As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Death Stranding

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am past chapter five and I am now firmly of the opinion that y’all are soft and this story ain’t that bad

It’s silly and barely defined and borderline nonsensical in service of its images and themes, but so is most anime and I’ve seen worse

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Toooooo bad?

That's how, y'know, art works

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I got about as far as him listing every video game that owes him dues and my eyes glazed over.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Authors have a tendency to take the words of their fans at face value with regards to this stuff, and their fans have a tendency to overconflate things because they want to defend the work of the authors they like

The same thing happened with Michael Moorcock around the time that Witcher 2 came out, or around when Witcher 3's advertising campaign was ramping up; Moorcock wasn't familiar with the work of Sapkowski nor aware of its place in Polish sci-fi, but his fans told him "hey this video game series has an albino hero who uses magic and shoots himself up with drugs to be strong enough to fight monsters, they're ripping off Elric" and he went "well that's just TYPICAL" in that deeply Moorcock sort of way

edit: oh... oh this is more than just a tweet then. This post will stay up as a monument to my shame

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What chapter of this game does Ford Lincoln Mercury show up?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It is funny how Kojipro, Rockstar, and Bioware will just rip shit 1:1 and be praised for it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    It is funny how Kojipro, Rockstar, and Bioware will just rip shit 1:1 and be praised for it

Did you ever read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?

Lemme tell you, I'd put down money one of the lead writers at BioWare did

dN0T6ur.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I think that for this reason and others if Hideo Kojima ever releases a film into theaters it will be a huge fuckin egg like wildy panned clear shelf space for the Razzies

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    kojima has always been a way better game director than film director

that was clear even in mgs4, his most "movie-like" game

and with death stranding that's more true than it's ever been

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Kojima is extremely, extremely good at making interesting experiences that, at their absolute best, may broaden a person's horizons by putting them in a really unique, usually very bizarre, headspace.

He ain't a good writer though. To be fair, neither am I or separately from that, most people who write narrative or script for video game stories. But that's mostly because most developers skimp on hiring good writers, or when they do hire them they are put as last priority. (Which is not, like necessarily, a bad decision to make if you're gonna make compromises in a development schedule but it bears saying.)

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Kojima's fantastic at making trailers, it's just anything longer that starts to run into pacing issues.

Whenever KojiPro actually gets around to making a movie, it's going to have a kickass trailer for a mediocre product.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I’m never gonna play this game but I just found out Die-Hardman’s “real” name and lol gtfo

Well lay it on me then

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well lay it on me then
    Hard Die--Man

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    That feels like a lie.

Raijin more like Lie-Badman

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Well lay it on me then
    Hard Die--Man
    Liquid John McClain-Man

Oh brilliant
    Dont you play your farces on me

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The second one, whether intentional or not, was not a joke

his real name is "John Blake McClane"

6F32U1X.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Are you fucking kidding? Because I was!

Oh brilliant
    Mr. G wrote: »

I love it

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The more I think on Death Stranding, the more I become convinced it's just... ok? Fine, I guess?

Like, the best comparison I have is almost to a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game; I do a bunch of side stuff that's engaging but not necessarily compelling for 40-60 hours and in the end durdle to the end of a story that I just can't care about.

This may be partially because of how much the seams start to show on the shared world thing by the end areas, where it's long since become super obvious that participation in roads is almost entirely faked (they always have 40-60% progress with numbers that real players can't dump into them) and that vehicles + ziplines minimize engagement with other player's resources and the game itself, so it became almost robotic and independent of what player structures existed, in contrast to the early areas of the game.

I ate an engineer
    Mr. G wrote: »

Heh heh heh heh

Ohhhh release a movie Kojima I dare you I double dog dare you, coward, do it!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I definitely thought the little flappy guy being blocked was by design, but that's a good change

6F32U1X.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Boy this game sure ends with an interminable gauntlet of """action""" setpieces and dumbshit cutscenes

I just want to get to the post-game and deliver more packages!!!

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    If Hideo Kojima makes a movie, it will just be Immortals

It’ll both look gorgeous and have the dumbest story anyone has ever seen

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The Mules seem like such a silly thing at first

and yet here we all are, hungering to keep delivering those packages for those precious precious likes

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm still slowly going through this game (chapter...8 I think?) but the plot keeps getting stupider and I can't tell if I love it or hate it.

I'm sticking around for the sweet Zip line action though, soaring across the map hasn't gotten old yet.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Mules seem like such a silly thing at first

and yet here we all are, hungering to keep delivering those packages for those precious precious likes

If those fuckers want likes so much they should help me rebuild the damn roads.

Then they’d be drowning in likes.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    @Speed Racer
    Have you been playing the game without using the map or waypoints and just using a compass?

Because that seems like something you'd do.

I was pretty lazy about waypoints, I tended to just kinda try to go in a straight line everywhere and deal with the consequences

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Plastering ads for the show on video game toilets was a stroke of genius, I guess?

I finally got to the end of the game. I had like an hour a night to play so it took me three nights to go through the end scenes and credits.

Kojima really out-Kojima'd himself on this one.

That better have Norman Reedus bath water as an ingredient or I call bullshit.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's kind of funny to see a lot of the conversation here petered out especially considering, in my opinion, the absolute coolness of King of the Dads Mads' and his ghost warriors.:V

Also kind of telling that apparently conversation of this game stopped just prior to COVID-19. Which, like it or not, an isolated world of disconnected people trying to find something to live for in a disconnected, radicalized America Kojima correctly predicted. Again.

death-stranding-tgs-2019-poster-1200x900.jpg

Really enjoyed Kojima's optimistic existential story time road trip game. The multiplayer aspect of the game leans hard on the Dark Souls ideas of, "The world may be a terrible place, but also beautiful and we can still help each other." Which for me hits a lot harder post-COVID.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm mostly surprised it's been out for almost a year on PC and there are basically no mods for it at all. Either it's really difficult to modify or not enough people care to.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Credit song also hit me like a freight train.
    Let’s make a toast to the damned
    Waiting for tomorrow
    When we’re played out by the band
    Drowning out our sorrows
    What will become of us now, at the end of time?
    We’ll be fine, you and I

Let’s draw a line in the sand
    Keep it straight and narrow
    We had it all in our hands
    We begged and then we borrowed
    What will become of us all at the end of love?
    When we’ve stopped looking up?

CHORUS

You can take my heart
    Hold it together as we fall apart
    Maybe together we can make a spark in the stars we embark
    And keep us together as the lights go dark

VERSE 2

Let’s tell the truth, just for once
    Asking for an answer
    Now that it’s all said and done
    Nothing really matters
    What will become of us all if we dare to dream?
    At the end of the scene?

VERSE 3

Let’s open up to the sky
    Ask it for closure
    ‘Least we can say that we tried
    But it’s never really over
    What will become of us all, at the end of the line?
    Will we live? Will we die?

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny to see a lot of the conversation here petered out especially considering, in my opinion, the absolute coolness of King of the Dads Mads' and his ghost warriors.:V

Also kind of telling that apparently conversation of this game stopped just prior to COVID-19. Which, like it or not, an isolated world of disconnected people trying to find something to live for in a disconnected, radicalized America Kojima correctly predicted. Again.

death-stranding-tgs-2019-poster-1200x900.jpg

Really enjoyed Kojima's optimistic existential story time road trip game. The multiplayer aspect of the game leans hard on the Dark Souls ideas of, "The world may be a terrible place, but also beautiful and we can still help each other." Which for me hits a lot harder post-COVID.

I think a lot of people asked themselves why they should pay $60 to live through COVID twice

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.