As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I am incapable of enjoying anime, it’s a thing, no worries 👍

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Anime is hit or miss with me. I remember being absolutely enamored with it as a teen in the late 90’s, cause I’d never seen cartoons with adult themes or high quality animation. Akira was my first, which Jerry referenced in season four, and that led me down the road to other, more or less, popular anime. What I appreciated the most about the genre is how it influenced western animation in both mature themes and action directing.

Which brings me back to the Netflix Voltron series; I think it strikes a fantastic balance between themes that an adult can appreciate, yet is appropriate for children whilst also having pretty damn good animation and visual storytelling that is very much influenced by past anime.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    notya wrote: »

WOWWWW. How are none of ya'll commenting on this 15 minute episode that just appeared to us? So random.

That was hot garbage

Just completely and thoroughly awful

Anime might not be your bag Atomika. I think it's great, and it's 100% Japanese homage to Rick and Morty rather than an American take on Japanese tropes. It's 180 out from what South Park did with Princess Kenny in that regard.

I don't quite know enough about Japanese tropes to pick up on everything, but I know enough to get a sense of familiarity. Like Japanese Rick seems to take a lot of inspiration from the archetype embodied by characters like Ghost in the Shell's Aramaki or Princess Mononoke's Jiko (e: or Gendo, how could I forget!). Japanese Morty seems to have a lot more optimism and faith in his Grandpa like the classic Shonen hero. "Hot garbage" is a certainly a take, but I don't agree with it. As an homage (which all of theses shorts from Sato seem to be) I might go as far as Masterful.

I definitely enjoyed the first and now this second episode of the Sato anime inspired Rick and Morty shorts. They're lampooning a lot of Japanese shounen super robot tropes, sure, but it's also an homage and almost a love letter too to that genre of anime.

I felt kinda nostalgic watching it, to be honest, as it gave me a lot of FLCL and Gainax vibes. Yeah, it's often nonsensical and pretentious and overly up its own ass in supposed cool techno-babble pseudo-religious lore that they constantly reference and never fully explain but that's the point, is my takeaway.

Back to the real episode, I love how the ferrets are never explained (unless I missed something). I mean, flying space ferrets make as much sense as flying space lions, I suppose.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I thought it was convenient that Rick pissed off the government so close Thanksgiving when he can get a pardon, then I realized he probably specifically planned it that way in case something went wrong.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    notya wrote: »

WOWWWW. How are none of ya'll commenting on this 15 minute episode that just appeared to us? So random.

That was hot garbage

Just completely and thoroughly awful

Anime might not be your bag Atomika. I think it's great, and it's 100% Japanese homage to Rick and Morty rather than an American take on Japanese tropes. It's 180 out from what South Park did with Princess Kenny in that regard.

I don't quite know enough about Japanese tropes to pick up on everything, but I know enough to get a sense of familiarity. Like Japanese Rick seems to take a lot of inspiration from the archetype embodied by characters like Ghost in the Shell's Aramaki or Princess Mononoke's Jiko (e: or Gendo, how could I forget!). Japanese Morty seems to have a lot more optimism and faith in his Grandpa like the classic Shonen hero. "Hot garbage" is a certainly a take, but I don't agree with it. As an homage (which all of theses shorts from Sato seem to be) I might go as far as Masterful.

I definitely enjoyed the first and now this second episode of the Sato anime inspired Rick and Morty shorts. They're lampooning a lot of Japanese shounen super robot tropes, sure, but it's also an homage and almost a love letter too to that genre of anime.

I felt kinda nostalgic watching it, to be honest, as it gave me a lot of FLCL and Gainax vibes. Yeah, it's often nonsensical and pretentious and overly up its own ass in supposed cool techno-babble pseudo-religious lore that they constantly reference and never fully explain but that's the point, is my takeaway.

Back to the real episode, I love how the ferrets are never explained (unless I missed something). I mean, flying space ferrets make as much sense as flying space lions, I suppose.

Legally distinct from Voltron.

Full cold open for the next episode.

https://youtu.be/AvgqcKOXSUE

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

You'd think the line in the grass would've healed by now at least.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I choose to believe that the weaker episodes of this season were because they had to do extra work in writing this episode.

Handkor on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    This was a good episode. Lots of backstory finally.

Looks like Beth dying wasn't a total lie?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This was a terrific episode.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I like Halo 3. Totally unrelated

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited August 2021
    I'm a bit confused how Rick learned about the baby if he didn't know about the baby before he went in. The dialogue is going so fast, is it meant to be something Bird Person knows about but is locked away?

So now it's canonical that this isn't Rick's original family. Sounds like he never had a Jerry, Morty, or Summer at all.

EDIT: Other canonical things, kid Rick's home has a photo outside with two adults and a young girl who looks like Beth. So maybe Rick had a sister? He also really likes dinosaurs, has already designed his ship, and obligatory infinity symbol race track. Wait nevermind, that's not young Beth's hair, it's the background XD, just Rick.

AlphaRomero on
    I mean, it hasn’t been Rick’s family since the love potion episode

But yeah, there’s been lots of nods to just about every character not being from Rick’s timeline

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I think the implication is that the baby was born before becoming a cyborg and the empire purposely buried the knowledge to keep BP compliant.

Quid on
    I'm a bit confused how Rick learned about the baby if he didn't know about the baby before he went in. The dialogue is going so fast, is it meant to be something Bird Person knows about but is locked away?

Yes, the Ricks entered into the part of Birdperson's mind that the Galactic government specifically isolated when they made him a cyborg.

And while the rest of the Smith family has not been Rick's for awhile, this is the first suggestion that his Morty isn't HIS Morty.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Yes, the Ricks entered into the part of Birdperson's mind that the Galactic government specifically isolated when they made him a cyborg.

And while the rest of the Smith family has not been Rick's for awhile, this is the first suggestion that his Morty isn't HIS Morty.

And now we know that "our" Rick never had a Morty to begin with because his Beth died young. The way his younger self phrased that to, "You're not one of those weirdos that moves in with abandoned adult versions of our dead daughter?" makes it seem like even though we've seen tons and tons of variations on the Smith family we know, those might actually be less common that the Ricks whose daughters died younger.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I mean, it makes sense in the infinite universe, there are Ricks that never got to have families, and there are families that have been abandoned by their Ricks, (or their Rick is dead) leaving a gap for Grandpa Rick to "come back and reunite with the family" to try and lay low/regain some humanity/see what'd it would be like.

EDIT: It does have the unfortunate side effect of propagating the seeming theme of this season "This Rick and these Smiths aren't special or unique in any way. We just watch them cause they're entertaining"

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

And now we know that "our" Rick never had a Morty to begin with because his Beth died young. The way his younger self phrased that to, "You're not one of those weirdos that moves in with abandoned adult versions of our dead daughter?" makes it seem like even though we've seen tons and tons of variations on the Smith family we know, those might actually be less common that the Ricks whose daughters died younger.

Alternatively, it means that our Rick is the major outlier, because he didn't join up with everyone else in that origin story.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Next episode's not 'til next month, and it's a double length season finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMdKUIO3seQ
    I would still watch Rick and Two Crows.

H9f4bVe.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    At least Morty is better than just one crow.

edited August 2021
    Jerry (Spin Again)

I feel we missed out on Rick and a Bag of Meat

JusticeforPluto on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I'd watch Rick and Half a Paul Giamatti (Which half just might surprise you)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • brainfacebrainface Registered User regular
    I'd count my life at success upon achieving Half a Paul Giamatti status, personally.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Best episode of the season for sure. Squanchy's stand up comedy phase was hilariously out of left field

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Oh god Im a memory I watched all thisbstand up for nothing!

Also I hope young Idealist Rick is a recurring character now.

Sounded like he would of chosen death over getting a beer with himself.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Sounded like he would of chosen death over getting a beer with himself.

No, he chose getting a beer with his older self and *then* death over having to become him.

Is this the first time we've had it established that Rick's beth actually died young?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is this the first time we've had it established that Rick's beth actually died young?

Well there is this from the season 3 premiere, which may actually be canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUI17c8KDw

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Yeah, at the time I thought Rick was just messing with the agent to be a dick (as he likes to do), but it's possible that is actually what happened to him.

Intriguing.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Where the fuck has this been the past five episodes!? This episode was absolutely fantastic.

Also super damn interesting how hard in they went with confirming things from Rick's past. I'm really intrigued with what they're gonna do with him in the finale cause they seem to be teeing off on a major redefining of his relations with everyone.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2021
    Wrong thread

Atomika on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, at the time I thought Rick was just messing with the agent to be a dick (as he likes to do), but it's possible that is actually what happened to him.

Intriguing.

That scene led to my favorite part of my favorite rant.

"I've not driven by avenging my dead family, Morty! That was fake! I'm driven by getting that fucking mcnugget sauce!"

Made better by the fact that Morty couldn't possibly know what Rick was referring to.

Not sure if it being real all along would make that funnier or less funny.

H9f4bVe.png
    It's interesting that Rick makes several attempts to keep Memory Rick around; he saves him from getting squashed and even calls his attention when he's about to leave. Did Rick have a fondness for his younger self, or did he just want to prove his younger self wrong?

It's interesting that Rick makes several attempts to keep Memory Rick around; he saves him from getting squashed and even calls his attention when he's about to leave. Did Rick have a fondness for his younger self, or did he just want to prove his younger self wrong?

I think a version of himself that was based on his best friends highest opinion of him is the only version he could really like.

• RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I like that Bird Person always calls Rick out on his BS. Rick wants a relationship with someone now, unlike in the Old man and The Seat where he would put anyone trying to get close to him in the Matrix. He wants friends but he doesn't know how to be a good friend. I think he likes Memory Rick because Memory Rick knows how to be a friend because its Bird Person's Memory. I thought the last 2 episodes were fairly lame this one was pretty good.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    I like that Bird Person always calls Rick out on his BS. Rick wants a relationship with someone now, unlike in the Old man and The Seat where he would put anyone trying to get close to him in the Matrix. He wants friends but he doesn't know how to be a good friend. I think he likes Memory Rick because Memory Rick knows how to be a friend because its Bird Person's Memory. I thought the last 2 episodes were fairly lame this one was pretty good.

He tells of his AI when it suggests swooping into another dimension to grab another BP.

"nothing matters" is not the battle cry it used to be for him.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Doesn't he outright or as near as say he loves Bird Person? Like I thought it was building to a whole homosexual love reveal.

edited August 2021
    Doesn't he outright or as near as say he loves Bird Person? Like I thought it was building to a whole homosexual love reveal.

When they locked arms over each others shoulders so they could fly into the air, spinning around, shooting everyone, I was honestly shocked they didn't finish it with a kiss.

Shortly after that, when Rick and Birdperson have a falling out, Young Rick goes "Why do you want to save that asshole?" and Old Rick responds with "Because you love him."

Whether that's romantic love or platonic love, the episode doesn't specify.

Undead Scottsman on
    I think its platonic love which given its Rick is probably just as rare