As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Impeachment] Intel Cmte Report Released (OP-2) | Judiciary Hearings Begin (2019/12/04)

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    They don't read it so they can tell reporters they haven't read it. It gives them plausible deniability and they also can't accidentally let slip how they would feel about it because they don't inform themselves.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Piotyr wrote: »
    CBS News White House Reporter:

Lindsey Graham, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, says he won't read any of the transcripts, and dismissed Sondland's reversal.

"I've written the whole process off ... I think this is a bunch of B.S."

Can't defend it, so we're ignoring it, says the chair of the Senate Judiciary committee.

Is there something that can be done if a potential juror in a trial has made up his mind about the outcome of a trial and ignores evidence? That doesn't sound much like due process.

It's a political process, not a legal one, so Graham could say, "I fully acknowledge that Trump committed fifteen heinous crimes, but I'm voting to acquit, because fuck you, that's why," and there's nothing to be done about it.

Which, reading between the lines, is exactly what most Republicans senators are saying.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Lindsey Graham, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, says he won't read any of the transcripts, and dismissed Sondland's reversal.

Can't defend it, so we're ignoring it, says the chair of the Senate Judiciary committee.

Is there something that can be done if a potential juror in a trial has made up his mind about the outcome of a trial and ignores evidence? That doesn't sound much like due process.

It's a political process, not a legal one, so Graham could say, "I fully acknowledge that Trump committed fifteen heinous crimes, but I'm voting to acquit, because fuck you, that's why," and there's nothing to be done about it.

Which, reading between the lines, is exactly what most Republicans senators are saying.

Exactly. The remedy is for the voters of South Carolina (it’s SC, right?) to make it clear to him that they will vote for a Democrat instead of Graham if this continues. That’s it. That’s the only remedy for a Senate that fails to remove in the face of obvious crimes.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    They don't read it so they can tell reporters they haven't read it. It gives them plausible deniability and they also can't accidentally let slip how they would feel about it because they don't inform themselves.

Of course, that'd fall flat if reporters questioned them properly on WHY they weren't attending/reading the testimony, and asking how they're not abrogating their responsibility to their constituents and their oath.

*thinks*

Yeah, I see the flaw in my reasoning.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Graham also dismissed Sondland as a bureaucrat.

CBSNews reporter:

People who are threatened often deny they were threatened by the person who made the threat when that person can still hurt them.

It is the mob boss saying the shop keeper is saying he was never threatened into paying protection money so obviously the shop keeper wasn't threatened.

Couscous on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Graham also dismissed Sondland as a bureaucrat.

CBSNews reporter:

People who are threatened often deny they were threatened by the person who made the threat when that person can still hurt them.

It is the mob boss saying the shop keeper is saying he was never threatened into paying protection money so obviously the shop keeper wasn't threatened.

Lindsay better watch himself, his denial sounds weak and we all know Trump hates weakness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I don’t know why I didn’t have this thought sooner

Graham is not running for president ever again so no longer needs to pretend to be something he’s not.

He gets a lot of press time and just says and does whatever stupid shit he wants knowing he’ll die in that senate seat without ever facing any accountability

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

Now I’m not sure of the exact wording of the oath Graham took when he entered office, but I’m pretty sure it involved turning up to work and doing his job.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I wish I could tell my boss "Nah, I'm not gonna do my job, it's BS"

Lindsey Graham's boss is Trump.

Lindsay Graham's boss is not Trump, it's his constituents.

The whole reason this whole impeachment is even a contest is because Republicans think Trump is their boss.

Nah, they think Trump's supporters are their boss. And they are basically right.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

They are moving the goal posts after they realize that what they had thought was a defensible position (nobody is stupid enough to literally extort a foreign Ally on tape) meets the reality of Trump's inconceivable idiocy.

Barr's initial op-ed/ memo that was his audition for AG admitted that the President could technically still Obstruct Justice by doing something so ridiculously blatant as shredding documents or suborning perjury. When Mueller discovered that exact thing happened (compelling Cohen to lie to Congress under oath) Barr decided to move his red lines and lie about it.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Buzzfeed Capitol Hill reporter

While Lindsay is still at the 'denial' stage of grieving Rand has move directly to "just make shit up"

I like how he's flat out fishing expedition "he might have done something bad" because reasons? The fuck is this nonesense!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don’t know why I didn’t have this thought sooner

Graham is not running for president ever again so no longer needs to pretend to be something he’s not.

He gets a lot of press time and just says and does whatever stupid shit he wants knowing he’ll die in that senate seat without ever facing any accountability

Graham was just basically put through this routine until it broke his mind

10 Trump does something unacceptable
    20 Lindsay Graham says "That's unacceptable"
    30 Republicans accept it
    40 Narrative moves on and Trump effectively gets away with it
    50 Graham goes "Huh."
    60 Goto 10

Around about the time they realized they were putting an accused rapist on the Supreme Court, Lindsay finally went "fuck it" and decided to go in whole hog as a Trump lackey.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That is the dumbest thing I have heard lately from an elected official who is not Trump.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That is the dumbest thing I have heard lately from an elected official who is not Trump.

Well, either Graham and Paul could very well be the dumbest elected official who is not Gohmert.

I Zimbra wrote: »

Buzzfeed Capitol Hill reporter

While Lindsay is still at the 'denial' stage of grieving Rand has move directly to "just make shit up"

To put this in context, remember that Paul and Graham are both doing their best to suck up to Trump in a competition over who gets to influence his decisions. Especially his foreign policy.

Paul is trying to one-up Graham in Trump's eyes.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Nunes used his entire time to question Sondland to pressure him about the Steele Dossier..

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So this is gonna be their new Benghazi? Biden and Ukraine?

Stabbity_Style.png
    Viskod wrote: »

Nunes used his entire time to question Sondland to pressure him about the Steele Dossier..

Imagine what he'll do with 45 straight minutes.

I pity the people testifying.

shryke wrote: »

Isn't that technically filtered through a lawyer (the same one the dems will be using)

Or am I thinking of something else.

It seems crazy to me that Rand is trying to suggest the whistleblower is connected to Biden, when anytime we look into the Trump admin we find more and more heinous shit.

So what I'm saying is its equally likely Trump/Rand Paul had dirty dealings with Burisma.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    shryke wrote: »

Isn't that technically filtered through a lawyer (the same one the dems will be using)

Or am I thinking of something else.

I believe it can be but does not have to be. And let's be serious, their lawyers will working from the same playbook.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Have the parts of Rand Paul's brain responsible for logical thought been eaten by worms? We won't know until we ask.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    It seems crazy to me that Rand is trying to suggest the whistleblower is connected to Biden, when anytime we look into the Trump admin we find more and more heinous shit.

So what I'm saying is its equally likely Trump/Rand Paul had dirty dealings with Burisma.

I must admit, they have a penchant for shooting themselves in the foot and then reloading

Atomika on
    They have no other defense.

Trump did the crime, released the a memo quoting him doing the crime, said he did the crime while being interviewed on the white house lawn, and we keep getting more and more testimony admitting to that fact.

They can't attack the facts: He did the thing he's being accused of. So they attack the process (It's behind closed doors!), the sources (Whistleblower is in cahoots with biden, all the rest are never trumpers or secret democrats) or the entire concept of the crime (It was quid pro quo, but the "good" kind)

They're just throwing as much shit at the wall, hoping enough of it will stick to allow them to get away with voting no when the time comes.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So this is gonna be their new Benghazi? Biden and Ukraine?

It is kind of remarkable to compare the two investigations. Just how professional this has been while the Benghazi investigation was only missing a big top. That it doesn't matter is dispiriting, but it's still really encouraging to see any competence anywhere in government these days.

moniker on
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Apparently some sort of RNC phone campaign going on. Fairly unsurprising.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/rnc-trying-to-jam-up-dems-phone-lines-with-complaints-about-impeachment-efforts
    The Republican National Committee has been paying for an effort to get thousands of people to call congressional Democrats en masse in an effort to tie up their phone lines with complaints about the impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.

On Tuesday, a RNC spokesperson confirmed to TPM a New York Times report detailing the RNC’s phone campaign, which has led to approximately 11,000 callers flooding almost three dozen congressional Democrats’ offices with complaints.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/rnc-trying-to-jam-up-dems-phone-lines-with-complaints-about-impeachment-efforts
    The Republican National Committee has been paying for an effort to get thousands of people to call congressional Democrats en masse in an effort to tie up their phone lines with complaints about the impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.

On Tuesday, a RNC spokesperson confirmed to TPM a New York Times report detailing the RNC’s phone campaign, which has led to approximately 11,000 callers flooding almost three dozen congressional Democrats’ offices with complaints.

Wait, so they are literally paying protesters?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »

It's always fucking projection. Also way to give the game away idiots? Like why would they listen to your paid protesters if you were trying to make them think you were constituents?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So, remember how Republicans caused a bomb scare by delivering a bunch of empty boxes to Democrats after the impeachment vote, implying that they just fucked themselves over and need to be packing their things? And how Chuck Todd and crowd have crowed about how this impeachment stuff is going to cause Democrats to get crushed at the polls?

Trump went to Kentucky specifically to campaign for Bevin for governor who has been as Trump worshippy as you can get. Kentucky went for Trump by 30.

Bevin just lost to Beshear, a Democrat.

A whole shitload of backroom calculus is no doubt already underway. McConnell especially, who's up for re-election in Kentucky in 2020, is probably scared shitless and can provably not count on Trump to deliver a win for him.

Bonus schadenfreude clip of Trump saying how bad it'd make him look if Bevin lost can be found here.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Ya'll gotta at least read the articles...
    According to the spokesperson, the RNC paid for a phone survey of thousands of voters that asked the participant if they wanted to contact their representative and tell them they opposed impeaching Trump. If the participant said “yes,” they would be connected to the representative’s office.

So, they are not paying people to DDOS Democrats directly.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    So, remember how Republicans caused a bomb scare by delivering a bunch of empty boxes to Democrats after the impeachment vote, implying that they just fucked themselves over and need to be packing their things? And how Chuck Todd and crowd have crowed about how this impeachment stuff is going to cause Democrats to get crushed at the polls?

Trump went to Kentucky specifically to campaign for Bevin for governor who has been as Trump worshippy as you can get. Kentucky went for Trump by 30.

A whole shitload of backroom calculus is no doubt already underway. McConnell especially, who's up for re-election in Kentucky in 2020, is probably scared shitless and can provably not count on Trump to deliver a win for him.

Bonus schadenfreude clip of Trump saying how bad it'd make him look if Bevin lost can be found here.

Do not read too deep into Kentucky. Look at the downstream results. Republicans still overwhelmingly won the state, there's just a LOT of bipartisan hatred for Bevin because of what he did to the state.

Talking heads will try to turn it into something it's not, but remember: all politics is local.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Do not read too deep into Kentucky. Look at the downstream results. Republicans still overwhelmingly won the state, there's just a LOT of bipartisan hatred for Bevin because of what he did to the state.

Talking heads will try to turn it into something it's not, but remember: all politics is local.

There's a lot of bipartisan hatred for McConnell too. I pooh-poohed him losing a few days ago, but if people can come together and realize that Bevin was a fucking disaster that needed to be excised even with Trump supporting him, McConnell has to be worried too.

ztrEPtD.gif
    IIRC, the most recent poll had McConnel up by a single point over his democratic challenger. That poll was like from forever ago though.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

They are moving the goal posts after they realize that what they had thought was a defensible position (nobody is stupid enough to literally extort a foreign Ally on tape) meets the reality of Trump's inconceivable idiocy.

Barr's initial op-ed/ memo that was his audition for AG admitted that the President could technically still Obstruct Justice by doing something so ridiculously blatant as shredding documents or suborning perjury. When Mueller discovered that exact thing happened (compelling Cohen to lie to Congress under oath) Barr decided to move his red lines and lie about it.

Well, in the There's-a-Tweet-For-That Game:

If House D’s refuse to release full transcript of Volker testimony as requested by Congressman Jordan, it will be an abuse of power.
    f this continues, I will call Volker before the Senate Judiciary Committee to testify publicly to ensure the full story is told.

Lindsey Graham is an asshole US Senator.

Brody wrote: »

They won the presidency of the back of this (the Brooks Brothers Riot). Of course they are gonna do it.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Seems pretty big to me, especially since Trump sunk some amount of effort into the stumping for the dude. But I think it's more that this is pretty a major shot across Mitch McConnell's bow. Mitch has already toned down his rhetoric about Trump and impeachment to be as vanilla and non committal as possible, and he's running historically bad approval ratings in the polls.

Trump will just send out a tweet saying Bevin was always a loser and he never liked him anyway, was just doing a favor. But Mitch has gotta be going "oh shit." tonight.

Dark_Side on
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Seems pretty big to me, especially since Trump sunk some amount of effort into the stumping for the dude. But I think it's more that this is pretty a major shot across Mitch McConnell's bow. Mitch has already toned down his rhetoric about Trump and impeachment to be as vanilla and non committal as possible, and he's running historically bad approval ratings in the polls.

Trump will just send out a tweet saying Bevin was always a loser and he never liked him anyway, was just doing a favor. But Mitch has gotta be going "oh shit." tonight.

Yeah Mitch cares about Mitch's own power and seeing a statewide vote going against a disliked republican could be a bit of a "which devil do I dance with" moment.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Have the parts of Rand Paul's brain responsible for logical thought been eaten by worms? We won't know until we ask.

There could be a method to it. The WB offered to answer written questions and any details about their career could help narrow down their identity.

As an eye doctor, Paul is definitely familiar with the technique.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, will be interesting how tonight's results for a few elections will influence the GOP strategy going forward. I'd say signs point towards the GOP might want to think of an exit strategy on the Trump bandwagon before the pubic throws them off a cliff with it. The KY race, where they tried to nationalize on impeachment didn't go in their favor. VA is a bit murkier given a few factors, but there was an attempt by republicans in the state to use Trump to help them and well doesn't seem to have done anything in their favor.

This discussion has been closed.