Options

Outer Worlds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Does putting points into weapons skills do anything other than unlock the various bonuses?

Because while those bonuses are nice and all, so far they don't really seem necessary. I'm pretty much mowing everything down.

And it feels like my shotgun would probably be doing just as much damage with 20 in Long Guns as it would with 60 in Long Guns. I don't really feel like I'm getting much for my investment.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsNOdvO0CA

Yatzhee seems to like it

(spoilers)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Does putting points into weapons skills do anything other than unlock the various bonuses?

Because while those bonuses are nice and all, so far they don't really seem necessary. I'm pretty much mowing everything down.

And it feels like my shotgun would probably be doing just as much damage with 20 in Long Guns as it would with 60 in Long Guns. I don't really feel like I'm getting much for my investment.

It'll show you right above the bonuses list
    You get crit damage boosts and sway reduction? Maybe also flat damage? I don't recall offhand

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So, I just picked this up. Haven't started it yet, but I have thoughts about how I would like to play. To which I wish to ask a question:

For anyone familiar with the TV show Justified, on a scale of 1-10, would I be able to essentially play as Space Raylan Givens? 1 being "not at all", and 10 being "Timothy Olyphant might as well be doing the voice acting for your character".

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, you have no official authority and romances to screw up, but otherwise...7'ish?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, you have no official authority and romances to screw up, but otherwise...7'ish?

So long as I can approach every situation with maximum incredulity, I'm happy.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jesus, Yahtzee is still going with the same gimmick?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am given to understand Yahtzee has some sort of indentured servitude situation with The Escapist

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Jesus, Yahtzee is still going with the same gimmick?

What's he gonna do? Something insightful and original? :smug:

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am given to understand Yahtzee has some sort of indentured servitude situation with The Escapist

Yeah its this. He signed a contract that gives them complete and total 100% control until they let him out of it from what I understand. So either hes trying to get people to hate it so they release him, or this is what they keep telling him to do.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I heard he tried to get away one time and US marshals chased him down a big pipe and brought him back in fetters

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i was tired last night so i started pushing through content and now i'm worried the game's about to end

i will be so sad

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/11/07/the-outer-worlds-sales-have-outperformed-expectations/
    The Outer Worlds is “outperforming our expectations handily,” and they are “very happy” with its sales.

While The Outer Worlds’ specific sales figures are unknown, it’s clear it has done well, even considering its release on the same day as the massive Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, no less. In fact, it was the third most downloaded PS4 game, trailing only Modern Warfare and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, both of which are a part of long-running franchises.

Fuck yes

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Good to see after hearing how poorly Pillars 2 did.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    i finished this last night!
    while i think it had a lot of potential that it didn't capitalise on, it was a great game

was it the chairman or sonjia i killed in the final moment before rescuing phineas? i didn't kill him in the studio room, just told him he was wrong and strolled by. since i had the hologram ID the whole labyrinth was a breeze. glad i played on hard in the end: RAM was tricky enough to have to strategize a bit but not enough to beat my head against the wall. any easier and it probably wouldn't have felt like a boss

the final exposition was a little weak. i liked the whole aspect of it being a lot of gruelling work to salvage the colony from that point on, but the crew and protagonist were all valorised a but too much and it felt pretty humourless. maybe i'll have to try for the ice-cream ending

p.s. RIP if you didn't get the hero shot of sanjar in the ending sequence. definitely my proudest decision. though is there a way to oust graham and leave zara in charge? in retrospect i'd also like to try giving the targeting computer to nobody... when i had to kill zara as well as graham i wondered if the only way to win was not to play

anyone got an idea of our chances for DLC?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i finished this last night!
    while i think it had a lot of potential that it didn't capitalise on, it was a great game

was it the chairman or sonjia i killed in the final moment before rescuing phineas? i didn't kill him in the studio room, just told him he was wrong and strolled by. since i had the hologram ID the whole labyrinth was a breeze. glad i played on hard in the end: RAM was tricky enough to have to strategize a bit but not enough to beat my head against the wall. any easier and it probably wouldn't have felt like a boss

the final exposition was a little weak. i liked the whole aspect of it being a lot of gruelling work to salvage the colony from that point on, but the crew and protagonist were all valorised a but too much and it felt pretty humourless. maybe i'll have to try for the ice-cream ending

p.s. RIP if you didn't get the hero shot of sanjar in the ending sequence. definitely my proudest decision. though is there a way to oust graham and leave zara in charge? in retrospect i'd also like to try giving the targeting computer to nobody... when i had to kill zara as well as graham i wondered if the only way to win was not to play

anyone got an idea of our chances for DLC?

re: The Iconoclasts' ending
    If you find the evidence against Graham Zora will confront him at which point he goes hostile and you have to kill him. Then you can get Zora to work together with Sanjar.

Aistan on
  • Options
    oh shit.
    i did find evidence that he'd organised the raid on the town and i thought i talked to her about it, but it didn't trigger a fight. probably could have digged deeper though

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    oh shit.
    i did find evidence that he'd organised the raid on the town and i thought i talked to her about it, but it didn't trigger a fight. probably could have digged deeper though

What might have happened:
    When you find the evidence and tell her about it she says come back later after she's thought things over. The next step doesn't happen until after the ship crashes and you need to pick a side to go with. Going to the Iconoclasts' base Zora intercepts you before you get to Graham and says she needs your help with the coup. That's when she replaces him and the option for her and Sanjar to work together comes up.

So I think if you just went straight to Sanjar you might not have seen it.

• Options
    yeah, that's what happened. oh well, her loss

(of life)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Monarch dragged a lot but mostly because of the endless bug and dinosaur encounters. Story and characters-wise I think I liked it the most.

• Options
    i'm currently fantasizing about obsidian getting the star trek license and using this engine for a season of episodic narratives

tonally it's quite close to discovery. i was thinking of how similar parvati and tilly are. i think these guys can write good, ethically minded humanist sci-fi with or without the cynicism. i mean, the comedy makes it and i think the quality of the satire is underrated. but they could do star trek.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Doing quests around Monarch right now, and I run into this surprisingly friendly family.
    Huh, this feels familiar, kinda like that couple in Book of Eli...ohhhh they're cannibals

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I unintentionally made my character look exactly like parvati so I am roleplaying as her tyler durden

I accidentally did that too, except with Nyoka.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Every non-companion NPC in this game is the same

mkc.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Doing quests around Monarch right now, and I run into this surprisingly friendly family.
    Huh, this feels familiar, kinda like that couple in Book of Eli...ohhhh they're cannibals
    well you know that they say

when in doubt

...cannibalism doubt

wait can i try again

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    well you know that they say

when in doubt

...cannibalism doubt

wait can i try again

Are you a CANnibal or a CANTibal?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    So uh apparently this game is very easy to speedrun, the newest any% (just get to the ending as fast as possible in any way) world record is 11 minutes, 10 seconds:

(full game spoilers, I guess? This does technically beat the game)

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I'm glad that being [Dumb] is a speed running technique.

• Options
    Any% can be stupidly low. I wonder what the any% is for Gone Home, probably like 5 seconds.

I suspect my kill everyone on sight playthrough will be relatively short.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I beat this yesterday, then watched some ending compilations on Youtube. Vicar Max ending spoilers
    So in mine, he left and became a wandering Samaritan but in the ones I've seen online, his "good" ending is he renounces he faith and sticks around. I did his companion quests, so I'm wondering what I did differently here?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    It depends on what you do during his quest, not just that you do it.

• Options
    ...and doubly telling considering the inverse discussion around death stranding

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hmm. Hit a bug where Parvati's companion quest fails on me (and the quest log says she was killed when she's like ... right there). Didn't notice until much later of course so now I gotta decide if I continue the rest of the game while waiting for a patch, or re-do about three hours of stuff.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Hmm. Hit a bug where Parvati's companion quest fails on me (and the quest log says she was killed when she's like ... right there). Didn't notice until much later of course so now I gotta decide if I continue the rest of the game while waiting for a patch, or re-do about three hours of stuff.

Yeah, I had this happen to to Ellie when I got to Byzantium and there's no way to know how far back it happened. I was reading last weekend that the fix was supposed to drop this week but I haven't seen anything yet.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I had to rewind 2 hours to get around the bug where you can’t recruit the purple hair lady and the main quest is blocked
    So that sucked

mkc.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’ve been loving Monarch ever since I found a named weapon that shreds most everything biological

It’s a plasma heavy machine gun called the Rapti-don’t and can be found
    Roughly halfway between Stellar Bay and Cascadia, on the north route, at a place called Hero’s Last Stand. Or possibly just west of the Sulfur Pits, I found a lot of stuff on that route and may have mixed up what went where.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh hey looks like the patch for that just dropped, I popped in the save where I noticed it was botched and it was back available in my log.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Oh hey looks like the patch for that just dropped, I popped in the save where I noticed it was botched and it was back available in my log.

Good to hear, guess I can go finish now.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Interaction with Iconoclasts on Monarch

An Iconoclast is tinkering with some sort of cube shaped object at a workbench

Two others are sitting nearby

Icon1: Trash cubes. He just keeps making them. (Raises voice so tinkerer can hear) Fuckin WEIRD, Carl.
    Icon2: at least they stack up real nice

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades