As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, I know. Beagle knows too. I don't think that makes criticism irrelevant.

DarkPrimus on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah, I know.

Sure, just wanted to clarify cause I think nowadays when people hear XCom (and see how Phoenix Point looks), they think Enemy Unknown, not Original 90's-PC-Game-ass 90's PC Game XCom.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Beagle also plays X-Com at a level that most don't.

SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Yeah, I know.

Sure, just wanted to clarify cause I think nowadays when people hear XCom (and see how Phoenix Point looks), they think Enemy Unknown, not Original 90's-PC-Game-ass 90's PC Game XCom.

Yeah, but when people are saying about Phoenix Point that "this is the next evolution of XCOM," they are talking about Enemy Unknown, not the Original 90's-PC-Game-ass 90's PC game XCom.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    from playing it a bit phoenix point seems to have a bunch of problems but i'm not sure what the basis for that level of criticism is

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Oh, for those who have encountered the audio bug in Reach on PC, you have to change your audio quality to 32000HZ FM to fix it. Only workaround so far.

What bug is this? I'm wondering if there is an issue with my SFX. Music plays amazing and sounds phenomenal, but the in game effects are pretty subdued I guess.

Enjoying getting back into this, played a BTB then a bunch of firefight with a friend. Looks great, other then floors. Didn't hit me how much better the floors are in games now.

Seems related to the music, that was very blown out and wonky during Winter Contingency. But I also had it happen once in multiplayer just with audio in general.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know.

Yeah, but when people are saying about Phoenix Point that "this is the next evolution of XCOM," they are talking about Enemy Unknown, not the Original 90's-PC-Game-ass 90's PC game XCom.

Right, but I think people should set themselves a certain level of expectation for jank and obfuscation with this game based on the old ones.

LxX6eco.jpg
    Yeah, I know.

Right, but I think people should set themselves a certain level of expectation for jank and obfuscation with this game based on the old ones.

Alternatively... the 90s were 20 years ago, game design has continued to evolve since then, and people shouldn't get a free pass because they made a well-regarded game before.

Yeah, I know.

Alternatively... the 90s were 20 years ago, game design has continued to evolve since then, and people shouldn't get a free pass because they made a well-regarded game before.

Oh for sure, I'm not saying the game should be forgiven all sins.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Consider how much time and knowledge Beagle has over a game with incredibly obtuse mechanics presented to you through an inscrutable user interface (even OpenXcom can only do so much), and he's ripping Phoenix Point over these criticisms?

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuch.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i mean suffice to say that i think people are very optimistic about how much they've owned someone in an argument compared to how often someone has actually been owned

I just want to say

it's very important for me to believe that i have NEVER been owned and that I will NEVER be owned on the internet (because I have not been, this is a fact)

if you ever see me in a conversation where there's a potential for me to be owned, please respond with a comment saying that i WAS NOT owned, so as to re-affirm that I have never been owned online, not even once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVO_kJKJ_zM&list=PLrnqCKRimpdd9uRRLsg-geZHLbNpUXIE0
    Take on the role of Nora Harwood, member of Everreach’s Security Division, on a mission to secure the colonization process of Eden and investigate mysterious incidents! Everreach: Project Eden is a fast-paced, story-driven action-RPG set on the visually stunning Planet Eden.
    Dec 4 - Everreach: Project Eden (RPG, Action, Sci-fi, Story Rich, Space)

With the fate of the world uncertain, follow the journey of Urpina, Taria, Balmaint, and Leonard as they call on their might and set out to carve a new future. Take charge and shape your own adventure with ultimate freedom of choice.
    Dec 3 - SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS (JRPG, Squenix)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i mean suffice to say that i think people are very optimistic about how much they've owned someone in an argument compared to how often someone has actually been owned

I just want to say

it's very important for me to believe that i have NEVER been owned and that I will NEVER be owned on the internet (because I have not been, this is a fact)

if you ever see me in a conversation where there's a potential for me to be owned, please respond with a comment saying that i WAS NOT owned, so as to re-affirm that I have never been owned online, not even once

Can somebody post one of the hilarious edits of the pic of Rolo riding the bronze bull statue from back in like 2010 in here please? I didn't save any of the good stuff from that thread myself, and I really ought to have.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Everreach is a really awkward looking name

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    from playing it a bit phoenix point seems to have a bunch of problems but i'm not sure what the basis for that level of criticism is

I was in the stream last night and the issues he had with it will be going onto youtube, he says, but a brief summary is:
    When you're going into controlled-fire mode, line of sight is very fucky. As you move your character your FOV changes, but you don't "lean" out of cover to take shots you'd think are viable, and you cannot undo a move if you move into a spot you think will have a good shot and then the shot isn't there. There is no way to see what your controlled-fire FOV will be until you lock in the move.
    Some terrain is destructible, but the game does a very poor job of showing which terrain is destructible, which terrain is damagable, and which terrain is indestructible. You can move your guy behind a concrete-ass barrier that takes one bullet and gets destroyed, leaving you potentially out a soldier, even though that concrete-ass barrier looks identical to the one that cannot even be damaged.
    These are all choices the developers made. These kinds of things had to have been known quantities, but the cost and/or time necessary to fix them would have pushed them past their release deadline, so they couldn't be fixed. That'd all be fine, but they made the decision to make sure the game launched with day 1 DLC. Whether that's cut content from the main game they decided to gate behind a paywall or whether they shunted work to get that done instead of fixing a couple obvious holes in core gameplay mechanics is impossible to know for sure, but it's kind of damning.

the next exciting entry into the Bad Rats universe

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular

the next exciting entry into the Bad Rats universe

Yaaasssssss

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Apparently cover images of the coming RE remake (R3make?) have leaked:
    y8g5dygh92qv.png

I'm a little bummed that they didn't get Julia Voth for Jill's face, I would have liked the continuity with REmake.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shoulda called it Resident Threevil

Moriveth wrote: »
    Shoulda called it Resident Threevil

dagY6aR.jpg

https://www.whompcomic.com/

Dec 3 - Tools up! (couch co-op, funny, multiplayer, party)

oops, I missed this one yesterday

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

Being added to PC Game pass: some demon pinball?

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I think that some people view modern XCOM as unambiguously a step forward for the series, which may color perception of PP in a way that I might not necessarily agree with as someone who thinks that the new XCOM games are at best a sidestep (With maybe a little bit of backward motion as XCOM 2 falls entirely on its ass)

I don't know PP one way or the other, it's just something I was thinking over due to those tweets and the idea that it is a step backward from XCOM

Maddoc on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Aww hell yeah, Frog Detective 2 in five days.

q3kQYfj.jpg

baba is you has gotten out of control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0NR1kmMUo
    After @mattar0d built cellular automaton rule 110 in Baba Is You, I thought I'd try Game of Life. It's been done before but I wanted to build one that (a) is fairly intuitive to understand, and (b) theoretically works as a real Baba Is You level.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Baba Is Anarchy
    Is
    Win

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    So how long until someone ports Doom to a baba is you level

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Babadew Valley

PARSNIP is WILT

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    GUTS is RIP and TEAR

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Wolfenstein: The Old Babalood

HITLER is MECHA

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Day fucking one, I'm there

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    q3kQYfj.jpg

After @mattar0d built cellular automaton rule 110 in Baba Is You, I thought I'd try Game of Life. It's been done before but I wanted to build one that (a) is fairly intuitive to understand, and (b) theoretically works as a real Baba Is You level.

I love how the moment any game with a reasonably complex rules engine is a released, somewhere a computer scientist is already figuring out how to build a Turing complete system out of it.

steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I misread that as "Frog Fractions 2" and was like "haha bullshit that doesn't exit".

Just in case you were wondering how colonized my brain is by Internet memes.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    but frog fractions 2 does exist??????????

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Glittermitten grove deserves a full release

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    but frog fractions 2 does exist??????????
    Nope.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    q3kQYfj.jpg

I love how the moment any game with a reasonably complex rules engine is a released, somewhere a computer scientist is already figuring out how to build a Turing complete system out of it.

I have never felt stupider than when I was trying to play Baba is you. Something about it just didn’t click with my brain.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Frog Factions 2 was bad once you got to the actual game but the fairy princess joke game owned

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    q3kQYfj.jpg

I have never felt stupider than when I was trying to play Baba is you. Something about it just didn’t click with my brain.

First level: "Oh."

Next ten levels: "Oh!"

Anything beyond that: "Oh... oh no..."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Dec 3 - Tools up! (couch co-op, funny, multiplayer, party)

oops, I missed this one yesterday

this sings to me

This discussion has been closed.