As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Completely agreed. The right is blasting their message 24/7/365 through every media they can buy, while the left seems content to sit quietly except for one month every four years. And then wonders why they can't make in-roads with voters and why they are becoming toxic to an increasing portion of the population.

The viceral and personal hatred many voters feel for Clinton, Wynn, and Trudeau, isn't random. It's the result of literally years of sustained propaganda efforts by the right.

On the one hand I really hate the general sound and implications of "breaking the right's stranglehold requires controlling more of the media" given their obsession with the mythical Liberal Media Conspiracy all over the place. On the other hand, it's not like you're wrong, especially when less traditional media outlets are grabbing onto that already-grabbed population and radicalizing them considerably more. Blurgh.

(I'm also just now considering whether the liberal media myth is in part priming people to react to pushing back against the actual conservative media monolith in a "see? see?!" kind of way..)

Agreed that people do need to be way more active about things though. Probably the most frustrating thing about the election was how absolutely on fire some of the candidates (and Singh in particular) got - in the last couple of weeks of a longish general election campaign.

Where was that when the writ dropped? Where was that in, say, 2017?

Permenant campaigns suck - just look at the neighbours - but the Conservatives coasting into office in every other provincial and federal election due to apathy in the off season sucks more.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Id like to congratulate the Alberta UCP party for pissing off a huge chunk of Alberta Public Servants, Unions, Students, Cities etc etc. Not that it will change how this province votes...

The only way I see how our various provinces significantly change their votes, especially Alberta, is if the Left leaning starts owning local media sources as a part of the public record again. Newsletters, radio shows, websites, etc. There are parts of this country where that side of the discourse on everyday local current events is completely nonexistent and it shows at the end of election day's counts.

Completely agreed. The right is blasting their message 24/7/365 through every media they can buy, while the left seems content to sit quietly except for one month every four years. And then wonders why they can't make in-roads with voters and why they are becoming toxic to an increasing portion of the population.

The viceral and personal hatred many voters feel for Clinton, Wynn, and Trudeau, isn't random. It's the result of literally years of sustained propaganda efforts by the right.

The right has infested social media and pumps right-wing propaganda directly into the vulnerable brains of our older generations.

Their decades of chain emails prepared them perfectly for this new world.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Id like to congratulate the Alberta UCP party for pissing off a huge chunk of Alberta Public Servants, Unions, Students, Cities etc etc. Not that it will change how this province votes...

The only way I see how our various provinces significantly change their votes, especially Alberta, is if the Left leaning starts owning local media sources as a part of the public record again. Newsletters, radio shows, websites, etc. There are parts of this country where that side of the discourse on everyday local current events is completely nonexistent and it shows at the end of election day's counts.

The right has infested social media and pumps right-wing propaganda directly into the vulnerable brains of our older generations.

Media companies are are owned by rich (generally white) men.

All the parties on the left have some form of increased taxation on the rich in their platform.

Hence why media in this country has shifted left year after year. Lot's of these have now become the propaganda arm of a whole fucking tax bracket it seems.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

All the parties on the left have some form of increased taxation on the rich in their platform.

Hence why media in this country has shifted left year after year. Lot's of these have now become the propaganda arm of a whole fucking tax bracket it seems.

I think you mean shifted right.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »

I think you mean shifted right.

That I did.

Posting before coffee = bad idea

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Ontario Creates just tweeted this:
    HPSUOjx.png
    I think their use of "Ontario proud" is going to carry some unwanted connotations. At least, I hope they are unwanted.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I did not even know DISCO was made in Ontario. That's awesome!

sig.gif
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I follow Ontario Creates on twitter and they just tweeted this:
    HPSUOjx.png
    I think their use of "Ontario proud" is going to carry some unwanted connotations. At least, I hope they are unwanted.

I think the Alberta version of this campaign is "FUCK OFF ART AND TECH! OIL 4 LYFE!"

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Indeed!

xAzgZsVl.jpg
    BCO1T4hl.jpg
    5JeOaHml.jpg

Spock's house on Vulcan is actually Integral House, a mansion in Toronto's Rosedale neighborhood:

zUjkxUxl.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quUuaQPcXo

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Even in space there are ttc cars

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I follow Ontario Creates on twitter and they just tweeted this:
    HPSUOjx.png

I think the Alberta version of this campaign is "FUCK OFF ART AND TECH! OIL 4 LYFE!"

And that's hilarious because the TV/Movie biz does quite well here.

Fargo & Heartland were/are filmed in Calgary & countless movies are filmed in K-country/ Canmore area. Hell, the new ghost busters was filmed right here. Jason Reitman frequented the gaming cafe that I go to often.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Halifax Nice Scotia had a booming film industry until ... Five years ago? Provincial government axed a media credit / tax break and basically gutted the whole thing. Because an industry that employed youth in a province that can't stop bleeding the young or provide care for the old really needed to help exacerbate that problem.

Hold onto those programs for dear life.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Halifax had a booming film industry until ... Five years ago? Provincial government axed a media credit / tax break and basically gutted the whole thing. Because an industry that employed youth in a province that can't stop bleeding the young or provide care for the old really needed to help exacerbate that problem.

IIRC, it was even pointed out to them how much of a return the government saw on the credit annually. They cut it anyway, and the following year they had a shortfall in the budget by pretty much exactly that amount. It's okay though, because they redirected some of that money to a tax incentive for some accounting jobs ... that never actually materialized. All this after they gave a bunch of money to an out of province consultant who ended up giving them terrible advice that didn't pan out (basically because they didn't feel jobs affiliated with the arts were Real Jobs(TM)).

The film industry here is finally starting to make a slow recovery, but it definitely would have been nice if the government hadn't kneecapped it for no good reason.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Guess it all moved out to BC or to here in the GTA. The tax credits for the video game and film industries seem to have worked out for us (maybe who knows how the cost-benefit analysis works out on this stuff).

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    At the grocery store losing my fucking mind for reasons touched on previously. Hey what if we acknowledged that bottled water was worse than tap water, but threw away every bottle when it was fine and just bought more instead of refilling them?

Shit like this is just what ends me. It isn't even "convenience" as the excuse, because it's worse than that. People are just endlessly fucking lazy and I'm so done with it. RIP everything.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Halifax had a booming film industry until ... Five years ago? Provincial government axed a media credit / tax break and basically gutted the whole thing. Because an industry that employed youth in a province that can't stop bleeding the young or provide care for the old really needed to help exacerbate that problem.

IIRC, it was even pointed out to them how much of a return the government saw on the credit annually. They cut it anyway, and the following year they had a shortfall in the budget by pretty much exactly that amount. It's okay though, because they redirected some of that money to a tax incentive for some accounting jobs ... that never actually materialized. All this after they gave a bunch of money to an out of province consultant who ended up giving them terrible advice that didn't pan out (basically because they didn't feel jobs affiliated with the arts were Real Jobs(TM)).

The film industry here is finally starting to make a slow recovery, but it definitely would have been nice if the government hadn't kneecapped it for no good reason.

The extent to which the premier dug in his heels on that, just like everything else he's done, is kind of infuriating.

We need something other than a conservative government around here already. I don't care about his official party affiliation; McNeil's more of a Tory than MacDonald or Hamm were, and I mean that in the Harper sense rather than the provincial-PCs sense.

• Options
    Even in space there are ttc cars

You mean Bombardier finally delivered them? That really is science-fiction!

sig.gif
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »
    Guess it all moved out to BC or to here in the GTA. The tax credits for the video game and film industries seem to have worked out for us (maybe who knows how the cost-benefit analysis works out on this stuff).

Québec is doing good business in this area as well, at least judging from how many movies I see with the Québec government logo in the credits. I think every recent MCU movie had one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    At the grocery store losing my fucking mind for reasons touched on previously. Hey what if we acknowledged that bottled water was worse than tap water, but threw away every bottle when it was fine and just bought more instead of refilling them?

Shit like this is just what ends me. It isn't even "convenience" as the excuse, because it's worse than that. People are just endlessly fucking lazy and I'm so done with it. RIP everything.

Nestle to my knowledge is still drilling water from a well on a water insecure land in Ontario with a expired permit

Captialism baby and it's gonna respond to climate change lmfao

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    These crazy windstorms in Ontario atm is owning all the above line feeder powerlines that where never replaced cause we privatized all the fucking local utilities and preparing for the future was to much of a pain in the ass

This has only happened I dunno many times before zzzzz

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

It's funny because I think Toronto's Roy Thompson Hall has become the standard go-to sci-fi-looking building for so many shows.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

It's funny because I think Toronto's Roy Thompson Hall has become the standard go-to sci-fi-looking building for so many shows.

I laughed pretty hard when they CGIed a huge tower into Roy Thompson Hall in The Boys and made it the home base of The Seven. And I think The Expanse used RTH too and I think it's filmed in Toronto as well.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »

Québec is doing good business in this area as well, at least judging from how many movies I see with the Québec government logo in the credits. I think every recent MCU movie had one.

My cousin does rigging and lighting for movies and has worked pretty much non-stop for years. Denis Villeneuve films most of his stuff in QC.

Not really Canadian news per say but SHOCK that a pipeline may have some negative side effects?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/keystone-spils-9000-barrels-oil-n-dakota-1.5343509

Who could have predicted this? /s

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular

I laughed pretty hard when they CGIed a huge tower into Roy Thompson Hall in The Boys and made it the home base of The Seven. And I think The Expanse used RTH too and I think it's filmed in Toronto as well.

Yep, The Expanse is shot in Toronto. It's the city of the future, apparently.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Halifax Nice Scotia had a booming film industry until ... Five years ago? Provincial government axed a media credit / tax break and basically gutted the whole thing. Because an industry that employed youth in a province that can't stop bleeding the young or provide care for the old really needed to help exacerbate that problem.

My parents and my brother are all at least tangentially involved in the production and administration side of film industry adjacent things; my father is a card carrying member of the IATSE union. And a pretty large number of their friends were involved in the industry.

There was a lot of rage over the tax credit expiring. There was zero doubt about what the effect would be when it expired. And they were right.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There is a Wexit debate happening on the CBC right now and both parties are into it, the person speaking for it is super way into it and the person speaking against is like kind of into it but thinks other options should be looked into

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    There is a Wexit debate happening on the CBC right now and both parties are into it, the person speaking for it is super way into it and the person speaking against is like kind of into it but thinks other options should be looked into

Oh good, glad to hear that the CBC is following the BBC in amplifying nutbars with minority opinions to drive engagement and controversy.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The CBC really need to learn that when a child throws a tantrum in the middle of the grocery store, you don't respond by asking them which chocolate bar they want.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Oh good, glad to hear that the CBC is following the BBC in amplifying nutbars with minority opinions to drive engagement and controversy.

Right wing nutbars only though.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Elizabeth May is stepping down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/elizabeth-may-green-party-leader-1.5346635?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Federal Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is stepping down as party leader.

Speaking to reporters in Ottawa Monday, May said that she is leaving the post she has held since 2006, effective today.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Woah, Elizabeth May is stepping down as Green Party leader.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think the breakthroughs haven't happened as expected and some missteps during the campaign helped make her decision.

Apparently she promised her daughter beforehand so that too.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    For the best, she's said some nutty things. Her one big moment during the campaign was telling Scheer he wouldn't be PM during the debate.

• Options
    Yeah if the new leader moves away from the anti-vax/anti-wifi stuff, I'd take the Green party much more seriously.

• Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Yeah if the new leader moves away from the anti-vax/anti-wifi stuff, I'd take the Green party much more seriously.

I don't know if those were in the platform because of May's leadership. A new leader could try to broaden appeal by losing some of the worse baggage the party's been carrying, but I don't know how important that stuff is to the Green base.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Re: the former -- at the Green Party convention back in 2016, they passed this (at least it looks like that's what the voting record says, but I might be misreading it):
    Limits of Funding for "Alternative Therapies"
    . . .
    WHEREAS the Green Party rightly embraces science when it comes to global warming, ecology, endangered species, and should therefore demonstrate a consistent commitment to science and evidence in matters of health;
    WHEREAS alternative therapies, by definition, do not fit this standard, since once a therapy is proven it is no longer alternative, therefore all new funding projects must be targeted exclusively to therapies, treatments, and medicines proven to be effective and efficient using research based on established protocols;

BE IT RESOLVED that the GPC adopt a policy that recognizes evidence based and proven therapeutic practices as the gold standard for funding, that for funding purposes, only programs with a demonstrable benefit be supported through national health care dollars.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that proven is understood to mean proven based on scientific evidence, principles, and methods. Only those therapies that meet the gold standard of evidence based on high quality, double-blinded clinical trials, should be promoted to Canadians, who deserve no less. Also, when treatments are proven not to work, there should be a mechanism to have them removed from the list of approved therapies.

re: the latter, this is more recent, but still seems in favour of info flying through the ether in general:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/15/green-party-canada-affordable-internet-cellphone-prices/
    The Green Party of Canada wants to mandate affordable cellphone plans and is asking Canadians to sign a pledge to make this happen. “Greens will mandate affordable cellphone plans by making space for new Canadian companies to provide services and increase competitiveness, decouple payments for phones from services and modernize telecom regulations,” the petition page read.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    this entire thread is unbelievable
    https://mobile.twitter.com/OmarMosleh/status/1190773286528901120

what the hell is happening in alberta

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    this entire thread is unbelievable
    https://mobile.twitter.com/OmarMosleh/status/1190773286528901120

what the hell is happening in alberta

Conservatism

• Options

So isn't the wexit party just going to screw the CPC even more at the federal level?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That's always said about more extreme parties when they turn up. But either they don't make a dent (PPC), or they do make inroads and end up just devouring the original, more moderate party's base, which has the knock-on effect of making their extremism more and more palatable to society because now they have to be treated seriously (Reform->Conservatives).