As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters: Negative Fear Response to Spectral Apparitions, Guarrenteed

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    It's very funny to me they put the Ghostbusters into some expensive ass winter jackets but cheaped out on the radio.

At least they were easier to procure than my vintage Motorola MT500. I lucked out and got a lot off eBay years ago from the one seller that didn't know they could have charged triple the price if they wanted to.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It's all about what looks good on the big screen.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    New trailer tomorrow.

Still not quite feeling it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I don't like the music in the trailer but it looks fun and lighthearted.

I noticed there is a cool spinning one piece light on the back on the packs now instead of the four red lights and some kind of new glove gadget, it is nice to see them moving with the times.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It looks average, I still think the main new cast are all miscast apart from Egon's granddaughter, Rudd has never disappeared into a role in his life. I just hope it's better than Afterlife.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It looks like Jurassic Park 6. Rather than having faith in the new generation of Ghostbusters and maybe featuring ONE legacy character prominently (Winston, say), they are gonna have 9-10 people running around, getting one line a piece every 5 minutes. This leads to no one getting any development or having a really distinct personality besides "cheerful/funny, on the good guy side." You could charitably say the movie will be balanced around the new characters for 80% of it and then the legacy Busters all show up at the end, but that is also not good. Because that was already the ending of the last one and leads to the finale having no impact other than 8 or 9 costumed characters all firing a beam at the thing.

• Options
    I kinda agree but I doubt the orginal cast will be around for most of the movie, except maybe Winston.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I think this looks great

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's tough to tell from the trailers, because they're obviously going to play up "look at all the people we brought back!" I will say that I'd hoped Reitman had gotten a lot of that out of his system in Afterlife, so it's not promising that my reaction at the end of the trailer was, "oh good, he didn't say 'he slimed me'"

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I like to pretend Ghostbusters takes place as a sequel to Stripes, after they came back and used their GI Bill to scam their way into professorships in psychology.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    I am a bit confused by everyone constantly forgetting the Ghostbusters though

I can squint and excuse forgetting Ghostbusters 1 but the Statue of Liberty broke a giant pink dome!

NYC all got together and sang Jackie Wilson!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I can squint and excuse forgetting Ghostbusters 1 but the Statue of Liberty broke a giant pink dome!

You say this but look at anything that happened in the last few years. People forgot stuff super fast and then refuse to believe it is real even when there is footage of them being involved.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

You say this but look at anything that happened in the last few years. People forgot stuff super fast and then refuse to believe it is real even when there is footage of them being involved.

There's a built in solution for this, based on the last movie. "Even if there WERE Real, heroic Ghostbusters, you are idiotic young fanboys (and girls) with no training, degrees, etc. So we will definitely shut YOU down." This doesn't work as well when the original people who were there are the new characters' personal friends who show up on command to save the day.

• Options
    There is a youtube video in afterlife titled "how the 1984 ghosts were a hoax". I guess 30 years after the fact, the events were dismissed as urban legends or hoaxes. "Swamp gas causing hallucinations " or whatever Peck was talking about.

Bear in mind we don't see new york much at all in afterlife. The residents there probably remember it just fine but a small town halfway across the country that never saw a ghost probably won't believe it.

• Options
  • Options
    One the one hand, with the internet, there's no way people wouldn't know it was real.

On the other hand, with the internet, there's bound to be a bunch of hot-takers out there explaining how the official story is bullshit, and all you gullible rubes got played.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    On the other other hand, I could see the feds stepping in and suppressing media of the major events so that the Reds don’t take it as a sign of weakness and attack. (Local reports can be dismissed as fluff)

Or worse, reverse-engineer what happened and figure out how to summon Czernabog on the White House lawn.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    The reality is that the few cameras there for the ghosts, particularly Gozer, didn't see Gozer at all and were probably running from Stay Puft so there likely isn't a great deal of evidence outside of eye witnesses. Today absolutely you'd have ghosts on Tik Tok. Back then, "Oh yeah we just beat an androgynous mesopatamian God in high heels who was threatening the world, worship us".

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Here's a fun treat:
    Besides the newly-retrofitted proton packs we also see this:
    A neutrona-gauntlet/wrist-mounted wand that is being equipped by none-other than Janine Melnitz!
    CiUxh8f.jpg
    ZdBAOmK.jpg
    hYIDwDv.jpg

This mirrors not-only the original concept drawings for the original movie...
    5zUZKIP.png

...but some gear from the IDW comics as well!
    6N5s8pR.png
    LtphmTl.png

• Options
    Okay, I've been sick the past couple of days so I didn't bother posting my thoughts.
    Pros
    -I love how some of the special effects come across like they're puppets (I've heard they used practical effects a lot, but the effects still come across as too smooth CGI so I dunno. The awkward way the Library ghost moves her arms feels like someone has a metal rod attached to her wrist, and I love that they got Slimer right in that he isn't really that fast. Venkman was screaming for awhile before he got slimed, because Slimer kind of waddle-floats along.
    -Actually feels like they're expanding the mythos a bit with the research facility. Doing more than just catching ghosts like they're pests.
    -Feels like they're doing a better job with the humor over Afterlife.
    -I love the idea of the Ghostbusters having a cursed item buyback program. All they need to do is set up shop across the street from a curio shop run by the devil.
    -As always, it's about time that Janine got to suit up, and I love that little wristmounted blaster and the references it represents.
    -Absolutely love the shot of running a proton pack with the cover off. That absolutely whips and is something I totally have not seen before in a movie, cartoon or comic.
    -Credit where credit is due, that shot of the tricycle moving of it's own accord in a snowstorm is legit creepy.
    -Thank you for not having Winston say "We're the only ones.. with the tools and the talent" or have Trevor say "He slimed me." A little more restraint like that, please.

Cons:
    -They just can't let things go, can they? I had hoped we were finished with this with 2016 and Afterlife, but now we're bringing Walter Peck back too? And slimer AND the library ghost? Why the hell is the library ghost in this movie? And it's the little things, like Ray wearing the same plain clothes he was 40 years ago, or Venkman having that orange hutning jacket still, for some reason. I really hope, if this movie is successful, that they don't go back for a third bite of that apple; or if they do, at least move on to Ghostbusters 2.
    -Cast is too big and SOMEBODY is going to get short shrifted. You have the OG busters, the Spengler family and now the Ghostbusters support staff. Even with the length of modern movies, there's not going to be enough time for all of those characters.
    -"Ghostbusters, Whadya want" is an iconic line, but also one that had VERY specific setup to WHY Janine was so flippant over the phone. Please stop trying to make that a catch phrase.

Observations
    -Man, they really love turning the proton beam into a physical object that can be interacted with like it's a big rope or something. (Gozer whiping people around in Afterlife, the frozen beam in Frozen Empire
    -I know this is a lost cause, but every time they do a big Ecto-1 chase sequence it just feels out of place. Action was never what brought me to the franchise and it's not something they did often. (Basically the first ghost catch and then nothing until the big bad which always outclasses the Ghostbusters anyway, leaving the fight aggressively one-sided.) I understand that it's 2024 and people expect different things from movies, but it just makes me wonder what they could have spent that money on instead. (Or, you know, had a cheaper budget and thus and easier time of making a profit)

I was kind of down on it initially, but summing up my thoughts there was a lot more I liked than disliked.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    One the one hand, with the internet, there's no way people wouldn't know it was real.

On the other hand, with the internet, there's bound to be a bunch of hot-takers out there explaining how the official story is bullshit, and all you gullible rubes got played.

You mean Afterlife, or the originals? Because the latter were pretty much pre-internet. Even the video game.

There are full-grown adults today who barely know about 9/11 because they weren't alive or cognizant when it happened, so I can imagine a lot of people who weren't around then being skeptical.
    -I know this is a lost cause, but every time they do a big Ecto-1 chase sequence it just feels out of place. Action was never what brought me to the franchise and it's not something they did often. (Basically the first ghost catch and then nothing until the big bad which always outclasses the Ghostbusters anyway, leaving the fight aggressively one-sided.) I understand that it's 2024 and people expect different things from movies, but it just makes me wonder what they could have spent that money on instead. (Or, you know, had a cheaper budget and thus and easier time of making a profit)

This seems to be taking some influence (admitted influence, at that, if I remember correctly) from The Real Ghostbusters, which was a bit more action-oriented, so that's probably where that comes from.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    …. Are you seriously suggesting that I imagine the internet to have existed in ‘84?

There are news crews in the scene where the Ghostbusters go into the museum in ‘89. They made commercials. You can watch all type of shit from the late forties all the way through to today. You can watch Buster Keaton films and Chaplin. The Ghostbusters would be on YouTube.

• Options
    They are on YouTube, they look at them in Afterlife.

• Options
    Remember, Peck was already sowing the seeds of the Ghostbusters downfall with his claims against them.

Either A. A group of disgraced fringe scientists actually discovered ghosts are real, invented technology to deal with them, are real and then decided to start a ghost removal service COINCIDENTALLY at the same time as a MASSIVE upswell of ghost activity, culminating in a island wide distaster that also coincidentally happens as soon as they get into legal trouble.

or

B. A group of disgraced scientists become con artists, coming up with a scam to use hallucinogens to induce false ghost sightings, which they show up to solve with phony "ghostbusting" gear.

Getting the shit sued out of them by the city likely also damaged their reps.

Now, if Ghosts were showing up every day, everywhere, then yeah, not only would Ghostbusters being legitimized, but there'd be copycats and franchises out the wazoo; that's not what happens in the films though; unlike the cartoon or comic, Ghosts only show up en mass when something big is on the horizon (Gozer, Vigo, Gozer again, Garaka) and the rest of the time ghost activity appears to die down a lot, making it much easier to push the "ghosts are a hoax" theory. Especially to anyone not in New York.

Now how they explain away Stay Puft, the giant Slime Mold and moving the statue of liberty.. well, they're VERY GOOD con artists, and the ghosts dried up again.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    feels very much like they didn't really think through the hows and whys of why nobody remembers the Ghostbusters and instead mostly wanted to make a Ghostbusters version of the Force Awakens, where a new generation gets to discover that the heroes of the first movie were incredibly cool and amazing, so the parents that take their kids to the movie can feel appeased when the movie doesn't feature Bill Murray for most of the runtime

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    feels very much like they didn't really think through the hows and whys of why nobody remembers the Ghostbusters and instead mostly wanted to make a Ghostbusters version of the Force Awakens, where a new generation gets to discover that the heroes of the first movie were incredibly cool and amazing, so the parents that take their kids to the movie can feel appeased when the movie doesn't feature Bill Murray for most of the runtime

To be fair, this shit started in 1989 with Ghostbusters II.

Also, and I know this is heresy, but Walter Peck may not be the most reliable narrator when to comes to the Ghostbusters.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It is pretty stupid nobody remembers Stay Puft or the goddamn Statue of Liberty going for a walk through NYC.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Hasbro is apparently putting out an 1984 version of the Neutrona Wand.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostbusters-plasma-series-neutrona-wand-1984

It's cheaper than the Afterlife version, but also features slightly less stuff (less paint wear deco and no "cloth" on the handle).

Been thinking about getting a second wand since the v1 I have has a flaw that can cause it to stop functioning properly (internal wire wears out, I understand.) You WILL have to suffer with the orange cap, so get some silver paint ready.

Curious if they'll do a 1984 Proton Pack haslab.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Well that saves me having to convert mine.

• Options
    edited February 5
    Only ships to the US and Canada.
    Ignore that, it was available (sold out now)

Amazon have the afterlife version for 128 pounds but I'm not a fan of that one. Much prefer the older look.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    edited February 5
    So after narrowly missing out on the Ectolabs belt gizmo, gizmos have been drying up pretty well on the internet and the few I've found for not crazy prices have been nonfunctional and so.. rudimentary that I think I'd have a better shot just making one myself. I'm thinking maybe an old NES cartridge board might be a good base.

EDIT: Oh wait, NES cartridges are like 50% empty space, so that's not gonna work.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I've been sourpussing modern Ghostbusters a lot in this thread, but I wanted to take the time to highlight something that's got me super hyped and it's just a small thing, but it's the shot of Pheobe from behind with the exposed cyclotron.

In addition to looking rad, it also looks unhinged.. dangerous in a way that the proton packs haven't really felt since that fateful day when Egon switched one on in an elevator and promptly shuffled as far away from it as possible. After that they become fairly rote, aside from occasionally being turned into a bomb in the cartoon or comic, but this is the first time I've looked at a proton pack and actually had a "People should not be around this thing while it's operating." sensation.

• Options
    The new "Old" wands showed up from Hasbro. Pretty good. It is the same basic pieces, just classic grips. Might hit up the grips with some black spray as the worn "texture" on them is a little weak. Got two. One for me and one for my nephew.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I will continue sourpussing new Ghostbusters because it's empty nostalgia that treats the original movies like holy scripture.

Afterlife made me like Ghostbusters less.

• Options
    I took some inspiration from the new alternate logos they're putting into the new movie and made some versions for my franchise.

cmmktu0xh56a.png
    They're all on sale right now so if people think they're cool feel free to rep 'em.
    https://www.teepublic.com/user/atlghostbusters

We also did a small run of red/black patches for the jackets.
    oy1ew5jxmqst.jpg

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I will continue sourpussing new Ghostbusters because it's empty nostalgia that treats the original movies like holy scripture.

Afterlife made me like Ghostbusters less.

Would it have been better if one of the kids had been a musician? Maybe Phoebe could have been a prodigy at the tiny violin?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Not thrilled my attempt to reduce the amount of negativity in this thread has devolved into a slapfight.