Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Anime] Thread S2E9: Crwth is Doing His Taxes in Another World?! part 2/3 SUB ENG

2456713

Posts

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Look, there's too much filler in the thread to really catch up anyway. Just watch the abridged version or grab the original manga.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    Andy Joe
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Periodic shonen jump post update:

    This week's table of contents:

    ACT-AGE (Cover & Lead Color Page)
    Kimetsu no Yaiba
    One Piece
    We Never Learn (Color Page)
    Jujutsu Kaisen
    Haikyu!!
    Dr. STONE
    Black Clover
    Mato Seihei no Slave (Special Jump+ manga Chapter, Color Page)
    The Promised Neverland
    Chainsaw Man
    Mission: Yozakura Family
    Shirosugi! Akunontsuki (Gag One-Shot)
    Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
    Mitama Security: Spirit Busters
    Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru
    Yui Kamio Lets Loose
    Double Taisei
    Beast Children
    Tokyo Shinobi Squad
    Dr. STONE reboot: Byakuya

    Main takeaways: Tokyo Shinobi Squad, Beast Children, and Double Taisei have been basement dwellers for months, and are basically guaranteed cancellations. Mission: Yozakura Family is doing decently well for a new series - not top of the pack, but not in the bottom, either, which fits my personal opinion about it - it just kinda seems to lack direction right now. Mitama Security is doing a bit worse, but is buoyed by the stuff below it so it'll probably make it a few cycles. Samurai 8 continues to do quite badly given how strongly they initially pushed it. Kishimoto may end up being a one hit wonder?

    For those that missed it, Dr. Stone Reboot: Byakuya is a more long-form miniseries (probably expecting it to go a volume or two) which is filling in more details of the astronauts who came down. It's written/drawn by the crew doing the main series, so if you're following the series, check it out. I know nothing about Shirosugi! Akunontsuki. Mato Seihei no Slave is by the person who made Akame ga Kill and is basically porn so let's not talk about it here. Jujutsu Kaisen's volume sales are kinda absurd, so expect an anime announcement shortly for that (and possibly the next big shonen break-out anime, at that, so keep an eye on THAT, too). I will continue to extol the virtues of Act-Age, and hopefully Viz gets the back catalogue translated sometime soon.

    BahamutZERO
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    KnY over One Piece? Wow.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    KnY over One Piece? Wow.

    It happens. Not super frequently, but it happens.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    KnY over One Piece? Wow.

    It happens. Not super frequently, but it happens.

    KnY has been top tier lately, so I'm not surprised, but One Piece is usually 1 when it's not on hiatus or the lead color.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Dr. STONE reboot: Byakuya

    I have not paid any attention to this series but I'm amused by a series and its "reboot" running at the same time in the same issue when thinking about it from the point of view of the word "reboot" when applied to Western media franchises. I assume it's just a side story or fun alternate-universe take on the main series, though.

    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also, re: volume sales and probable upcoming animes, here's Jujutsu Kaisen and Act-Age's volume sales relative to Dr. Stone's and KnY's
    639rw15.png

    Dkvgib3UYAAByvY.jpg:large

    So Jujutsu Kaisen is already doing what most other series do AFTER getting an anime. I really need to go back and revisit it - I fell off the wagon in the teens chapters, give or take.

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Dr. STONE reboot: Byakuya

    I have not paid any attention to this series but I'm amused by a series and its "reboot" running at the same time in the same issue when thinking about it from the point of view of the word "reboot" when applied to Western media franchises. I assume it's just a side story or fun alternate-universe take on the main series, though.

    It's basically taking a two-chapter flashback from earlier in the manga and fleshing it out as a complete sidestory/backstory.
    Right now there appears to be one thing which may end up being plot-relevant to the main series, potentially. We'll see

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    so how often does JUMP come out anyway? the releases seem all over the place sometimes.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    Anyone know if funimation’s fixed the subs on the latest stars align yet?

    I’m really really enjoying that show but when I tried to watch last night the subs are about 5 seconds off from what’s happening on screen.

    Stars may align but the subs do not.

    rhylith on
    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    so how often does JUMP come out anyway? the releases seem all over the place sometimes.

    Jump releases weekly, aside from a couple weeks when it doesn't release but has a "double issue" the prior week.

    Official magazine releases are Monday in Japan. Digital release happens Sunday in the rest of the world, coinciding with that time. In order to get them out to all the stores all over the country by Monday, printing happens earlier. Some copies "fall off the back of trucks" (read: are stolen somewhere in the production pipeline, are scanned, and passed around. Sometimes money is involved from larger scanning groups), which is where scanlations come from. We kinda pretend they don't exist here.

    Oh right, it wasn't mentioned above table of contents, but a prequel chapter for Shokugeki no Soma was released too (it's already in the Viz app). It's....fine, I guess. It's about how he got his knife as a kid. Probably just something to pad out the size to fill a complete final volume.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Found a new manga yesterday that I read through, since there were only about fifteen chapters. Basic premise is isekai of a bus full of students, some person called a sage gives them abilities after murdering the adults, and basically tells them to produce a sage-level candidate from the group or bad things happen. She then locks everyone in a barrier and tells them to escape a dragon for their first mission. The classmates with powers choose to abandon the ones without and use them as bait to keep the dragon busy. Lovely bunch.
    Our hero is a guy who is constantly sleeping and possesses the ability to kill anything he wants just by commanding it to die.

    Wait hold on a second! What if I said this was not a power granted to him by the sage but is something he's always had and he might actually be some eldritch force of nature that has willingly contained itself in a human shell? Also that he only kills people who target him with lethal intent.

    This sounds like a revenge type dark edgy story at first but he actually couldn't care less about holding a grudge. His only goal is returning home. Meanwhile he attracts the attention of the sages, who are amoral administrators of the world, along with Aggressors, or rather beings from other worlds. It also explains how Japanese people are pretty common in the world due to isekai but also goes into how people don't generally like them because they have powers and no regard for the law, which I found interesting to see a societal reaction.

    There's only fifteen chapters so far but it seems relatively decent. The most recent reveals especially with how at least two of the classmates are with Earth governments keeping an eye on the protagonist and remarking how he broke his first seal, which he placed upon himself for unknown reasons, along with speculation on what he truly is.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    cB557
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    Kana wrote: »

    It's all about just like love for the game and pure competitive spirit, and that gives actually interesting character motivations. Especially when the lead is female. Like how many other shows - not even anime, just like shows, period - can you think of which is all about a girl who's motivated by competition?
    Yeah Chihaya is an extremely unique female lead. It is kind of a thing among (good) shoujo to have female leads who are extremely passionate about something and want to achieve some sort of goal. So, y'know, the trend is there.

    Gundi on
    mysticjuicerReynolds
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Found a new manga yesterday that I read through, since there were only about fifteen chapters. Basic premise is isekai of a bus full of students, some person called a sage gives them abilities after murdering the adults, and basically tells them to produce a sage-level candidate from the group or bad things happen. She then locks everyone in a barrier and tells them to escape a dragon for their first mission. The classmates with powers choose to abandon the ones without and use them as bait to keep the dragon busy. Lovely bunch.
    Our hero is a guy who is constantly sleeping and possesses the ability to kill anything he wants just by commanding it to die.

    Wait hold on a second! What if I said this was not a power granted to him by the sage but is something he's always had and he might actually be some eldritch force of nature that has willingly contained itself in a human shell? Also that he only kills people who target him with lethal intent.

    This sounds like a revenge type dark edgy story at first but he actually couldn't care less about holding a grudge. His only goal is returning home. Meanwhile he attracts the attention of the sages, who are amoral administrators of the world, along with Aggressors, or rather beings from other worlds. It also explains how Japanese people are pretty common in the world due to isekai but also goes into how people don't generally like them because they have powers and no regard for the law, which I found interesting to see a societal reaction.

    There's only fifteen chapters so far but it seems relatively decent. The most recent reveals especially with how at least two of the classmates are with Earth governments keeping an eye on the protagonist and remarking how he broke his first seal, which he placed upon himself for unknown reasons, along with speculation on what he truly is.

    You can't post an interesting premise like that without including a name!

    silence1186Reynolds
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Even electronic brain pancake crystal elderly.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Found a new manga yesterday that I read through, since there were only about fifteen chapters. Basic premise is isekai of a bus full of students, some person called a sage gives them abilities after murdering the adults, and basically tells them to produce a sage-level candidate from the group or bad things happen. She then locks everyone in a barrier and tells them to escape a dragon for their first mission. The classmates with powers choose to abandon the ones without and use them as bait to keep the dragon busy. Lovely bunch.
    Our hero is a guy who is constantly sleeping and possesses the ability to kill anything he wants just by commanding it to die.

    Wait hold on a second! What if I said this was not a power granted to him by the sage but is something he's always had and he might actually be some eldritch force of nature that has willingly contained itself in a human shell? Also that he only kills people who target him with lethal intent.

    This sounds like a revenge type dark edgy story at first but he actually couldn't care less about holding a grudge. His only goal is returning home. Meanwhile he attracts the attention of the sages, who are amoral administrators of the world, along with Aggressors, or rather beings from other worlds. It also explains how Japanese people are pretty common in the world due to isekai but also goes into how people don't generally like them because they have powers and no regard for the law, which I found interesting to see a societal reaction.

    There's only fifteen chapters so far but it seems relatively decent. The most recent reveals especially with how at least two of the classmates are with Earth governments keeping an eye on the protagonist and remarking how he broke his first seal, which he placed upon himself for unknown reasons, along with speculation on what he truly is.

    You can't post an interesting premise like that without including a name!

    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/instant-death/

    Here's the web novel, not sure what the Japanese name is to find the manga though.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • simulacrumsimulacrum Call me Remi Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    Watch legend of the galactic heroes
    Watch houseki no kuni
    Watch hxh

    simulacrum on
    NeveronErlec
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    I think the best-drawn comedy manga of recent times I've found atm is Mieruko-chan.
    However, the horrible supernatural creatures are often so disturbingly realized that I could see some people just not being able to stomach the series.

    l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    The thing I always really liked about chihayafuru is that it's about a game no one cares about

    Like, most manga/anime based around some other game are extremely "Hey kids, you know what the COOLEST GAME IN THE WORLD is???"

    It's sort of like how world-ending threats inevitably make RPG motivations boring, because yeah, of course you're gonna fight if the alternative is nothingness.

    And like, of course you're gonna play yu-gi-oh, it's the most important game in the entire world and if you're bad at it you literally might die from your own uncoolness.

    Point being, it's great to have a series like Chihayafuru where they're spending enormous amounts of energy and time all for an activity that will give them no real reward and nobody else outside of their small competitive circle gives a fuck about.

    It's all about just like love for the game and pure competitive spirit, and that gives actually interesting character motivations. Especially when the lead is female. Like how many other shows - not even anime, just like shows, period - can you think of which is all about a girl who's motivated by competition?

    Also, how unbelievably rare is it to have a co-ed sports show?! Where the gaze isn't horny?!

    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring Yomi tournament commentary and tutorials!
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Poll for new thread. Best Lupin III opening:











    I'm probably missing some, but the old ones are impossible to find animated on youtube, sadly.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    lupin the 3rd part 2 and its derivatives are easily the best theme
    I like this arrangement

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I really need to actually learn Japanese someday.

    Like with an actual effort, unlike last time .

    Especially since some of the the original Japanese blu rays (With no subs) have osts.

    In related news, I can confirm volume 3 of demon slayer doesn’t come with volume 3 of the ost. That ended up being in the volume 4 of the blu ray.

    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This is all well and good but is Peter Pan an isekai

    Andy Joe
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    no because they can easily go back

    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    They go back and forth in later Digimon tho!

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Radius wrote: »
    no because they can easily go back

    I mean so can Kagomi in Inuyasha but that's still an Isekai type.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular


    I've always loved the Lupin 97 Readymade mix

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    They go back and forth in later Digimon tho!

    your point that digimon isn't an isekai is very persuasive

    BahamutZERO.gif
    mysticjuicer
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    digimon is science fantasy

    Andy Joe
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So is Tron.

    steam_sig.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Is gullivers travels an isekai

  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    gullivers travels will become a new genre onto itself

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Is gullivers travels an isekai

    No because it all takes place on our Earth, merely on hitherto unexplored lands.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Munkus BeaverReynolds
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    They go back and forth in later Digimon tho!

    your point that digimon isn't an isekai is very persuasive

    This would also mean that SAO, infamous isekai patient zero, isn't an isekai

    skLsJmt.png
    My YouTube channel! Subscribe for reviews and video editing experiments!
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    gullivers travels is isekai af

    guy gets dropped into another world which has humans he can communicate with and his modern knowledge and perspectives and physical properties are hugely significant in all his dealings in this other world and its conflicts

    i mean sure he "shipwrecks" and wakes up there, and sails "out" from them, but w/e

    he literally visits Laputa (a fortress in the sky) and Japan

    it's anime

    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    BahamutZERO
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    also getting to chihayafuru s3 ep 3
    chihaya beats the (former) second best men's player. wow! also man she is gonna get so incredibly, incredibly hyped up to play a former Queen.

    mysticjuicer
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    gullivers travels is isekai af

    guy gets dropped into another world which has humans he can communicate with and his modern knowledge and perspectives and physical properties are hugely significant in all his dealings in this other world and its conflicts

    i mean sure he "shipwrecks" and wakes up there, and sails "out" from them, but w/e

    he literally visits Laputa (a fortress in the sky) and Japan

    it's anime

    Look forward to all 4 parts get reduced to 13 episodes of bad CG.

    steam_sig.png
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    It's weird to me how often I see 'sutairu' translated as 'style', even in official translations, when it's blatantly being used as 'figure' and the 'style' translation is sorta nonsense.

    It makes me curious about what mistakes are just as common, but I don't recognize what's happening and just move past in ignorance.

    look into the wonderful world of wasei eigo

    it's the same reason why when people in manga talk about mansions and you get shown a condo or something you know the translator just straight up took the katakana at face value

    KamarCouscousIloveslimes
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Red vs. Green had the best Lupin opening that I can remember, but I can't find it on youtube.

  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    They go back and forth in later Digimon tho!

    your point that digimon isn't an isekai is very persuasive

    This would also mean that SAO, infamous isekai patient zero, isn't an isekai

    SAO Season 1 is an isekai because they can't go back and forth. Seasons 2 and onward are normal science fiction because they can.

Sign In or Register to comment.