Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's kind of all streamers though - if you are trying to make money doing it you are doing it 8+ hours/day.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dan is running a salty bet-style production with his amiibos in smash and giving out bojangles gift cards to winners. Keeping running commentary and talking about the histories of all the competitors.

I mean I just gotta respect everything about him at this point.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Dan made a statement in an interview that part of why he left giant bomb was he didnt want to have to care about games he didnt care about, and that job was a lot of having to talk about games he might not give a shit about.

He's doing what he enjoys, he kind of said he would just keep doing streaming if it didnt make money, and committed to putting the money he makes back into the stream while it lasts. Sounds like his current plan is to have 2 different studios when he gets a house. Good for him.

He's been on and off twitter while at giant bomb, but he seems to really just want to do the performance part of his shtick on stream and that is it and not have to engage or cover stuff he doesnt want to. He found a way to do what he wants, his way, and make money, and thats pretty cool.

Backalar seems 150% on the same page like this and fed up, too. He has a family and doesnt want to do 2-4 conventions a year where he could just read a press release or watch a trailer or play a streaming demo. The industry is broken and stuck in a lot of ways and not built for some demographics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Is the market gonna be oversaturated, at some point? I follow Mary Kish and Dan on social media, and they're hustling hard, but it reminds me that more and more folks are hitting the livestreamer hustle, and I wonder how long it can be sustained.

In other relevant and horrific news, Dan is now stealing Brad's goddamn cred:

c36iymt7o0b5.jpg

• Options
    Yesterday's stream someone won their bet twice so elected to have the second gift certificate sent to Brad Shoemaker.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, the thing is, you can get away with a lot fewer viewers when you're solo since you don't have a large company to pay for.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Don't forget that Twitch takes a 50% cut, so he needs twice as many people as you think subscribing to him/donating to him to make however much money he needs to survive.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Mary also works at Twitch, so I don't know how much of that is her trying to side hustle.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Nobody told meDanika had become a VTuber.

That seems like... actually that’s exactly what I should have expected.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Last night and this morning were her first two posts about it.

• Options
    She also seems to have deleted her tweet about it.

But her being a v-tuber surprises me like zero percent. She likes Japanese stuff and doesn't like being public facing anymore, and I think she had mentioned last year that she had been dealing with a bunch of stuff but was ready to be more online again, esp during the pandemic.

I've been playing through Miles Morales and you talk with somebody named Danika a lot in that game, and it made me look up what Danika Harrod had been up to. I guess one of her dogs died late last year.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't really know much about Danika, think I vaguely remember her from either the podcast or a live show forever ago, but I wish her luck in the inevitable vtuber wars

• Options

But her being a v-tuber surprises me like zero percent. She likes Japanese stuff and doesn't like being public facing anymore, and I think she had mentioned last year that she had been dealing with a bunch of stuff but was ready to be more online again, esp during the pandemic.

I've been playing through Miles Morales and you talk with somebody named Danika a lot in that game, and it made me look up what Danika Harrod had been up to. I guess one of her dogs died late last year.

She said she was going to, yeah. VTubers aren’t supposed to be identified by their... actors? So she wants to keep them separated but obviously wants her audience to follow her.

• Options
    I mean, VTubers are just a mask you can wear to stream. I know a few VTubers who just don't want to be on camera, but they're very open about who they are. Might just be a personal choice for her.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Can't wait for annoying kids playing games on stream to be fully replaced by AI constructs.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

She said she was going to, yeah. VTubers aren’t supposed to be identified by their... actors? So she wants to keep them separated but obviously wants her audience to follow her.

It's generally professional full-time Vtubers who divorce their VTuber persona from their previous life. People who use virtual avatars in the course of their normal streaming, like friend of the site Aurahack, generally don't create that disconnect. In the case of Danika here, the English speaking VTuber market is getting pretty crowded so breaking that barrier for a quick injection of new viewers makes sense to some degree.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Is the market gonna be oversaturated, at some point? I follow Mary Kish and Dan on social media, and they're hustling hard, but it reminds me that more and more folks are hitting the livestreamer hustle, and I wonder how long it can be sustained.

In other relevant and horrific news, Dan is now stealing Brad's goddamn cred:

c36iymt7o0b5.jpg

Considering that Dan is going to use the box that came in as the new amiibo jail that is going to result in a lot of bang for Bojangles Buck right there.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I wonder how much it costs to run a 30 second ad on Twitch.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much it costs to run a 30 second ad on Twitch.

However long has Dan been talking about that controller is what you get for the cost of that controller, so ROI is probably pretty good.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I read and really enjoyed Dan's book on anxiety. It helped me quite a lot back in 2017. It's honestly super great to see the guy overcome some serious anxiety bullshit and become one of the more earnest and enjoyable human clown shows on the internet. He's genuinely an inspiration for anyone to follow their absurd dreams to the fullest.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so uhhh

What the fuck is a V-Tuber?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    so uhhh

someone who streams or makes other forms of video content behind a virtual (usually anime-inspired) persona.

• Options
    so uhhh

someone who streams or makes other forms of video content behind a virtual (usually anime-inspired) persona.

ahhh. ok I don't follow streamers at all and I've never encountered it in the produced youtube vids I watch.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    V-tubers being a thing is one of the first things I've seen that has nearly triggered some sort of "old man yells at cloud" thing in me, but I suppress it instead and just choose to ignore it. I've come to terms with the fact that it's just one of those things that is Not For Me.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    V-tubers being a thing is one of the first things I've seen that has nearly triggered some sort of "old man yells at cloud" thing in me, but I suppress it instead and just choose to ignore it. I've come to terms with the fact that it's just one of those things that is Not For Me.

big same

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Am I the only "old" who isn't weirded out by v-tubers? It's a really obvious idea (IMO) that just needed the right tech to arrive.

Instead putting my ugly mug up for thousands of people to comment on, I can just do it through a talking hamburger or whatever. Easy peasy.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    so uhhh

ahhh. ok I don't follow streamers at all and I've never encountered it in the produced youtube vids I watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ9iiy7sT9E

They're fun. Also, lots of great animated clips, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgce9GJ1CPs

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    As someone who took a while to adjust to "...why would I want to see the face of the person I'm watching play the vidyagame?", using an avatar instead of your actual mug feels like an upgrade.

• Options
    I'm mostly not weirded out by it I just don't personally have any interest in it. If I want the personal touch from a streamer I want to see a real face and if I don't I'd rather see nothing at all.

The only part of v-tubers I find weird is that amount of it that seems focused on lewd stuff (though that may have more to do with what the audience focuses on than what is actually there, since I only see the audience) but even with that I recognize that it's an opportunity for young women to express themselves in a society (Japan) that is deeply Not About That.

• Options
    Remember when they messed around with Facerig and Brad was a hamburger and a cat?

It's like that. I think Jan and Ben were doing research on VTuber tech as well.

Again, one of the major hurdles for me streaming was not wanting to show my face, and my idea was just to stream in a luchador mask. A VTuber is much easier as a digital avatar. You don't have to do the whole fake persona thing. It's just a cartoon mask.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Friend of the site ZandraVandra uses a Live2D avatar in conjunction with her close captioning:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I mean, I remember the first time we saw a muppet playing games on Twitch (I think it was Arlo playing Crusader Kings?)which in retrospect was the most brilliant and obvious thing and this is just a natural evolution of that.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    vtubers are wrestlers but for the internet

at this point saying you don't like vtubers is like saying you don't like country music - as a genre I can understand it but I guarantee I can find something that you dig (but it's probably not worth the effort and that's fine too)

also a lot of vtubers are into some super weird performance art type stuff that's a lot more fun than I would've expected, which is cool

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I'm kind of over the whole "watching other people play video games", and all I see of vtubers is weird anime ladies with cat ears that I just can't... wait a minute, I think I heard someone step on my lawn,brb

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Am I the only "old" who isn't weirded out by v-tubers? It's a really obvious idea (IMO) that just needed the right tech to arrive.

Instead putting my ugly mug up for thousands of people to comment on, I can just do it through a talking hamburger or whatever. Easy peasy.

If that was all it entailed I'd agree with you but the extra performative nature of it combined with the extreme anime affectations most of those V-Tubers use is what I find strange about it.

I totally "get" it in the sense that I know there's a whole demographic I'm not a part of that's engaged with that level of pop culture but I also find it to be absolutely fucking stupid.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Personally, I do not find it any weirder than a man wearing a wig, 'stache, and a plate carrier in order to stream his "persona" of being a smug asshole.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    There's probably a better defense of V Tubers than "at least they're not Dr. Distemper," though.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Personally, I do not find it any weirder than a man wearing a wig, 'stache, and a plate carrier in order to stream his "persona" of being a smug asshole.

I completely agree with that and it’s why I’m not interested in v-tubers. All the streamers I watch are people who are using something close to their actual personality, not playing a character. The more it veers away from that the more I lose interest.

• Options
    If the performance is never dropped, does it make a difference? Is them being 'real' what you enjoy or is it the content they produce? Or both?

I'm just trying to understand where the distinction comes in. If the end result is something likeable then does it matter if it's being done as part of an act?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    GONG-00 wrote: »

why can't both be bad?

edit - i should say, as that was super snarky, i'm just not interested in watching streamers, it's not my thing at all. I barely even watch the GB dudes do quicklooks and I love those guys.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.