As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zack and Miri Make [movies]

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Joker got 11 noms? THE FUCKING JOKER MOVIE GOT 11 NOMS?! ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?!§!

Like instead give Marty Scorsese an extra Oscar each for Taxi Driver and King of Comedy instead. Then give him an Oscar for the Irishman because he is old and there are not a lot of Marty Scorsese movies in our future

There is literally no Universe, DCEU, MCU or ours, where Joker deserves to be the most nominated movie of the year. Let alone 11 nods.

Fuck the Academy!

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It felt like such a complete retread of that era of films, and people love the shit out of that era of films, that I am kind of not surprised it got nominated for a bunch of stuff. It being nominated 11 times almost feels like joke territory though. Overall I rated it "It's fiiiiiiiiiiiine, I guess", I kind of hated what felt like a shoehorning in of the direct DC references.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    This article is interesting:

Kevin Garnett Gets the Rock
    The Safdie brothers’ latest film, ‘Uncut Gems,’ is, in many ways, a basketball movie. Here’s how the directors, two die-hard Knicks fans, landed KG, built a story around him, and made what can be described as an NBA fan’s fever dream.

As a deeply out-of-touch non-sports-watching person I didn't know as I was watching that all the games in the movie were real, or that KG was an actual basketball player playing himself. The whole movie is basically alt-history basketball fanfiction, which I think is cool. Also, as a consequence of the movie faithfully depicting actual games, this is probably
    the only basketball movie in history where the climatic game doesn't end with the stereotypical buzzer-beater last-second win

dude was a decent enough actor I forgot he was a real ball player

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    #OscarsSokayBoomer

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Only 4 more films until A24 hits 100 movies released. Makes me want to go through and watch the whole catalog, though I know there's some stinkers in there (not sure I can force myself to sit through a documentary about Oasis, for example).

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jesus that list of nominations . . . :bigfrown:

The Academy just undid 10 years of PR work.

And Todd Phillips for Best Director?? That’s a stain that won’t wash off.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Definitely another year where I can safely ignore the Oscars.

The only Oscars thing I've cared about in at least the last five years or so was if Blade Runner 2049 would get cinematography (for Deakins) and VFX, and it did.

Aside from the very real major problems with that noms list, one small personal gripe that no-one else will care about...
    No VFX nod for Godzilla: King of the Monsters? Boo.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    A dark part of me hopes joker just sweeps the awards so the oscars immolates and no one ever pays attention to them again.

the oscars have been bad for

ever

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    did they give Green book best picture

i mean

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The oscars suck

Also, along with other shocking events of 2006, I will unveil

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    One of the movie-related purchases I've made that I'm most fond of is Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, the Criterion collection of pretty much all the director's films, including different editions (e.g. both film and TV series versions of Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander). It's just a beautiful, beautiful collection, and it's made me wonder: what other collections of this kind would I buy if they came out?

For me, if Criterion gave Akira Kurosawa the same treatment, I'd be all over that. What about other people here? What big-ass collection would make you weak at the knees?

Criterion's yearly doodle alluded to box sets on Fellini, Varda, Wong Kar-Wai, and Bruce Lee coming this year. I think doing a comprehensive set has done well for them in the past, so it's nice to see them commit further to that. Personally, I'd like to see complete filmography sets on directors that haven't really had a good history of HD physical releases. Shinji Somai, Frantisek Vlacil, Marguerite Duras; someone like that.

As for the Oscars, boring nominations. Maybe it's a little cool that a film from North Macedonia received two nominations (how often do documentaries receive foreign language nominations?---I can't recall any others), but these nominees feel pretty conservative. I legitimately thought that Song or Cho from Parasite was going to get an acting nomination after Roma scored a couple last year.

Anyhow the best thing about the Oscars is clearly the On Cinema Oscar Special, so at least I can laugh at ineptitude and bad decisions that night instead of feeling depressed by it.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The oscars suck

I should get a reverse mortgage, right?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

i mean

Blaze of Glory not winning best song struck 12 year old me as wrong.

I haven't watched the Oscar's since Fury Road was screwed out of Best Picture and George Miller didn't win best director.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The oscars suck

I should get a reverse mortgage, right?

Is that where a bank pays me to live in my house?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Joker got 11 noms? THE FUCKING JOKER MOVIE GOT 11 NOMS?! ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?!§!

Like instead give Marty Scorsese an extra Oscar each for Taxi Driver and King of Comedy instead. Then give him an Oscar for the Irishman because he is old and there are not a lot of Marty Scorsese movies in our future

There is literally no Universe, DCEU, MCU or ours, where Joker deserves to be the most nominated movie of the year. Let alone 11 nods.

Fuck the Academy!

I agree, should have recieved more.

In all seriousness, not sure why these are so surprising based on the membership that comprises the Oscars nominating pool and history of noms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Fuck the Academy!

You need to relax a little.

resim_UEU0xWaWJmZNRkU.jpeg

And Joker has a very good shot at both Best Actor and Best Director and whatever else it may get, maybe even Best Movie. So that's fun.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think there should be 2 Oscars every year.

One for this year and one for the movies 10 years ago.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Only 10?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

The Safdie brothers’ latest film, ‘Uncut Gems,’ is, in many ways, a basketball movie. Here’s how the directors, two die-hard Knicks fans, landed KG, built a story around him, and made what can be described as an NBA fan’s fever dream.

As a deeply out-of-touch non-sports-watching person I didn't know as I was watching that all the games in the movie were real, or that KG was an actual basketball player playing himself. The whole movie is basically alt-history basketball fanfiction, which I think is cool. Also, as a consequence of the movie faithfully depicting actual games, this is probably
    the only basketball movie in history where the climatic game doesn't end with the stereotypical buzzer-beater last-second win

dude was a decent enough actor I forgot he was a real ball player
    That movie was well acted. Adam Sandler’s character was played well, I felt triggered and angry at him the whole movie, which was kind of the point.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Only 10?

I feel like it gives you distance without overwhelming everything with nostalgia.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I wish I’d seen The Joker before reading so many takes on it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I wish I’d seen The Joker before reading so many takes on it.
    Yeah I think the reason I liked it as much as I did was I watched a preview and put my head in the dirt about it.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I liked Joker a lot, but the only nomination I'd have granted is Best Actor, were I Oscar.

Sad at the total lack of The Lighthouse, as that was my favorite of the year. Still need to see Parasite and Knives Out, though.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I liked Joker a lot, but the only nomination I'd have granted is Best Actor, were I Oscar.

Sad at the total lack of The Lighthouse, as that was my favorite of the year. Still need to see Parasite and Knives Out, though.

The Lighthouse got nominated for Best Cinematography, which is more than I thought it would get.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

i mean

I haven't watched the Oscar's since Fury Road was screwed out of Best Picture and George Miller didn't win best director.

That was an egregious one, especially the latter. I mean, I never expected the movie to win; the nomination was effectively a win for a movie like that. But Miller deserved the actual win.

If you want the single starkest illustration of the Oscars' irrelevance these days, I will remind the thread that neither Paddington nor Paddington 2 were nominated for anything.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) is... surprising in a lot of ways for an re-edit of a foreign film? Don't get me wrong, they kill the pacing and make it a far inferior film, but it preserves more of the original Japanese dialogue than I would have thought.

All things considered, I give the Raymond Burr version a solid B+. It would have been easier to repackage it as a dumb monster flick, but there was a clear effort to maintain some of the gravitas of the original.

The weirdest thing about that reedit has to be the fact that the did the same thing for Godzilla 1985, where they also brought in Raymond Burr for the English scenes. It was the first "serious" Godzilla movie they'd done for a long while, though, so while it was a bit out of the blue to bring in Burr, I guess it made some sense.

I can't recall where I read this, but supposedly the plan for Godzilla 1985 was to make it a goofy B-movie. However, they also wanted Raymond Burr back, and he insisted that they take the movie more seriously.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jazz wrote: »

i mean

That was an egregious one, especially the latter. I mean, I never expected the movie to win; the nomination was effectively a win for a movie like that. But Miller deserved the actual win.

If you want the single starkest illustration of the Oscars' irrelevance these days, I will remind the thread that neither Paddington nor Paddington 2 were nominated for anything.

I loved both Paddington movies, but I have no idea what they would be up for. There's not an award for "Most Delightful" or "Cuddliest Actor" or "Best Use of Bread Spreads in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    One of the movie-related purchases I've made that I'm most fond of is Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, the Criterion collection of pretty much all the director's films, including different editions (e.g. both film and TV series versions of Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander). It's just a beautiful, beautiful collection, and it's made me wonder: what other collections of this kind would I buy if they came out?
    snip

For me, if Criterion gave Akira Kurosawa the same treatment, I'd be all over that. What about other people here? What big-ass collection would make you weak at the knees?

Their Godzilla collection! If only for that amazing box art.
    cwdyHIkniaV8zGU6AiJ3VV9sROxOTd_original.jpg

I recently noticed that apparently Criterion made more copies of the UK release, which was originally limited and sold out months before release (I got in early enough to get one). This set has clearly done well here as well as seemingly being a resounding success in its American release. So I hope one day Criteron can wangle being able to do the Heisei and Millennium sets too.

Might seem impossible with their tangled distribution rights over the years (and I bet Sony wouldn't make it easy on that score); but before it got announced, who thought we'd see the Showa set? And with things like the Japanese cut of King Kong vs Godzilla included? It could happen.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

i mean

I loved both Paddington movies, but I have no idea what they would be up for. There's not an award for "Most Delightful" or "Cuddliest Actor" or "Best Use of Bread Spreads in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy."

:lol:

I think you may have some good ideas there. Seriously though, what about production design, visual effects, screenplay (not sure if they'd fall under adapted or original), director, supporting actor for Hugh Grant in 2. And I'm quite biased enough to add best picture. They're easily top nine or whatever for their respective years.

Edit for TexiKen's post below: original score and original song too, quite right.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I definitely don't think Joker deserves eleven awards.

However, the fact it ended up making over a billion dollars, became the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time, and got an absurd number of award nominations despite all the weird pre-release online drama is kind of funny.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

This actually also makes some sense as it’s a basketball *gambling* movie.
    Nobody bets on the raw outcome of the game. It’s always a spread and/or random individual performance metrics. So last minute buzzer beaters aren’t dramatic at all to gamblers. Having recently gotten back into low-stakes DFS betting, at the same time I watched that movie, it really struck me how I’m sometimes watching a game and not giving the slightest whiff of a shit who wins. I care who’s touching the ball. It can be at the same time a much more engaging and incredibly empty way to watch sports.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Paddington could easily be nominated for best original score, they make everything different but classy and appealing and effervescent, I had Bear Bath as my ringtone for a good year and a half. I'd even like a token nomination for visual effects because given the budget the actual manifesting of Paddington to be so normal with the Browns is great.

And seeing how absolute shit the original song category is these days, any of the songs the old Trinidad singers made could have worked for Paddington 2, particularly Love Thy Neighbor (along with Hugh Grant being nominated for supporting actor like the Bafta's did).

One thing I secretly hope for this year in film is the new Top Gun movie a) being as great as the original and b) having an excellent soundtrack like the first movie did and try and jumpstart legit good soundtracks with more than one song again.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Oh also I finally watched The Lighthouse and I did not enjoy that at all. I’m officially turning into an old person, maybe?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

However, the fact it ended up making over a billion dollars, became the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time, and got an absurd number of award nominations despite all the weird pre-release online drama is kind of funny.

Hell, it might be because of that. The people pushing online drama never learn the lesson that press is press, even bad press.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Honestly I have kind of come to expect this kind of thing. It usually happens when there is a movie that deserves to win, but is out of step with the tastes of the academy's old elite. Like Green book or Crash. The obvious answers where Brokeback Mountain and BlackKKKlansman, but both of those pictures where too raw for the mostly old and white academy voters. So they chose the safe alternative. Its like they get a brain bug about "not wanting to seem out of step" so they nominate a "safe" alternative.

Here it seems to be a combination of two things: Avengers: Endgame being a culmination of 11 years of story telling featuring career defining performances by several great actors and The Irishman being a Netflix film instead of the theaters.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Movie thread, I'm looking for recommendations for a very specific thing and I'm not sure if this will make sense

But I want some dumb action movies that think they're really cool. There's like a specific kind of stupid-cool that I'm very into and the best example I can think of is Equilibrium starring Christian Bale. Gun Kata is stupid but it's also an excuse for Christian Bale to do cool poses and shoot a lot of mans. If the movie has a nu-metal song on the soundtrack somewhere it's probably got at least a little stupid-cool going on.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Reznik wrote: »
    Movie thread, I'm looking for recommendations for a very specific thing and I'm not sure if this will make sense

But I want some dumb action movies that think they're really cool. There's like a specific kind of stupid-cool that I'm very into and the best example I can think of is Equilibrium starring Christian Bale. Gun Kata is stupid but it's also an excuse for Christian Bale to do cool poses and shoot a lot of mans. If the movie has a nu-metal song on the soundtrack somewhere it's probably got at least a little stupid-cool going on.
    "Upgrade" from last year might fit the bill. Maybe "Ultraviolet" from 2006? Or "Shoot 'Em Up" from 2007?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Probably the John Wick series. Maybe that Hardcore Henry movie, all shot in first person.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Cobra
    Showdown in Little Tokyo
    Versus

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

"Upgrade" from last year might fit the bill. Maybe "Ultraviolet" from 2006? Or "Shoot 'Em Up" from 2007?

1986's Cobra, written by and starring Sylvester Stallone

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.