As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Glal wrote: »
    This remains one of GB's top videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAlcnsXPTLY
    The signed and repackaged whiskey bottle really is the bow on top of that story.

TubularLuggage on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    This remains one of GB's top videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAlcnsXPTLY
    The signed and repackaged whiskey bottle really is the bow on top of that story.

Every part of that story is perfect escalation, because every part of it could be the punchline, and it just keeps going until it reaches an absolutely astonishing conclusion

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That video cuts out the part where they first get on Google Maps and Jan is incensed that they're in the photo.

THAT'S FUCKING THEM!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Deep down, Jan, and all of us, wish we could be as fulfilled in life as The Pogi Boys.

We hate seeing what we can never achieve.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    They're doing cheap speed in a coffee shop toilet and think people who hate their guts are their good friends.

I'm prob good.

steam_sig.png

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I was not expecting an interesting and insightful discussion about NFTs on the Beastcast, but hey, it was great.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://youtu.be/xKro3I7v8_o

I'm glad Dan is hear for me now after having just watched a very middling movie. This is bound to be waaay better and more entertaining.

Edit: The tag team matchup of Pac Man and Diddy Kong being called P Diddy is pretty great.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea who it would be or what it would look like, but I think I'd enjoy the Smashy Bet stuff a lot more if he had a second announcer for a more natural back-and-forth type commentary approach. It's basically fine as is, but for me that would definitely put it over the top (assuming a good caster and good chemistry, of course).

Dan Ryckert and Hungrybox present . . . Smashy Bet!

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I have no idea who it would be or what it would look like, but I think I'd enjoy the Smashy Bet stuff a lot more if he had a second announcer for a more natural back-and-forth type commentary approach. It's basically fine as is, but for me that would definitely put it over the top (assuming a good caster and good chemistry, of course).

I think I’d like it more if Dan (or a co-commentator) had any sort of affinity for the game. The promos he does and the dumb storyline stuff are amazing, but he doesn’t seem to be enjoying it very much while it’s happening and he repeats himself a lot. Wrestling commentators can at least call out moves and improv stuff about “oh, he’s obviously doing X to account for Y and outthinking his opponent!” when weird stuff happens.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I think I’d like it more if Dan (or a co-commentator) had any sort of affinity for the game. The promos he does and the dumb storyline stuff are amazing, but he doesn’t seem to be enjoying it very much while it’s happening and he repeats himself a lot. Wrestling commentators can at least call out moves and improv stuff about “oh, he’s obviously doing X to account for Y and outthinking his opponent!” when weird stuff happens.

yeah that's probably what I'm feeling too

like if he had a co-host who actually knew the game and could call out good play-by-play action, I think it'd be a lot more fun

I get the feeling Dan doesn't know the first thing about Smash Bros and just thought 'I have a ton of amiibos, wtf can I do with them for content. Salty Bet and VCGW were both popular, I guess I could do that' but doesn't actually care that much about the game itself

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Sounds like a job for Tim Turi. They have amazing chemistry.

uyvfOQy.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    does anybody actually care about cpu on cpu smash bros?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/xKro3I7v8_o

I'm glad Dan is hear for me now after having just watched a very middling movie. This is bound to be waaay better and more entertaining.

Edit: The tag team matchup of Pac Man and Diddy Kong being called P Diddy is pretty great.

Favorite bits:
    Dan joking on Two Idiots (Ness/Lucas tag team) the entire Match since they were dying bad. Only for them to turn it around and win in the last seconds. Then followed by Chat losing it and spamming the $100 Most god awful sound effect string ever a few times. He is just pissed. It is hilarious.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Alpharad's CPU CS has 2.5 million views so yeah.
    These videos are great at improving lore based off the cpu antics. If Dan could have this level of match commentary he'd have the best of both worlds.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited March 2021

i mean potentially yeah, the same way people came to care about saltybet

given the right circumstances and a good host, people can be made to care about pretty much anything in existence

Houk the Namebringer on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Ben or Jeff would both be great guests for Dan's stupid show.
    Jeff because of his long familiarity with the darker corners of Saltybet and his vast knowledge of games lore.
    Ben because he's a total Smash weeb and would legit be able to shoutcast the matches.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

Alpharad's CPU CS has 2.5 million views so yeah.

dear god

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ben or Jeff would both be great guests for Dan's stupid show.
    Jeff because of his long familiarity with the darker corners of Saltybet and his vast knowledge of games lore.
    Ben because he's a total Smash weeb and would legit be able to shoutcast the matches.

jeff's interestingness in such things stems from the fighting game knowledge involved more though, I don't think he cares about smash at all

BahamutZERO.gif
    He actively dislikes Smash and doesn't care about Amiibo. Maybe he'd be interested in streaming nonsense but he likes a different kind of weird stream that Dan wouldn't understand anyway.

steam_sig.png

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I know Bakalar and Abby both stop in chat during Dans streams sometimes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them pop up for something eventually.

Also I find it interesting that I’ve been liking Dan’s solo streaming stuff a lot more than some of his GB stuff (with a few exceptions like Mario Party).

ManetherenWolf on
    Yeah I love me some Jeff but even aside from content that he's probably not super interested in, I feel like him and Dan never really had the most exciting chemistry. They work well in a group, especially when Jeff gets to react to Dan's various idiotic statements/beliefs, but as like a sustained one-on-one thing I feel like their personalities just don't play off each other that much. They can talk about wrestling I guess, but if I never heard anyone talk about wrestling ever again I wouldn't be bothered one bit.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    All Systems Goku was one of the best things GB has ever produced

J3qcnBP.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah give them some mutually interesting topic and they're golden, just smash is NOT that topic.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    CPU Smash Bros has a big disadvantage compared to Salty Bet or VGCW in that you aren't watching all custom creations fight each other

Like if Salty Bet was CPU matches of well balanced normal fighting game characters nobody would care

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

It was Mondo Cool and I loved it dearly.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Abby being a guest on this Valheim play-date and it's like she never left. Stop messing up her path(s), Brad! :lol:

Whoever it is doing construction work at her office space keeps tapping out the rhythm to 'shave-and-a-haircut' the whole stream long.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm glad Dan is doing well for himself, but I like his content and his idiot heel persona even less now that he's not "shielded" by other GB staffers. Just not my cup of tea.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I think Jeff and Dan both worked really well (along with Drew) in Demo Derby too.

fRAWRst wrote: »

hmm yeah I guess that's true, although that was definitely kind of a one-of-a-kind thing (at least for me). I feel like the topic itself carried them a lot more than their combination of personalities. in general, the two of them together on their own just never really did much for me. but I guess there's something there when it's Jeff sharing/schooling Dan on something without Dan trying to be peak Dan.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm glad Dan is doing well for himself, but I like his content and his idiot heel persona even less now that he's not "shielded" by other GB staffers. Just not my cup of tea.
    Yeah. I still enjoy some parts of his streams (like his recent Banjo Kazooie LP) but I have to mute it sometimes when he lets chat get carried away with the constant and extremely annoying sound effects.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah. I still enjoy some parts of his streams (like his recent Banjo Kazooie LP) but I have to mute it sometimes when he lets chat get carried away with the constant and extremely annoying sound effects.

This is part of the reason I don't enjoy watching a lot of people on Twitch. Last year...maybe the year before? I can't remember...anyway, I was watching Mary Kish and Mike Mahardy play through Dead Space, but I could only make it through an episode and a half. Constant donation sound effects and the two of them thanking people for buying a subscription. I get it that that is basically part of Twitch culture, but it's just not for me. Which is too bad, because I did enjoy watching them when it wasn't happening.

I guess this is part of the appeal of watching the GB guys for me.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's just a Twitch thing, the combination of the platform designing its monetisation around enforcing parasocial mentality and the resulting feeling like the people you're watching are constantly begging for money (because they are) is pretty off-putting to me.

I can get past it for certain streamers, but it's very select and I don't even open Twitch up unless I know they're streaming.

I only watch pirate streams that turn that stuff off to avoid being noticed by Twitch cops.

steam_sig.png

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    It's like someone made an entire streaming service to resemble the public television telethon.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like 'Chat' is a big part of why I've never really gotten into any Twitch stuff. Between the monetization (which for me feels weird on both sides of it), and the constant interaction with chat so often being a bit part of it, I just tend to bounce off of it most of the time.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I mean, if someone I don't know gave me $5, $10, or $25 I'd thank them too, I don't see why that's so weird

Crippl3 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    As somebody who is, basically, a nobody, the idea that people would know who I am, but I don't know who the are, seems strange and terrifying.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I mean, if someone I don't know gave me $5, $10, or $25 I'd thank them too, I don't see why that's so weird
    The weird bit is watching someone perform on stage, but every 10 seconds they stop their bit to accept a small tip and thank GreasyMeatballs99 before resuming.

I don't begrudge streamers this, people gotta eat and Twitch designed it to work this way, but unless you're a family member and it's your birthday I don't really care to watch people slowly opening mostly underwhelming presents.

This discussion has been closed.