As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Only $90 a pack*

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Drownyard being ramp in any color that can discard it was always super cool to me but it's just a wee bit too expensive :c

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure every Titan got a turn while Wolf Run X was a thing.

And then when all the Titans had had a turn Wurm Coil Engine got a go too.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    yeah it was awesome

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I miss Gavony Township desperately, reprint that cycle in M21

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    It feels like a real embarrassment of the mtg public that whenever a streamer brings up bans for pioneer someone is still suggesting they should ban cruise or marvel.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    why's that

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I mean I'm always happy to see Marvel banned because it's a lame play pattern to go against.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Whippy wrote: »
    why's that

Because they are all good but reasonable cards. Marvel might not even be a good deck. Its people who assumed they would be busted refusing to change their mind when they see it get played.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah i confirmation bias feel like I've noticed a giant uptick in the magic community ever since the idea that standard bans were possible became a thing around SOI/KLD, maybe even back to the Twin ban... it's just every time some deck is good people start being reactionaries crying for them to be banned. Like... cards are allowed to be good. Decks are allowed to be good.

I played in that NRG 5k yesterday and my personal takeaway was that so far the format seems dope, with a slight preference to people playing basically whatever standard deck they liked in the past 5 years maybe with a few upgrades. I played a card in my deck that is banned in modern, legacy, and restricted in vintage and you know how it felt in the pioneer format? It was ok.

so far the only thing that feels remotely possible to curtail is the devotion strategies picking up free leyline pips, but I'm and many of the people i talked to at the event felt like we need to play with things for more than the 2 weeks the formats been live to figure things out and as long as this meta continues to evolve naturally, I hope they let the players guide that growth before they start cutting things out just because they were too powerful in completely different formats.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Options
    me, some time ago: "huh, I wonder why caleb has so many mods"
    me, today, after asking a rules question and having three different mods mock me for not knowing it: "ah I see"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    In the Arena thread, we discussed the interaction between adventures and cascade.

In Pioneer, someone took that to its logical(?) conclusion:

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    me, today, after asking a rules question and having three different mods mock me for not knowing it: "ah I see"

Lol some of us are less trolly. Want to PM me the info and I can bring it up with the rest?

• Options

Ominous. I really hope they don’t fuck this up.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Oh neat... I wouldn't have seen that tweet because Cedric blocked me on twitter

• Options

You could follow Forsythe?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

p weird since I think Caleb is one of the nicest mfers in MTG streaming.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

You could follow Forsythe?

Yes...

That's a reasonable solution for me

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

p weird since I think Caleb is one of the nicest mfers in MTG streaming.

It wasn't anything over the top, I was just salty at 2am :P

That said, Caleb does very incisively go after people who ask dumb questions moreso than most streamers do. Which is usually fair, but can still come off as a bit aggro.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    why's that

Because they are all good but reasonable cards. Marvel might not even be a good deck. Its people who assumed they would be busted refusing to change their mind when they see it get played.

cruise is not a reasonable card

it's not as busted in a format without fetches, but it's still a draw 3

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    why's that

cruise is not a reasonable card

it's not as busted in a format without fetches, but it's still a draw 3

That does not make it inherently too good. Even in a format like standard which did have fetches it was a reasonable card that was never in danger of banning. In this format it may be even more benign. It requires extremely limited deckbuilding to make any good use out of it and even in those decks its only very good.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Pioneer is full of unreasonable cards and that's fine, because it's a powerful format.

• Options
    First Pioneer casualties:

Felidar Guardian (duh)
    Leyline of Abundance (green devotion was dumb, apparently)
    Oath of Nissa (specifically calling out 3-mana PWs)

• Options
    Wow sticking with banning Felidar over the planeswalker huh? I can't imagine why they would do so now that the pack-buying incentive is gone.

Anyway I pretty much disagree with a lot of this. Even if it needed doing eventually it doesn't need to be done now and I think that the argument re: Felidar is straight up bad. Banning cards that require that you play interaction is how you get 20 goldfish decks like in a lot of recent modern. Gonna try to keep an open mind and stay positive but this has me worried.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They banned Felidar Guardian because it's a better card than Saheeli Rai.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    welp, time for phoenix hegemony I guess

• Options
    Felidar Guardian is a... creature. You think that banning it is going to push creature removal out of the format?

• Options

Sure but not in any way that is dangerous, right? Saheeli will now receive zero play and Felidar could have receive some play in a flicker deck and been completely safe.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Sure but not in any way that is dangerous, right? Saheeli will now receive zero play and Felidar could have receive some play in a flicker deck and been completely safe.

the point was to kill copycat

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Felidar Guardian is a... creature. You think that banning it is going to push creature removal out of the format?

Their specific argument was

"The Felidar Guardian/Saheeli Rai combination threatens metagame diversity by requiring decks to present specific types of early interaction while developing their own strategy or else immediately lose the game. Rather than allow this combination to warp deck building and the metagame around it, we're choosing to ban a card. Of the two options, Felidar Guardian is the most likely to break again with existing or future cards."

This was the exact argument they made about Twin and while that ban arguably was good for modern for awhile the push to eliminate decks that required other decks to interact resulted in a bunch of decks that didn't. I fear that will happen again. Powerful decks with solid plans that don't bother to try to play against their opponent's gameplay. So yeah I guess I am.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Felidar would not have received any play in a flicker deck. It is unplayable unless you are abusing it to go infinite. There is no harm to the format to ban a card that only exists to go infinite.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    the twin ban was the best thing that ever happened to modern, and the goldfishing that resulted with the past year was largely the result of shitty graveyard matters decks

banning gaak and bridge has turned modern into a much more healthy format again

• Options

Yes, obviously? So the question is why kill a fun playable creature over a garbage planeswalker that will do literally nothing. Either option kills Copycat. In standard the theory was that WotC didn't want to ban the mythic rare planeswalker if they could help it but nobody is cracking those packs anymore. They could ban either and they picked Felidar? I mean ok neither really matters all that much but the Cat could have been a little fun.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Yes, obviously? So the question is why kill a fun playable creature over a garbage planeswalker that will do literally nothing. Either option kills Copycat. In standard the theory was that WotC didn't want to ban the mythic rare planeswalker if they could help it but nobody is cracking those packs anymore. They could ban either and they picked Felidar? I mean ok neither really matters all that much but the Cat could have been a little fun.

interacting with walkers is more difficult than creatures, and walkers present greater options in the future

• Options
    They're saying it's a lot more likely they print a playable Saheeli effect than a playable Felidar Guardian effect.

• Options
    Treasure cruise will be banned next week and also probably something from ascendancy combo.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Killing copycat is almost as bad a decision as killing Twin was.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Banning Saheeli Rai means committing to never making a PW that can copy a creature you control again, ever.

Banning Felidar Guardian means never printing a creature that can flicker target permanent on ETB again.

The former seems like a much larger loss of design space than the latter, so they banned the cat.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    And hey while I’m spewing hot takes modern is a bad format and has been for a very long time. People do nothing but complain about it. The best deck is aconstantly obvious and almost always a painful slog. Most of the decks in the format are. Urza, Tron, and deathshadow are all painful to play against.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Both Felidar and Saheeli are too weak to be played fairly, but "PW with clone abilities" is a lot cooler than "broader than usual flicker."

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.