As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Blarghy wrote: »
    The pipeline company did meet with and negotiated agreements with every single band council along the route. That's the legal basis for the court rulings saying the work can proceed. However, when the tribal chiefs popped up, the company offered to negotiate with them too. But the chiefs refuse to meet with anyone except the government.

I mean, their issue is with the government here. A ruling that ignores tribal sovereignty isnt a matter to negotiate with the oil company.

Well actually, an oil company that wants to negotiate with them, thus implicitly recognizing their claim on the territory and the hereditary chiefs' legitimacy as a ruling body, would be a huge boon for them and make it harder for the government to ignore them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    Do you really see those chiefs as power-hungry antidemocratic authoritarians? That seems like a big leap. Their motivation is largely environmental.

IIRC, their explicit argument is based in Canadian law, the Delgamuukw decision, which found that where treaties have not been signed (as is the case here), land title remains with the Indigenous nation — and crucially, the title is held by the authorities internally selected by that nation, not by the authorities imposed by the Indian Act. The case specifically mentions that the colonial organization of the people into bands does not affect the identity of the nation that holds title.

This is not a trivial matter of rogue factions rejecting democracy. It's a complex legal dispute. I don't think the question of how Canada identifies which internal claim of authority to recognize is trivial, either — that's a huge part of the reason for (imperfect) instruments like the Indian Act.

It does seem trivially obvious that a tiny indigenous nation has a poor chance of being treated equitably by the courts when opposed to powerful, wealthy corporate interests, though.

Then they can pick a hereditary chief and slap the "Also holds elected position for negotiations with outsiders" sticker on them. Unless they don't actually have that much support, or maybe they're just willing to burn it all down on principle.

I know this is an extremely complex issue that I can't really comment on, but I do have issue with just your statement here.

If you (as a populace or individual) don't agree or want a system that is forced upon you, just slapping on over your actual system is still conceding and having it forced upon you. This is a "compromise" where only side actually gets what it wants.

Why would they have to even take that step and acknowledge it?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Charest is out. On his way out he did say that he doesn't like the turn the CPC has taken since 1998 and that the rules are stacked to give the edge to someone already in the party rather than an outsider.

With Ambrose and Deltel also out, that pretty much leaves former Harper minister Peter McKay with no strong opponents, and guarantees the CPC will continue its steadfast march into alt-right territory.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Charest is out. On his way out he did say that he doesn't like the turn the CPC has taken since 1998 and that the rules are stacked to give the edge to someone already in the party rather than an outsider.

With Ambrose and Deltel also out, that pretty much leaves former Harper minister Peter McKay with no strong opponents, and guarantees the CPC will continue its steadfast march into alt-right territory.

Have not really followed Mckay much since the Harper days.

Is he part of the loony take over?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Calling McKay alt-right is a bit of an overstatement.

I think he'd be a terrible Prime Minister but I don't recall him being a part of the particularly crazy branch of the Conservatives

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I don't recall a lot of moderates in Harper's inner circle. And McKay was definitely an inner-circle Harperite.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Would you characterize Harper as alt-right? Because I would characterize him as an old-school conservative asshole with authoritarian tendencies and terrible foreign policy positions, not as alt-right.

McKay would be a better looking version of Scheer. Which is to say probably a failure, the Liberal Party's own idiocy notwithstanding.

If by alt-right you mean asshole who is conservative, then sure, whatever.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, this stuff about the doughnuts in Winnipeg is fairly emblematic about how stupid the national political conversation is. Also, how powerful Tim Hortons' marketing is

https://globalnews.ca/news/6440682/canadians-criticize-trudeau-after-visit-to-oh-doughnuts-bakery-in-winnipeg/?fbclid=IwAR1jsfxIkDs37HmAMhOJYFKhjSAELz9mTwmGseJzGnSLYfmrxa7CcYf5ItU

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I guess it comes down to our definition of alt-right, and whether we place that line to the left or right of Harper and WBush.

EDIT:
    To get back to my initial post in this topic, I was rather lamenting that with Charest out, I don't believe there are any candidates that will try to move the CPC back to the political centre and to sanity, and I definitely don't think McKay (the most likely next CPC leader at this point) will do that. McKay, after all, is the one who engineered and sold the merger with the Alliance to the old PC, and who laid the groundwork for right-wing extremism to enter the mainstream and become the new "conservative" norm in Canada. I don't believe he had a change of heart and wants to bring back the old PC from the ashes of the fire he himself lit.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Good for Trudeau going to a local donut shop.
    Tim Horton's can get fucked.
    They treat their employee's like shit and have steadily driven food and drink quality down.
    It's embarrassing to have this brand still associated with Canada.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Also wouldn't most people be far happier that he's supporting local business?!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

According to the article it seems to be because they are "expensive" donuts and he should have just gone to get some fucking slop at a fast food joint owned by another country.

fuuuuuck these people.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Good for Trudeau going to a local donut shop.
    Tim Horton's can get fucked.
    They treat their employee's like shit and have steadily driven food and drink quality down.
    It's embarrassing to have this brand still associated with Canada.

Ya about the only thing you can praise Tim Horton's for nowadays is that it's gotta be record breaking how fast they killed so much goodwill in Canada. They are Burger King Donuts now.

edit: Also I still laugh when I remember that Tim's literally gave away their coffee to McDonald's.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I guess it comes down to our definition of alt-right, and whether we place that line to the left or right of Harper and WBush.

EDIT:
    To get back to my initial post in this topic, I was rather lamenting that with Charest out, I don't believe there are any candidates that will try to move the CPC back to the political centre and to sanity, and I definitely don't think McKay (the most likely next CPC leader at this point) will do that. McKay, after all, is the one who engineered and sold the merger with the Alliance to the old PC, and who laid the groundwork for right-wing extremism to enter the mainstream and become the new "conservative" norm in Canada. I don't believe he had a change of heart and wants to bring back the old PC from the ashes of the fire he himself lit.

I thought white supremacy/ ethno-nationalism was an inherent part of alt-right, not just being extreme right.

As an example: Pinochet was an extreme right-wing authoritarian despot, but he wasn't "Alt-Right" since he didn't bring race into it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Conservatives are never happy about anything Trudeau does.

EDIT: Also, great to see the headlines saying "Canadians criticize Trudeau" for the donut thing. Not a bunch of permanently-enraged righties on Twitter. We as a nation are apparently united in our disapproval of Trudeau's donut choices, if the news media are to be believed. They go on to pick a few hateful tweets to display, and carefully avoid showing any pro-Trudeau tweets, save for the donut shop owner who needs to defend herself and her business.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020

According to the article it seems to be because they are "expensive" donuts and he should have just gone to get some fucking slop at a fast food joint owned by another country.

fuuuuuck these people.

won't somebody think of the tax monies!

edit -
    wait
    Also I still laugh when I remember that Tim's literally gave away their coffee to McDonald's.
    what? I genuinely like McDs coffee but Tim's coffee is so fucking awful

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Yeah Timmies dumped their old supplier for their current crappier and I assume cheaper one.

McDonalds was all over that and it shows for the most part.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

fuuuuuck these people.

edit -
    wait
    Also I still laugh when I remember that Tim's literally gave away their coffee to McDonald's.

When Restaurant Brands International bought Tim Hortons, they changed the coffee supplier to a cheaper one, and McDonald's changed to the one Tim Hortons used to use. It was part of McDonald's sort of rehabilitating their brand with the McCafe thing. McDonald's coffee used to be god awful. Now Tim Hortons is god awful and McDonald's is just unremarkable. :P

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

fuuuuuck these people.

edit -
    wait

When Restaurant Brands International bought Tim Hortons, they changed the coffee supplier to a cheaper one, and McDonald's changed to the one Tim Hortons used to use. It was part of McDonald's sort of rehabilitating their brand with the McCafe thing. McDonald's coffee used to be god awful. Now Tim Hortons is god awful and McDonald's is just unremarkable. :P

some quick googling leads me to believe this isn't actually true but who knows

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I know

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I know

Spill it.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The Trudeau doughnut story is the perfect story for us, the Canadian food and occasionally politics thread.

It is also the most absurd story you can possibly think of.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I remember in America when Obama was a traitor for his choice of mustard. Better times...

• Options
    I never got the condiment hate.

I put whatever on whatever.

Hotdog? Mustard, onions, ketchup sometimes, maybe some can cheese, chili? Sure. Mayo (miracle whip) , hot sauce.

Just put whatever you like in your face I say.

#allcondimentsmatter

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

Hotdog? Mustard, onions, ketchup sometimes, maybe some can cheese, chili? Sure. Mayo (miracle whip) , hot sauce.

#allcondimentsmatter

You monster.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2020

#allcondimentsmatter

It was absurder than that - at least part of it was that Obama's choice of dijon mustard displayed an astonishing liberal eliteness and lack of connection with the common man.

(we are much better now with our president who owns multinational hotel corporations, as the common man does...)

Shivahn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Put whatever you want on whatever you want.

Unless it's pineapple on pizza. You disgusting monster.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

#allcondimentsmatter

Why put ketchup on a hot dog when you could have sliced tomatoes?

ctjkfh5ehxgv.jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    Miracle whip is Tangier and has a better zing to it.

Also, Hawaiian pizza is the best.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Pizza is a leftovers dish. You have a crust, a sauce, things that need to be consumed, and maybe some cheese or something. It gets baked and you now have used up some leftover. The use of sweet or acidic "stuff" just needs to be balanced by the other "stuff". I have had Turkey Dinner Pizza with cranberry sauce and gravy. It can be made to work. I've had pizza with sliced canned pears and brie cheese. It tastes good. Rejection of pineapple on pizza just comes across as a food conservatism and a fear of things that are different.

Meanwhile, paid protestors hired as though they are movie extras in a recent ongoing court case.

Classy, and transparently manipulative. Then again, it's probably intended for internal audiences and not us here in Canada.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Would you characterize Harper as alt-right? Because I would characterize him as an old-school conservative asshole with authoritarian tendencies and terrible foreign policy positions, not as alt-right.

McKay would be a better looking version of Scheer. Which is to say probably a failure, the Liberal Party's own idiocy notwithstanding.

Authoritarian tendencies are alt-right aka fascist.

So yes, I would characterize our time with Harper in charge as alt-right.

Some people are going to be opposed to conservatives regardless, but there used to be a few times when enough of them had democratic tendencies that we should know the difference in character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Miracle whip is Tangier and has a better zing to it.

Also, Hawaiian pizza is the best.

The tangy zip of miracle whip is it letting you know that you're just eating Mayo that's gone off. :)

And pineapple on pizza is good, If you pair it with an equally strong flavour to balance it out. I prefer hot peppers. Just the sweetness of the pineapple? Blech.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

Some people are going to be opposed to conservatives regardless, but there used to be a few times when enough of them had democratic tendencies that we should know the difference in character.

I think classifying Harper as "alt-right" makes "alt-right" as a term utterly meaningless.

• Options
    Blarghy wrote: »

I think classifying Harper as "alt-right" makes "alt-right" as a term utterly meaningless.

There is no "official" definition of what the alt-right is, but most definitions floating around center around racism, white supremacism, neo-nazism, etc.

Harper was well-known during his first two campaigns for making promises to minority groups and then abandoning them after getting their votes, and in his third campaign he promised a national hotline to report "suspicious" non-white activities. He championed laws that would have created a two-tier citizenship to make immigrants less canadians and routinely abandoned non-white Canadians abroad to their fates (Omar Khadr's case springs to mind here). Relations with First Nations hit rock bottom during his administration because he refused to meet with them and instead propagated racist lies in the media about them ("most first nations people are killed by other first nations people", or responding to their financial hardships by sending auditors). He appointed a senator who openly praises the Residential School genocide as a good and positive thing.

I mean, just look at the state he left the CPC in! Those yellow vests and neo-nazis dominating the party didn't just appear out of thin air the day Harper resigned. He built his Alliance Party from them, used them to take over the PC, and made them into the backbone of the CPC.

Add to this his other policies - massive and irresponsible deficit spending, using government funds for partisan advertising, questionable electoral practices and attempted voter suppression by forbidding Elections Canada from engaging in any bring-out-the-vote activities, neutering government watchdogs, disdain for the poor and gutting of social programs, climate-change-denying environmental policies, idolation of the US right, publicly fighting "activist judges" to force through illegal and unconstitutional laws, turning Canada into a petro-state, rejecting fact-based policies to the extent of abolishing the census to prevent facts from even being collected - all of these are behaviours found in the alt-right.

So no, I for one don't think it's a stretch to label Harper an alt-right politician. It certainly quacks like a duck from what I'm hearing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tim's does their own coffee last I read, they opened a big plant in Ancaster to roast their own. That's going back 10 years or so; it was a 30m investment. McDonald's uses Mother Parker's in Canada. I haven't had a Tims coffee in some 15+ years, going back to when they adopted mass manufacturing food in a central location(s) and then freezing it and shipping it to stores to re-heat. Around the same time they did that I just bought a coffee maker and started buying / making my own coffee in the morning. I think I was doing 2 coffees a day as a road tech and realized it was a waste of money. Part of the problem with Tims is you don't know how well they clean the coffee maker, how long do they really keep each pot for, do they have a sure shot machine so a double double or whatever isn't what another location would consider a triple triple.

McDonald's coffee is just mediocre. It's not offensive, but it's not great either. I used to enjoy a sasuage mcmuffin w/ no egg and a hasbrown but the price on those seems to have gone up a fair bit recently. They're also clearly not good for me which made it pretty easy to just stop buying them. Maybe once a year I buy some sausage patties, english muffins and such and make them at home for a few weeks until they run out. I know people will mention the ease of going to McDonald's but seriously, making these things isn't rocket science and you can tap a little hot sauce on them too.

Maybe I'm just older and crankier (I am for sure) but I don't find the convenience of fast food to be all that convenient nor does it out weigh the cost of making something myself....that's really not great for me in the first place anymore.

What really works against Tim's is this: when I go to Sarnia once or twice a summer for a little day trip, we hit a few spots like getting fresh cut fries under the bridge and a little ice cream place by the bridge for a shake and a cone. On the way out of town, I stop into a small donut shop that only has a couple locations left. Global Donuts has been around since I was a kid, and they make it all onsite. A couple years back we went to visit my grandmother and my mom insisted we stop for donuts. I hadn't had a donut in some 10, 15 years that was any good. She got 12 to go and I tried a double chocolate donut. It was amazingly delicious. I'm not one for sweets, but it was so good and it came back to me how good these things are...when you make them fresh and they're still warm from the oven. Any time I drop by, the place is busy. I've never seen it quiet, unlike the Tims up the road from them which never has more than a couple cars in the parking lot. They make regular apple fritters with lots of apple and cinnamon...and then larger ones, fritters the size of a small child's head. Thing is, they are constantly making fresh donuts...because they seem to fly off the shelves. I'm glad they're an hour away otherwise I'd probably buy a dozen of the damn things every month and take them into work.

One of my co-workers, his father lives out of town and he'll come visit Matt now and then and he brings him a few boxes of donuts from a little bakery in their town. Typically two boxes of fritters and then a mixed box of crullers, glazed, double chocolate. Again, they are delicious but not warm by the time they get to us, but it's always puzzling to taste the fresh made ones which are amazing compared to the bland ones offered at Tims.

Personally, of all the chains the best coffee was Country Style who went out of business years ago, until I just googled them and uh, apparently they still exist! Granted, haven't had a coffee there in more than a decade, so who knows now?

Nosf on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

#allcondimentsmatter

My recent hotdog go to: cream cheese, sweet relish, sriracha sauce.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

#allcondimentsmatter

French's makes a spicy mustard now, it's pretty good. It's not super hot or sharp, but it's more than I expected in a store bought standard mustard that comes in a squeezy plastic bottle for a couple bucks. Have not had miracle whip since I moved out of my parent's house ages ago, it's all Hellman's now.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Find my old post listing all the shit Harper did, I wouldn't call him a modern alt right but all the policies he implented are either what they want or shades lighter really he'd be a rallying point without doing anything and appeal to white working class people who don't care or pay attention to his actual legislation (aka Boris taking a public flight unlike our pm on a private flight what a hypocrypt they scream) so yeah

Also top tier hotdog is mustard and sauerkraut or make it sausage I guess sauerkraut rules tho

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The media is mostly owned by billionaires with a agenda of increasing their wealth to so that complicates matters as well

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Conservatives are never happy about anything Trudeau does.

*pictures emerge of Trudeau walking on water*

Conservatives: So he is too good to swim like the rest of us? Swimming was good enough for my dad and my grandpa, but liberal elites are afraid of getting wet.