As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Maybe poutine is a state of mind?

Now I'm picturing yoga classes meditating, trying to achieve poutineness.

I'm already mostly gravy and cheese so... I think I'm getting close!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Stupid living on west coast

There are 5 participating restaurants in the Vancouver area.

There are also several participating restaurants in France.

lol this is so stupid:
    mc3mcbet2a1g.png
    so Moxie's in Kelowna, that's like 5 hour drive away
    Beavertails in Victoria - 1 that's on Vancouver island, 2 that's a donut chain
    so this leaves us with:
    Moxies downtown - meh, chain restaurant
    pourhouse - this looks alright!
    bells and whistles - I CAN WALK HERE FROM MY HOUSE...oh wait "pigskin" poutine. brb throwing up

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

lol this is so stupid:
    bells and whistles - I CAN WALK HERE FROM MY HOUSE...oh wait "pigskin" poutine. brb throwing up

Man, pigskin is just pork rinds if prepared properly. Don't be a wuss! Sounds freakin' delicious to me.

• Options

lol this is so stupid:

Man, pigskin is just pork rinds if prepared properly. Don't be a wuss! Sounds freakin' delicious to me.
    (i'm jewish)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

lol this is so stupid:

(i'm jewish)

Ah, didn't know. Apologies, then.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I think our Moxies went under locally, or high class hooters as we called it. There was some poutine place downtown that I think my wife liked.

Personally, I find it abhorrent. Gravy or vinegar, one or the other but not both on fries.

Also, I know a few bacon eatin' quote unquote jews.

• Options

lol this is so stupid:

(i'm jewish)

Ah, didn't know. Apologies, then.

hahah that's no problem, i've been known to dabble in the forbidden meat from time to time

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    We're......we're still talking about pork, right?

Right, guys?

• Options
    University of Toronto bookstore right now
    ci7hy1yknzd41.jpg
    wooooooooooow

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm p sure those don't help keep the virus off you. I think they may help people who already have it not spread it as much by coughing or sneezing? Not sure.

But anyway, capitalism, you know.

• Options
    Taking advantage of high demand may feel scummy, but it ain't against the law!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm p sure those don't help keep the virus off you. I think they may help people who already have it not spread it as much by coughing or sneezing? Not sure.

I have a coworker with family in China and she sent some masks back to them since I guess its difficult finding them in China for a reasonable price as well now. So, also communism too?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

N95 masks will help, but they're not.. not fun to wear. If you can breathe like normal, it's probably not sealed, kind of not fun.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh boy, union strike vote might be coming in the next couple weeks.

This is going to get legislated back to work so fast we're going to get whiplash.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I'm partial to Poutini's on Queen St. West myself. Something about their gravy is just too good to pass up.

Damnit. I wouldn't call it a 'diet', but I've been eating better this year.

This information is not helping.

Also that website got a laugh. Apparently there are 4 places listed for Toronto, 2 of which are way outside the downtown core (where I am), one of which was a food truck only open over the weekend (awwww, I might have tried that) and the other is only open Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

But, circling back to Poutinis and 'the list of things Forar isn't supposed to be eating'...

Best poutine I've ever had was while in Montreal for work, but a close second was while I was visiting friends in Calgary ages ago. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but for me it's pretty hard to fuck up that mix. Perhaps not having it very often means I've failed to become a proper connoisseur. We had like 3 different variations to share between us. It was a delicious, delicious mistake. One I'm possibly still paying for at the gym, many years later.

Boy, the Canadian thread really does get food based, and becomes surprisingly aggressive over the topic at that.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

This is going to get legislated back to work so fast we're going to get whiplash.

And then they take the government to court and probably win.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

And then they take the government to court and probably win.

Probably, considering how the progress has seemed to not be going on even talking about wages.

But oh god the headaches if we even get even a few days of work stoppage.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

lol this is so stupid:

(i'm jewish)

Go to Belgian Fries on Commercial instead?

https://www.belgianfries.ca/poutines/

:so_raven:
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

The Atlantic had an article about this stuff; mainly it's to keep sickness from getting out of the masked person's face and into the world, but possibly:
    Most of us touch our faces several times every hour, mindlessly, and this is often how we catch viral illnesses. Despite never being especially close to anyone sick, we self-infect by rubbing our nose or eye after touching a mucus-misted surface.

The physical barrier of an elective face mask could help protect us from ourselves, by minimizing inadvertent face touching.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Given the facts that it's not particularly virulent as far as contagious diseases go and we can currently count the number of cases in Canada on one somewhat-mangled hand, I feel pretty comfortable not being taken in by rampant profiteering and taking my chances through the same "maintain hygeine and don't lick any poles in public transit" approach that seems to work well enough through flu season.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I like Halifax style donair poutine because I hate cardiovascular health.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I like Halifax style donair poutine because I hate cardiovascular health.

Because OG poutine is healthy?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I just want Isreali style Schwarma where they also stuff French Fries in there.
    I couldn't find a great pic but sorta
    gallery_horizontal_2_col_thumb_Fustany-lifestyle-kitchen-unique-ways-to-eat-french-fries-14.jpg
    man that's good shit

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

lol this is so stupid:
    mc3mcbet2a1g.png
    so Moxie's in Kelowna, that's like 5 hour drive away
    Beavertails in Victoria - 1 that's on Vancouver island, 2 that's a donut chain
    so this leaves us with:
    Moxies downtown - meh, chain restaurant
    pourhouse - this looks alright!

As someone who is about 10 minutes from the Kelowna Moxies, they aren't worth a 10 minute drive let alone 5 hr

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I just want Isreali style Schwarma where they also stuff French Fries in there.
    I couldn't find a great pic but sorta
    gallery_horizontal_2_col_thumb_Fustany-lifestyle-kitchen-unique-ways-to-eat-french-fries-14.jpg
    man that's good shit

Can confirm. Shawarma over fries, topped with tahini sauce, garlic sauce and hot sauce is delicious.

Not poutine, but still delicious.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    When I suggested a few months back that the Senate should probably just start a tradition of ritually expelling Sen. Beyak at the start of each session? I didn't think things would immediately snowball to the point where that's probably going to happen:
    Ontario Sen. Lynn Beyak is again facing suspension from the Red Chamber for failing to complete her anti-racism training — a project that started off on the wrong foot when she told her instructors she was Métis because her parents had adopted an Indigenous child.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the first sentence of the article, which goes on at considerable length and just gets uglier and uglier from there.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    When I suggested a few months back that the Senate should probably just start a tradition of ritually expelling Sen. Beyak at the start of each session? I didn't think things would immediately snowball to the point where that's probably going to happen:
    Ontario Sen. Lynn Beyak is again facing suspension from the Red Chamber for failing to complete her anti-racism training — a project that started off on the wrong foot when she told her instructors she was Métis because her parents had adopted an Indigenous child.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the first sentence of the article, which goes on at considerable length and just gets uglier and uglier from there.

I don't quite get how, but reading the article, she somehow managed to fail more or less all forms of anti-discrimination training simultaneously, and they were only targeting racism.

Also, even if you use the literal french meaning of "métis", which is something I rather doubt she would normally do, it only applies if your parents are a mixed first nation/not first nation couple.
    It does not work when one of your sibling is from a first nation. Your parents are not supposed to be your siblings, if you are not a Hapsburg.

• Options
    Yeah, there's no way she didn't go in there with anything other than hostile intent.

Her entire political identity at this point is "white good, native bad" and since the initial suspension she's stopped even trying to pretend otherwise, and once you're far enough to the right the idea of examining one's worldview is merely weakness, so...

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    "Peter MacKay 'not happy' with tweet needling Trudeau over yoga expenses. Conservative leadership candidate says he wants his campaign to have a more 'civilized' tone"

Also, he got fucking ROASTED on twitter over all the stupid shit the Cons have done over the year, himself most of all in reply to that tweet. Bee-yootiful.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    "Peter MacKay 'not happy' with tweet needling Trudeau over yoga expenses. Conservative leadership candidate says he wants his campaign to have a more 'civilized' tone"

Also, he got fucking ROASTED on twitter over all the stupid shit the Cons have done over the year, himself most of all in reply to that tweet. Bee-yootiful.

Yeah, except he also says he agrees with the tweet and refuses to take it down. But he's disappointed with it and wants a more civil tone. Cake, eating it... But of course CBC won't call him on the obvious contradiction.

And I see CBC has decided that repeating whatever rando tweet critical of MacKay is not newsworthy. A fine and intelligent decision... that is the exact opposite of how they report about the Liberals, where even a single critical rando tweet is reported with a headline "Canadians furious at Trudeau".

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    *Liberals win a government without western representation*
    Conservatives and the MSM: "How can they possibly govern without representation in every region? Oh my god the country is tearing itself apart!"

*Conservative leadership race without western representation*
    Conservatives and the MSM: "Regional representation is really not an important issue, don't even think about it."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-court-appeal-trans-mountain-1.5450748

"Of the 129 Indigenous groups potentially affected by the project, 120 either support it or do not oppose it, the court found. Meanwhile, 43 Indigenous groups have signed benefit agreements with the proponent.

The four Indigenous groups that launched this legal challenge have 60 days to appeal the Federal Court of Appeal's decision to the Supreme Court."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/trans-mountain-appeal-decision-first-nations-1.5451374

Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Coldwater and UBCIC

So that is 4 groups.. who are the other 5?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

pigs backed by a settler court finally marched in

save your breath liberals we know you give more of a shit about resource extraction, and if you still think "well why not give them money??" it shows you still have absolutely zero understanding of the situation and maybe its not always about fucking money

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Here's the latest video from the camp's youtube from 2 days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4U8NCzOkdA

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Frostwood was warned for this.
    Right, I've said too much.

Frostwood on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Frostwood wrote: »
    I heard from a source in the RCMP that "the natives would be taught a lesson"-that was a two weeks ago, when I asked the person about it(as they are stationed in that area and deal with native protesters all the time).

I cannot name my source as the information would dry up.

I can confirm from the tone, that the RCMP might be out for blood.

Do not spread unverifiable rumors like this here.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Beaverton hitting hard this morning.

RCMP: Exclusion zones necessary to protect Canadian public from dangers of rampant journalism
    Following a pre-dawn raid to remove Indigenous occupants from several camps in northern B.C. today, the RCMP is defending its practice of removing journalists from exclusion zones on the grounds that their reporting on the often violent specifics of enforcement actions constitutes a real and present danger to the public.

“It was very damaging to our relationship with Indigenous communities when journalists revealed that we had snipers in place and were prepared to use deadly force against the Wet’suwet’en during a raid in 2019, so it’s clearly in the best interests of everyone to keep journalists from revealing that kind of information about us in the future,” the RCMP statement went on to say.

At press time, no one knows what’s happening because all the press have been removed.

Richy on
    sig.gif