just so I could actually attach them to this post.

73ou9bm0nu44.png
    g3baktsnuqld.png
    zybsox2o9nbb.png
    nccwbe69qwg8.png

Sure enough, the input lag got far, far worse the moment my phone tried to upload the photos OneDrive. But looking at the quality....maybe there's something to this whole "Streaming gaming" thing.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It actually runs way way worse on my wi-fi than over cell data, lmao

Also you can do console streaming through the app as well, not just the xCloud selection. You have access to all Xbox One games, no backwards compatible ones tho.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    So, Bless Unleashed is in open beta on Xbox this month (from the videos it looks like Tera with less fanservice and they didn't ruin the feet of their monstrous humanoid race... yet), and in the EULA, it says that even if it's read in another language, any disagreement or inconsistency between the terms of the English language version and the version presented to you shall be resolved in favor of the English language version, to the extent permitted by applicable law"

And I've been trying to think of a case(s) that caused this and I"m drawing a blank. I do remember in some other free game something about a non-english player going on about something along those lines of interpretation and I'm drawing a blank. I think it was Portuguese (guy was Brazillian)... Idk. :\

Combo system feels a lot smoother than Tera's so far, that's for sure.

edit: no rogues though, at least not in the beta. so... IDK...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    They're just feet, man.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember if Bless is the game that like released last year in the americas despite being released in korea for a while and like all of the end game did not inexplicably come with it and it lead to a ton of refunds from steam.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    They're just feet, man.

I was going to look for a picture of the Aman feet inexplicably stuffed into 6 inch heels, but you can't even get past page 1 of a search of "Tera feet" without being rule 34'd to hell... so... I will just say they ruined the race. They were the only characters in the game that weren't all supermodels and whatnot.

• Options
    Did a little digging re your post, Preacher... Bless Online, as published and done by Neowiz is the one that you're thinking of. Looks like it was an Early Access gamble there. With Bless Unleashed, Bandai Namco is the publisher and while it shares the same branding and the like, isn't the same game:

As we’ve previously covered, the game is a Neowiz/Round 8 Studio collab being published by Bandai Namco expressly for the Xbox One. It’s not a direct port of the now-failed Bless OnlineMMORPG PC, as both of our previews to date demonstrate; the game has been built for console as an action-combat MMO first and foremost, with little more than the setting and some art assets being shared between the titles. The PC version of Bless, unfortunately, is still due to sunset on September 9th.

(Source)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Interesting, a less cringey version of tera wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I like it so far. Definitely more of an action feel to it than other MMOs.

• Options
    A couple months ago when Telltale imploded, some of us worried about their digital licenses going into limbo or the games being pulled from the storefront.

Well, the Telltale Batman bundle (both games, for a total of 10 episodes) is on sale for $12.49. I'm interested in buying it despite already finishing both.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Telltale exists, it's just a resurrected corpse made up of an entirely different group of contractors

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Two days into the beta, still liking the game. Notes, some of which may change in the released version:

The game plays very much like Tera with a better combo system and mechanics built with a console in mind. Dodging is important, and there's a bit of animation lock on chaining attacks. Tons of campsites, limited healing and other and elements you would find in a conventional Action-Adventure type game. One thing that is neat is that gathering herbs heals you, and there doesn't seem to be a cap on gathering or crafting. You have a stamina bar for dodging and limited timers on potions, with no out of combat passive healing w/o food consumables.

Some other notes that are good:

Transmog is available from the getgo, and not just with costume gear you can purchase (ingame store is not in the beta). The process of unlocking stock looks for transmog is unknown to me, as gear quality determines what can have a look changed and I don't have high enough quality gear. But like, right now I can swap the look of my axe between the starter model and the next tier I got, and my basic training gear can also be used on stuff. It's still locked to class though.

Dyes are also not restricted by level. If your gear is of quality to be customizable, it seems to be able to be dyed. You craft dyes and unlock new colors via skill progression and reputation. Haven't bothered with the system yet so much as looked at it.

Don't think there's a hairstylist.

The races have a lot of variance in size. Generally athletic frames, but you can hit extreme heights and thicknesses.

While it may change post-live, the GMs are very active in the chats, answering questions, etc.

Unknowns:

Progression is gear score driven, with levels. But you upgrade your gear to improve your score from the very beginning, not at a level cap. The progression feels like it strongly favors a "grow/bond" with your gear type setup over replace it all. If you like a look it seems you'll be able to change the appearance of your gear to it anyway. Not high enough to see if you can reroll modifiers on gear yet. But the only limit to upgrading your weapons that I"ve encountered have been is it a weapon that can be enhanced and material costs to enhance.

Class archetype/skillsets are unlocked through story/quest progression.

It uses a dual currency system, but there doesn't look to be a visible direct buy for their other currency. Could be premium access grants you more transactions to convert your gold into the fancy currency, which you spend to fast travel w/o going to a node, revive w/o scrolls or player aid, etc.

There is an AH, but I haven't bothered to check it out yet.

Repeatable quests are clearly marked, and have a limit of 3 repeats/day. Don't know how many dungeon runs/day you can get.

Base storage is limited, and you get more space either via tickets (quest reward, possible purchase) or finding scraps in the world hidden in chests, 4 gives you another slot. It's unclear if the warehouse (vault) can be expanded or not. (edit: as there is a Trial (in-game achievement system) for opening 100 personal world chests, all of which seem to contain the scraps so far, you can get +40 free inventory slots off those alone)

Not so goods:

Chat filtering options are terrible, in that they are barely there. NPC stuff and pickups can easily be lost between people arguing over how BDO or <other game> is better/worse or whatever nonsense is going on in the global chat.

For the beta, there is no filter on naming your characters, from profanity, to slurs to not-innuendos, it's all there.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Telltale exists, it's just a resurrected corpse made up of an entirely different group of contractors

The availability of the game suggests as much. Still a good deal.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, even if the new Telltale crashes and burns (which, given the inexperience of the studio heads, is entirely possible), at least the back catalog managed to escape whatever double-secret bankruptcy hell they were lost to.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Is there any news at all about the Halo Reach release?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Is there any news at all about the Halo Reach release?

On PC? A week or two again it entered another preview stage for the beta testers, but that's about it.

• Options
    One big downer to the game seems to be a fair amount of zones may have old-school PK. Chat is filled with people whining about some level 30s griefing some level 10s in a world boss fight, though IDK if this is true or they're just whining. Either way, the chat continues to be the low point of the game and you can't turn it off.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My brief playtime so far of Bless has overall been very brief, but I managed to make a giant, shredded-buff brown cat-lady and the combat seems chunky enough to like
    The constant unmoderated racial slurs in text chat were a nice throwback to classic MMOs, I guess

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The constant unmoderated racial slurs in text chat were a nice throwback to classic MMOs, I guess

The real reason consoles typically lack keyboards.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    My brief playtime so far of Bless has overall been very brief, but I managed to make a giant, shredded-buff brown cat-lady and the combat seems chunky enough to like

Yeah... they really need to police that chat for all the time the GMs are like, actively in the room. Also the player names.

One other thing that bugs me is they do support the keyboard attachment so you can play and type in the box at the same time, but you have to bring up the soft keyboard and cancel out of it to use it.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Right. I was wondering, is it crossplaying with Win10?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    An interesting look into the Xbox division's general skepticism towards Bluetooth for controller support. I remember that was discussed back when we looked at Xbox 360 controllers versus Xbox one controllers.

While ruling out other Bluetooth peripherals is obviously inconvenient to people (less so now that you can just jam a wired headset into a controller jack, fortunately), the party line reasoning is actually kind of sound:

1) Bluetooth is much more subject to interference because of the popularity and inevitability greater common use of the band (this is pretty much common knowledge, as anyone who uses BT gamepads on PC or even just general BT devices can attest).

2) Acceptable lag (within 8 ms) with controller inputs and audio over controllers wasn't manageable with more than 2 controllers simultaneously over BT at the start of the generation. Conversely, the Xbox Wireless frequency could get as many as 8 controllers. Even with the shift away from local multiplayer, was has always been a sticking point of Microsoft's, though it's good to hear more specifics.

3) Microsoft has complete control(ler) over the Xbox Wireless standard, compared to BT, which conforms to the requirements set out by the Bluetooth SIG (Special Interest Group). So from a self-serving standpoint, it's not surprising Xbox would want to leverage its own in-house standard both as long as possible, and as the default interface (BT being used primarily by PC users who aren't using a wired connection or a dongle).

It's also why we're unlikely to see that much new BT support come the next console (even though support for BT peripherals would be convenient), even as Microsoft is doing a lot of work with keyboard compatibility.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Right. I was wondering, is it crossplaying with Win10?

nah, it's a pure console game. a lot of people have those keyboards you plug in to the controller, and you can use autocomplete on the soft keyboard to put together dumb nonsense fairly quickly too.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so here's a little something that might be of interest to folks here. remember when Amazon where doing that 'buy 3-months of GPU, get 3-months free' offer a few weeks back? some of you might also remember that i mentioned getting an extra free month on top of that by turning on auto-renew. well, it turns out you get that prompt for auto-renew every time you input a code for Game pass Ultimate, and every time you agree to turn it on you get another free month.

got a 1-month code the other day from a rewards quest MS ran during October. went from renewing in June 2020 to August 2020. but i wasn't 100% that i'd gotten my numbers right. thankfully i was real close claiming 3-months with reward points and just put the code in there. double checked first, confirmed that i was due to renew in August of 2020. checked again after claiming the code and agreeing to auto-renew and am not paid up will December 2020.

so yeah, free months of GPU every time you input a code. i've been redeeming the codes through the Xbox website, not sure if you get the same prompt on console or through apps, but this a tested an proven method.

i know not everyone here is comfortable, willing, or able to set recurring billing to on but for those that can and don't have a problem with it, take advantage while you can. no idea how long this is likely to last.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Is double dragon neon the good double dragon remake game? Know one was good and one was shit

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Is double dragon neon the good double dragon remake game? Know one was good and one was shit

Was there another remake? The arcade game was on XBLA, famously for not very long (really glad I grabbed that), and there was Neon too.

Neon was pretty fun. Not outstanding, but it was enjoyable and had a good sense of humour.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Jazz wrote: »

Was there another remake? The arcade game was on XBLA, famously for not very long (really glad I grabbed that), and there was Neon too.

Neon was pretty fun. Not outstanding, but it was enjoyable and had a good sense of humour.

Pretty sure i never saw the original on Xbox live I would have beat it in. Heartbeat. Have gauntlet smash t.v. and contra from the early xbla days

But there was neon, and at least one other game. One was good one was terrible

RickRude on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Non-subscribers or just Xbox or PC Game Pass subscribers can get 3 months of Ultimate for $1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?=irgwc&rtc=1&activetab=pivot:gamesanddealstab

Turn on auto-renew for an extra free month, just turn it off before it bills you.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Pretty sure i never saw the original on Xbox live I would have beat it in. Heartbeat. Have gauntlet smash t.v. and contra from the early xbla days

The original Double Dragon is one of only two games I've ever got full achievements for on Xbox Live :lol:

The other one is Mass Effect 2.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

The original Double Dragon is one of only two games I've ever got full achievements for on Xbox Live :lol:

Had to be Billy Lee.

Someone else would've gotten it wrong.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Had to be Billy Lee.

Someone else would've gotten it wrong.

You mean bimmy?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wonder if they’ll have any tidbits on the scarlet?

• Options
    That's the popular bet. Microsoft--at least I'd argue--has been weirdly backwards about that, especially compared to how open they were about Project Scorpio. We've seen what is (presumably) the main board, we've gotten considerable but not absolutely certain hardware breakdowns (mostly in relation to the Playstation 5), we've gotten extensive explanations (or promises, if you're more cynical) of hardware and software compatibility. But we haven't gotten a name or a price (which will presumably come together--or they might not, as with the PS5).

They'll almost certainly tease it out more. But a genuine reveal seems unlikely. The Xbox division seems to be having too much fun (or something) with their little hint game to stop it there.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    We didn't get a name or a price for the X until the E3 before it came out. That would suggest e3 2020 for the Scarlet reveal.

Undead Scottsman on