As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread: Back to your backlogs

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Valve goes the Konami route and Half Life 3 is a slot machine.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Well, thanks to @Karoz, now I don't have an excuse for putting off playing more Dark Souls III . . .
    kl2esqe3ndn6.jpg

Thanks! :heartbeat:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Karoz I'm save scumming just to piss you off.
    9njenwqd78fc.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Though at this point I think it might just be they don't have a good idea of how to monetize it. (Remember how Portal 2 has an in-game store for crap to wear in coop?)

The easiest way to monetize a game is to make a game and then sell it for sixty dollars. I don't think a company like Valve has to be particularly profit driven from an individual game standpoint when their digital distribution platform makes four to five billion dollars a year.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    You could say the same thing about Portal 2, but here we are.

Aside from the Lab (which was for pushing hardware sales) what was the last game Valve released that didn't have microtransactions? (or was a literal arcade machine) Left 4 Dead 2 in 2009? Or Alien Swarm in 2010 if you count that.

EDIT: I mean, it's nice to imagine Valve is a company that would be happy with the money its making now, but if modern history has shown us anything, it's that there are a LOT of rich people who are gravely concerned with how to become even richer.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Valve really shit the bed with Artifact. They may be gun shy here.

I could see a lot of DLC or mini games or whatever though. Like if the game is just a big science lab sandbox, they release other rooms or wings over time.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hopefully Romancing Saga games go on sale during the next sale in a few days.

Knowing there are classic Square RPGs out there I never played is like finding buried pirate treasure.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Theres a remote play sale starting today with a bunch of "couch co-op" games on sale to show off the remote play feature.

There should be a small Thanksgiving sale next week with the big event next month.

But brand new games either dont participate or dont usually go above the 10% discount they release at.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have reached asia.

Last region before the end region.

Titan quest is fun

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So nearly a haiku.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    So nearly a haiku.

If only it were snowing on mt fuji.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Knowing there are classic Square RPGs out there I never played is like finding buried pirate treasure.

Those games are reportedly notoriously tough and obtuse, but I guess that's something the SaGa series is known for. I only ever played through the first SaGa game, which was released in the US as Final Fantasy Legend for Game Boy. I really enjoyed it, but I had the patience of a 13-year old at the time.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    SteevL wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Those games are reportedly notoriously tough and obtuse, but I guess that's something the SaGa series is known for. I only ever played through the first SaGa game, which was released in the US as Final Fantasy Legend for Game Boy. I really enjoyed it, but I had the patience of a 13-year old at the time.
    I played Final Fantasy II, the weird ass inspiration for these games. I can take what Romancing Saga has to throw at me.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    It is just occurred to me that Dynasty Warriors has re mixed the same story over and over since the play station 2 era.

Now with the untold story of the might warrior, some guy that poured Lu Bu tea.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It is just occurred to me that Dynasty Warriors has re mixed the same story over and over since the play station 2 era.

Now with the untold story of the might warrior, some guy that poured Lu Bu tea.

Really?

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    @karoz gifted me Pyre today because he's a kind man and a good dude.

Thanks Karoz :)

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

That doesn't sound like the Karoz I know.

<3

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Rude

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Pyre is pretty great. If you don't believe me, see my avatar :P

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Cross-postin' from the HL thread:

https://youtu.be/O2W0N3uKXmo

March 2020 is going to be a nutty month in gaming release history.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cross-postin' from the HL thread:

https://youtu.be/O2W0N3uKXmo

March 2020 is going to be a nutty month in gaming release history.
    Its sad as hell to see Alyx on a quest to
    Save her dad knowing he's just going to die anyway right in front of her anyway.

Thats life in the Half Life universe for you though.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    VR game with a blasian female protagonist by a company thats going to make it their holiday killer app.

Really wish Remember me had got the hype it deserved.

Taking risks (which the industry has done) doesnt mean much if not supported by a proper advertising effort (Brutal Legend)

• Options
    Put this in the Half Life 3 reveal trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

*insert air guitar gif*

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    That video depresses me since it's not HL3 and I don't have VR.
    But it looked good, and man it was cool to see G-Man creeping from the shadows.
    Grr!

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Serial Cleaner is free right now on humble bundle. Also they are doing their fall sale I guess.

2iy2w6kwhjow.jpg

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    I looked up "serial" in steam to find the game.

Something popped up in suggestions with the word "sexy" in it.

It is a unity flip.

I have lost some brain cells.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Iconoclasts has been a lot of fun so far.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Iconoclasts has been a lot of fun so far.

I quite enjoyed it! I guess there were mixed opinions about it, but I thought it nailed its themes pretty well and had lots of interesting characters and dialog.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Aside from the Lab (which was for pushing hardware sales) what was the last game Valve released that didn't have microtransactions? (or was a literal arcade machine) Left 4 Dead 2 in 2009? Or Alien Swarm in 2010 if you count that.

EDIT: I mean, it's nice to imagine Valve is a company that would be happy with the money its making now, but if modern history has shown us anything, it's that there are a LOT of rich people who are gravely concerned with how to become even richer.

Unless I missed them, DOTA Underlords (2019). I went looking for them, but couldn’t find any micro transactions. There’s that beta battle pass, but there isn’t a separate paid track or anything it like many of it’s ilk. It just gives you stuff for playing.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Unless I missed them, DOTA Underlords (2019). I went looking for them, but couldn’t find any micro transactions. There’s that beta battle pass, but there isn’t a separate paid track or anything it like many of it’s ilk. It just gives you stuff for playing.

I can almost guarantee you that micro transactions are going to come to Underlords at some point, even if it's just using the pre-existing DOTA economy.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is there something going on with mobile Steam?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Finally bit the bullet and updated Steam, so now I've got the new UI.

I really hope they can get rid of the lag when scrolling up and down the games list (left pane).

The rest, well, I figured I'd have to get used to it eventually. Which might take a little while.

Edit: After a bit of fumbling around Google, cropping images and searching out transparent PNGs, I've at least managed to pretty up the pages for the Mass Effect trilogy. That makes me feel a little better.
    5g8ttmgmqb78.jpg
    881jmpdrwpvj.jpg
    auy1f9wqeb7q.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Hah, I made a joke about it, but the Alyx logo's Y is actually the half life lambda upside-down in the logo in the trailer. Also, it sounds like Index owners will get the game for free.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I finally got time to install an SSD I bought last year and never installed, only...i can't find it in my house. I found the SATA cables I was going to use to install the SSD, but not the SSD.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    d4091zjjnhzz.png

@karoz did this thing. So I can... shoot bikini-clad terrorists?

Thanks, monster <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That's messed up.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Like, what’s going on in a game called Hentai Sniper.

So many possibilities.

This discussion has been closed.