As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Geometry Wars coming to the Wii

• Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    I will purchase this if and only if it is priced appropriately.

IE, less than 20$.

woah fella. it cost 5 the first time around. pay 5. ;-) maybe 10 if it's neat-o-er.

Well, if its a hard copy, costs for disc production, cases, manuals, retail overhead, ect, have to be taken into consideration. There's also the "single player campaign" nonsense they can use to "justify" a higher pricepoint.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What does the Wii have to offer for Geometry Wars? Is it going to be on the VC? Right now you can get that came for $5 and it plays wonderfully. How much would they dare to charge for this? How would you even play it? Online scoreboards are apart of the appeal of that game, would they make it to the Wii version?
    To your first point: The Wii doesn't need to "offer" everything to every single game that comes to the platform.
    Just as plenty of DS games play fantastically without nary a use of the touchscreen, so can Wii games not be front-loaded with crippling waggle-fest controls. Hell, I'd be fine if it just had GC/CC support, like more Wii games have been doing.

But I think Soldat-style controls of analog stick to move, Wiimote point to aim (much like Alien Syndrome seems to be set up) would play really, really well. The skillsets wouldn't transfer over directly, and a lot of shmup die-hards would say the controls suck, but I think it would still be really fun.

Pricing, I'm still curious about. I was hesistant when freeware shmup Every Extend got upgraded and sent to the PSP for $30. :| But I love Geo Wars immensely -- one of my favorite Robotron clones since Smash TV -- and if it's got a lot of new content as well as the old classics I'd be willing to go $30 for it, like I did with Alien Hominid.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I will purchase this if and only if it is priced appropriately.

IE, less than 20$.

woah fella. it cost 5 the first time around. pay 5. ;-) maybe 10 if it's neat-o-er.

Well, if its a hard copy, costs for disc production, cases, manuals, retail overhead, ect, have to be taken into consideration. There's also the "single player campaign" nonsense they can use to "justify" a higher pricepoint.

good call. I didnt consider that this game could be a hard copy. i agree at that price point but frankly GW wasn't nearly as good as other 20-30 dolla shumps like Gradius. not even in the same ballpark and I don't see them approaching it unless they have a huge overhaul.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think the game would work well using pointer to aim. In order to use the pointer to aim you have to maintain an awareness of where exactly on the screen you are poiting so you don't drift your pointer out of the IR sensing region.

In GW it is way more than most brains can handle just keeping tabs on the ships and the 6,000,000,000 projectiles flying around. Having to track a shooting cursor position IN RELATION to where your ship is will be difficult within the context of this game, and frustrating.

The nice thing about dual analogs is that they are both absolute controls, less thought to 'fire left'. Aiming left will get progressively more difficult the further left your ship moves. And your shots will be changing orientation as you move your ship unless you exactly mimic your ship moves with the remote.

It would be a very different game, and I think it would be a harder one on the Wii if they keep the game as enemy dense as the 360 one. Anyone who has played it knows it gets insane really fast.

Smudge on
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There was this platform shooter some of you may remember called Abuse. You controlled your character with the keyboard, and used the mouse to aim, so you could fire in any direction. I think using the analog stick to move and the pointer to shoot on the Wii would work fine.

As for the DS, I'm a little less sure, but they could do something like using the touchscreen just for aiming and put all the action on the top screen.

Puny Human on
  • seeram4seeram4 Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    if geometry wars comes to the wii i will play it cause i got a wii and a 360 but back to wars how will you control it like what the hell

seeram4 on
    IM IN YOUR DAD

KILLING HIS SPERM
    edited May 2007
    Puny Human wrote: »
    There was this platform shooter some of you may remember called Abuse. You controlled your character with the keyboard, and used the mouse to aim, so you could fire in any direction. I think using the analog stick to move and the pointer to shoot on the Wii would work fine.

As for the DS, I'm a little less sure, but they could do something like using the touchscreen just for aiming and put all the action on the top screen.

moving the ship with the stylus and the fire with the dpad might be fun and valid.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

moving the ship with the stylus and the fire with the dpad might be fun and valid.

Hopfully an option to choose whether movement or shooting is done with the Stylus... Having not played it that way, Im not sure which would be easier having more precise.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited May 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »

Hopfully an option to choose whether movement or shooting is done with the Stylus... Having not played it that way, Im not sure which would be easier having more precise.

a choice would be very nice i could see either way being fun and working if thats how they went with this. the game really seems analog stick dependant though. hell i punished myself to get 250,000 points the way its supposed to play...any harder and...people WILL DIE.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    no shit.

i can hit 4 million on the 360, but i doubt i could hit the equivalent of that with the remote.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
    edited May 2007
    no shit.

i can hit 4 million on the 360, but i doubt i could hit the equivalent of that with the remote.

you'd kick my ass man. I'd serenade you Pinball Wizard at 4 mill.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    edited May 2007
    no shit.

haha. my friends use to invite people over, get them fucked up, and have them watch me play geometry wars.

it blew their minds.

i like geometry wars so much that i actually drew a piece of fanart based on it. it took me over 24 hours to finish it.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    no shit.

haha. my friends use to invite people over, get them fucked up, and have them watch me play geometry wars.

it blew their minds.

i like geometry wars so much that i actually drew a piece of fanart based on it. it took me over 24 hours to finish it.

have you playted the Pinball game on XBLA arcade? I'm just curious as to how someone with your hand-eye coordination would do at pinball. I assume very well.

On my entire flist the highest score is 1.12 mill and he beats the cloest by a decent amount. 4 mill is out there :P cheers though i'm impressed

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    edited May 2007
    no shit.

it blew their minds.

have you playted the Pinball game on XBLA arcade? I'm just curious as to how someone with your hand-eye coordination would do at pinball. I assume very well.

On my entire flist the highest score is 1.12 mill and he beats the cloest by a decent amount. 4 mill is out there :P cheers though i'm impressed

i downloaded the trial, but i havent played it yet. ill give it a shot right now, im bored.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    no shit.

it blew their minds.

i downloaded the trial, but i havent played it yet. ill give it a shot right now, im bored.

trial sucks i think it dies after 10 million. which takes about 30 seconds if you've ever played pinball before.

thats a new trend it seems...the trials are fairly pathetic compared to the old 360 trails. I played centipede and after two stages it killed it. centipede stages last about 10 seconds apiece. I passed.

pinball is a good game though.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    edited May 2007
    yeah, i hit the limit pretty early on.

seems really fun, though on my sdtv i cant read what the challenges are.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    yeah, i hit the limit pretty early on.

seems really fun, though on my sdtv i cant read what the challenges are.

nar neither can anyone. best bet is to read the help on each table. but it doesnt give it all. I started a almost dead thread a few pages pages back for some mission advice. I am stuck on one only. no effing flashing lights on one particular Speed Machine mission. killing me.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Preview + screens - http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160512

Co-op confirmed!

bruin on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It ... uhhh .... looks like Geometry Wars, all right.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    no shit.

it blew their minds.

I take every chance I get to talk about Geometry Wars: RE. It's the perfect classic-style arcade game, IMO. I used to play it with the sound and music off while listening to gaming podcasts. Not to brag, but I'm pretty proud of my high score of 10 million.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    043 wrote: »
    [SIZE=+2]Wiiometry Wars.[/SIZE]

:^:

Scroll to the bottom

I'm I'm allowed no Wii-pun fun, nobody is :evil:

You forgot about how the Wii-puns are fucking retarded.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

Scroll to the bottom

Puns of any kind about any topic are completely awesome.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
    edited June 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »

Scroll to the bottom

Here my point is demonstrated perfectly.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2007

Scroll to the bottom

Simply pun-derful.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
    edited June 2007

Scroll to the bottom

Simply pun-derful.

Even Piers Anthony would cringe on that one...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I broke 100,000 on GW Steam today, does that make me awesome at all?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Considering the records have another three zeros at the end, not entirely.

yalborap on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Considering the records have another three zeros at the end, not entirely.
    At least one person has mastered the game and only stopped at 360 million because it is a pretty cool number.

FreddyD on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno, I just broke 800k today, I think I'm gonna shoot for the mil, but really, where do you go from there? D:

ArcticXC on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A million and one?

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2007
    How do you people do it? Is there some kind of strategy to the mess or is it just hope to get lucky?

I can't deal with those green things that run away from your bullets. Actually, I can't deal with anything in the game and just fly around hoping not to die.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How do you people do it? Is there some kind of strategy to the mess or is it just hope to get lucky?

I can't deal with those green things that run away from your bullets. Actually, I can't deal with anything in the game and just fly around hoping not to die.

There's a LOT of strategy, actually.

For the green guys, either take advantage of how your shots spread, or force them into corners.

yalborap on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just keep moving in circles, never stop, make sure to kill the black hole things, etc etc. http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xx_s78CiXQ

ArcticXC on
    edited June 2007

Scroll to the bottom

Simply pun-derful.

D:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Depending on if it has online similar to the 360, good controls, and a very cheap price point... Well, all those things will decide if I own this game or not.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
    edited June 2007
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Just keep moving in circles, never stop, make sure to kill the black hole things, etc etc. http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xx_s78CiXQ

I can't even comprehend that video.

Wow. Makes me see how much I suck.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm holding off on grabbing an Xbox until they fix them up proper and drop their price, so I'm glad this is coming to consoles I own.

Speed Racer on
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Preview + screens - http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160512

Co-op confirmed!

Looking at those screens, the grid seems simplified.

Peewi on
    edited June 2007

The fuck is that thing in the middle going around in circles on its own? Ive never even seen that occur whatever it is.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited June 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »

The fuck is that thing in the middle going around in circles on its own? Ive never even seen that occur whatever it is.

It's just a result of tons of enemies, gravity wells and the player movement. I think it's made up of those tiny pink squares, or perhaps a grouping of the blue "bees".

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg