As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    And it sounds like Brad was in contact with EA about the bugs, so there's not much he could do other than go with his gut and give it the 3/5 it deserves in its current state. Maybe they'll amend it when it's better, or split it into two reviews if the versions differ extremely.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It's likely they'll give it the right amount of love come GOTY if Respawn gets around to fixing it in time.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's very clear it needed more time in the cooker, but I'm fairly positive Disney wanted it released before episode 9 and to coincide with Disney+.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I had a job when I was in my late teens that required me to sign my name upward of a hundred times a shift

Ever since then, my signature is basically just the suggestion of my initials followed by some scribbles

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ben, UPF> "I'm just stalling for time until Rorie comes back, so I don't have to go through this whole (explaining what the game is) spiel all over again. That man needs some chill."

Ah, it's not just me.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    guys after Vinny explaining KH3, I'm not ready for more bad GB takes aka SFV news.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    guys after Vinny explaining KH3, I'm not ready for more bad GB takes aka SFV news.

I thought it was funny. It was a silly explanation for a silly game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I mean, it's just a thing I like and probably I'm more invested than I should be to get affected by what they say. Oh no...have I become a Disco Elysium fan? Guys stop me from sending angry emails to the beastcast.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, it's just a thing I like and probably I'm more invested than I should be to get affected by what they say. Oh no...have I become a Disco Elysium fan? Guys stop me from sending angry emails to the beastcast.

You're not a Disco Elysium fan until you call Abby stupid, incompetent, or a fake gamer.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

You're not a Disco Elysium fan until you call Abby stupid, incompetent, or a fake gamer.

In hindsight, the correction section was a mistake.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    OMG the 'Just Dance' portion of this Stadia QL. My lungs hurt from laughing too hard. :lol:
    This is premium internet CONTENT right here. :lol:

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    OMG the 'Just Dance' portion of this Stadia QL. My lungs hurt from laughing too hard. :lol:

Wow, you weren't kidding. I need some gifs stat.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

This dovetails far too well with the kind of neck beards my own biases told me were likely to be super in to Disco Elysium.

Not that everyone who's in to Disco Elysium is that way, clearly...just what I've seen of the story and context that game was going to appeal to some specific groups in gaming.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Wow, you weren't kidding. I need some gifs stat.
    The fact that he says he needs a phone strap

And then drops his phone....

*chefs kiss*

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Thanks to my daughter, I was well aware of the incoming shitshow that a Just Dance mini QL would turn into. I did not expect that it would be so bad good.

• Options
  • Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's a lockdown, baby.

https://streamable.com/u3f9z

It fits surprisingly well.

Klein on
  • Options
    omg the game awards nominees lol

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

the death stranding/control/resident evil 2 awards

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I mean... in the end it's just one award and I see the merit of giving it to Kojima (also Fukonami) but Control and Re2 are my favorite games of this year lol.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

The thing about Disco Elysium is that in a lot of detective games when you get an option because of a clue you found or a skill you raised, that's the option you should take. In Disco Elysium, it's just an option. Some clues are red herrings and bringing them up to people will make things harder on you. And all of your skills are, well, you wake up having submerged in a cocktail of drugs and alcohol potent enough to wipe out all your episodic memory, and each and every one of those dastards is responsible for putting you there. (Except Volition. Volition's cool.) So while a high Encyclopedia will let you take twenty minutes to explain books to a little girl outside a bookshop, maybe that's not the best use of your time.

The Quick Look was done with the stock Physical build (gets things done but is dumb as a rock), and has way fewer skills chiming in with world information or artistic impressions or statements to push on or understanding people and way more chiming in to prompt you to steal everything, burn everything else, and snort the ashes. If you come in and don't have the background from the devs that your skills are sometimes bad for you, or you don't expect that to start paying off right from the start of the game, Physical is probably the worst of the three. While it comes into its own in terms of world-setting with Shivers later down the line, it doesn't get you the IV of trivia, artsy impressions, and Sherlock crime scene reconstruction that Thinker will, or the conversations with your tie and dual-flashes to Station 41 and your rich inner life that Sensitive will.

If you just buy the game off Steam there's nothing to tell you that. You don't even get the chance to look at all your skills and have them tell you what they're cool for unless you decide to make your own character instead of using a premade. And while there are a few obvious passive failures, there's a giant rainbow of passive successes that you'll just never see unless your build opens them up to you. (For instance, there's a much more feel-good resolution to Garte and Sylvie's little vignette that opens up with a 4 Rhetoric passive and an Empathy check.) It's a weakness in the game that it never makes that clear, that it doesn't break the mask, pull you aside, and say "are you satisfied with what's going on? If not maybe you can restart with this build", but that's not really something you can trust to a computer, especially in a game that's designed to have things you will miss in a first playthrough unless you're one of the sorts who fires up Cheat Engine right out the gate.

In conclusion, Disco Elysium is a land of contrasts.

Glazius on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »

The thing about Disco Elysium is that in a lot of detective games when you get an option because of a clue you found or a skill you raised, that's the option you should take. In Disco Elysium, it's just an option. Some clues are red herrings and bringing them up to people will make things harder on you. And all of your skills are, well, you wake up having submerged in a cocktail of drugs and alcohol potent enough to wipe out all your episodic memory, and each and every one of those dastards is responsible for putting you there. (Except Volition. Volition's cool.) So while a high Encyclopedia will let you take twenty minutes to explain books to a little girl outside a bookshop, maybe that's not the best use of your time.

The Quick Look was done with the stock Physical build (gets things done but is dumb as a rock), and has way fewer skills chiming in with world information or artistic impressions or statements to push on or understanding people and way more chiming in to prompt you to steal everything, burn everything else, and snort the ashes. If you come in and don't have the background from the devs that your skills are sometimes bad for you, or you don't expect that to start paying off right from the start of the game, Physical is probably the worst of the three. While it comes into its own in terms of world-setting with Shivers later down the line, it doesn't get you the IV of trivia, artsy impressions, and Sherlock crime scene reconstruction that Thinker will, or the conversations with your tie and dual-flashes to Station 41 and your rich inner life that Sensitive will.

If you just buy the game off Steam there's nothing to tell you that. You don't even get the chance to look at all your skills and have them tell you what they're cool for unless you decide to make your own character instead of using a premade. And while there are a few obvious passive failures, there's a giant rainbow of passive successes that you'll just never see unless your build opens them up to you. (For instance, there's a much more feel-good resolution to Garte and Sylvie's little vignette that opens up with a 4 Rhetoric passive and an Empathy check.) It's a weakness in the game that it never makes that clear, that it doesn't break the mask, pull you aside, and say "are you satisfied with what's going on? If not maybe you can restart with this build", but that's not really something you can trust to a computer, especially in a game that's designed to have things you will miss in a first playthrough unless you're one of the sorts who fires up Cheat Engine right out the gate.

that sounds cool and all but has nothing to do with how toxic the community is

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Can't wait for someone to use that dance as the next ubisoft E3 banner.

• Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's taking place in the MICROSOFT Arena, hosted by a guy who is in a SONY-exclusive game.

Follow the money.

Also, whoever's doing the art for the nominees really phoned it in on the Zelda tile, huh?
    cwspmr34ncyb.png

Pooch on
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

You say "the community" like people trying to kick a woman off the Internet actually care about the name on the arrows they've been handed. If they thought they could get enough reaction to do that with Garfield Kart, they'd do it with Garfield Kart.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

You say "the community" like people trying to kick a woman off the Internet actually care about the name on the arrows they've been handed. If they thought they could get enough reaction to do that with Garfield Kart, they'd do it with Garfield Kart.

The only toxicity around Disco Elysium that I've seen is from people in this thread. I didn't know I was a bad person for liking this bad person game until I came here.

• Options
    Man, listening to that worst of the 80's playlist Jeff put up on Spotify from worst to best. Woof some of these top songs are hard to get through. Also, I think Centerfield should be higher listening to it now. Man this song sucks.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wow. I haven't been to Giant Bomb since ancient times.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh the game seems fucking great but I've seen a lot of stuff from some people on that community where if you don't like the game....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

The only toxicity around Disco Elysium that I've seen is from people in this thread. I didn't know I was a bad person for liking this bad person game until I came here.

The toxicity we're talking about happened on Giant Bomb, a website about video games, so there's at least one other place it's being discussed. And the issue is less with the game itself and more with how its more rabid followers went after Abby to a frankly unacceptable degree for the terrible crime of forming an opinion about it without having perfect information about its under-the-hood mechanics and branching storytelling style. If you didn't do that, nobody's calling you bad and you don't need to be defensive about liking the game.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

It's the Keighleys, it's not even going to be a contest.

I normally have a lot of fun watching his bromance with Kojima, but Death Stranding has completely sucked the oxygen out of the room for most other games (I'm expecting Control to get shafted for most of these categories).

I'm prepared to resign myself to seeing 2 hours of the show furiously jacking off to Death Stranding over almost all these categories

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I enjoyed death Stranding and there some nominations that it’s due some credit but I hope some other games get a look in. I would like to see Control and Outerworlds to get some praise

We have had a lot of great games again this year. I for one will be interested to see what games get teased during the awards.

Also , HONK!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

It's the Keighleys, it's not even going to be a contest.

I normally have a lot of fun watching his bromance with Kojima, but Death Stranding has completely sucked the oxygen out of the room for most other games (I'm expecting Control to get shafted for most of these categories).

I'm prepared to resign myself to seeing 2 hours of the show furiously jacking off to Death Stranding over almost all these categories

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Jeff is one of the jury members. He would not continue to be part of it if it was just a Keighley masturbation session.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Jeff is one of the jury members. He would not continue to be part of it if it was just a Keighley masturbation session.

Austin Walker as well.

• Options
    Ben's effusive Ring Fit Adventure report has emboldened my prediction that it gets a nod for Best Debut or something like that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I know that my post came off as low-key accusing the show of bias, but I do recognise that even if Geoff was part of the panel he probably would have come out and recused himself from the vote anyway given his active participation in the game.

The rest of my post still stands, however. The discourse around Death Stranding has absolutely throttled discourse around other games and I think Control will probably suffer the most for it

• Options
    I'm glad Jeff was able to refute Brad's point that Half Life 2 was bland and unremarkable in the gaming landscape, even though Jeff himself does not like that game.

I don't love HL2, but I think it's real hard to dispute the idea that it was a wildly popular game that focused on physics weirdness and influenced the medium heavily.

Sounded like a classic case of the "Seinfeld Isn't Funny" TV Tropes page, where the influential game is considered trite and boring by today's standards even though it was the forebearer of gaming innovation at the time.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    All three of them (from this week's Bombcast) are still wrong about ME:A. It was great post-patch, but none of them played the fully-patched version.
    And neither did the internet hate machine.

I have spoken, and this is the hill I will die on, damnit... :P

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm glad Jeff was able to refute Brad's point that Half Life 2 was bland and unremarkable in the gaming landscape, even though Jeff himself does not like that game.

I don't love HL2, but I think it's real hard to dispute the idea that it was a wildly popular game that focused on physics weirdness and influenced the medium heavily.

Sounded like a classic case of the "Seinfeld Isn't Funny" TV Tropes page, where the influential game is considered trite and boring by today's standards even though it was the forebearer of gaming innovation at the time.
    Eh. I loved HL1 in its time, but when HL2 rolled out I thought it was disappointingly middling. Everything I was excited about was cut before release (the "advanced AI" they touted and never got working) and the final product just ended up feeling like a string of gimmick set pieces. Introduce a gimmick, spend 30 minutes with it, move on to the next one, with the previous ones never building on one another to become something greater.
    Kill zombies with the gravity gun! Drive a car!* Drive a boat!* Control ant lions! Have a bigger gravity gun! It felt so artificial, after HL1 excelled at making its world feel grounded compared to the FPSs of its time (ignoring Xen).

* should probably be Drive a car! Drive a car! Drive a car! Drive a car! Drive a boat! Drive a boat! Drive a boat! Drive a boat! Drive a boat!

This discussion has been closed.