As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Reminder you can watch all four streams (when they get archived) simultaneously at https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/i-made-a-thing-to-watch-gb-videos-simultaneously-u-1881738/

It's my preferred way of watching the Minecraft and Astroneer streams now.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm digging how much they're digging Minecraft. That game is just super fun to fuck around in and build cool stuff with friends.
    I'm really glad they posted different players' streams, so you can just pick the one that most fits what you're looking for from the streams.
    Vinny's stream is the best. Just fuckin around with redstone and minecarts, lol. And Jeff's off building a house in the sky XD
    That was my initial assumption, but his stream for the first night ended up a mix of frustration and tedium for me; I don't mind trying to make things look neat, in fact I am the same way, but the zero-forethought way he went about doing it made my brain scream internally. He kept having to demolish stuff he'd just built, over and over.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Was this a one off thing or he did he work with the show regularly?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I haven't heard his most recent telling of it, but IIRC, he was a temp fill in for somebody else.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Was this a one off thing or he did he work with the show regularly?

He talks about it in the most recent Beastcast. He knew someone who asked him to fill in when the original person was unavailable. He said it was incredibly stressful but good pay ($500 a day), but he had another job at the time so turned down an offer to do it more.

His story about meeting Dave Chappelle is also really funny.

In the latest Beastcast, does he mention what the other skit he was asked to do was? Because it's a doozy.

steam_sig.png

In the latest Beastcast, does he mention what the other skit he was asked to do was? Because it's a doozy.

The Rick James one, IIRC.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Reminder you can watch all four streams (when they get archived) simultaneously at https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/i-made-a-thing-to-watch-gb-videos-simultaneously-u-1881738/

why not live?
    neD92xM.jpg?1
    /flex

steam_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'll check that out.

why not live?
    neD92xM.jpg?1
    /flex
    9eoguydeuua6.png

/same

MichaelLC on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Someone should tell Jeff how to make a shovel.

Edit: Oh shit, he finally makes some.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That was awesome.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    In the most recent ep of Brad and Will Made a Tech Pod, Will casually mentions that someone he considered a friend hacked his shit.

steam_sig.png

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    In the most recent ep of Brad and Will Made a Tech Pod, Will casually mentions that someone he considered a friend hacked his shit.

Goddamnit, Norm.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yesterday some years back.

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/unprofessional-fridays-06-07-2013/2970-13962

Catmario! Patrick swears and Jeff just smiling away.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Old friend of the site Jeff Green's got a new podcast in the works!

I miss Jeff Green, he was awesome and 1up.com's GFW Radio was my first favorite podcast back when I was getting into podcasts. And check out who his first guest will be!

If you have trouble getting the feed, I had better luck searching for 'Jeff Green's in Pocketcast. There's another active game podcast called The Dialogue Box.

I was apparently already subscribed to the US Gamer podcast feed, which has a short preview episode up

steam_sig.png

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    If you have trouble getting the feed, I had better luck searching for 'Jeff Green's in Pocketcast. There's another active game podcast called The Dialogue Box.

You can also just put the RSS feed into the search bar in pocket cast for anything and it will populate for you.
    https://dialogueboxusg.libsyn.com/rss

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I feel like thats the exact face Alex would make in reacting to that.

steam_sig.png
    Various people have been sharing their salary history on twitter, and Patrick shared his, which was fascinating:

edited June 2020
    I'm surprised how much he makes. I thought journalists got paid like $20-40k a year.

Undead Scottsman on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Patrick is for sure on the top end of what game journalists make. You can look at Kyle's original thread for a better idea of the numbers, and keep in mind anyone posting a salary is already above the average games writer.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised how much he makes. I thought journalists got paid like $20-40k a year.

Unless you're a freelancer or completely entry-level that estimate seems incredibly low to me. Do you mean game journalists specifically? Cause yeah it does seem there are a lot of really bad situations in a lot of companies.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited June 2020
    I'm listening to this Jeff Green podcast with Austin Walker. I'm half an hour in and it's pretty much what I expected, which is two cool people I enjoy listening to having a conversation about Austin's journey. I had forgotten that Waypoint started literally a week before the 2016 election!

SteevL on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would have liked to seen which jobs of his offered health care. Interesting he took a pay cut to go to GB then no pay raises for 4 years.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I would have liked to seen which jobs of his offered health care. Interesting he took a pay cut to go to GB then no pay raises for 4 years.

no wonder he left

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »

no wonder he left

I think he had a tweet later down in his thread saying CBS probably had the best benefits out of all the orgs he worked for. Also I bet Whiskey was barebones for salary for a while.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

no wonder he left

I mean I can't imagine EGM having really good long term prospects at that time either.

I'm shocked EGM paid as well as it did. This was Zombie EGM that was a web only mag, and everyone who worked there either says it sucked or says nothing about it.

steam_sig.png

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Working with Jeff, the man who knows EVERYONE in the industry, is also probably worth a bit of a pay cut just for the connections you'll make. Those will take you through the rest of a career. If you get great benefits from it, bonus. Sounds like he got what he needed and left, which good on him.

There is a comment down below from Dannica saying she made 30k less than him at Waypoint. I have no idea what their comparable experience is like but DAMN.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    IIRC, Patrick was friends with Ryan and Brad, and he and Katie wanted to get out of LA. He was also going to be their news guy before they realized GB didn't need a news guy.

I'm not excusing it, but Whiskey Media was a startup and he was the first hire that didn't work at GameSpot. Shelby Bonnie wasn't going to pay more than he had to, and Patrick was young and lived within his means.

steam_sig.png

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    IIRC, Patrick was friends with Ryan and Brad, and he and Katie wanted to get out of LA. He was also going to be their news guy before they realized GB didn't need a news guy.

I'm not excusing it, but Whiskey Media was a startup and he was the first hire that didn't work at GameSpot. Shelby Bonnie wasn't going to pay more than he had to, and Patrick was young and lived within his means.

He also talks in a Follow-up tweet that his contract was negotiated when it was still Whiskey Media and they could only hire him after an ad sale went through.

He also broke his collarbone while with GB. That'd be a good way to know if the insurance was any good.

steam_sig.png

• hushhush Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    He explains more in some of his posts regarding that tweet in the resetera thread - there was definitely no bad blood, it was just the way things worked out for him at that job - whiskey was poor, and cbs was super corporate.

hush on
    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, he says they were small and had no formal way of promoting staff, and of course it feels awkward just asking for more money. "Join a union" seems to be the real takeaway.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    hush wrote: »
    He explains more in some of his posts regarding that tweet in the resetera thread - there was definitely no bad blood, it was just the way things worked out for him at that job - whiskey was poor, and cbs was super corporate.

I don't want to get into inter forum drama (since I also post there) but that thread feels like it was done just to screw over GB. There are legitimate wage concerns in the video game industry (especially being based in SF) but targeting Patrick and GB specifically feels real suspect. Just my two cents.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    thinking asking for a raise after years is selfish/guilty is insane to me

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    hush wrote: »

I guess I didn't do it either in my posts, but can you post the link to the resetera thread??

This discussion has been closed.