As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I cannot remember the last time I read a review before buying a game.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I've figured it out! Not the real reason for Ben's leaving, but Abby's.

She wanted to leave Giant Bomb while she is still on top. Holding onto a prestigious title that only she has.
    Current holder of the Aggro Craig.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Sad event, but great joke. Hope he gets better soon.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I know it was a Twitter joke but hearing Ben refer to it as retirement is some shit.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I cannot remember the last time I read a review before buying a game.
    I very rarely buy games off sale, so by the time I get those I've heard all I need about them. And I'd never buy a game new without either a full review or at least a Mostly Positive rating on Steam with a glance through the top reviews, my library is big enough, I don't need to throw more money away buying chaff.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ten minutes past the announced start time, and Jan just retweeted this

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Kinda bummed that I don't think anyone on staff played Project Wingman, so it's probably not gonna get brought up. Damn fine game that came out last year.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Kinda bummed that I don't think anyone on staff played Project Wingman, so it's probably not gonna get brought up. Damn fine game that came out last year.

i never even heard of it. on a scale of one to ace combat, how ace combat is it? i'm a huge ace combat fan and it sure looks neat....

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

i never even heard of it. on a scale of one to ace combat, how ace combat is it? i'm a huge ace combat fan and it sure looks neat....

It is Ace Combat. They set out to make an Ace Combat game and they did it. You should 100% get it if you like Ace Combat and want another one.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

It is Ace Combat. They set out to make an Ace Combat game and they did it. You should 100% get it if you like Ace Combat and want another one.

But it's not Strangereal!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    GOTY lists for the day are out:
    Jeff Bakalar's Top 10 IPs That Should Immediately be Pinball Machines (An incredible list, he's absolutely right about his #1 pick)
    THE COMMISSIONER OF BLASEBALL Parker MacMillan IIIII's Top 10 Games(?) of 2020 (oh hell yeah)
    Mike Mahardy's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Mary Kish's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Bruno Dias' Top 10 Games of 2020 (Narrative writer/designer at Failbetter Games, 5 honorable mentions and 5 he genuinely loved)
    Erica Lahaie's Top 10 Games of 2020 (AKA Aurahack)
    Lena Raine's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Leon Chang's Top 5 Games of 2020 (stream Return to Bird World)
    Rich Gallup's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Felix Kramer's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Mega Ran's Year in Games 2020 (This one's a music video by Ran and K-Murdock)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I actually honestly don't care if any of their content is exclusive, when it comes down to it

I just think there's not a lot of content either way these days

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That Mega Ran list is awesome.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Man, now I’m remembering how awesome that piano top ten list from last year was.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    FUCK YEAH, to this being in the classic Game of the Year format!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

The Commissioner is, as always, doing a great job.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »

But it's not Strangereal!

It might as well be.

Seriously.

The design document was basically:

"Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna go make my OWN Ace Combat! With BLACKJACK! A-and HOOKERS!

"In fact, forget the blackjack and hookers!"

EDIT: Also it has VR support and it's super good

MechMantis on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

[edit] Wait, has it really been a year? Man...

Glal on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    GOTY lists for the day are out:
    Jeff Bakalar's Top 10 IPs That Should Immediately be Pinball Machines (An incredible list, he's absolutely right about his #1 pick)
    THE COMMISSIONER OF BLASEBALL Parker MacMillan IIIII's Top 10 Games(?) of 2020 (oh hell yeah)
    Mike Mahardy's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Mary Kish's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Bruno Dias' Top 10 Games of 2020 (Narrative writer/designer at Failbetter Games, 5 honorable mentions and 5 he genuinely loved)
    Erica Lahaie's Top 10 Games of 2020 (AKA Aurahack)
    Lena Raine's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Leon Chang's Top 5 Games of 2020 (stream Return to Bird World)
    Rich Gallup's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Felix Kramer's Top 10 Games of 2020
    Mega Ran's Year in Games 2020 (This one's a music video by Ran and K-Murdock)

Bakalar's #1 and #2 are both so good that I'm now retroactively angry they've never existed.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    FF7R getting cut so early is a crime.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    FF7R getting cut so early is a crime.

They did it so dirty. Didn't even play the right phase of the Jenova theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5JZNzSwEJY

Totally didn't deserve to get cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OSNK3gM6OM

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The best music discussions are always weird. Just a big list of youtube links out of context.

I never notice music in video games as i'm playing, and I don't play multiplayer anything, so i'm basically a neutral party today.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'd appreciate it if people could put what's happening in GOTY stuff in spoiler tags. I like going in not knowing what's gonna get cut. I could also try to have the willpower to not click this thread I guess.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The best music discussions are always weird. Just a big list of youtube links out of context.

I never notice music in video games as i'm playing, and I don't play multiplayer anything, so i'm basically a neutral party today.

Well, speaking as someone who only notices the quality of music in rare circumstances (Nier: Automata) hearing YouTube videos out-of-context can trigger my memory and make me go, oh shit this did have good music.

Of course, that doesn't work as well when they're playing tracks for a bunch of people who didn't play the game, but that's just the challenge of GOTY.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    On the plus side it's not being played through a phone speaker, aka the Tropical Freeze gambit

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

Well, speaking as someone who only notices the quality of music in rare circumstances (Nier: Automata) hearing YouTube videos out-of-context can trigger my memory and make me go, oh shit this did have good music.

Of course, that doesn't work as well when they're playing tracks for a bunch of people who didn't play the game, but that's just the challenge of GOTY.

I completed all of Hades and recognized nothing of what they played here.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

yes pleaase. this is MANY MANY hours of podcasts that it'll take me a few days to get through. If we could spoiler that stuff for right now I think a lot of people would appreciate it, especially as it's all going on during work days

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yes!

Tracksuit has shipped. Now to get my doctorate...

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I got my tracksuit yesterday. It's made well but the pants are ridiculously tight around the calves. Like inverse bell bottoms or something. It's not a huge deal but if they ever shrink I'll need to cut slits in them or something.

• Options
    Wouldn't be GOTY without Brad digging in his heels.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    except as usual in this category, he's right. jeff always dumps on orchestral music. there's no world where ori's music is generic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I hope replenishing the staff roster is a major priority this year. There are no strong opinions outside of the Jeff, Vinny, Brad triumvirate and the GOTY discourse suffers for it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Best Music is just a boring category to argue over.

Best Dad was really fun to listen to yesterday.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I got my tracksuit yesterday. It's made well but the pants are ridiculously tight around the calves. Like inverse bell bottoms or something. It's not a huge deal but if they ever shrink I'll need to cut slits in them or something.

Ok, Lance.

Huh, that's a bummer. Could be a defect or does it seem like they're designed that way? Will see what mine are like.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Just catching up with day one...
    Big boo to Ghost getting cut for TLoU2. TLoU2 is a pretty up scaled TLoU. It looks great, but Ghost was something special and fresh. The pastel colors and sweeping wind swept vistas and fields were the most striking thing I saw in a video game this year. All that talk of rewarding fresh takes and artistic risks basically went out the window. It was a very strange conversation.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Enjoying the guest lists this year. Some good ones.

Also best multiplayer I couldn’t have agreed more with.
    Rock & Stone!!!!!

• Options
    Day 2 stuff:
    Disappointed with Best Music. They all have very different tastes in game music, though, so I was probably never going to be happy with it. I also think there was probably more support for Spiritfarer than Ori amongst the staff, but Brad shut it down.
    Best Multiplayer was a fun conversation, though. Felt like there were good arguments for each of the games when they were whittling it down towards the end.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Feels a little weird that
    they salivated over Ghosts of Tsushima and then it gets cut in favour of two games that are just representations of the regular ole world.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    except as usual in this category, he's right. jeff always dumps on orchestral music. there's no world where ori's music is generic.

In general I think there's a bias against orchestral music for not being people's thing if it's straight orchestral and not blended with somthing else and I honestly think it fucking sucks ass. Especially in these kinds of games, this kind of music with strong theming and motifs are just as essential to elevating the storytelling of the game just as any modern genre does. It's probably not novel or groundbreaking but there's just as much value in the familiar done incredibly-well

It's not surprising though, just a serious fuckin bummer that this kind of craft gets the short end of the stick as usual

This discussion has been closed.