As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Death Stranding

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    i wouldn't be surprised if there wasnt some sort of analytics release about how and what people build.

id like to see the asymmetrical buildings that dont necessarily sit near high traffic areas but sorta guide people towards exploration. id like to see supplemental content that encourages wandering without necessarily making deliveries.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    looked up how the rest of this goes cause I'm not gonna be able to get back to playing it for a while and whoops, there goes all my enthusiasm, flying right out the window! goodbye, enthusiasm! Kojima murdered you with his bad story!

6F32U1X.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    it bugs the shit out of me that each person can leave a bajillion likes

you get one! that way I actually have any at all useful information on how many people actually use the thing!

Nah fuck that, I love leaving a bajillion likes

That way when I get a bajillion I know someone, somewhere, really appreciated that climbing rope or that watchtower

(Though admittedly the most likes I’ve gotten was from building roads, bridge link level 70 in an hour baby hell yeah)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I got to episode 10 last night and the story just keeps getting worse and worse

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Do you remember when you were hoping it was a subtle work about the emancipation of labour from relentless capital

I'm in chapter 8, and like

yeah, no, it's not that, is it

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Very High IQ - Death Stranding 1:21
    https://youtu.be/D2b_fC947BQ
    This is pretty much the first thing I tried but I somehow managed to miss the ladders and fall inside and I never attempted it again

Peas wrote: »
    Very High IQ - Death Stranding 1:21
    https://youtu.be/D2b_fC947BQ
    This is pretty much the first thing I tried but I somehow managed to miss the ladders and fall inside and I never attempted it again

Okay but for real, I just tried this with a single ladder someone else placed and I can confirm that it totally works with a bike

Gotta thread that fuckin needle but it really does feel like you’re getting away with something

signature-deffo.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Do you remember when you were hoping it was a subtle work about the emancipation of labour from relentless capital

I mean, labor is effectively free from capital given you like, don't get paid for anything

I ate an engineer
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    What is the structure of the fragile express. Is it a coop

PNk1Ml4.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

I mean, labor is effectively free from capital given you like, don't get paid for anything

u get paid

in likes

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Where are they getting raw materials from. Are there miners

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »

They extract them using an automated pulverizing system called a "BB gun."

No more questions.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Couriers pick them up. You even get missions where you can too. Couriers, of course, being Mules who dressed up in white to go work.

The entire economy is based on people who are addicted to likes and delivering packages.

edited November 2019
    I wonder if the folks in the DS world are vegans now, with pretty much all the animals dying and all
    Although they still have pizza apparently so there must be something still producing milk for the cheese

Speaking of animals I was secretly hoping for a bear to come out of nowhere

Peas on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    These cutscenes are so fucking boring

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I wonder if the folks in the DS world are vegans now, with pretty much all the animals dying and all
    Although they still have pizza apparently so there must be something still producing milk for the cheese

Speaking of animals I was secretly hoping for a bear to come out of nowhere

Cryptobiote cheese and cryptobiote pepperoni

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Chapter 5:
    Got to Mountain Knot City, barely. My truck died within spitting distance of the town, thankfully it died where there was sun so I was eventually able to move it. I don’t know how exactly the your vehicles appearing in other people’s games works so I always like park my truck in odd spots I don’t expect people to go. Like is it only when you go over the vehicle limit does the one that gets abandoned show up in other people’s worlds or do any of them?

Anyways, I was immediately told to fuck off and since the story is entirely transactional I went to find the order to magically convince them to find nothing. Wandered around to the box homes a bit, killed myself in the tar for funsies, then decided to scale the peak thinking maybe there is something lost up at these skyscraper ruins I can get. Turns out there are snow ghosts too and they don’t fuck around as I had to fight two watchers at once. Expended almost all my resources but I won. Figure if going up the mountain isn’t the right path maybe I need to go back down. But surely the game can’t be thinking that, I just got here and it sucked to do so. For whatever reason I checked my email and some dude is like Go see Mama.

Oh, you mean the person who is basically the furthest from this point one can be? Fuck off. Everybody calls my ass why can’t I dial out?

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    These cutscenes are so fucking boring

You've completely stopped talking about the story beats post-Chapter 5! This is a pretty heavy shift

dN0T6ur.png
    I am approaching chapter 5 and so far the story is bad? But it is not that bad

I feel like either things are gonna take a turn or alla y’all are weak

signature-deffo.jpg
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I finished this last weekend and the story is "bad" in all the ways I wanted and expected from a crazy Kojima game about a post apocalyptic postman and baby ghost radar. Probably my game of the year, and is up there with my favorites. I had an amazing time start to finish.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    In the post-game I'm starting to feel it dragging. Even with ziplines there are restrictions on where I can get to (as I'm limited building them) without a huge slog and some of the sites you need to get to 5 stars take the piss. Some places you give them an item and you're on 3 stars. The novelist I've done about 5 trips for and I'm at about a quarter star, same with the prepper and they're both far out of the way. It just seems like needless busy work. Like the mountaineer, I'm close to max stars but I've done so many huge trips for him and I SAVED HIS BABY'S LIFE, so give me 5 stars easier dude. I don't know if it's worth platinuming at this point. It'd be better if I could listen to music on the go, plus as I get unlocks from the preppers it just irritates me more that I wasn't able to use them during the main game.

Olivaw wrote: »
    I am approaching chapter 5 and so far the story is bad? But it is not that bad

I feel like either things are gonna take a turn or alla y’all are weak

I liked the first four chapters just fine

Chapter 5 is deeply stupid, then I was fine again for a while

Once you get to the final act of the game everything onward is terrible

It makes very little sense, and worse than that it's deeply, deeply boring

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Chapter 5:
    Oh boy if I thought I was pissed before at the proposition of having to go all the way back to talk to Mama but I basically just rage quit the game.

So I walk my ass all the way down the mountain, get a new truck and got back on the highway and made it back aaaand now I have to do the reverse trip but carrying Mama. Easy peasey I thought, I can just put her in the truck and we’re good.

Then Higgs is like hey fuck you have a boss fight. It seems like the game wants you to run but instead I just ditched Mama and picked all my crap back up and killed the watcher instead. Truck magically reappears after the area clears up, I start loading everything back on it and grab Mama.

What do you mean I can’t put Mama on the truck?! It has a functioning passenger seat! I’ve put corpses on it! Fuck everything.

So I left Mama on the ground and went to a safe house someone built outside Mama’s lab and caught up on my sleep, took a shower, crushed some monsters.

And then turned my PS4 off.

Lasbrook wrote: »
    Chapter 5:
    Oh boy if I thought I was pissed before at the proposition of having to go all the way back to talk to Mama but I basically just rage quit the game.

So I walk my ass all the way down the mountain, get a new truck and got back on the highway and made it back aaaand now I have to do the reverse trip but carrying Mama. Easy peasey I thought, I can just put her in the truck and we’re good.

Then Higgs is like hey fuck you have a boss fight. It seems like the game wants you to run but instead I just ditched Mama and picked all my crap back up and killed the watcher instead. Truck magically reappears after the area clears up, I start loading everything back on it and grab Mama.

What do you mean I can’t put Mama on the truck?! It has a functioning passenger seat! I’ve put corpses on it! Fuck everything.

So I left Mama on the ground and went to a safe house someone built outside Mama’s lab and caught up on my sleep, took a shower, crushed some monsters.

this is some kind of glitch, you can totally use the truck for that

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    In the post-game I'm starting to feel it dragging. Even with ziplines there are restrictions on where I can get to (as I'm limited building them) without a huge slog and some of the sites you need to get to 5 stars take the piss. Some places you give them an item and you're on 3 stars. The novelist I've done about 5 trips for and I'm at about a quarter star, same with the prepper and they're both far out of the way. It just seems like needless busy work. Like the mountaineer, I'm close to max stars but I've done so many huge trips for him and I SAVED HIS BABY'S LIFE, so give me 5 stars easier dude. I don't know if it's worth platinuming at this point. It'd be better if I could listen to music on the go, plus as I get unlocks from the preppers it just irritates me more that I wasn't able to use them during the main game.

Read their emails. Most hidden preppers star rating is email gated.

I ate an engineer
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    milski wrote: »

Read their emails. Most hidden preppers star rating is email gated.

I'd read them all for the trophy XD still doesn't make a difference. I think there may be a prepper I'm missing too. I've got the photographer, novelist's son, first prepper, spiritualist, mountaineer, doctor, geologist, palentologist, exo-biologist, veteran prepper, cosplayer, collector, chiral artist, junk dealer, film director, engineer, crafter, elder, musician, robotocist, and Luden's fan. It's definitely not a game I'll pay again after all this.

AlphaRomero on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Chapter 5:

this is some kind of glitch, you can totally use the truck for that

You can't load her as cargo, you just get in with her on your back and she'll teleport to the passenger seat.

Oh brilliant
    edited November 2019
    Chapter 9:
    I put Edge Knot City online and got the attack of the 50ft Amelie nightmare? And saw alarms going off and warning of a being coming then decided to take a break and eat dinner and it’s given me time to think and I feel like some things aren’t adding up. Wasn’t the idea that separatists were holding Amelie at Edge Knot City? It’s a literal ghost town. I feel like Higgs needing the chiral network to know where Amelie is in some grand race to the finish is bs too. Especially since as soon as I put Edge Knot online Die Hardman was like hey go rest up. I think Amelie is dead and Higgs is using his super fancy DOOMS to summon her ghost to manipulate Sam. Don’t know why though. Maybe he needs Sam to kick off the Sixth Impact?

Edit: I forgot to mention but I can’t wait for the last minute explanation of what DOOMS stands for.

Also, I was excited to see those weird floating things I saw when I tried to look for Texas again! No idea what they are besides slightly annoying. They can’t be ghosts. Which also reminds me, I’ve started getting likes from BTs I kill, or I just started noticing it I don’t know which.

Edit: Still Chapter 9? I don’t think I’ve seen a title card for 10.
    So Amelie was never in danger, except at the end when Higgs got her? I’m really starting to think Higgs was a red herring working for Die Hardman or some shit. Dude basically gave me infinite chances to stop him. He can teleport at will and yet he let me punch him to death. Not to mention he literally called himself a final boss fight. If he wanted human extinction I feel like he could have done it at any time. Deadman is like we thought Cliff was working for Higgs(when?) but maybe Higgs is working for Cliff. That doesn’t make any sense, Cliff doesn’t give a shit about anything except BB.

Also wtf was that running on the beach montage with Amelie?

I’m going to be very cross with Kojima if Die Hardman’s last name is McClane.

I also love the “Hey shit’s gone bad and we had Fragile jump is all back East. But it’s too dangerous to do that for you. Do you mind walking?

I can’t wait to find out tomorrow I’ve been overthinking everything and it’s all just dumb as hell.

Lasbrook on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey I'm at the same place as you!
    Check your emails, there should be one from someone that promises elucidation on Higgs. I've not gone to the location specified yet, but it should be interesting...

Also, Troy Baker was hamming it the hell up with that role, but I loved every dang second. He was delightful to watch.

Oh brilliant
    So I beat this last night and I mostly just... didn’t care.
    I definitely got angry at a lot of the dumb stuff earlier but by the the time I got to 9-10 everything was just washing over me. I’m not sure if I get the message though. By the end Sam has learned to give a shit and had not reconnected America but had reconnected himself. And then we get to all the beach shit and the lesson is yeah we can save the day but we’re all still fucked eventually. And then by the end Sam has lost all his (very sudden)character development and is like fuck everything again. Honestly I feel like the premise that Kojima sold just didn’t really come to fruition, and I don’t know if that’s because they had to cover for the fact reconnecting America was bullshit so Amelie could start the Sixth Impact or Kojima just couldn’t figure out how to make a game where people aren’t constantly talking to you. There’s no real isolation for you or even America. Before you do shit people can do cross-coast hologram communications already. Preppers still get information about the outside world and are already familiar with and have opinions of Bridges by the time you come knocking. I was definitely very done with the super powered BTs when you have to make the trip back East.

All that said, the fact that Tommie Earl Jenkins isn’t up for best performance is trash. That scene where he confessed to Sam was the best performance in the game.

I did still enjoy the gameplay but part of me wonders, what if I had put 80 hours into American Truck Simulator instead.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I'm looking at a gif of Sam taking a tumble down a mountain

Do my eyes deceive me or does this game used pre-made animations for these tumbles? When you get a lot of velocity going the visual cohesion really breaks down because it seems like he absolutely will not ragdoll

dN0T6ur.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah and this ‘The Postman’ sounds an awful like the fetch quest in Link’s Awakening!

In all seriousness though, if you imagine ‘USA in ruins’ at least one of your next thoughts will be ‘What if... someone united the states again?!?’

Endless_Serpents on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The story in this game is so dumb and boring that when I cutscenes, I go to the kitchen and grab a beverage.

BUT, when I get back with that beverage, I deliver another a package.

The world is great, it's incredibly satisfying to rebuild it and traverse it, and I just do not give one single solitary shit about even one plot point

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The concept of the world of the living and the dead merging by degrees is neat, though not the first time I’ve seen it.

I think if you got rid of... everything, and made it so after each delivery you meet a new person uniquely effected by the situation that would have been much more interesting.

No villain, no hero, just a delivery guy getting a package to people dealing with death.

Also pay a writer, these lines are appalling!

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    honestly the only inaccuracy there is he likely based it off the film adaptation.

Because seriously, each game he directs has a movie he loves that basically inspired it. Metal Gear was Escape from New York, Snatcher is Blade Runner, Policenauts is Lethal Weapon.

For goodness sake, Random Hajile is literally Sting in his DUNE costume

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    He didn't direct it but you can make the obvious Zone of the Enders/Mobile Suit Gundam parallel as well

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I’ve read The Postman. There is very little similarity beyond the surface pitch, and even then the book is about a man pretending to be from the government and creating a snowball effect.