As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tarkov Update:

The devs have been making almost daily tweaks to things. Today they did something like quadruple the multiplier on loot spawning in the world because I'm finding stuff everywhere!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

McQuaid was probably best known for his stewardship of the original EverQuest MMORPG at SOE, though of course after his tenure at SOE he went on to found Sigil Games and the much-loved but ill-fated Vanguard MMO. Most recently, he founded and helmed Visionary Realms, which in the last few years has been hard at work on a new and heavily anticipated MMORPG called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    *furious internet searching* ... oh the main person behind everquest I guess? can't say I knew of him but rest in peace

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I bought the classic Doom bundle that was on sale during the weekend. This is my first time playing Doom beyond the first two levels. Doom is pretty good!

DOOM was at one point installed on more p.c.s than Windows. More people had DOOM than had the world's most popular and successful operating system!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Bikeman starting his Shenmue III run if you want to see how bad it is it in action.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I eagerly await SuperGreatFriends LP

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So this is everything I played released this year for at least a couple of hours, in order from best to lest.

Outer Wilds
    RE2
    Judgment
    Disco Elysium
    Control
    Bloodstaind
    Satisfactory
    Hades
    Outer Worlds
    Oxygen Not
    Gears
    Children of Morta
    Slay the Spire
    Valfaris
    DMCV
    Division 2
    Apex
    Mk
    A Short Hike
    Sunless Skies
    Supraland
    Hypnospace
    COD: Modern Warfare
    Sayonara Wild Hearts
    ISLANDERS
    Eastshade
    Astroneer
    Void Bastards
    Sekiro
    Ape Out
    My Time at Portia
    Death Stranding
    Days gone
    Rage 2
    Metro Exodus
    Borderlands 3
    A Plague Tale
    Trials Rising
    Wolfenstein
    Crackdown 3
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Anthem

A lot of the stuff towards the bottom of my list are games that I recognize as good, quality products that I just didn't click with, like Sekiro, A Plague Tale or Metro Exodus. Death Stranding is just...I like a lot of it but there's SO MUCH that I loathe about it.

Is Anthem the worst game of the year? Probably not but it's the most depressing. Jason Schrier's article paints the exact reasons it is and it sucks that Bioware hasn't evolved for the better.

I would say everything above Wolfenstein is an ok game with at least some merits to reccomnded it.

Outer Wilds blew me away, I loved it. The music, the vibe, the exploration, the look, the experience. It has one of the best endings in all of games and it launched itself into my personal top 10 of all time, one of only two games from this generation to do so. I still listen to the music weekly, the calming early stuff and that big swell of excitement during the final run.

A few might shift around; I need to play more Disco and I'm quite enjoying Remnant at the moment. Valfaris and Morta need some more time spent in, too. And I'm getting a Switch for Xmas so I'll have some time needed to be spent in Luigi's and Fire Emblem. And if Satisfactory and Hades had their full releases, they would probably be higher but I didn't want to burn myself out on ea games.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I don't even know if I played ten games this year, let's see, in order of most enjoyment:

Disco Elsyium
    Control
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Resident Evil 2
    Final Fantasy: Shadowbringers
    Destiny 2: Shadowkeep
    River City Girls
    Mortal Kombat 11
    The New Pokemon Seems Alright
    Outer Worlds seems good but I've only put like two hours into it

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I played games this year but very few that were from this year. Though, actually let me check my cupboard. Yeah, most of them were Switch stuff. Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit. Then there's stuff like Fate Extella Link on PS4 and Zanki Zero on PC, but I didn't play either very much? It's been a bad year for me actually playing games.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The only part of the game awards that I legitimately enjoy are the industry icon parts.

Like remember when they had that section on Roberta and Ken Williams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NMpK2Rnks

That was really cool!

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I wonder if Ken still has that 80s 'stash?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Slay the Spire for me. It was pretty much the only game I brought with me on my last deployment. Being home now with all these new games to check out, I’m still booting up StS.

And I’ll always have a spot for destiny. Doom 2016 is the only game for me that comes close to how good the shooting feels in destiny.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Started playing Vampyr. I seem to remember someone suggesting a house rule about eating a certain number of people to level up? Not that I even know how to eat people yet.

Really hope Johnny boy finds a clean shirt soon. He looks gross.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Best Game About Conveyor Belts: Satisfactory

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My game of the year is still Plants Vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville. I love these fucking games. I just wish I had someone to play them with; the PVE Bounty Hunts are way too hard for me.

my plants are so god damn cute it's criminal

after that it's just a bunch of roguelike and survival crafting games; anything I can get with fun gameplay but no story.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ok maybe I'm being really dumb here but how do you use your gun in Vampyr? And how do I switch between the three weapons I have for my main hand? According to the control scheme I have a button that should cycle through them but it does nothing.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Ok maybe I'm being really dumb here but how do you use your gun in Vampyr? And how do I switch between the three weapons I have for my main hand? According to the control scheme I have a button that should cycle through them but it does nothing.

I remember this being a little wonky. I think you have 2 weapon sets. A weapon set can either be a main+offhand, or a 2-hander. For the majority of the game I had scalpel+stake, and something+gun.

• Options
    Yeah I get that. In my inventory I have 3 weapons under Main Hand, 1 under Off Hand, none under Two Hand, and 1 under Firearms. I can't figure out how to change between the 3 weapons in my main hand, or how to use the gun.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    You can have two main hand and two off hand weapons equipped at a time, there's an equipment menu (which is different from the item menu, where I think you currently are) that should let you choose which two each of those are. Firearms are equipped as off hand weapons, so you should be able to set that there.

If you're playing with a controller, you use the D-pad to switch between your equipped weapons, if I recall correctly, pressing left on the D-pad switches between the two main weapons and pressing right switches between the off hand weapons.

Two handed weapons presumably fuck this whole thing up, I never used them because I loved scalpeling folks too much.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Damn. RIP Brad.

I wonder if Brad ever predicted that EQ would survive him.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Started playing Vampyr. I seem to remember someone suggesting a house rule about eating a certain number of people to level up? Not that I even know how to eat people yet.

Really hope Johnny boy finds a clean shirt soon. He looks gross.

The house rule that I know Tube has suggested is that you need to eat a person in order to rest. Resting is how you spend your experience, and you'll probably level up several times during the process (especially if you're following this house rule).

This rule can be pretty tough to follow early on, to be quite honest - you don't have a lot of options for people to eat until you level up mesmerize, which is directly main story related. Later in the game you'll have your pick of easy victims, but especially because you generally want to complete all of a character's sidequests and secrets before you bite down, those first areas might be a bit rough.

Also note that this will bar you from at least one ending to do, because the game was inexplicably made with a pacifist path even though you have to murder hundreds of people in order to do anything in it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My house rule was eat someone every time you want to rest, to force you to engage with that mechanic. It locks you out of the best ending, but gives you the best content.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, one of the best parts of the game is seeing the cascade effect of your decisions, and the only decisions that you can really make that effect people involve murdering their friends and family (this is one of my complaints about the game as well - aside from the main story stuff, non-violent quest resolution doesn't really change anything).

Some of them will be very bad, even if they seem like they should be good, but hey, Jonathan is a piece of shit and maybe he deserves a bad ending.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    I swear I checked every screen repeatedly earlier but I guess I'll look again next time I play. The fact that it's been this difficult to figure out has not left me with a great first impression of the game.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I started up Forgotton Anne last night. I want to like it, I'm amused and intruiged by the messed up world they've introduced. But I'm finding the controls a pain and I'm getting stuck pretty quick on some of their puzzles.
    Going to try and push forward see if it clears up.
    You're in a land where all the forgotten objects end up. Like it opens with a sock lost under a bed disappearing from the real world and materializing screaming and falling into this new one where he's quickly reassured by a bunch of other animate objects and assigned a job in a factory and they all work for/serve and older looking human man. Then someone sets off a bomb at the factory, there are rebels. You play as a human woman who is the Enforcer and tasked with I guess keeping order. You also have a wristband that can drain or imbue things with anima. When teaching you how to use this thing I apparantly killed a scarf. A scarf bursts into your house and tries to come up with an excuse but you're pretty sure he's one of these rebels. So I drained his anima which basically kills him on the spot and a message popped up that it didn;t have to go that way. Whoops. In all your conversations with the various objects in the world they give you dialogue options that are usually split between being friendly or basically yelling I am the Law at them. Most of them are terrified that you're going to drain them. Based on the scarf incident they probably should be. Interestingly enough, the energy you drain from them is the same stuff that powers all the machines in this place, so it's giving some pretty strong "We're the Baddies" vibes right now. Everyone seems to be working under the promise that we're gonna manage to send everyone back to the real world when we finish up some project.

I also recently met an animated magnum hand gun that works security and who's very excited to hear stories about the things I've killed. It's a weird story so far.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah, Forgotton Anne is kind of a slog where I'm at now since it looks pretty clear who the bad guy is.
    When your mentor is saying take any steps necessary because they're just things, not people, then maybe you're not the icon of shining hope.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Every day is the same on the faraway Bento space-lighthouse - until a mysterious radio message breaks through. Evade the past, welcome oblivion, make the perfect Italian coffee. Still There is a psychological adventure game about grief, technical puzzles, wacky AIs and dark humour. How far is far enough?

Nov 20 - Still There (Adventure, Puzzle, Point & Click, Space)

MAKE DRUGS - Program your molecular synthesizer (MOLEK-SYNTEZ) to convert ordinary industrial chemicals like benzene, acetone, and hydrochloric acid into a variety of small molecules with various pharmacological effects.
    Nov 19 - Molek Syntez (Zachlike, simulation, puzzle)

Brolo on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Zach'em up

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Damn it Zachtronics

just looking at those screenshots made me feel like a mouth breathing dope

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Zach it up, Zach it in, let me begin, I came to win, puzzle me, that's a sin

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Zach it up, Zach it in, let me begin, I came to win, puzzle me, that's a sin

goddamn you

• Options
    I wish Zachtronics put their proper games on iPad

That'd be a good way for me to feel like a complete dunce on the go

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Anyone have any idea if Shenmue 3 is any good at this point of time? I didn't play the previous games, just curious due to it's legacy

Peas on
  • Options
    It seems like... another Shenmue? I don't know, I haven't seen much on the actual gameplay but based on what I have seen it looks like another one of those games with slightly better graphics. Which, well, some people are super into those games!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shenmue 3 is a Shenmue-ass game. Everything about it, from the controls, the VO, the animations, looks like it was made 20 years ago, just on UE4.

If you're a Shenmue fan looking for a fucking shenmue then it's probably just about ideal, but I seriously dunno for people who never had any nostalgia for the series.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The problem with making a shenmue game in 2019 is that the yakuza franchise finally got popular

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if Shenmue 3 is any good at this point of time? I didn't play the previous games, just curious due to it's legacy

The snarky answer is no, it's not good, because Shenmue was never good and they just made another of those.

The less snarky answer is that Shenmue is a very acquired taste and they made a game only for people with that taste. If playing an incredibly dated (small) open world, (dated) immersive sim with questionable voice acting, graphics, controls, animations and...EVERYTHING sounds like it worth a shot, take it.

For better or worse, you'd be better off picking up 1 and 2 on the cheap (I think they might be on Gamepass right now?) and if you like them, this one will be another of those.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I watched like 15 minutes of Shenmue 3 on a twitch stream, the village I saw that the streamer was exploring was very pretty. It obviously looked like an older game, but it was very colorful, with a nice skybox, lots of nice flowers, etc.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

why don't you put the whole world in a ball, superman

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.