As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I like all three of those people in that podcast, but I have a hard enough time keeping up with the podcasts I'm already subscribed to. I don't have 40-minute commute to work anymore, nor am I regularly driving an additional 600 miles every 2 weeks. I had a whole suite of podcasts to listen to back then!

SteevL on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Podcast backlog with no commute is a real problem. There is very few podcasts I actually manage to keep up with this past year.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    EtheaSteevLKreutzHardtargetReynoldsStabbity StyleRhesus PositiveZilla360Honk
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I added the podcast to my subscriptions but I too already am weeks or months behind on multiple podcasts. Even with a commute, cooking dinner a few times a week, and general listening while getting ready for work in the morning or around the house I cant keep up with the majority of podcasts I listen to. A few like the Bombcast, Beastcast, The Smoking Tire, Tech Pod, and Trash Taste are the only ones I'm able to consistently listen to every week. Ones like Waypoint, Gamespot After Dark, Abroad in Japan, and The HotSpot are ones I try and fit in but usually get left in the queue for when one of my favorite ones aren't interesting to me that week.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    The only ones I'm subscribed to at the moment are Giant Bomb's podcasts and Retronauts. Earlier this year I finally caught up on my GB podcasts (I was regularly 2 weeks behind), with Retronauts I'm still in October 2018. That's 163 podcasts, and almost 10 days of recorded material.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I've regularly skipped the gaming news portion of both Bomb and Beastcasts for about six months now, to save time. Any big gaming stories tend to get mentioned and discussed on the Hotspot, and if not I'll usually encounter them somewhere else on the internet. And the emails are where all of the funny bits live, anyway.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I've withered my podcasts down to Giant Bomb stuff (Bombcast, Beastcast and Hot Spot) Waypoint (Tuesday and Friday shows). and some of our own Audio Entropy podcasts.

RIP Idle Thumbs/Idle Weekend/Important if True. :( You'll forever have a spot in my subscription list.

I used to do IGN's Podcast Unlocked up until recently, as I feel like they're just no longer worth my time for reasons I won't get into since this isn't the Podcast thread.

I'll give Fire Escape a try since I have a hole in my schedule now.

Undead Scottsman on
    finnithZilla360
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    They mention fire escape will be every 2 weeks so I don't think its gonna be that hard to fit in. Over the last year I've just fit podcast time into chores and cooking and it works pretty well.

steam_sig.png
    They mention fire escape will be every 2 weeks so I don't think its gonna be that hard to fit in. Over the last year I've just fit podcast time into chores and cooking and it works pretty well.

Yep, they're perfect for cooking and washing dishes!

DiannaoChongGenji-GlovesGlalSatanIsMyMotorRhesus Positive
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've been listening to all my podcasts on slightly advanced speed to catch up on them, and that just makes regular podcasts sound incredibly slow.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    As a genuine, no judgment question, why? I can understand trying to cram as much information as quickly as possible if you're studying for an exam or something, but why would you fast forward casual entertainment?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Glal wrote: »
    As a genuine, no judgment question, why? I can understand trying to cram as much information as quickly as possible if you're studying for an exam or something, but why would you fast forward casual entertainment?

I do 1.1x Speed and Trim Silence which sounds natural but faster. The trim will mess up awkward silences, but most editors cut that out anyway.

Less important now sans commute, but I've got enough subscriptions that I like the time savings without listening to robots.

Just make you turn it off for things like RiffTrax.

MichaelLC on
    I had an 80 hour backlog at the start of this year, so Ilistened to that stuff at 1.6x speed and with medium silence trim. I wound up getting used to it, so once I got through the backlog, I just left it on.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Dan at least will admit when he doesn't know something and
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

I do 1.1x Speed and Trim Silence which sounds natural but faster. The trim will mess up awkward silences, but most editors cut that out anyway.

Less important now sans commute, but I've got enough subscriptions that I like the time savings without listening to robots.

Just make you turn it off for things like RiffTrax.
    This was driving me crazy for a while. I listen to my podcasts with Trim Silences and about 1.2 speed, and last week I was trying to listen to a We Hate Movies commentary for Predator and the sync kept getting off and I could not figure out why.

GlalMichaelLCRhesus Positive
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just got back into the Bombcast after months of insane work. I only just realized, after listening to 5 full episodes, that Ben is not there.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Stabbity Style
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just completely forgot about him.

Cormac
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Helps that Danny is such a presence.

No idea who's benefitting more from him being on the podcast, but really enjoying having him.

GoodKingJayIIIStabbity StyleKnight_Rhesus PositiveZilla360Honk
    edited April 2021
    Let me tell you, as a man who grew up in a burb outside Baltimore and experienced two emergences of the Brood X, Jeff Bakalar’s cicada story is not an exaggeration. It is 100% accurate.

GoodKingJayIII on
    MichaelLCGONG-00Stabbity Style
    Let me tell you, as a man who grew up in a burb outside Baltimore and experienced two emergences of the Brood X, Jeff Bakalar’s cicada story is not an exaggeration. It is 100% accurate.

As a relatively recent resident of northern Virginia, I am looking forward to/bracing for/dreading it.

SteevL wrote: »

As a relatively recent resident of northern Virginia, I am looking forward to/bracing for/dreading it.

We're going to get a big one here in Chicago area too. Feel thr same; cool but could really do without.

So since i was just in the MCU thread, would the Unsnapping reset thier schedule? Like would a 13 brood come up in 8 years with the others or would they wait another 13?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    MichaelLC wrote: »

We're going to get a big one here in Chicago area too. Feel thr same; cool but could really do without.

So since i was just in the MCU thread, would the Unsnapping reset thier schedule? Like would a 13 brood come up in 8 years with the others or would they wait another 13?

They'd be the same number of years still there'd just be on average half as many of them.

E: UNsnapping, I'm a dummy

Their cycle would continue from where it was when they were dusted. So if they were 4 years in to a 13 cycle they'd come up 9 years from now and seem, from an unsnapped person's perspective, like they were down there 18 years. The middle 5 snapped years don't exist for them.

Aistan on
    MichaelLC
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The debut episode of The Fire Escape will be on Monday, as announced by Dan (he brings it up during the RE Village - "Castle" Gsmeplay Demo). I'm sure that it has probably been announced on Twitter and elsewhere too.

I'm pretty excited for it! I like Ryckert, Mahardy, and Kish in everything they have done together at Giant Bomb and during Dan's Twitch streams. And I like the thought of potentially getting action movie and wine recommendations from the same podcast.

Speaking of action movies, I have to imagine Mortal Kombat would be a point of conversation (if not episide one, soon sfter) which will be fun. I thought it was good at least! It had a low bar to clear but I think it did that and then some rather effortlessly.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0

It's surreal but they are harmless. Just be prepared to find them occasionally clinging to your shirt or pants. They are incredibly clumsy fliers and they can't see all that well either. Lasts about 2ish weeks

Fencingsax
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

It's surreal but they are harmless. Just be prepared to find them occasionally clinging to your shirt or pants. They are incredibly clumsy fliers and they can't see all that well either. Lasts about 2ish weeks
    In college, my off-campus apartment was basically surrounded by trees during one of the Cincinnati Brood’s emergence years. You could not walk to your car without being bombarded by them and they constantly covered your car. It was awful. This is the year that brood reemerges but thankfully I’m pretty far out from the highest concentration of that one now.

GoodKingJayIII
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Junior year of high school was ridiculous for this.

The only thing I remember involving cicadas was during a family trip to my grandparents a little west of Chicago sometime in the late 80s. There wasn't a swarm at their house, but the neighbors were going on a day trip to see them nearby and brought back a bunch of them. I remember finding them scary and kind of gross at the time.

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I was in high school last go-round and in PE class, we were doing a tennis unit through April into May and kids would just be smacking thousands of cicadas over an hour with their tennis rackets.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Rehab wrote: »
    The debut episode of The Fire Escape will be on Monday, as announced by Dan (he brings it up during the RE Village - "Castle" Gsmeplay Demo). I'm sure that it has probably been announced on Twitter and elsewhere too.

I'm pretty excited for it! I like Ryckert, Mahardy, and Kish in everything they have done together at Giant Bomb and during Dan's Twitch streams. And I like the thought of potentially getting action movie and wine recommendations from the same podcast.

Speaking of action movies, I have to imagine Mortal Kombat would be a point of conversation (if not episide one, soon sfter) which will be fun. I thought it was good at least! It had a low bar to clear but I think it did that and then some rather effortlessly.

Listening to it right now and I can tell I'm going to enjoy it. I'm most familiar with Ryckert, recognize Mahardy from a few guest spots he's done and can't really place Kish in much but they have the easy chemistry from three friends.

Also interesting, Dan can't mention he works for the WWE. Weird.

Between this, The New Day Pod and Panning the Stream, my Mondays are going to be very Ryckert filled.

Kyougu on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Kish I seem to remember appearing on Bomb or Beastcast once or twice, but I might be mistaking her for someone else (Games people cycle through different companies so much lately it’s can be tough keeping them all straight unless you watch them a ton.)

BahamutZERO
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    She's been on both casts.

Mary Kish was the one calling people wieners for camping in bathtubs in Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

She was also present when Brad crashed a Gamestop stream with the telepresence robot.

GoodKingJayIII
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mary Kish was the one calling people wieners for camping in bathtubs in Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

She was also present when Brad crashed a Gamestop stream with the telepresence robot.

she also used to work for gamespot for years which is why people may have seen here

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    ShadowfireStabbity StyleHadesGoodKingJayIIIThe DeliveratorBRIAN BLESSEDSnicketysnick
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I definitely remember her being in a lot of GB videos and other content, but for some reason I can't recall a specific time of her being on the podcast (I've been mainly a GBEast listener for quite a while now, which is probably a big reason for that)

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Mary was ever on the podcasts but she did take part in a few Unprofessional Fridays and the E3 after hours couch sessions.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Watching Mary demolish Downwell on stream was a treat.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Still waiting on Dan "Man of his Word" Ryckert to eat a hat
    xu257gunns6e.png
    SatanIsMyMotorThe DeliveratorSnicketysnickcooljammer00
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah she did a bunch of stuff with GB in the past. She's super entertaining.

Met her at that party they threw in the SF office a few years ago and she was extremely nice and friendly.
    And then I drank a lot of their PBR and traded growing-up-in-Petaluma war stories with Jeff, which was fun.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Stabbity StyleUndead ScottsmanSproutSeGaTaiAistanSatanIsMyMotorHadesnever dieZilla360ShadowfireRhesus PositiveGenji-GlovesGoodKingJayIIIThe DeliveratorErlecBRIAN BLESSEDGONG-00SnicketysnickHonkhemmelightcooljammer00
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    My biggest GB memory of Mary was her going in on how Kansas City chili is garbage.

edit- My mistake, it was Cincinnati chili that's garbage.

Snake Gandhi on
    SatanIsMyMotorCrippl3Stabbity StyleGoodKingJayIIIThe Deliverator
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Dan should've picked another name for the new podcast since I ended up coming across another one with almost the exact same name whilst adding it to my podcast app.

NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My main Mary Kish exposure was the 24 hour charity streams where she'd often show up during the night shift and get up to shenanigans

Crippl3Zilla360BRIAN BLESSEDWildali
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    My biggest GB memory of Mary was her going in on how Kansas City chili is garbage.

it's a tremendous segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnhrOsrf9NY

Crippl3 on
    Zilla360GlalStabbity StyleBRIAN BLESSEDGONG-00Snicketysnick
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    just that list of ingredients alone is offensive to taste

PSN SeGaTai
    ShadowfireStabbity StyleGoodKingJayIII
This discussion has been closed.