Options

Outer Worlds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How much am I actually gonna see the face I made? At all?

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen my face yet, but I know it's handsome

I changed my revolver from being a bullet revolver to a plasma revolver, that's pretty neat

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    what do you do in dark bramble to find the signal

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I've been trying to get into 3rd person view like you could in skyrim and fallout but I don't think this game has that.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

If you get your intelligence high enough you can pass the skill check in the dialog with the science guy to let you in. Baring that you gotta get your sneak skills up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Shoot the probe in the hole then find the probe.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

You can turn off visual helmets on you and your companions. You are still wearing it for stats purposes. You can then see your face in the inventory screen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I gotta say, so far I like Ada better than Parvati & Max combined

e: anyone know how/if one can cycle the inhaler slots? There's no keybind for it, and without being able to switch, why have the slots in the first place

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »

e: anyone know how/if one can cycle the inhaler slots? There's no keybind for it, and without being able to switch, why have the slots in the first place

The slots combine everything in them, so every time you inhale you are basically using each of those items at once.

Such as huffing bananas!

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

The slots combine everything in them, so every time you inhale you are basically using each of those items at once.

Such as huffing bananas!

Oooohhhh, that explains a lot. Thanks!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I have played the game long enough to find the first three paragraphs of the Kotaku review hilarious.
    The very first quest in The Outer Worlds, Obsidian’s highly anticipated first-person RPG out October 25, asked me to make what felt like an impossible choice. On one side was a community of outsiders frustrated by corporate control. Their outpost was something like a worker’s paradise—they were well fed and mostly happy, surviving by relying on each other. I admired their leader, Adelaide, for the passion that she had for her people. On the other side was the corporate-owned town they left, led by Reed Tobson, an idiot that didn’t seem to realize that asking his workers to only eat canned fish (for protein!) led to the population being ravaged by plagues. Despite how much I hated Tobson, he was right that the people working for him suffered because of the workers that had abandoned the town to form their own community.

I still don’t know if I did the right thing.

The choice I would make would destroy one of these two communities permanently. I managed to find an in-between option, which disbanded the outpost of deserters but also allowed for deep reforms in the town. I was satisfied with this for a short while, but when I got back to my ship, I saw that I’d received a bit of memorabilia from my adventure: a town sign. As I sidled up to examine it, its description told me that I had taught the deserters something important about their dream of a life without corporations: to never dream.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Haven’t started playing yet but seeing comments all over the place about the tiny font choice.

This is a problem in so many modern games and it always confuses me. How do devs and UI designers always manage to miss this?

rhylith on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Haven’t started playing yet but seeing comments all over the place about the tiny font choice.

This is a problem in so many modern games and it always confuses me. How do devs and UI designers always manage to miss this?

I would have thought devs would have learned after Dead Rising 1's awful, awful, tiny text at a time when CRT TVs were still common.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So Parvati
    This whole romance subquest with her and the groundbreakers lady engineer is adorable

• Options
    Man, encumberance is still the worst thing

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

I would have thought devs would have learned after Dead Rising 1's awful, awful, tiny text at a time when CRT TVs were still common.

I just booted it up on xbox and I could barely read a goddamn thing unless I sat right in front of the TV.

I think I'm gonna have to play it on PC and see if playing at a desk right in front of my monitor helps at all (thanks gamepass)

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like this game so far

real good music, and it's got so much more polish than pretty much everything else Obsidian has made

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    They are a priest on a smuggler ship with an eclectic crew who also is good at shooting people.

Pretty much just that.

Also the ship layout is like 80% the Serenity.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Only an hour or so in but I love the art direction, and the fact that the guy who saves you has multiple comments when you reduce/max out a stat or select a background was delightful.

But once again tiny text strikes, it is extremely deflating to go through the entire options menu and see that text size isn't an option.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Funny enough, my schedule today has meant that the thread title is eerily accurate for me

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I haven't found an inbetween option yet, but I think I am going to fuck up the cannery. I am roleplaying extremely pissed about the way everyone talks about the Hope.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I really miss the character creator options from Code Vein. Being able to save different looks to a slot to experiment with different looks was really nice. Also, and holy shit how does every game with a customizable character not have this, different lighting filters would have been great to see how your character looks in different lighting.

In terms of a concern I know some people had, I’m playing it on base PS4 and it’s running fine and looks good.

I’m only like 10 minutes in but I’m having fun so far.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    The Pavarti companion quest line has been amazing so far.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There is zero similarities between Firefly priest guy and Vicar Max, none whatsoever

Vicar Max is a hacker who likes hurting people

EDIT: Also don't agonize over character creation, you will literally never see your character. Ever.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ah damn it

spoilers for Comes Now the Power
    I sent power to the deserters - Adelaide had been talking about her camp growing, and I foolishly assumed that also meant taking in the people from Edgewater

but I went to talk to her after I made the choice and she's like "well I hate to have to turn them away but we can't have any corporate loyalists coming into our camp" and I'm like god DAMN it you duplicitous old hippie

• Options
    Comes Now the Power outcomes
    I mostly allowed Parvati to convince me to divert power to Edgewater, but then got Reed to quit and Adelaide to return to town with everyone else.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    The problems in Edgewater
    are only partly because of Reed and the town is pretty much doomed to suffer as long as Spacer's Choice and anybody loyal to the company is in charge of anything.

You know, the company that had robots murder everybody at a power plant as part of what was probably an insurance scam.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The problems in Edgewater
    are only partly because of Reed and the town is pretty much doomed to suffer as long as Spacer's Choice and anybody remotely loyal to the company is in charge of anything.
    You're not necessarily wrong, but nothing you can do at that point can fix that, so you have to pick the solution that works best with the resources you have available.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I am sticking to my principle of Fuck The Corpos but it's gonna be tough

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    are armor and weapon mods consumed when applied, or can I slap the same one on as many items as I want?

• Options
    are armor and weapon mods consumed when applied, or can I slap the same one on as many items as I want?

Consumed when applied, that said so far they've been fairly plentiful

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    What does the thread title mean?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    so here's something that annoys me

all these games saying they have "New Vegas Style" survival mechanics

they don't, really

in New Vegas, the need for drinking, eating and sleeping were completely unrelated to enemy difficulty, permadeath or any of that nonsense

and that's what I want

I want to have to consider subsistence survival in the wilds without worrying about my companions getting slaughtered or a hostile NPC turning into a bullet sponge

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    What does the thread title mean?

It's a reference to the thread title for The Outer Wilds, a very similarly named game that a bunch of us are constantly getting mixed up with this one

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    is unarmed combat present/viable? this may or may not be a deal breaker

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    is unarmed combat present/viable? this may or may not be a deal breaker

You can not fight unarmed as far as I've found, but there is melee weapons

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So I take it this game if pretty good? Reviews seen to be saying it's "good but not better than expected", which sounds so strange, like..
    What?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    ah damn it

spoilers for Comes Now the Power
    I sent power to the deserters - Adelaide had been talking about her camp growing, and I foolishly assumed that also meant taking in the people from Edgewater

but I went to talk to her after I made the choice and she's like "well I hate to have to turn them away but we can't have any corporate loyalists coming into our camp" and I'm like god DAMN it you duplicitous old hippie
    the way I took that is she will welcome anyone who is willing to renounce spacer's choice, but some people are just too deeply brainwashed to do that, and they will be turned away

PNk1Ml4.png