As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What MMO Universe?

1246

Posts

  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Ferrus wrote: »
    cr0w wrote: »
    World of Darkness. A White Wolf MMO would probably destroy my social life.

    And everyone will be some kind of emo-goth vampire or a furry werewolf. Heh. :P

    Hells no. I'm going Mage. Though I can't imagine any possible way that they could implement Paradox into a computer game.

    Or Delirium or, for Mages, anything but Rotes for that matter.

    Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Your mom

    Online

    olol

    Probably something like Battletech because I like Mechwarriors.

    PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Foundation.

    Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    PAC-MAN MMO

    just because whoever could actually make one would pretty much ascend divinely for accomplishing such a stupid, and yet impossible task.

    it would be giant maze dungeon crawls that are not instanced, you fight ghosts for loot only and clearing a dungeon gives skillz points to lvl up with. i picture Pac-mans working together to open gates and over come traps.

    Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Probably something like Battletech because I like Mechwarriors.

    Prepare to weep.


    I know I did.

    piL on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Despite the bugs, I liked 3025. I think the only thing I didn't like was the Solaris balance, which made the AC/2 the most powerful weapon in the game.

    Pb on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, Armored Core. That would be amazing. Raven's Ark could be a hangout for PC's, who are mercenaries, right? Gain money (not exp) to customize your wicked sweet core. Party up or take it solo. Ranked PvP, that ties in with the PvE. Are you ready to hear this? It will rock your box.

    Duel other Ravens to gain more money and fame and such. But check this; the higher you rank in PvP, the more corporations will want you to do missions for them, for more money. Plus, if you rank high enough, corps will send you a contract for second-party partnership for HUGE pay. Been doing tons of missions for Crest AND ranked #1 in the world? Welcome to the team, son. That would be hella awesome. Oh, and you could customize not only your mech, but your pilot too, so when you hang in the Ark, you look the part.

    Fuckin' sweet.

    I have no idea why everyone loves mech MMO's but I can't seem to find them. Do it up well, and you'd be rolling in dough.

    Kazaka on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Despite the bugs, I liked 3025. I think the only thing I didn't like was the Solaris balance, which made the AC/2 the most powerful weapon in the game.

    I loved it. I'm thinking of every MMO I've ever "grinded" on, and there are none that were more fun.


    None.

    piL on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A good zombie MMO.

    tehmarken on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    tehmarken wrote: »
    A good zombie MMO.

    I'd love to have something like dead rising in a persistent world, co-op. not so much massive but at least an MORPG.

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would like to see a Final Fantasy MMO, but greater then FFXI. Bigger, more open, just a better, more alive world, filled with all the wonder of a real FF, like ten or twelve. Man, twelve was the shit. Undertown, or whatever the city underneath Rabanastre was, I thought that was a wicked cool touch. It had pimpin' music as well. I want to see cool things like that in an MMORPG.

    Kazaka on
  • muessmuess Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A MMO based on Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana during the time it's under the tyrants control would be pretty cool imo.

    muess on
  • GroslonGroslon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aliens, Predator, and Marines as a squad based MMOFPS.

    All three factions are at war over control of key planets in an expansive universe. Each faction would have a variety of different classes that all shared a common theme. Marines, for example would all be specialist at ranged combat, but players could have a variety of weapons to choose from to determine their role on the battlefield. Aliens would be very tough close combat specialist and would choose from a variety of different heritages that would allow then different abilities. Predator hunters would be a stealth based middle ground; proficient in both melee and ranged combat, but a master of neither. In this way the factions would not be balanced by programming, but by terrain. Aliens would excell indoors in close quarters, Humans in areas with open fields of fire, and the Predators would be decent in both.

    Class selection/progression would work like in many popular online shooters do today. When the players dies, they select from a list of weapons/abilities/gadgets and over time weapon and gear upgrades are unlocked. That way, if your group really needs a sniper you can line up your sights, but your weapon and gear wouldn't be as good as your squad's dedicated sniper.

    Tune it towards EVE a bit and let people form up into clan-like Legion/Hive/Hunting Parties and give them the ability to capture and control areas on the planets. Now give certain areas strategic importance. Not some crappy point based strategic value, but real importance, like spaceports, mines, fuel depots, and the like. These areas would provide a similar but lore specific advantage to each faction. Capture mines to provide resources to hire (or spawn) NPCs for the base, fuel for interstelar travel, and spaceports for trade. Allow clans the ability to purchase special equipment like tanks, Queens, or hunting bikes.

    As long as each planet contained a decent mix of terrain types it would be very difficult for one faction to push the other three off completely. And even then, Predators would fine their niche taking over the areas that were to the other faction's disadvantage.

    Now, add in atmospherics like fogbanks, forests, and good lighting effects and let 'em loose. I can imagine midnight raids on enemy strongholds. Deep spawning pits unleashing countless hordes upon the planet. Trophy rooms stacked high with the polished skulls of your enemies. Twisting forest temples infested with writhing black carapaces. Cities that have been purged with fire, and are now vigilantly watched over by heavily armed Marines.

    Hell, I'd play it.

    Groslon on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've read this thread, and I didn't see anyone mention Fallout.

    What. the. Fuck.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I've read this thread, and I didn't see anyone mention Fallout.

    What. the. Fuck.

    Because they'd never get it right. It'd totally be real-time and non-isometric which is NOT FALLOUT.
    don't hurt me :)

    Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    piL wrote: »
    PotU wrote: »
    Probably something like Battletech because I like Mechwarriors.

    Prepare to weep.


    I know I did.

    Jesus Fucking Christ, EA, you bastards.

    Seriously, their villany seems to know no bounds. I wish I could hate them to death.

    3lwap0 on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I've read this thread, and I didn't see anyone mention Fallout.

    What. the. Fuck.

    Because they'd never get it right. It'd totally be real-time and non-isometric which is NOT FALLOUT.
    don't hurt me :)

    Plus, it's quite likely that they wouldn't allow you to aim for the groin.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I've read this thread, and I didn't see anyone mention Fallout.

    What. the. Fuck.

    Didn't do a very good job of reading; was mentioned on page 4,
    fallout

    EDIT: also, a good starwars mmo would be pretty cool too.
    ...and 5,
    PaperPlate wrote: »
    A Fallout MMO would be neat but it wouldn't really fit since the whole point of a MMO is to be massive, something I don't think Fallout should be. I mean the world was destroyed sans people in vaults, mutities, ghouls, etc. Would be hard to work out but would be hot.

    I second a Zombie MMO.

    PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Groslon wrote: »
    Aliens, Predator, and Marines as a squad based MMOFPS.

    All three factions are at war over control of key planets in an expansive universe. Each faction would have a variety of different classes that all shared a common theme. Marines, for example would all be specialist at ranged combat, but players could have a variety of weapons to choose from to determine their role on the battlefield. Aliens would be very tough close combat specialist and would choose from a variety of different heritages that would allow then different abilities. Predator hunters would be a stealth based middle ground; proficient in both melee and ranged combat, but a master of neither. In this way the factions would not be balanced by programming, but by terrain. Aliens would excell indoors in close quarters, Humans in areas with open fields of fire, and the Predators would be decent in both.

    Class selection/progression would work like in many popular online shooters do today. When the players dies, they select from a list of weapons/abilities/gadgets and over time weapon and gear upgrades are unlocked. That way, if your group really needs a sniper you can line up your sights, but your weapon and gear wouldn't be as good as your squad's dedicated sniper.

    Tune it towards EVE a bit and let people form up into clan-like Legion/Hive/Hunting Parties and give them the ability to capture and control areas on the planets. Now give certain areas strategic importance. Not some crappy point based strategic value, but real importance, like spaceports, mines, fuel depots, and the like. These areas would provide a similar but lore specific advantage to each faction. Capture mines to provide resources to hire (or spawn) NPCs for the base, fuel for interstelar travel, and spaceports for trade. Allow clans the ability to purchase special equipment like tanks, Queens, or hunting bikes.

    As long as each planet contained a decent mix of terrain types it would be very difficult for one faction to push the other three off completely. And even then, Predators would fine their niche taking over the areas that were to the other faction's disadvantage.

    Now, add in atmospherics like fogbanks, forests, and good lighting effects and let 'em loose. I can imagine midnight raids on enemy strongholds. Deep spawning pits unleashing countless hordes upon the planet. Trophy rooms stacked high with the polished skulls of your enemies. Twisting forest temples infested with writhing black carapaces. Cities that have been purged with fire, and are now vigilantly watched over by heavily armed Marines.

    Hell, I'd play it.

    Or you could do exactly the same thing with Starcraft and have it sell much better.

    I wonder if that's a sign of how generic science fiction can be, or how generic MMO gameplay is.

    jothki on
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Groslon wrote: »
    Aliens, Predator, and Marines as a squad based MMOFPS.

    All three factions are at war over control of key planets in an expansive universe. Each faction would have a variety of different classes that all shared a common theme. Marines, for example would all be specialist at ranged combat, but players could have a variety of weapons to choose from to determine their role on the battlefield. Aliens would be very tough close combat specialist and would choose from a variety of different heritages that would allow then different abilities. Predator hunters would be a stealth based middle ground; proficient in both melee and ranged combat, but a master of neither. In this way the factions would not be balanced by programming, but by terrain. Aliens would excell indoors in close quarters, Humans in areas with open fields of fire, and the Predators would be decent in both.

    Class selection/progression would work like in many popular online shooters do today. When the players dies, they select from a list of weapons/abilities/gadgets and over time weapon and gear upgrades are unlocked. That way, if your group really needs a sniper you can line up your sights, but your weapon and gear wouldn't be as good as your squad's dedicated sniper.

    Tune it towards EVE a bit and let people form up into clan-like Legion/Hive/Hunting Parties and give them the ability to capture and control areas on the planets. Now give certain areas strategic importance. Not some crappy point based strategic value, but real importance, like spaceports, mines, fuel depots, and the like. These areas would provide a similar but lore specific advantage to each faction. Capture mines to provide resources to hire (or spawn) NPCs for the base, fuel for interstelar travel, and spaceports for trade. Allow clans the ability to purchase special equipment like tanks, Queens, or hunting bikes.

    As long as each planet contained a decent mix of terrain types it would be very difficult for one faction to push the other three off completely. And even then, Predators would fine their niche taking over the areas that were to the other faction's disadvantage.

    Now, add in atmospherics like fogbanks, forests, and good lighting effects and let 'em loose. I can imagine midnight raids on enemy strongholds. Deep spawning pits unleashing countless hordes upon the planet. Trophy rooms stacked high with the polished skulls of your enemies. Twisting forest temples infested with writhing black carapaces. Cities that have been purged with fire, and are now vigilantly watched over by heavily armed Marines.

    Hell, I'd play it.

    Or you could do exactly the same thing with Starcraft and have it sell much better.

    I wonder if that's a sign of how generic science fiction can be, or how generic MMO gameplay is.

    I think the later; MMO's are stale and less varied while science fiction in general quite varied. The fact that we have endless amounts of fantasy MMO's doesn't help the situation. I think I can count only three major MMO's, Anarchy Online, EVE Online, and Earth & Beyond, that have taken up the SciFi card. Though there are a few in beta or in the works, the genre just has little variation. Pretty much the same games all wrapped up a little differently.

    PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A Song of Ice and Fire MMO


    Would require a diplomacy/political system as well.

    Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Aqua DarkAqua Dark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but a post nuclear holocaust would be fun.

    could be a modern setting on a destroyed planet, with radioactive beasts and mutants, warring nomadic clans looking for a safe place to settle, and awsome psychic abilities due to the radiation.

    Think about it, how cool would it be to walk amungst the ruins of the most popular cities on earth?

    AND it would NOT be a fantasy MMO full of Elves and Orcs, just people(granted some really fucked up people).

    Aqua Dark on
    There are such things as stupid questions, and you know what they are: so do not ask them!

    World of Warcraft IS a drug, if you are playing it seek rehab immediately.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aqua Dark wrote: »
    Dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but a post nuclear holocaust would be fun.

    Fallout has been mentioned a couple of times already.

    Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Aqua DarkAqua Dark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No i am talking about something that takes place i the 40's and set humanity back to the stoneage, forced to scrounge on what little is left.

    Not the furutistic world of fallout, although the game should have the same dark tone.

    Aqua Dark on
    There are such things as stupid questions, and you know what they are: so do not ask them!

    World of Warcraft IS a drug, if you are playing it seek rehab immediately.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You know what guys...
    warriors_cover.jpg

    I'd play the hell out of it... <3

    Lucky Cynic on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Dark Sun.

    There already was one, on the TEN network over a decade ago, and it was fucking fantastic. I still miss that game.

    The Sneak! on
  • Wonder BreadWonder Bread Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think that The Dark Tower series by Stephen King could make a really good MMORPG/MMOFPS if it was done properly, but the production team would have to think outside of the box, and not rely on cliches, so I doubt that that's ever going to happen.

    Wonder Bread on
  • Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Post-apoc MMOFPS with a very strong emphasis on realism, grittiness, survival, and a horror-esque atmosphere.

    The above is also the only way I'd want a zombie game.

    Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what guys...
    warriors_cover.jpg

    I'd play the hell out of it... <3

    with player-created theme gangs, ohyes

    INeedNoSalt on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wasn't there being a cops & crooks MMO being made at some point?

    Scooter on
  • ScribbleScribble Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I agree with Dune... but I'm not sure how they would do the whole spice trip thing.
    Would be sweet working your way up to a healthy addiction of melange though.

    Perma-Death for not being able to convert the spice essence.

    Scribble on
    Pokemon Diamond Code - 4983 2060 3533
    PBR Code - 5240 9040 9281
  • Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Necro post!

    I just posted an editorial at Massively going over the seemingly likely prospect of an Elder Scrolls MMO. (Which, I might add, was forecasted in this thread.)

    I'm not really allowed to debate in the comments over there, so I wanted to post something here so I could talk about it more. Personally, I think Elder Scrolls would be a pretty shitty universe for an MMO. It's nice and big, but I want to be the motherfucking Nerevarine, not some bumfuck red guard amongst a bunch of other bumfuck elves and what have you.

    Chad Sexington on
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From the ancient shadows of obscurity I strike with geekly power!

    DangerousJourneys.jpg

    Also Shadowrun and Vamp: TM in an alternate universe where Troika and the PnP setting didn't die.

    Barring that stuff Ravenloft.

    (I liked Bloodlines so much I checked out the state of the PnP with Requiem and found I couldn't stand the new system. I didn't realize it'd be possible to make Vampire more emo but they did it.)

    Otaking on
  • NibNib Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Call of the Cthulu: tentacles, insanity, monsterous shibboleths....

    Nib on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't mind a bioshock MMO - if only because I loved the atmosphere and location so much.

    But I would have a hard on for a zombie apocolypse MMO. You're forced to band together with survivors, create a barricade, gather ammunition and supplies, and hold out. Maybe there could be 'hero classes' where you start with a particular skillset IE cop, doctor, engineer, etc rather than just a suburanite desk worker. And PvP where you raid other settlements and steal their shit. Of course there would be elite government wings and the overarching mystery of just what caused the plague in the first place.

    Ooh or maybe a homeworld MMO?

    Casual Eddy on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Homeworld would be a pretty rad MMO provided it was people with their own mothership and fleet each.

    electricitylikesme on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm guessing you'd have to band together with other players and have collective control of a mothership or more realistically, a carrier group. And then fly around, defending/attacking Hiigara, unlocking ancient secrets, maybe encounter bits of the beast, etc. I'd like it to take place before the second one, if only to be able to
    interact with the bentusi, before they bit the dust.
    If everyone had their own fleet it really wouldn't feel MMORPGy to me, just like regular online play in a persistent world - not that that would be a bad thing, not at all!

    Casual Eddy on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Carrier groups would be good. I'd probably go further and add another level of production vessels below that - a frigate class builder/miner which only makes fighters.

    IMO you'd split it up so the game started with you just commanding squads of fighters and a few frigates, and then moves up from their in terms of character progression. Control of star systems, nebulas etc. would of course be vital to allowing player empires.

    electricitylikesme on
  • UzikUzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd love to see a colonial era MMO.

    Could play as different factions (English, Spanish, American, Natives etc.).

    Fight with muskets and cannons and stuff. Would be an awesome MMOFPS imo.

    Uzik on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I might have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I suppose another plug wouldn't hurt: I really wish Banpresto would try what Bandai did and do an MMO based on their SRW: OG stuff. They don't even have to change much from what Bandai did, just have some more diverse locals than "Australian wasteland" and put a bigger emphesis on resource/territory battling and prototype development and manufacturing (and do an international release).
    Uzik wrote: »
    I'd love to see a colonial era MMO.

    Could play as different factions (English, Spanish, American, Natives etc.).

    Fight with muskets and cannons and stuff. Would be an awesome MMOFPS imo.
    Have you given Grenado Espada a shot? It's a KRPG and seems a lot more spanish-flavored than everything else, but it definetily does a pretty good job of capturing the style and spirit of the era.

    Sorenson on
Sign In or Register to comment.