As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Thread S2E9: Crwth is Doing His Taxes in Another World?! part 2/3 SUB ENG

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

So as a person who reads that, gotta get your prediction for this week.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Been trying the chainsaw man manga but I think this one is a miss for me. It's just a bit too grim, and while I can sorta see what they're going for with the protag, he's not exactly a fun character to follow.

Bofuri is great though, and I kinda love the Devs apparently built an overly complicated system with all sorts of edge cases, because that's a very game designer thing to do

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Been trying the chainsaw man manga but I think this one is a miss for me. It's just a bit too grim, and while I can sorta see what they're going for with the protag, he's not exactly a fun character to follow.

Bofuri is great though, and I kinda love the Devs apparently built an overly complicated system with all sorts of edge cases, because that's a very game designer thing to do

It takes a little bit, but Chainsaw Man is so dumb it becomes kinda amazing.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I was frankly surprised the "evil prank" boss they didn't think it was possible to beat even had a loot table. Because doing something like and getting absolutely nothing would be hilariously true to life.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »

I actually haven't started the manga version of that one yet, but my wife and I started the anime a few days ago. My wife likes the childhood friend but that might just be because of all the focus she gets in the first few episodes (aside from being absent in the very first one), but since we're nowhere near the endgame it'd be hard to make a prediction.

Just as long as it's not his damn sister. She doesn't appear to be a serious candidate in the episodes we've seen, but well...stupid Japanese incest fascination felt the need to include it.

Lars on
  • Options

I actually haven't started the manga version of that one yet, but my wife and I started the anime a few days ago. My wife likes the childhood friend but that might just be because of all the focus she gets in the first few episodes (aside from being absent in the very first one), but since we're nowhere near the endgame it'd be hard to make a prediction.

Just as long as it's not his damn sister. She doesn't appear to be a serious candidate in the episodes we've seen, but well...stupid Japanese incest fascination felt the need to include it.

If memory serves, his sister gets jealous of his giving attention to other girls in the manga, but nothing more than that.

The "joke" one which gets taken too far in that series is his teacher. Mostly because she won every character poll, including pulling like....50% more than everyone else combined in the most recent one. Which makes me think the editors are letting him go "fuck it" and do whatever, which, in turn makes this week's chapter potentially quite interesting. I won't spoil, though.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

If memory serves, his sister gets jealous of his giving attention to other girls in the manga, but nothing more than that.

The "joke" one which gets taken too far in that series is his teacher. Mostly because she won every character poll, including pulling like....50% more than everyone else combined in the most recent one. Which makes me think the editors are letting him go "fuck it" and do whatever, which, in turn makes this week's chapter potentially quite interesting. I won't spoil, though.

wait are we nearing the end? is this a decision chapter?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    It's uh, pretty expensive to read manga legally. I wasn't super thrilled at the 50 dollars I spent on bloom into you volumes.

Def a sometimes hobby heh. There's that subscription service for the shonen jump/viz stuff which is very affordable if you're into that though.

If I can't get it at the library, I probably can't afford to buy all the manga volumes so probably won't buy them.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I do want to buy those fancy copies of Berserk.

• Options
    Mysst wrote: »

Well, they've all taken entrance exams so there's definitely not much runway left regardless.

Massive spoilers
    Every one of 'em has admitted to themselves they're into him, and for the primary three, they all know the others are interested too.

Swimmer girl confessed, we're now morning of the day she's going to Australia, and there's something happening where afternoon flights are cancelled, so she needs to head to the airport right now if she wants to make it.

We just spent like three chapters getting flashbacks to how they met, etc, while he's sorting out his feelings, including going to his dad's grave and getting a vision of his father basically telling him to go for it, but he's wrestling with wanting to support her in her dream, as well.

So it really seems to be driving towards a "I'll wait for you" thing, which would be an ending, but one that's happening without anyone else having confessed, and with the third-introduced person/childhood friend being the other half of the couple, which would be quite abnormal, but at this point nothing else would feel natural after how much they've built this up?.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I was frankly surprised the "evil prank" boss they didn't think it was possible to beat even had a loot table. Because doing something like and getting absolutely nothing would be hilariously true to life.

I get the feeling the devs use a lot of procedural generation or something.

Also hahaha ep 6 of Bofuri
    oh no. The two new girls are going for inverse maple: ALL POINTS IN ATTACK. They accidentally bowed a table out of existence. I'm looking foward to seeing how the other greatshielder goes nuts, given he's in way more fancy armor in the OP

Though honestly, i kinda love the low-level incomtepnece of hte devs - it's funny, rather than frustrating (probably becuase sensibly, the stakes of this are pretty low so far!)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

Well, they've all taken entrance exams so there's definitely not much runway left regardless.

Massive spoilers
    Every one of 'em has admitted to themselves they're into him, and for the primary three, they all know the others are interested too.

Swimmer girl confessed, we're now morning of the day she's going to Australia, and there's something happening where afternoon flights are cancelled, so she needs to head to the airport right now if she wants to make it.

We just spent like three chapters getting flashbacks to how they met, etc, while he's sorting out his feelings, including going to his dad's grave and getting a vision of his father basically telling him to go for it, but he's wrestling with wanting to support her in her dream, as well.

So it really seems to be driving towards a "I'll wait for you" thing, which would be an ending, but one that's happening without anyone else having confessed, and with the third-introduced person/childhood friend being the other half of the couple, which would be quite abnormal, but at this point nothing else would feel natural after how much they've built this up?.
    hmm, hmm, fair, I figured they were gonna just keep dragging it out, cause, you know, manga.

I hope it's uruka!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Massive spoilers

I thought for sure Fumino made the most sense based on the manga as a whole, but the last few chapters veered hard into childhood friend.

I don't have skin in the game like the shipping fandoms, but I do like to guess based on literary tropes and creative design.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm completely not invested, so it's kinda interesting to watch for meta reasons.
    Ogata was interesting because she felt like an alright-written mildly autistic character, but has always felt like an afterthought.

Fumino seems like the one the story originally intended, but was kinda left by the wayside and took too long to develop.

Uruka had always felt doomed from the start just from general tropes.

Asumi actually felt like she had the best chemistry with him, but it was always played for laughs so never had a chance.

And then the teacher got the most attention, and the foundation was actually built to allow it to happen (and the age gap wasn't the worst) if they waited until after college, so I was half expecting the "YOLOFUCKIT" to go there.

It's looking like it's going to Uruka instead, though.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I do want to buy those fancy copies of Berserk.

They are totally worth it.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Latest Spy x Family is up:
    The day is saved, woo! Still another chapter for cleaning up.

Also, someone commented last thread that Twilight is so important that offing him causes a war. Maybe he is, but I think that the terrorist attack that was supposed to kill the visiting Prime Minister may have something to do with it.

And later half of the chapter and likely the next one has Twilight doing cool shit (and beating the snuff out of Keith) for all the people that complained about the lack of that.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    haha, animator for Eizouken talks about how he referenced Drake doing the OP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuFR-12BkTY

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Is anyone else watching this ? It is delightful!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIXy8zngZc

Polaris on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I got bored of it pretty quick

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Bofuri EP 6
    w2UJq00.jpg

I can only suspend my disbelief so much, Bofuri

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really Love You manga is surprisingly good.

I originally thought it'd be really trashy but it was getting good word of mouth.

The general plot is that not everyone gets a soulmate, and when the main guy was born the god that was in charge of filling out the paperwork got distracted while watching Laputa on TV and accidentally put the main guy down for 100 soulmates instead of just 1 like he was supposed to. The catch is that soulmates who don't get their love fulfilled will die. So he resolves to save all 100 by loving them all.

So far he's just met the fourth one. The interesting thing is he's being very upfront about the polyamorous relationship, and he's not the only one that has to work at it, the girls are actually helping too. A recent chapter had the first two girls encouraging the third girl to be more upfront about her desires so she could be happy in the relationship too. The only downside is the main guy hasn't mentioned the part about them dying if he fails to fulfill their love, but otherwise he's working hard to make everyone happy.

Though I'm curious how it will go as more girlfriends get introduced and how far the girls will tolerate the polyamory. I can't imagine all 100 girlfriends will get introduced, so they'll eventually have to do something to prevent the remainder from dying or something.

With several of the big harem/love triangle romcom mangas seemingly coming to an end soon, people were talking up this one and Cuckoo's Fiance as being the next replacements if they survive.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    100 girlfriends official magazine link: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156728562693

E: from the artist's twitter

silence1186 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That's interesting but also a surprisingly grim setup. You said not everybody gets one. Are soulmates rare enough that this doesn't cause a population crisis of people dying at 30 from not finding them?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's interesting but also a surprisingly grim setup. You said not everybody gets one. Are soulmates rare enough that this doesn't cause a population crisis of people dying at 30 from not finding them?

It's okay to not find a soulmate if you don't have one assigned; you will be lucky in other ways in your life. If you do have one assigned, it takes up all the luck you'll ever get in your life, so if you don't realize a relationship with your soulmate, you run out of luck and meet misfortune (death).

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Gotta give it props for coming up with a harem manga premise that's also an existential crisis.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    30, huh?

*crumbles into dust*

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I'm wondering if there will be a girl that he completely fails with and she actually dies, or if he really will manage to save them all to keep things relatively light and fluffy.

I also wonder what the long term plans for the manga are because I can't see more than a dozen girls receiving adequate development, so the rest would have to be near background characters or they figure out some way to save the rest without being with them.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't get why the god can't do something about the mistake they made. They've got the ability to fuck up 100 people's lives through direct control with a whoopsy and can't fix it?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What if the show pivots into waging war on heaven for this garbage step?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    What if the show pivots into waging war on heaven for this garbage step?

Finally, a harem manga I can really get into

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't get why the god can't do something about the mistake they made. They've got the ability to fuck up 100 people's lives through direct control with a whoopsy and can't fix it?

Narrator voice:
    It's a gag manga so don't think too much about it

Peas on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Madican wrote: »

Look man Aqua works hard you can't expect her to keep track of everything all the time and furthermore

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm rather enjoying Somali, mostly because it's nice to see a decent fantasy anime that doesn't feel like an isekai/RPG

like, it's probably* gonna end up being a 7/10 on my MAL rankings but it's a 7 with heart dammit

*(depending on how the climax of the show goes, given the nature of what early episodes establish)

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Ya'll weren't kidding, Promare is really fucking great

• Options
    We finished Season 1 of Kaguya-Sama last night. Really liked it! I got a little misty at the end when
    Shirogane shows up to take Kaguya to the fireworks

And then of course he did the awkward teen thing of "Oh god why did I say that I'm such a fucking dope!" afterward

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    We finished Season 1 of Kaguya-Sama last night. Really liked it! I got a little misty at the end when
    Shirogane shows up to take Kaguya to the fireworks

And then of course he did the awkward teen thing of "Oh god why did I say that I'm such a fucking dope!" afterward
    That whole mini-arc with the fireworks is amazing.

"I can't hear the fireworks" works two ways, one sad, one happy.

• Options
    Also, the bit with Chika in the ramen shop was fantastic. I think I might have seen that before, actually!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Finally watching Made in Abyss.
    There's a scene in episode 6 where Marulk starts a conversation with Reg about how even after being told he was a robot, it was a surprise for her to see his arms extend. Reg replies that it's strange for him too, since he doesn't feel like a robot. We've seen him seem outright uncomfortable with the idea in the past. Then he follows up by saying there's been something he's been curious about as well, and asking Marulk if she's a girl. Then the scene cuts and we don't get to see where they were going with that conversation.
    But where my mind goes with that is, is Marulk trans? Did she and Reg have a conversation offscreen about her dysphoria with gender and his dysphoria with being a robot? If this scene ever comes up again I expect I'll find that I was totally off base, but that idea is really cute to me and if this scene doesn't come up again that's totally going to be my headcanon.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Finally watching Made in Abyss.
    There's a scene in episode 6 where Marulk starts a conversation with Reg about how even after being told he was a robot, it was a surprise for her to see his arms extend. Reg replies that it's strange for him too, since he doesn't feel like a robot. We've seen him seem outright uncomfortable with the idea in the past. Then he follows up by saying there's been something he's been curious about as well, and asking Marulk if she's a girl. Then the scene cuts and we don't get to see where they were going with that conversation.
    But where my mind goes with that is, is Marulk trans? Did she and Reg have a conversation offscreen about her dysphoria with gender and his dysphoria with being a robot? If this scene ever comes up again I expect I'll find that I was totally off base, but that idea is really cute to me and if this scene doesn't come up again that's totally going to be my headcanon.
    I am pretty sure the authorial intent is that Marulk is trans yeah. The dysphoria angle for what they talked about hadn't occurred to me, that's a pretty good idea.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    100 girlfriends official magazine link: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156728562693

E: from the artist's twitter

Finally a story where polyamory is the only moral solution somehow

This discussion has been closed.