As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Thread S2E9: Crwth is Doing His Taxes in Another World?! part 2/3 SUB ENG

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who keeps trying to slot Index/Railgun as a pre-cursor to MHA or no?

sig.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    In Konosuba the side characters get featured more in the spinoff novels. As for when the subject of your spoiler it gets revealed in
    volume 6.

I've bought the first light novel in the main series but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I plan to try and follow the series and spinoffs, though currently I think only the Megumim spinoff has been licensed.

Edit: Also in honor of the 99th page of the anime thread I was going to post a Big O amv I saw like twenty years ago set to the Goldfinger cover of 99 Red Balloons...but I literally can't find it. Huh.

Edit2: Okay, I think I found a download link for it at amv.org so I could theoretically download it and put it on Youtube myself, but that's a lot of work for a little joke and I'm not sure I want to do that with someone else's work even if I properly credit them.

Lars on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    This is your weekly ID: Invaded minute
    This show, while novel, was starting to get a bit uninteresting?

Well it fucking JUMPED OFF THE GODDAMN RAILS this week.

Last week ended with a cliffhanger, with our serial killing great detective protagonist getting into a full on Inception scenario, going inside of a killers “well”, then while inside that well, going inside someone ELSES well.

Which is apparently the past? But not really? But maybe it is? SHIT IS WILD YO.

Yep. Got caught up just now and holy shit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    okay Bofuri is getting truly silly now and I love it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Sorce wrote: »
    Am I the only one who keeps trying to slot Index/Railgun as a pre-cursor to MHA or no?

a certain blankety blank deserves only to be forgotten, I have no idea why it keeps getting new anime seasons
    this is like my hottest anime take I guess

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

Just found out its only 12 episodes. Very sad about this info

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

I sincerely hope it gets more seasons

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Same here.

Started watching In/Specter Enjoying the poor, poor youkai's reactions to everything

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

a certain blankety blank deserves only to be forgotten, I have no idea why it keeps getting new anime seasons

This season of Railgun is my favorite A Certain arc from the three series.

Accelerator series is mostly universally bad, Railgun is mostly good, and Index series varies.

Index the character is the worst.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

This season of Railgun is my favorite A Certain arc from the three series.

Accelerator series is mostly universally bad, Railgun is mostly good, and Index series varies.

Index the character is the worst.
    The amount I give a shit about any given A Certain show is inversely correlated with how many side characters/plots they introduce and if the main character(s) needs to even be there. Like, the most recent season of Index was goddamned horrible, Accelerator was okay-ish, and Railgun seems to be good, but I'm only a handful of episodes in.

sig.gif
  • Options

Same here.

Started watching In/Specter Enjoying the poor, poor youkai's reactions to everything

Yeah I've been told I should check out In/Specter

I think Bofuri has impressed me so much, so quickly, despite being an incredibly silly and ridiculous show, that I kinda just want to see a lot more of it, and for it to develop the characters in some really unique and fun ways.

Just gimme some actual queer relationships between the age-appropriate cast, and keep Kanade as gender ambiguous as possible. Yeah yeah that'd be good.

and if they get any more team members, I pray for someone big and absolutely ripped, but they have like... max magic or something.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I like it because it's so light and fluffy, the game world seems like one i'd actually enjoy, and the devs are such hilarious, utter muppets which...

Yeah, seems about right for game devs honestly (I say this with all the affection for game developers)

and yessss, Kanade needs to stay gender-ambigious. gimme that non-binary representation

I still love Maple Tree's reaction to her new form and the lines about her having abandoned her humanity. They havent even seen her become a gundam yet!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I seriously laughed at the new stuff in this episode, yeah. It's so over the topic but also just perfect.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Tower of God could end up being one of my favorite works of fiction, period, if it can maintain its quality through to the end...

So it's cool that it's getting a decent-looking JP anime and thus boosting its profile significantly, even if I'll likely only check out the cool bits on YouTube (not a big consumer of adaptations).

Kamar on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Yeah, i was laughing all through the latest Bofuri. It's completely ridiculous, but the good kind.

I love how almost all of Maple's abilities codes heavily to evil. They refer to her as a boss as a joke, but look at her.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Please pardon my doing so, but I need to write this out in an attempt to purge some awful feelings, so I hope y'all can indulge me a moment.

I assume most people are familiar with Hiro Mashima, author of Rave Master and Fairy Tail? Known for his characters always pulling through any situation, no matter how dangerous or impossible, with the power of friendship? So much so that it's basically a running joke at this point? He's a very safe, standard shonen author.

His newest series is Eden's Zero, running in the same magazine as Fairy Tail, which features palette swaps of his usual cast, except set IN SPACE!

My issue concerns his most recent chapters, 82-83:
    Things have taken a ridiculous turn towards DARKER and EDGIER, and all the comments I'm seeing are basically "Good for you Mashima, keep up the misery! Have your characters actually suffer forever for once!" or a total lack of faith Mashima will stick to his torture guns and instead undo the protagonists' predicaments with badly written deus ex machina.

Specifics in nested (major) spoiler:
    Both mascot characters (cute robots) sent to scrapyard
    MC's wingman is publicly dismembered in front of the rest of the party
    Villain McBadguy promises Action Girl she'll be a sex slave forever
    Entire support staff of Bridge Bunnies is unconscious and in the hands of sociopathic murders
    Female MC is some kind of living MacGuffin, so she'll be Villain McBadguy's property forever
    As a "favor" to his new pet, Female MC, Villain McBadguy reveals he's kidnapped Female MC's bully, and has had the bully brutally tortured for Female MC's amusement (FeMC was horrified)
    Villain McBadguy straight up murders the Male MC, summarily executing him by shooting him through the face at point blank range. The Narrator even follows up "the next day the story continues, with the MC very much dead."
    Ends with FeMC thoroughly traumatized and sobbing.

There's just ridiculous levels of implied/promised sexual violence; I found myself physically ill after finishing reading it. This has never been this author's jam before, and I'm wondering if it's a reaction to being typecast by his previous safe works? Does he want to prove himself by being as monstrous as possible, especially with how he treats women?

Overall this attitude from fans about making the MCs' suffering be permanent, lasting consequences baffles me, because generally speaking I do not seek out misery in fiction. Living is hard enough; why would you seek to fill the container of your mind with more toxic emotion, when fiction offers the only place where righteousness can be rewarded with prosperity and wickedness can receive appropriate punishment?

I can't stop thinking about it, nor purge this pit of black bile from my stomach. Which, I guess kudos to you author, mission accomplished, I'm painfully addicted to your series, but you've burned through my good will in doing so. I'll be back each week, hoping against hope the trauma is resolved somehow, but dreading that the misery will be piled on, and the happiness forever tainted as bittersweet by lasting trauma.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Please pardon my doing so, but I need to write this out in an attempt to purge some awful feelings, so I hope y'all can indulge me a moment.

I assume most people are familiar with Hiro Mashima, author of Rave Master and Fairy Tail? Known for his characters always pulling through any situation, no matter how dangerous or impossible, with the power of friendship? So much so that it's basically a running joke at this point? He's a very safe, standard shonen author.

His newest series is Eden's Zero, running in the same magazine as Fairy Tail, which features palette swaps of his usual cast, except set IN SPACE!

Things have taken a ridiculous turn towards DARKER and EDGIER, and all the comments I'm seeing are basically "Good for you Mashima, keep up the misery! Have your characters actually suffer forever for once!" or a total lack of faith Mashima will stick to his torture guns and instead undo the protagonists' predicaments with badly written deus ex machina.

Entire support staff of Bridge Bunnies is unconscious and in the hands of sociopathic murders
    Female MC is some kind of living MacGuffin, so she'll be Villain McBadguy's property forever
    As a "favor" to his new pet, Female MC, Villain McBadguy reveals he's kidnapped Female MC's bully, and has had the bully brutally tortured for Female MC's amusement (FeMC was horrified)
    Villain McBadguy straight up murders the Male MC, summarily executing him by shooting him through the face at point blank range. The Narrator even follows up "the next day the story continues, with the MC very much dead."

There's just ridiculous levels of implied/promised sexual violence; I found myself physically ill after finishing reading it. This has never been this author's jam before, and I'm wondering if it's a reaction to being typecast by his previous safe works? Does he want to prove himself by being as monstrous as possible, especially with how he treats women?

Overall this attitude from fans about making the MCs' suffering be permanent, lasting consequences baffles me, because generally speaking I do not seek out misery in fiction. Living is hard enough; why would you seek to fill the container of your mind with more toxic emotion, when fiction offers the only place where righteousness can be rewarded with prosperity and wickedness can receive appropriate punishment?

I can't stop thinking about it, nor purge this pit of black bile from my stomach. Which, I guess kudos to you author, mission accomplished, I'm painfully addicted to your series, but you've burned through my good will in doing so. I'll be back each week, hoping against hope the trauma is resolved somehow, but dreading that the misery will be piled on, and the happiness forever tainted as bittersweet by lasting trauma.

Mashima series are hate-read more than just about anything except certain romcoms *cough cough Kanojo, Okarishimasu cough cough*, so advice about reading the comments online apply doubly to his works.

That said, it only feels a smidge darker than some of the low points he's set characters up in before. Hell, if I think I can probably find just as bad or worse somewhere. Hopefully he resolves it in an interesting way, he's been a better about interesting resolutions with EZ than he was in FT.

Though, I would probably just laugh and shake my head if someone immediately shounen power upped through the end state of the latest chapter. At this point I'm not sure why people who mind that are reading his writing, it's really weird to read something that makes you mad with literally every chapter?

edit: Personally, I have similar feelings about positive vs negative fiction, but as part of that I kind of appreciate heading down into the depths before things turn around.

Kamar on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The art is nice I guess
    Also he's very consistent and insanely productive

I've read that his studio actually have 3 days off per week which is really incredible by japan's standard

Peas on
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Mashima series are hate-read more than just about anything except certain romcoms *cough cough Kanojo, Okarishimasu cough cough*, so advice about reading the comments online apply doubly to his works.

That said, it only feels a smidge darker than some of the low points he's set characters up in before. Hell, if I think I can probably find just as bad or worse somewhere. Hopefully he resolves it in an interesting way, he's been a better about interesting resolutions with EZ than he was in FT.

Though, I would probably just laugh and shake my head if someone immediately shounen power upped through the end state of the latest chapter. At this point I'm not sure why people who mind that are reading his writing, it's really weird to read something that makes you mad with literally every chapter?

edit: Personally, I have similar feelings about positive vs negative fiction, but as part of that I kind of appreciate heading down into the depths before things turn around.

To me this is the point of reading his stuff. He could stand to foreshadow his chars' escapes a bit better rather than relying on deus ex machina, but seeing cool last minute power-ups is supposed to be a selling point for shonen action series. If that makes a reader mad, they're in the wrong genre!

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Well, reading those spoilers has ensured that I will never, ever fucking read that series, or anything else by that creator.

So thanks I guess?

Edit: This maybe comes off harsher than I thought, I'm mostly just kinda :? at the sadly predictable turn of the fucking fairy tail guy deciding that what his work really needs to win over the otaku crowd is to SAO it up with more rape and murder, and of course said crowd is eating it up.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »

To me this is the point of reading his stuff. He could stand to foreshadow his chars' escapes a bit better rather than relying on deus ex machina, but seeing cool last minute power-ups is supposed to be a selling point for shonen action series. If that makes a reader mad, they're in the wrong genre!

True, to a degree.

FT reached a point near self-parody, where the escape via deus ex machina could be considered foreshadowed, because of every prior escape via deus ex machina. That's not great, even as someone who still more or less enjoyed FT for its 'chapter ending of like five different smug villains getting smashed with friendship as all the fights resolve at the same time' value.

Whereas with EZ, I can immediately think of a few threads that suggest how this current situation will be resolved in a satisfying, quasi-predictable way (which is the ideal for foreshadowing, you should be able to get in the right direction but be surprised by the execution OR get it wrong and think 'aw I should have thought of that' for what does happen) while still reinforcing that sort of theme with a lighter hand.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    The art is nice I guess
    Also he's a very consistent and insanely productive

I've read that his studio actually have 3 days off per week which is really incredible by japan's standard

3 days off a week is damn good by American standards. Unless they work 14s or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That all sounds pretty standard for that person's stuff and I don't know how people are still being caught off guard by it.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    The art is nice I guess
    Also he's a very consistent and insanely productive

3 days off a week is damn good by American standards. Unless they work 14s or something.

I can only imagine Mashima is some kind of machine.

He's currently doing one series, writing for a 2nd series with a separate artist, and did a third, 10 chapter short series at the same time.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    That all sounds pretty standard for that person's stuff and I don't know how people are still being caught off guard by it.

Yeah that just sounds like SLIGHTLY edgier fairy tail to me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    It's his switch to digital that made a big impact on his process, IIRC

• Options
    Also I hear japan is cancelling all school for a month, I assume for covid-19 mitigation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

Yeah that just sounds like SLIGHTLY edgier fairy tail to me

Maybe I have a weak stomach, but I've never been physically revolted after a chapter like this.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    If you want to see some really edgy and sick stuff I recommend Bofuri

Peas on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Maybe I stopped reading Fairy Tail too early (after they got stuck in time and returned in the future or something? Or maybe there was a tournament arc right after that? Also it's never too early to stop reading Fairy Tail), but that sounds way worse than anything I remember.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Maybe I stopped reading Fairy Tail too early (after they got stuck in time and returned in the future or something? Or maybe there was a tournament arc right after that? Also it's never too early to stop reading Fairy Tail), but that sounds way worse than anything I remember.

You did, because after a certain point you got things like Female MC being sexually assaulted or threatened with the same, some torture, the Strong Female Warrior constantly ending up nearly naked in battle for Reasons, and more.

And it's just gotten worse in the sequel for Fairy Tail.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Eden's Zero was on my to read list but after reading all this about it I'm going to pass on it entirely.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Maybe everybody looked at Game of Thrones and said, "wow, if you do this kind of stuff you can be ridiculously popular even if you're guaranteed to crap the bed in the finale"

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    宮野真守 Mamoru Miyano「LAST DANCE」MUSIC VIDEO 4:17
    https://youtu.be/7utAfa2SzMU

Official mv for ending song of In/Spectre

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am a decade late but fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood is a pretty good show

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i watched brotherhood on netflix iirc and they only had seasons 1-4 at the time so I was really confused at the end of season 4 how they were going to wrap everything up in like 2 episodes

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i watched brotherhood on netflix iirc and they only had seasons 1-4 at the time so I was really confused at the end of season 4 how they were going to wrap everything up in like 2 episodes

Good news! Netflix/Crunchyroll/Funimation all have all of brotherhood's episodes right now.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    season 5 is when it really pops off, I was only lukewarm on it up to that point

• Options
    apropos of nothing here's an anime opening song I forgot all about for a while for some reason that I just remembered kicks ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2zgWUiMPDc&list=LLYA6T9grErgO1GjyB3Gvi6Q&index=2&t=0s

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.