Options

Outer Worlds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

15678911»

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Byzantium story stuff (and sidequest stuff in general)
    I really like how a lot of things that have been hinted at thematically early on are coming to a head.

Stuff like the “Early Retirement” being heavily promoted (which was clear from the moment it came up exactly what it was going to be, imho), so you’re asking yourself “ok but why are they doing this? Clearly something is very wrong with the colony if the higher-ups are resorting to straight up genocide as population control.

Or how Byzantium is described as this really nice city everyone wants to live in but once you get there it’s just as much of a shithole as the rest of the colony only it’s slightly cleaner. And there’s a ton of closed-up shops. And things are breaking down.

And if you've been doing sidequests alongside the main story you understand some of the issues with the food supply already, so it’s not so much of a shock to find out that everyone is gonna starve to death in the near future.

Which does raise the question, at least for me, of what Phineas Welles’ true goal is. Because I’m thinking he already is aware of the colony-wide food problem. And thawing out a bunch of scientists, no matter how smart they are, isn’t going to fix that overnight.

Plus I’m wondering how much Earth knows or cares. Are the people in charge of the colony hiding the truth because they’re afraid of being replaced for their failure? Or have they told Earth and Earth is just like “LOL sucks to be you, you’re on your own.”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The Earth question is answered eventually.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Yeah I figured it would be, those are just my thoughts at this point in the game.

• Options
    I finished this run last night
    I had finished most of the quest lines, so I got good endings for all my companions. The paranoid Salvage lady “Had an accident” after I refused to kill the scientist she suspected of being an alien collaborator. Roseway did pretty well for itself as far as I could tell.

Things I’d try to do better on a new game:

-try to get a better outcome at Emerald Vale. I sided with the deserters but the lady subsequently refused to help most of the town people and the game refused to explain why.
    -make a decision regarding Monarch. I didn’t give the edge to either faction and they ended up destroying each other
    -take ALL the chemicals. Tried to be a nice guy and leave some for the people in the lab, which ended up hamstringing Welles later on.
    -actually use the holographic projector more, since I only understood how it worked after I left Monarch. I thought once you burned down the purple that was it, didn’t realize you get 3 chances as long as your speech skills are good enough.
    This actually caused me to miss out on a whole lot of the cystypig factory, because I snuck in the back way, snuck around and found a terminal with an easy quest win button almost by accident before I’d explored 1/3 of the factory.

As for the ending, the revelation that Earth had “gone dark” was a slight surprise but also kind of a letdown because it didn’t bring anything new to the table. I already knew that the one ship had disappeared from something I’d read 10-15 hours prior to the endgame. So the only real news I had was, that was apparently the ONLY way to contact Earth at all.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Companion death bug should finally be fixed, and the cause is funny as hell, your companions were climbing ghost ladders out of bounds and then falling to their death

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Companion death bug should finally be fixed, and the cause is funny as hell, your companions were climbing ghost ladders out of bounds and then falling to their death

this is the most beautifully obsidian thing

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Cautiously optimistic. When it happened in my game, Parvati died while I was having a conversation with her in the ship. She didn't go anywhere, she was right in front of me.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My brother got me this game for my birthday. I'm enjoying it!

I'm glad others mentioned the small text size. I thought I was needing to go get a stronger glasses prescription.

Also this game is so gay and I love it.

• Options
    I never got this bug but I knew there was a reason I hated how ladders worked in this game

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Since when is this available on PS4? Hell, I missed out on all of this

• Options
    Since launch I think. I heard about it by word of mouth and then after I’d finished it I finally saw it being marketed.

• Options
    This game is on sale now!

I bought it, it seems pretty neat. It has that Fallout feeling, but of the New Vegas flavor.

The lighting for the character creator is really dim, which is odd.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    My brother got me this game for my birthday. I'm enjoying it!

I'm glad others mentioned the small text size. I thought I was needing to go get a stronger glasses prescription.

Also this game is so gay and I love it.

They added in an option in the settings to increase some text size, but it's underwhelming and not comprehensive. The biggest change I noticed was to dialogue subtitles, which are at least legible to me now.

• Options
    I updated my game on PS4 and I still cannot read the damn text

It's extremely frustrating

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I updated my game on PS4 and I still cannot read the damn text

It's extremely frustrating

As someone who spent the better part of a few years gaming on PS4 with deteriorating vision, the Zoom accessibility feature is an incomplete solution but helped a lot before I got my special contacts

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/accessibility.html

• Options
    I will have to try that, thank you!

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Obscenely late to the party, but I just finished the game tonight. Hey, at least being this late means I get to avoid any pre-patch bugs. As a general rule, I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it like New Vegas. For some reason, I couldn't get into role-playing my character as thoroughly as I did in Vegas. I wonder if the lack of factions was a part of it, or if it was just a shorter game? Not sure.

One random question I had, re: Monarch.
    So I got the ending where I was able to get an alliance between MSI and the Iconoclasts. Neat, a pretty reasonable ending, but then you can't actually give the targeting computer to them? You know, the catalyst for the end-game of the plot? I get that the two factions are all buddy-buddy now and thus there's less of a threat, but you'd think that they would still want something to keep the still-present threat of Marauders and wildlife away from Stellar Bay.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Outer Worlds has some good writing but less interesting practical narrative choices and systems than, say, New Vegas. New Vegas allowed a frankly really surprising degree of conflict resolution options for a non-2D rpg, and on top of that most areas and quest chains could end up very entangled. Comparitively, Outer Worlds is pretty standard and formulaic in how it's laid out by the standards of these types of game.

It's hard to say if that was intentional choice to simplify the game from both a development and/or user interface standard by the devs, or a compromise to ship the game with... less bugs.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Outer Worlds has some good writing but less interesting practical narrative choices and systems than, say, New Vegas. New Vegas allowed a frankly really surprising degree of conflict resolution options for a non-2D rpg, and on top of that most areas and quest chains could end up very entangled. Comparitively, Outer Worlds is pretty standard and formulaic in how it's laid out by the standards of these types of game.

It's hard to say if that was intentional choice to simplify the game from both a development and/or user interface standard by the devs, or a compromise to ship the game with... less bugs.

Outer Worlds also doesn't do a great job of balancing its humor and creating a world that makes sense and has compelling drama. The satire level is just turned way too high, without every actually being all that funny. All of the companions are skin-deep tropes whose questlines aren't particular complelling except one, and she's still a trope just a very charming one.

The NPCs are generally there as punchlines, so you don't really get invested in anyone or their problems. A lot of the narrative paths are also hardwired to make sure you took steps in the right order, when the actual depicted situation could be resolved better with just more dialogue choice or more clarity about the consequences of taking one action against the other.

For all the Obsidian love, this is one area where I think Bethesda's writers are far superior. They are better at balancing absurdity and genuine human drama, and there are some deeply compelling human stories and memorable characters in all of their Fallouts.

It's a fun game and worth playing, but I ended up feeling frustrated and unsatisfied.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm so insanely late to the party, having forgotten entirely about this game until I saw it used at a Walmart.

I'm enjoying it. I was able to unite the two factions on Monarch, disliked Vicar Max so much that I'm not sure I even got an option for him to join my crew, and I guess I'll have to start using SAM and Felix a little bit?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg