As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thanksgiving] is but once a year (mostly)

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    How is it that no where on the first page was the mac and cheese brought up? That might be the secret most important part to Thanksgiving. Like on the same level as the turkey.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I...have never seen macaroni and cheese at Thanksgiving. I'm not opposed to it, you understand, it's just never been a thing that happened.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    DouglasDangerXaquinwanderingtzeentchlingShortywebguy20NightDragonTonkkaSorceNaphtaliIloveslimesStiltsFawstLucedesMatev
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Though I have never seen mac and cheese at thanksgiving, I support it 100%

wanderingwebguy20TonkkaSorceKing RiptorDoodmannGONG-00NaphtalisarukunStiltsFawstLucedes
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I do not understand mac and cheese enthusiasm one bit.

Jimothy
    Maybe it's a southern thing? But growing up the idea of having a Thanksgiving without mac and cheese would have been the ravings of a mad man.

tynic wrote: »

pasta and cheese!

and whatever else you want! I enjoy jalapenos and black beans!

or tuna and peas!

but for thanksgiving, I think I'd go with cauliflower

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I like it when it's made well but it rarely is

there's almost never enough cheese

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Brother, you should try mine

I put an unhealthy amount of cheese in

and I made the cheese sauce with bacon drippings

Xaquinwebguy20NightDragonElvenshaeTonkkaGONG-00IloveslimessarukunSlacker71
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Would you by chance have a newsletter?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Xaquin
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I also put bacon in, of course

Or occasionally sauteed portobello mushrooms

NaphtaliOut Of Context
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think my father in law is making me hunt our turkey with him

Elvenshaeskymakai
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've had some amazing Mac and Cheese with Prosciutto in it before. Divine.

Xaquin
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Maybe it's a southern thing? But growing up the idea of having a Thanksgiving without mac and cheese would have been the ravings of a mad man.

I have never had mac and cheese for thanksgiving, ever.

Turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, perogies, kielbasa, cabbage rolls, salad, vegetables, that's the standards for my family. Though... we're Ukrainian-Canadian, so that may explain some things

Oh, and mashed potatoes, too.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Man y'all have been missing out. I just kinda assumed it was a normal Thanksgiving dish everywhere.

I would highly recommend making some homemade mac and cheese for Thanksgiving this year.

One thing when we remodel our kitchen is the installation of double ovens. I do enough baking that man it would be a godsend to have a double stack. Ahhh to dream.

JedocElvenshae
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Going to host my Friendsgiving this Saturday! To be completely honest, in previous years I've been thrilled to host and handle the turkey, but this year I kinda just want to bury myself in a cave and relax for the holidays.

All that being said, I still plan to Rock It.

Going to be making herbed pan-gravy and spiced cranberry-orange sauce too! Cranberry sauce is the easiest thing in the universe to make and (imo) it's soooooo much better homemade. I bought the least-terrible-looking can of turkey gravy at the grocery store in case I need to supplement the pan gravy. I've run out of gravy in previous years so I'm thinking that I can mix this in if it starts to look like there's not enough pan gravy.

ALSOOOOOO I decided to kick my existing roasting pan to the curb...I've always hated it, it's a super cheap graniteware knock-off. I've always cooked without a rack and just sat the turkey on root veggies, but THIS YEAR I decided to buy a high-quality set. I found a super highly-rated $200 Viking roaster-with-lid-and-rack on Amazon that's 50% off...and I bought it! I've been doing a lot of "this is expensive but this is a very high-quality item and it will stay with me for years" purchases over the past two years for my entire apartment and I'm really excited to have something so nice for turkey and chicken-makings.

Never used a covered roaster before but excited to try it out!

webguy20XaquinElvenshaeJedocDisruptedCapitalistIloveslimessarukun
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    When I want pasta and cheese my first thought is pasta salad, not mac n cheese.

Tricolor rotini, pepperoni chunks, black olives, green olives, two types of cheese in chunks, and drizzle a little bit of zesty italian dressing over the lot. Delicious.

Keep us posted! I've never roasted anything in the oven before.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Its almost certianly an American nostalgia thing.

Its a staple kid food and making a good grown up version is considered an achievement

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »

shouldn't it be made to look like a cooked turkey

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    DoodmannXaquinSorceWyvernStiltsNightDragon
    Well, that doesn't sound at all harrowing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    sarukunEtiowsa
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

when I make it I just put actual bacon in it

also some sautéed corn and onions, and a chipotle or two

NaphtaliCaptain Inertia
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    We are doing friendsgiving again this year. We are driving up to Ohio to spend a few days with our friend. We only get to see her once or twice a year. Not sure what food is on the menu. I think we skipped turkey last year since we didn't get up early enough to really cook it. Maybe this year we will do one. Personally the only food related thing that I enjoy about this time of year is eggnog. A local dairy brand sells it and I drink it by the gallon. It is terrible for your health but do fucking delicious.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    We are doing friendsgiving again this year. We are driving up to Ohio to spend a few days with our friend. We only get to see her once or twice a year. Not sure what food is on the menu. I think we skipped turkey last year since we didn't get up early enough to really cook it. Maybe this year we will do one. Personally the only food related thing that I enjoy about this time of year is eggnog. A local dairy brand sells it and I drink it by the gallon. It is terrible for your health but do fucking delicious.

Good eats just had a recipe for a Turcetta that looks really good. Takes a little overnight prep time but it looks pretty good

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

when I make it I just put actual bacon in it

also some sautéed corn and onions, and a chipotle or two

I mean I put the bacon in too

how do you think I got the drippings in the first place??

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Squeeze the bacon.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    3cl1ps3tynicXaquinJedoc
    mmm nothing like a glass of fresh squeezed bacon juice

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I like my bacon juice farmstand style, nice and pulpy.

TheStigTonkkaSlacker71
    Pulp has no place in bacon juice. If I wanted to eat a bacon I'd peel a pig and eat some

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    We're doing something a little wild and getting smoked turkey breasts from a local BBQ place instead of doing our own bird for once, with everyone bringing various sides

I've been tapped for potatoes, so I'm gonna try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcqzDbB-9tI

I'm pretty excited!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    ElvenshaeJedocwebguy20tynicIloveslimesThe Cow KingTonkkaSlacker71
    Turkey hunting is NOT happening

We are dining at a restaurant in the woods and then retreating to the cabin where my wife gets really annoyed because she doesn’t drink and will be stuck with the baby while the rest of us drink some ridiculous scotch provided by my incredibly loaded in-laws

JedocSorceTonkka3cl1ps3Slacker71
    Bring a bottle of Wild Turkey.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    ElvenshaeTallahasseerielXaquinCaptain Inertia3cl1ps3DisruptedCapitalistCarpySorceIloveslimesTonkkaDonovan PuppyfuckerJimothySlacker71
    I’m going to need it to get through more than 3 hours with my in-laws

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    As is tradition in our household, I have been given the MONUMENTALLY IMPORTANT task of assembling our annual "Thanksgiving TV Special TV Marathon" viewing list for the day

The rules, as passed down from year to year:
    • Only shows we've seen (though not necessarily episodes we've seen); this is not a day for discovering new TV shows
    • Must be a Thanksgiving Episode; an Episode Set On Thanksgiving might make the list, but is likely to get cut (see below)
    • The list must be watchable IN FULL on Thanksgiving day (which means it will be extremely far from comprehensive, and will have to prioritize the best episodes)
    • Must be something we can watch via the streaming services we subscribe to, available on YouTube, or something we own on DVD
    I take this task extremely seriously.

Dex Dynamo on
    wanderingXaquinElvenshaeTonkkaJimothySlacker71
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Just made 8 lbs of mashed potatoes.

And I don't know if I'll even be tasked with that duty next week!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    Elvenshaewebguy20Xaquin3cl1ps3BahamutZEROSlacker71
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Just made 8 lbs of mashed potatoes.

And I don't know if I'll even be tasked with that duty next week!

Bless this person.

XaquintzeentchlingCarpyDouglasDangerTonkkasarukun
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I have, for the past few years, missed Thanksgiving because my aunt and uncle had rescheduled to Saturdays for whatever reason. Well it turns out that they have now switched to Fridays, which means that I can go! I have also been told that my presence is requested for actual Thanksgiving at my step sister's house, and yeah, I'm in.

DOUBLE THANKSGIVING FUCK YES.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    JedocShortyXaquinKetarDonovan PuppyfuckertzeentchlingSorceDouglasDanger3cl1ps3Naphtaliwebguy20wanderingElvenshaeAndy JoesarukunHeadCreepsSlacker71FawstpainfulPleasance
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    GETTING MY BRINE ON, WHERE MY BRINE BROTHERS AND SISTERS AT?

We commandeered Thanksgiving (my family's one holiday we actually celebrate) three years ago when we got the house. First year I did Martha Stewart's menu, then I did Alton Brown, but this year I'm doing my main man Kenji Lopez Alt and Serious Eats.

It's a lot more weird than in previous years. I bought a baking steel for the roast, got a new wireless thermometer (Thermoworks Smoke) and am doing a DRY BRINE and not a wet brine.

New frontiers up here.

With about half dozen Heggies Frozen Pizza of various flavors as backup.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    BahamutZERODouglasDangerSorceBucketmanAngelHedgie