As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who Watches HBO's [Watchmen]?

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So, a funny thing is happening with this show, where I like it so much that I can actively feel myself losing my mind and over-investing and reading too much into shit

BUT

Allow me to ramble on about how we're gonna see some daggum Indians in this motherfucker
    So, we had an episode called "Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship," no gettin' around that one.

Tonight, we had an FBI agent directly mention that 7th Kavalry is a Custer reference. He dismisses this fact as, "Probably irrelevant." He's shown in the rest of the monologue to be a dipshit.

And then we have Veidt and the "Game Warden." That fuckin' scene, y'all. When you have buffalo and the Lone Ranger, you are SO FIRMLY in Indian Country. The eradication of buffalo was an active, intentional act of genocide. It was an attempt to starve out plains Indians, to irreparably disrupt their way of life. But the buffalo made it, and so did the Indians.

As for the Lone Ranger? His sidekick was Tonto. The Lone Ranger has a lot of other baggage (see also: Bass Reeves and the cold open of this show), but Tonto was a racist caricature who had global reach. He's, arguably, the most famous Indian. And he's fake. An insulting fiction. And yet, you don't have the Lone Ranger without him. That there have been so many Lone Ranger references, and no Tonto, is a significant absence.

Now, here's where I'm gonna make a bit of a leap. I feel like the show is beginning to steer towards questions of "sidekicks." Of exploited supporters left out of the grand narrative. In this episode, Veidt's clones are an obvious instance. But we've also got Laurie telling a story about the invisible woman behind the famous men. We get Petey, building a life in shadows. We get our first real instance of Pirate Jenny talking.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part - I'm embarrassingly into this show. But it feels like this show is building to a place of, "Culturally, what are our unknown unknowns? What do we miss, willingly or unwillingly?" In my mind, "native people" is one pretty big answer.

America does not exist without the exploitation of natives. Without pushing us to the margins. I FEEL like Watchmen is steering towards a confrontation of this fact. I could be wrong! But there's, like, a LOT going on in the margins.

Also, Doc Manhattan is on Mars and that's the Red Planet. Just sayin'.

i wasn't so crash hot on this idea at first, particularly the angle on
    'sidekicks' explicitly, which seems a little less relevant to the watchmen universe than some of the other hero tropes it tends to deal with. however, thinking about this in retrospect two other things angle us towards it:

- angela's eulogy. i don't know the reference and the lyrics escape me but i do recall it was about a dog. a trusty dog, a man's best friend dog, a loyal sidekick... but a dog. less than human. invisible when it matters. she took all day to write this eulogy. she was processing her emotions about her relationship to judd.
    - laurie's connection with the owl ship at the end. she was very pleased to see it. and who do we know is driving it? there's going to be a relationship there. but hold tight, because...

the 'joke' in the episode's metastructure was less of a joke than it was a lesson in narrative design. what is introduced early and made to feel invisible will return to give us denoument. the night owl is increasingly a presence that must come on screen, for example. the joke characterises him as 'too soft', hard to believe from the mouth of god, but indicating a moral compass the show is direly wanting. but it's not about him - it's about pirate jenny. how did she get the ship?

the invisible woman at the end of the narrative, if you'll recall, was the inventor's daughter

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gonna be crushed, absolutely gutted, if this song is never used on this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2AVQVdeTL8

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    watching this episode now

hey did I just see a newspaper that indicated that John Grisham is a supreme court justice

6F32U1X.png
    so that phonebooth doesn't do jack shit, right

6F32U1X.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t take a stab either ways until we meet Lary Trieu and start learning what her deal is

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    One thing I find intriguing is
    how nothing anyone says or believes about Dr Manhattan lines up at all with how his story ended in the comic. People seem to have some really well defined ideas about him (that he's on Mars, that he can't look like normal humans) that don't make even the slightest sense.

This Craig Mazin/Damon Lindelof podcast about the show is really good.

Lindelof is a) Really fucking smart b) Really generous with sharing credit and c) Describes a writers room that sounds like an absolute fucking dream to work in. Mazin has an infectious enthusiasm that's super endearing. Just a real fun listen all around.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This Craig Mazin/Damon Lindelof podcast about the show is really good.

Lindelof is a) Really fucking smart b) Really generous with sharing credit and c) Describes a writers room that sounds like an absolute fucking dream to work in. Mazin has an infectious enthusiasm that's super endearing. Just a real fun listen all around.

Wow that’s surprising to hear. Lindelof has always come off very poorly to me. Maybe I’ll listen to the podcast to rid myself of my distaste of him if nothing else.

Quire.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    how nothing anyone says or believes about Dr Manhattan lines up at all with how his story ended in the comic. People seem to have some really well defined ideas about him (that he's on Mars, that he can't look like normal humans) that don't make even the slightest sense.

That's true for comics readers, as well:
    I see a lot of angry comments about how Dr. Manhattan is supposed to have left the universe to go and create his own version of humanity. Where this is true, I'm getting hints that what his story is about now is what happened after that didn't work out.

That's especially true if Veidt's very limited companions end up aligning with Dr. Manhattan's "new humanity" in some way.

Jeremy Irons is delivering his lines like every single one could be followed by a smash cut to a spinning newspaper and I love it so much

6F32U1X.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Craigopogo wrote: »

That's true for comics readers, as well:
    I see a lot of angry comments about how Dr. Manhattan is supposed to have left the universe to go and create his own version of humanity. Where this is true, I'm getting hints that what his story is about now is what happened after that didn't work out.

That's especially true if Veidt's very limited companions end up aligning with Dr. Manhattan's "new humanity" in some way.
    Isn't it possible that Dr. Manhattan could be on Mars and elsewhere at the same time? I mean, he can create copies of himself, I'm not sure if he's limited by distance from copies.

Also, what the heck exactly happened to Mars at the end there? To me, it seemed to be implied that he had teleported the planet somewhere else, maybe?

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    No, that was just a focus trick to single out the red planet for a minute to imply
    the doctor had thrown that car. Is it the car that got picked up earlier, though?

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    No, that was just a focus trick to single out the red planet for a minute to imply
    the doctor had thrown that car. Is it the car that got picked up earlier, though?
    it is Angela's car, yes

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Holy shit that was a good episode of TV

hey I just wanna make sure if any of you love this show and did not watch The Leftovers you gotta get on that shit like yesterday

6F32U1X.png
    If you need an actor who is generally amiable and upbeat but is DEFINITELY up to something and you have absolutely no idea what

why not get James Wolk?

6F32U1X.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    If you need an actor who is generally amiable and upbeat but is DEFINITELY up to something and you have absolutely no idea what

why not get James Wolk?
    pretty sure that guy's calvary, not like 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. It would actually be a way better dodge if he totally wasn't and was just like drastically tone deaf. However his insistence at continually outing Sister Night is pretty obvious at this point.

why not get James Wolk?

Hello, Other Person on Earth Who Watched Lonestar!

why not get James Wolk?

I'm sorry to say I cannot join you on this one

I'm thinking about...him

source.gif

6F32U1X.png
    "So this role is sort of a 'Lee Pace' role, but we don't want anybody to accidentally think, 'This guy probably earned the power he has.''"

"Have you considered James Wolk?"

"Perfect!"

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

why not get James Wolk?

I'm sorry to say I cannot join you on this one

I'm thinking about...him

source.gif

Oh fuck he is that guy

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

why not get James Wolk?

Lonestar was Good.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

why not get James Wolk?

how dare you

i watched lonestar and tell you how much i didn't like it constantly

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited November 2019

why not get James Wolk?

*A faint whistling of wind*

Poorochondriac on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    fucking
    a weird baby lake? okay, sure

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Holy shit, the second Peteypedia entry for this week.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    "You're fucking weird."

"And you are adequately self-aware to recognize the hypocrisy of that remark"

I love Tim Blake Nelson. That line is overwritten as hell but goddamn if he didn't sell it with his delivery

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I wonder if he can actually see out of that terrifying mask

I want one

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    I lost my utter shit at everything about the lube man sequence

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ok, well that scene with Jeremy Irons takes over as the biggest WTF in the show so far.

So is Lube Man-
    Petey?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ok so that episode opened so many windows of possibilities.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I lost my utter shit at everything about the lube man sequence

I also lost it but I was in stitches because the character said, "what the fuck?" at the exact both times I said it. It was so good.

I really dig this show.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Lube man:

He reminds me a lot of the "criminal" that Nite Owl reminisce about in Watchmen whose kink was getting beat up by superheroes - whom Rorschach proceeded to take over the edge.

Maybe it's just a little bit of world building to remind us of where we are, that somehow this world is like 3% wierder then our own.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Lube man is the hero we need

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    My girlfriend had to pause after Lubeman cause she couldn't stop laughing.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I thought lube man was covering himself in napalm to die a horrible death

it was actually much funnier!

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    I thought lube man was covering himself in napalm to die a horrible death

it was actually much funnier!

Yeah, right before I said "Is he going to light himself on fire?". Just as I finished he did his thing.

So I'm starting to go into gonzo places of my thoughts of where this is going.
    So. The family Lady Trieu gets the farm from at the beginning were the Clarks. Farmers without a child. Owning a farm where an object from space falls. Emphasis on the name Clark once again.

Is there about to be another superpowered individual and does she want to make sure it doesn't fall into the control of the American government once again? Given Dr Manhattan won the Vietnam War in this universe.

aGPmIBD.jpg