Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Disco Elysium] Hobocop just can't stop

13»

Posts

  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten very far into the game yet, but I think you could argue that your pre-amnesiac self is the true villain of the story. Seems like most of your time is spent trying to fix problems that he created.

    As for the money problems that @Tumin mentioned, I do think it's pretty terrible that the game gets stuck in an unwinnable state if you allow nightfall to come without securing a place to sleep. This isn't a 1990's Sierra point-and-click! A modern game should at least have the decency of killing you if you're created a situation where you can't progress. It wouldn't take much to just have the screen fade to black and a newspaper appear saying, "Frozen corpse of local cop found on street corner."

    Or better yet, have your character wake up the next morning with all but one health bar depleted. Still a harsh punishment, but at least you have the option of continuing the game in your weakened condition if you wish to do so.

  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I took the second archetype and was a little drunk while actually playing the game and ended up spending an initial skill point ON Inland Empire on top of my ability already being 5 and it being my signature skill so it's now like... an eight?

    Anyway had a two minutes conversation with a mailbox.

    I've got like zero money though which I think is gonna be an issue.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    kimechrono_travellerschuss
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've got like zero money though which I think is gonna be an issue.

    Spoiler alert: It will be.

    Hope you're not too proud to panhandle.

    CroakerBC
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've got like zero money though which I think is gonna be an issue.

    Spoiler alert: It will be.

    Hope you're not too proud to panhandle.

    Yeah I looked at a brief "What I wish I knew about DE" list and discovered it's gonna be an issue.

    I'm pleasantly still confused whether or not I am actually a cop like six hours into the game which is an endless delight.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I took the second archetype and was a little drunk while actually playing the game and ended up spending an initial skill point ON Inland Empire on top of my ability already being 5 and it being my signature skill so it's now like... an eight?
    Anyway had a two minutes conversation with a mailbox.
    I've got like zero money though which I think is gonna be an issue.
    Fortunately, that archetype has good odds of being able to pull off begging for money... as long as you can find the right person to ask.

  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hoo boy.
    Found Ruby. That didn't go well.
    And then the "Tribunal" happened, and... a bunch of people died. Thankfully I had the armor on.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    Ending Of The Game Spoilers
    What I like most about this game is how, after all of the events that took place, the murderer was just a racist asshole with a gun. There was no big conspiracy and I can see how that can piss off a lot of people. But that's what I love about this game. It doesn't need to be a big Game of Throne scheme to push the pieces to take over the harbor. Nah, instead a racist got jealous with what he saw and he took the shot and went to bed.

    Then it gets bat shit crazy when that weird stick insect showed up.

    Casually Hardcore on
    Movitz
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Hoo boy.
    Found Ruby. That didn't go well.
    And then the "Tribunal" happened, and... a bunch of people died. Thankfully I had the armor on.
    If you're interested, the best you can take out of that scenario is
    Kim not badly injured, four Hardies (and Elizabeth) standing. Though there's one Hardie who won't show based on prior circumstances and always dies if he shows, so the best you can play for out of the Tribunal is Kim + Elizabeth + three Hardies.
    You're going to take a bullet no matter what.

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    One thing I wish these games would do is have a "give me the reader's digest version" setting that just cuts out the more tertiary world-building text. I don't want to miss side quests, but I also don't want to read a novel's worth of backstory that isn't relevant to the core plot, and boy is there a lot of that in this game. There isn't really a good way to separate out what matters to me and what doesn't.

  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Hoo boy.
    Found Ruby. That didn't go well.
    And then the "Tribunal" happened, and... a bunch of people died. Thankfully I had the armor on.
    If you're interested, the best you can take out of that scenario is
    Kim not badly injured, four Hardies (and Elizabeth) standing. Though there's one Hardie who won't show based on prior circumstances and always dies if he shows, so the best you can play for out of the Tribunal is Kim + Elizabeth + three Hardies.
    You're going to take a bullet no matter what.
    Yeah, I’m glad that Kim got out relatively unharmed. Kim is good.

    Elizabeth dying is the one I wish I could have stopped.

    I assume I needed more evidence... but I just ran out of time and arguments.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Glazius wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Hoo boy.
    Found Ruby. That didn't go well.
    And then the "Tribunal" happened, and... a bunch of people died. Thankfully I had the armor on.
    If you're interested, the best you can take out of that scenario is
    Kim not badly injured, four Hardies (and Elizabeth) standing. Though there's one Hardie who won't show based on prior circumstances and always dies if he shows, so the best you can play for out of the Tribunal is Kim + Elizabeth + three Hardies.
    You're going to take a bullet no matter what.
    Yeah, I’m glad that Kim got out relatively unharmed. Kim is good.

    Elizabeth dying is the one I wish I could have stopped.

    I assume I needed more evidence... but I just ran out of time and arguments.

    I just finished that scene... (actually, I haven't played in a few days, but that's where I ended.)
    I ended up with four of the Hardies dead, Kim almost completely unscathed, but I still took a bullet. At first I was confused, because after dodging the sniper's shot it said that I was being shot at "point-blank in the chest" by the leader, and because I was wearing the armor cuirass I figured I could take the hit as I'd studied the armor and found it to be nigh-invulnerable. Instead, the "point-blank" shot hit me in the leg.

    I mean, I probably should have had my own gun when I wandered into that situation, but Rafael Ambrosius Costeau is a peace officer, dammit.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Glazius wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Hoo boy.
    Found Ruby. That didn't go well.
    And then the "Tribunal" happened, and... a bunch of people died. Thankfully I had the armor on.
    If you're interested, the best you can take out of that scenario is
    Kim not badly injured, four Hardies (and Elizabeth) standing. Though there's one Hardie who won't show based on prior circumstances and always dies if he shows, so the best you can play for out of the Tribunal is Kim + Elizabeth + three Hardies.
    You're going to take a bullet no matter what.
    Yeah, I’m glad that Kim got out relatively unharmed. Kim is good.

    Elizabeth dying is the one I wish I could have stopped.

    I assume I needed more evidence... but I just ran out of time and arguments.

    I just finished that scene... (actually, I haven't played in a few days, but that's where I ended.)
    I ended up with four of the Hardies dead, Kim almost completely unscathed, but I still took a bullet. At first I was confused, because after dodging the sniper's shot it said that I was being shot at "point-blank in the chest" by the leader, and because I was wearing the armor cuirass I figured I could take the hit as I'd studied the armor and found it to be nigh-invulnerable. Instead, the "point-blank" shot hit me in the leg.

    I mean, I probably should have had my own gun when I wandered into that situation, but Rafael Ambrosius Costeau is a peace officer, dammit.
    I can't be 100% sure of this, but it might just be that you have to
    fire the first shot/make the first aggressive move. Exceptional mental skills will help you keep anyone from getting shot while you realize talking is a dead end, since the mercs showed up liquored and their moral compass has been a public spectacle for the past week.
    The best you can do is, perversely, talk them into lowering their guard to get a bonus to the first strike.

  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    One thing I wish these games would do is have a "give me the reader's digest version" setting that just cuts out the more tertiary world-building text. I don't want to miss side quests, but I also don't want to read a novel's worth of backstory that isn't relevant to the core plot, and boy is there a lot of that in this game. There isn't really a good way to separate out what matters to me and what doesn't.
    I think that this is pretty much at cross purposes with what the game is. It’s very much *not* about its core plot, or at least no lore than it is about the world, the characters and the protagonist finding or making a place for himself in all of this. The murder plot is a scaffold on which to hang the meat of the game. If those things don’t matter to you, then the game doesn’t matter to you. Which is fair enough, but you’re wishing Disco Elysium to be something it fundamentally *isn’t*.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    Zek wrote: »
    One thing I wish these games would do is have a "give me the reader's digest version" setting that just cuts out the more tertiary world-building text. I don't want to miss side quests, but I also don't want to read a novel's worth of backstory that isn't relevant to the core plot, and boy is there a lot of that in this game. There isn't really a good way to separate out what matters to me and what doesn't.
    In a game with a different philosophy I'd agree with you, but a big point of this game is that you have to decide for yourself what's relevant. Especially when following the case line - if you want somebody's help you can present various bits of evidence, but if the evidence doesn't line up with what you're asking of them, it can make it harder to get their help.
    You have (arguably deliberately) put yourself in a situation where you don't know what matters anymore, and the game is encouraging you to take in the whole of it by peppering 5 xp deduction bonuses and the thought cabinet bennies for art/wompty/politics all through the dialogue tree.

    Glazius on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    One thing I wish these games would do is have a "give me the reader's digest version" setting that just cuts out the more tertiary world-building text. I don't want to miss side quests, but I also don't want to read a novel's worth of backstory that isn't relevant to the core plot, and boy is there a lot of that in this game. There isn't really a good way to separate out what matters to me and what doesn't.
    In a game with a different philosophy I'd agree with you, but a big point of this game is that you have to decide for yourself what's relevant. Especially when following the case line - if you want somebody's help you can present various bits of evidence, but if the evidence doesn't line up with what you're asking of them, it can make it harder to get their help.
    You have (arguably deliberately) put yourself in a situation where you don't know what matters anymore, and the game is encouraging you to take in the whole of it by peppering 5 xp deduction bonuses and the thought cabinet bennies for art/wompty/politics all through the dialogue tree.

    At first I wish there was a shorter version of some of the areas, but I began to realize that it was up to me to decide what I care about. I got really bored with the socialist v. fascist stuff and the historical revolution so I just started answering the 'I don't know' or 'I don't care' because that's not who my cop was. My cop was a freak of nature who clearly believes in ghosts and has weird pseudoscientific conversations with everyday objects. He's all in the paranormal and the murder, but everything else, eh?

    In a similar note I've started over after 6 hours because having a 5 psyche character with 8 in Inland Empire was just getting way too out there for a first time playthrough - kind of when I tried to do Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines as a Malkavian the first time based on what I had read. That was dumb because you get wrapped up in the metaphysical part of the game without actually finishing what it was about.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    In a similar note I've started over after 6 hours because having a 5 psyche character with 8 in Inland Empire was just getting way too out there for a first time playthrough - kind of when I tried to do Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines as a Malkavian the first time based on what I had read. That was dumb because you get wrapped up in the metaphysical part of the game without actually finishing what it was about.
    With that experience, you might have a good time if you play the three standard builds in order. INT/MOT to see the stuff that actually exists in the world, PSY/FYS to work off hunches and instinct, FYS/MOT as the "your brain cannot help you here, Hobocop" run.
    (I went 3/4/2/3 INT signature for a little bit of everything.)

  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Great game!

  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Fucking hell that conversation with Sylvie if you have enough Empathy to push through what happened. God that hits a close to home with a few nights I drank too much and made a total asshole out of myself.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    Glazius
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Fucking hell that conversation with Sylvie if you have enough Empathy to push through what happened. God that hits a close to home with a few nights I drank too much and made a total asshole out of myself.

    That conversation turned me into Sorry Cop

    Glazius
Sign In or Register to comment.