As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Is it normal for the beard to go before the rest? Is he actually revealing that he dyes his hair? :P

In my experience this is indeed normal. Or maybe it's easier to see in the beard because the longer hair on top grew in before the grey, so it hides it better.. whereas beards are shorter and get trimmed more often, so the grey stuff is front and centre?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    My beard is very salt and pepper. My hair, what is left of it, is still brown. I guess it figures falling out AND going grey would be too much.

Trudeau has always had a fondness for facial hair and is good at it too.

Also yeah, real news sources were asking the question what does it mean. It means dude did not shave for a few days on vacay.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I eagerly await salt-and-pepper beardedness. I was curious because I do have a few early greys, but they're all around the sides.

Anyway, as great as hair is and as much as that guy can wear a bit of scruff, I'm still not particularly fond of him. Really wish he'd get around to making some kind of communications about the situation with Iran ...

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    other than length my avatar is pretty accurate in regards to my beards brown to grey ratio.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    My beard is very salt and pepper. My hair, what is left of it, is still brown. I guess it figures falling out AND going grey would be too much.

Trudeau has always had a fondness for facial hair and is good at it too.

Also yeah, real news sources were asking the question what does it mean. It means dude did not shave for a few days on vacay.

I've heard nothing but complaining about the arrogance of him taking a 2 week vacation...

The horror!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Obviously it's a sign of a new level of cooperation with the NDP, signaling that he and Singh are going to be salt and pepper beard buds.
    At press time, we have yet to hear word of whether or not Blanchet has opted for a proper salt to pepper ratio to join this coalition.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Is it normal for the beard to go before the rest? Is he actually revealing that he dyes his hair? :P

ya it can be pretty normal, every dude is different. my temples are getting pretty grey but my facial hair only has a few greys here and there

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Obviously it's a sign of a new level of cooperation with the NDP, signaling that he and Singh are going to be salt and pepper beard buds.
    At press time, we have yet to hear word of whether or not Blanchet has opted for a proper salt to pepper ratio to join this coalition.

Singh's beard put's JT to shame

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

fuck
    A Ukrainian International Airlines plane crashed shortly after takeoff from Tehran on Wednesday, bursting into flames and killing all 176 people on board, including 63 Canadians.

The passenger jet, Flight PS752, crashed on Wednesday just minutes after taking off from Tehran's main airport, turning farmland into fields of flaming debris.

Ukrainian Foreign Affairs Minister Vadym Prystaiko said 82 Iranians, 63 Canadians and 11 Ukrainians were on board — the Ukrainian nationals included two passengers and the nine crew. There were also 10 Swedish, four Afghan, three German and three British nationals, he said.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Canada was offering technical assistance to the impending investigation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-ukraine-air-crash-canadians-tehran-1.5418610

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I eagerly await salt-and-pepper beardedness. I was curious because I do have a few early greys, but they're all around the sides.

Anyway, as great as hair is and as much as that guy can wear a bit of scruff, I'm still not particularly fond of him. Really wish he'd get around to making some kind of communications about the situation with Iran ...

What? Oh hell no he should be doing nothing of the sort. This is not our fucking problem and we should be staying as far the fuck away from it as possible. And certainly not jumping first on making a statement before the americans do.

Quietly pulling our troops out of harm's way and making zero noise till we know wtf is going on is 100% the right play.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

I don't know if it's normal, but its whats happened to me. I have brown hair, but my beard had a bunch of reddish hairs in it, which have all gone grey. They're also somehow stiffer and more itchy since losing their colour. Aging is great! :rotate:

:so_raven:
  • Options
    All you folks with hair....

My beard has grey hairs but my head does not... because when my hair reaches that stage they commit suicide.

Going bald is a joy I tell you.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    A beard for me apparently isn't an option for at least another few years; instead of doing the salt-and-pepper thing the salt portion is wildly asymmetrical. Looking like I was hit on one side of my chin by a piece of precisely-thrown chalk probably isn't ideal.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm in my 30's and my chin area already have many prominent flecks of white and light. Not enough to say it's salt and pepper, but enough to notice it's a thing that's happening.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Yes but also possibly yes, in the sense that facial hair is often not as consistently colored as scalp hair. I grew up kinda ashy blonde and now I'm kinda light brown, but my beard has always been mostly dark brown, with some black and even red, and also I've got a white-blonde patch on my chin since I was like fifteen (so if it's turning gray or white prematurely I can't tell).

But he could also just be dying it.

• Options
    My god we are all old...

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    I'm only 36, I feel way too young for grey hairs! Maybe I'll start getting grey hairs when my son reaches teenagehood.

My facial hair is reddish while my hair is dark blonde (used to be very light blonde when I was a kid). Blame my 1/16th irish genes :D

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    My god we are all old...

Speak for yourself
    *dyes grey hair*

Forever young, I want to be, forever young

sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Yes but also possibly yes, in the sense that facial hair is often not as consistently colored as scalp hair. I grew up kinda ashy blonde and now I'm kinda light brown, but my beard has always been mostly dark brown, with some black and even red, and also I've got a white-blonde patch on my chin since I was like fifteen (so if it's turning gray or white prematurely I can't tell).

But he could also just be dying it.

My hair is dark brown, but my facial hair used to be this weird frankenstein of red, light brown, and even darkish blond. Despite the fact that the overall hair coverage was there, anytime I tried to grow a beard it just looked patchy as hell from a distance because you could only see the dark hairs and they only comprised like 30% of the total. It's only in the last decade that that ratio finally shifted into something that at least looks presentable.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Fun memory I want to share:

I wish my mom was still around. She started going grey around her mid 30s, and being a 12 year old smart ass I used to bug her about it. Now at the same age, I have a nice collection of greys. Being a male, I also have silver whiskers and just the other day found gd grey chest hair. It would be a nice little piece of revenge my mom would have enjoyed.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I'm 42. My hair is red-brown with a little graying on the sides, whereas if I let my beard grown in it's red on the cheeks and mustache and almost all gray around the chin.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Global News is Global News

What terrible news. I know a lot of the victims were professors/academics/students coming back from visiting family between semesters

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    They were on that ukrainian flight because there are no direct flights between Iran and Canada. These flights stopped in 2012 when the Harper gov't cut diplomatic ties with Iran. Which means the blood of 63 canadians is on the hands of Harper for this, and of Trudeau for not reversing this policy and resuming diplomatic relations with Iran over the past four years.

This makes me furious at the Trudeau Liberals. They've been acting like caretakers for the CPC for their entire first mandate, keeping the alt-right status quo instead of restauring our country and repairing the harm Harper did.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    They were on that ukrainian flight because there are no direct flights between Iran and Canada. These flights stopped in 2012 when the Harper gov't cut diplomatic ties with Iran. Which means the blood of 63 canadians is on the hands of Harper for this, and of Trudeau for not reversing this policy and resuming diplomatic relations with Iran over the past four years.

This makes me furious at the Trudeau Liberals. They've been acting like caretakers for the CPC for their entire first mandate, keeping the alt-right status quo instead of restauring our country and repairing the harm Harper did.

What? LOL. This is a ridiculous take.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I don't know about "ridiculous".... but that is quite the leap to blame our past and present Prime Ministers for the fact that a plane crashed.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I get where you're coming from and agree that the Trudeau government should have been working with Iran to repair the relationship from where Harper left it but it's beyond illogical to try to tie this tragedy directly to either of them. The plane wasn't even heading to Canada yet.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I don't blame the plane crash on Harper and Trudeau. From initial reports it seems to be a mechanical/maintenance issue, and it would have happened regardless of Canada's foreign policy.

I blame the fact there were 63 Canadians and an additional 75 travelers bound for Canada on that plane on Harper and Trudeau. Harper made a mess of our foreign policy and Trudeau has maintained that mess instead of cleaning it up, leading to there being no direct Iran-Canada flights and travelers being forced to take this runabout trip.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don't see how you can land that blame at anybody's feet. There are myriad ways to get from Iran to Canada through all sorts of connecting flights. This particular airline just happens to be one of the cheapest ways for travelers to get from Iran to Kiev to Toronto. The flight would likely still exist and be as appealing regardless of foreign policy simply due to its cost efficiency.

I get being frustrated with the lack of answers due to our complete lack of any sort of relationship with Iran but it makes absolutely no sense to blame the crash itself or the death of the occupants on any political leader.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don't blame the plane crash on Harper and Trudeau. From initial reports it seems to be a mechanical/maintenance issue, and it would have happened regardless of Canada's foreign policy.

I blame the fact there were 63 Canadians and an additional 75 travelers bound for Canada on that plane on Harper and Trudeau. Harper made a mess of our foreign policy and Trudeau has maintained that mess instead of cleaning it up, leading to there being no direct Iran-Canada flights and travelers being forced to take this runabout trip.

This is still ridiculous. If it was a Tehran-Toronto flight, the plane still might have gone down.

e: I must be missing something. I can't get my head around how this could be pinned on Canada at all.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I wanted to reply to this last night and talk about how ridiculous of a post it was but couldn't find the words, I'm glad others have picked up the ball.

If you want to be mad at Trudeau for not doing "more" to combat the shit Harper passed, that's one thing, but pick your battles dude.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I wanted to reply to this last night and talk about how ridiculous of a post it was but couldn't find the words, I'm glad others have picked up the ball.

If you want to be mad at Trudeau for not doing "more" to combat the shit Harper passed, that's one thing, but pick your battles dude.

This is 100% percent as silly as what the crazy far right comes out with every day.

Listen, I hated Harper as much as the rest of us but you can't come up with any reasonable way to put this at his feet.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    Well, now the US is saying the Iranians shot the plane down.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It is, as people have said, absurd to blame them for that, but even then there are a lot of airlines that effectively make a canada-iran connection, not just ukranian air (it may have been the cheapest though). They could have just as easily been on lufthansa, turkish air which do a one-stop one-airline flight or air canada + nearly any other european airline

We don't need to offer direct flights to every country in the world - nor do we! There are no flights to - from a quick 5 min search - bulgaria, sweden, norway, finland, large chunks of africa, and many countries only have service to the capital and from toronto only, or only have direct flights by non-canadian carriers

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Corvus wrote: »

I'll need to see some concrete evidence before I believe the Americans about anything to do with Iran

Basically I'll need to hear it from our own government. If it comes from us, then I'll believe it.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

I'll need to see some concrete evidence before I believe the Americans about anything to do with Iran

Basically I'll need to hear it from our own government. If it comes from us, then I'll believe it.

• Options
    Yeah, our government is the main one involved here that has zero reason to lie about this either way, so I'm going with whatever they say happened after looking through the evidence.

• Options

If it was Iran.... did anyone think they would have done this intentionally?

That does not track at all.

• Options

As a few people have said in the US foreign policy thread, most likely someone at an AA defence system making a mistake because they were on alert for US planes attacking them.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

As a few people have said in the US foreign policy thread, most likely someone at an AA defence system making a mistake because they were on alert for US planes attacking them.

That's been my assumption all along.... At no point do I believe that anyone made the conscious decision to bomb a commercial plane though.