[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

11617192122

Posts

  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Opinions are opinions, and you're not wrong for not liking something, of course.

    I think "Groundhog Day, but everyone is unlikable" is a fairly inaccurate description, because aside from "stuff keeps repeating", it's very different in tone, theme, message and story, and the longer run time allows it to explore the mythology and philosophy of the central conceit in a way Groundhog Day never attempts.

    Groundhog Day is a funny and touching movie about a guy who has to learn to be better in order to stop reliving the same day. Russian Doll goes a lot deeper than that. I wouldn't say it's better, because it's not trying to be the same thing.

    But you either enjoy something or you don't, and if you're not enjoying it after 3 episodes, you probably won't, so I'd tap out, too.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    GiantGeek2020AbsoluteZeroHappylilElftynicN1tSt4lkerGnizmoStabbity StyleDracomicron
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    The only show that’s ever really gotten me down because I hate all the characters is Everybody Loves Raymond.

    AbsoluteZeroDonnictonAlphaRomerourahonky
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    The only show that’s ever really gotten me down because I hate all the characters is Everybody Loves Raymond.

    So in point of fact everybody did not love Raymond.

    Biscuits 3:16 "food Jesus is dead and you killed him"
    AbsoluteZeroAlphaRomeroRhesus PositiveSyngyneElJeffeshrykeStabbity StyleSatanIsMyMotorKruitesyndalis
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    My point was more that a satisfying narrative about unlikeable people becoming more likeable (because you know them better, because you understand their reasons, and/or because they actually become better people) often requires them to be really unlikeable for a significant portion of the running time. Now, Russian Doll is essentially a 6-hour movie and Groundhog Day is less than a third of that, so sure, there's a bit of a difference there. And I'm not judging anybody for quitting a piece of media they're not vibing with halfway through. But if somebody told me "I stopped watching Groundhog Day halfway through because Bill Murray is such an asshole" I'd be like, "but that's kind of the point? maybe wait a while?"

    ACsTqqK.jpg
    Ketar
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    I too got tired of Russian Doll but I skipped to the end and thought that was pretty good!

    s586cu2r93hr.gif
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I too got tired of Russian Doll but I skipped to the end and thought that was pretty good!

    Whereas I didn't like the end!
    I was really looking forward to an explanation. Russian Doll does many good things, but "explain what is happening" is not really one of those. That's what I kind of speculated and cared about the most watching the series.

    Shrug, I still enjoyed it overall though. And I accept that some people would prefer the ending it had.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    kime wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I too got tired of Russian Doll but I skipped to the end and thought that was pretty good!

    Whereas I didn't like the end!
    I was really looking forward to an explanation. Russian Doll does many good things, but "explain what is happening" is not really one of those. That's what I kind of speculated and cared about the most watching the series.

    Shrug, I still enjoyed it overall though. And I accept that some people would prefer the ending it had.
    I mean, it's never explained in Groundhog Day either.

    EDIT: I know there's a feeling of mystery and wonder that is part of the compelling part of watching a show like Russian Doll, but by the end of it all it was the strong performances that kept me engaged and are what make me recommend it.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    HappylilElf
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mean bill Murray's got so much effortless charisma it doesn't matter that he's playing a jerk, he's still insanely watchable.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    AlphaRomeroAbsoluteZeroGiantGeek2020GnizmoSiska
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I feel the same way about Natasha Lyonne, honestly. I could watch her verbally abuse people for days.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    tynicKoopahTroopahN1tSt4lkerjoshofalltradesSmrtnikMegaMan001TychoCelchuuuDoodmannHappylilElfGnizmoStabbity StyleRhesus PositiveAtaxrxesSiskaDracomicronLaOs
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Opinions are opinions, and you're not wrong for not liking something, of course.

    I think "Groundhog Day, but everyone is unlikable" is a fairly inaccurate description, because aside from "stuff keeps repeating", it's very different in tone, theme, message and story, and the longer run time allows it to explore the mythology and philosophy of the central conceit in a way Groundhog Day never attempts.

    Groundhog Day is a funny and touching movie about a guy who has to learn to be better in order to stop reliving the same day. Russian Doll goes a lot deeper than that. I wouldn't say it's better, because it's not trying to be the same thing.

    But you either enjoy something or you don't, and if you're not enjoying it after 3 episodes, you probably won't, so I'd tap out, too.

    In fairness wasn't it the end of episode 4 where it had the big turning point? That's where I went from watching 1 episode per day and being kind of lukewarm on it, to binging it to the end.

    steam_sig.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    There's not a lot in media that really gets to me anymore but the McPoyles are one of the few things that can make it legitimately uncomfortable to watch. The actors lean into the roles so completely, they're excellent.

    Just rewatched the marriage episode, the massacre at.ponderosas wedding i believe, the way they portray that whole family is so out there and awesome

  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    There's not a lot in media that really gets to me anymore but the McPoyles are one of the few things that can make it legitimately uncomfortable to watch. The actors lean into the roles so completely, they're excellent.

    Just rewatched the marriage episode, the massacre at.ponderosas wedding i believe, the way they portray that whole family is so out there and awesome

    Doing that whole episode as a zombie movie parody was brilliant.

    RickRude
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Rediscovered Limitless on Netflix. I loved that show. Still amazed they took a movie that was released several years in the past and made it into a great show. I guess it’s the power of Bradley Cooper.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    N1tSt4lkerTheBlackWind
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Rediscovered Limitless on Netflix. I loved that show. Still amazed they took a movie that was released several years in the past and made it into a great show. I guess it’s the power of Bradley Cooper.

    It’s one of my favourite ‘cancelled in the first season’ shows, up with John Doe and Firefly.

    steam_sig.png
    lwt1973Moridin889N1tSt4lker
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think you know that's not true. Also, Groundhog Day didn't make me want to stop halfway through.

    Bill Murray is unlikable throughout that entire movie til basically the end.

    He may be, but the statement is still false because everyone else in Groundhog Day is almost always decent and likable. The only douche is the cameraman and it later seems to be he is only that way because of Bill Murray being a dick with him.

    I never had a problem with anyone but Murray in that film and that was true the entire time.

    AbsoluteZero
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I have definitely stopped watching shows because of disliking everybody in it. I remember trying to watch Death Note, by the end of the second or maybe third episode I was hoping everyone in it ended up dead, but didn't want to watch the rest to find out if that happened.

    AbsoluteZeroTheBlackWind
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I have definitely stopped watching shows because of disliking everybody in it. I remember trying to watch Death Note, by the end of the second or maybe third episode I was hoping everyone in it ended up dead, but didn't want to watch the rest to find out if that happened.

    I did the same but it wasn't cause the characters were unlikable. It was because the writing was brain-meltingly bad.

  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

    "Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

    Send post.

    TexiKenlwt1973ObiFettshrykeemp123HappylilElfGiantGeek2020kimeTheBlackWind
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

    "Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

    Send post.

    I...can't wait until Wednesday when this stupid show it on. I saw it pop up on Netflix and as a joke I watched the first one. Now I'm caught up and wish I could just binge it and be done. It's such a disaster but I can't look away.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    ObiFettSatanIsMyMotorkimeTheBlackWind
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 13
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

    "Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

    Send post.

    I...can't wait until Wednesday when this stupid show it on. I saw it pop up on Netflix and as a joke I watched the first one. Now I'm caught up and wish I could just binge it and be done. It's such a disaster but I can't look away.

    Its such a dumb show, but it hooked me when they showed that the players can catfish. That was a good enough hook for me. And it paid off when Rebecca (aka Seaburn) [episode 6ish spoilers?]
    got pulled into that girl's only chat and then had to talk about periods. Just the greatest.

    ObiFett on
    SatanIsMyMotor
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, started watching the new season of Saiki K. Still a great show! Everyone should watch it! Took a second for me to get back into the high paced dialog and unique sense of humor, but it's still quite funny! Highly recommended for everyone! I don't know if the dub is as good as the sub, but maybe?

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    GiantGeek2020
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    ObiFett wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

    "Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

    Send post.

    I...can't wait until Wednesday when this stupid show it on. I saw it pop up on Netflix and as a joke I watched the first one. Now I'm caught up and wish I could just binge it and be done. It's such a disaster but I can't look away.

    Its such a dumb show, but it hooked me when they showed that the players can catfish. That was a good enough hook for me. And it paid off when Rebecca (aka Seaburn) [episode 6ish spoilers?]
    got pulled into that girl's only chat and then had to talk about periods. Just the greatest.

    That was absolutely hilarious. I also went from hating Joey to basically wanting a Joey stuffed animal in the span of one episode.

    edit: It does seem unfair that they add contestants to the show. Don't get me wrong, I love the endless parade of morons they're bringing on, but I'd be pissed if I was there from the beginning.

    SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 13
    ObiFett wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

    "Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

    Send post.

    I...can't wait until Wednesday when this stupid show it on. I saw it pop up on Netflix and as a joke I watched the first one. Now I'm caught up and wish I could just binge it and be done. It's such a disaster but I can't look away.

    Its such a dumb show, but it hooked me when they showed that the players can catfish. That was a good enough hook for me. And it paid off when Rebecca (aka Seaburn) [episode 6ish spoilers?]
    got pulled into that girl's only chat and then had to talk about periods. Just the greatest.

    That was absolutely hilarious. I also went from hating Joey to basically wanting a Joey stuffed animal in the span of one episode.

    edit: It does seem unfair that they add contestants to the show. Don't get me wrong, I love the endless parade of morons they're bringing on, but I'd be pissed if I was there from the beginning.

    I thought the opposite, actually. It seems the original players have formed a pact or in-group that seems impenetrable by the new players. New players are at the bottom of the rankings nearly all the time and seem to be sent home almost exclusively now.

    edit: And Joey has 100% grown on me. I thought for sure I'd hate him, but both him and Shoobie just seem like genuinely good people.

    ObiFett on
    lwt1973TheBlackWind
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    That's a good point I hadn't considered.
    It's also likely 99% scripted considering nobody has been randomly messaged while they were on the shitter or something like that.

  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    About to watch The Irishman for 3 hours and 29 minutes. Wish me luck.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    About to watch The Irishman for 3 hours and 29 minutes. Wish me luck.

    I recommend lots of caffeine. I had to stop several times to get more tea because I was falling asleep. .

    camo_sig.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Irishman sounds like a good movie to watch while playing a round of Civilization 6

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    DanHibikiStabbity StyleknitdanurahonkyKoopahTroopah
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I just finished episode 6 of Watchman. This is a whole lot of show, definitely not what I was expecting. I still don't really know where it's going but goddamn it's compelling.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    The only show that’s ever really gotten me down because I hate all the characters is Everybody Loves Raymond.

    I had to stop watching the Walking Dead about half way through season 2 because I was rooting for the zombies to eat all those assholes.

    BlackDragon480KoopahTroopahSmrtnikDonnictonJebusUDAbsoluteZero
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I have that DVD

  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »
    The only show that’s ever really gotten me down because I hate all the characters is Everybody Loves Raymond.

    I had to stop watching the Walking Dead about half way through season 2 because I was rooting for the zombies to eat all those assholes.

    Season 2 was the low point. It got better, then got bad again around season 7 and I checked out. Not sure how the show is now.

    emp123
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »
    The only show that’s ever really gotten me down because I hate all the characters is Everybody Loves Raymond.

    I had to stop watching the Walking Dead about half way through season 2 because I was rooting for the zombies to eat all those assholes.

    Season 2 was the low point. It got better, then got bad again around season 7 and I checked out. Not sure how the show is now.

    Season 2 was a brutal slog watching week to week, but binging through it was okay. Not as painful as I had remembered anyway (I also gave up because of season 2 then ended up starting over a couple years later as a group thing).

    camo_sig2.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Season 2 of TWD was unfortunately just a local minimum.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    KoopahTroopah
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I can talk about this. Season 7 is pretty garbage, and so is season 8. Season 9 however is a really good return to form. They somehow made the whisperers seem like a really powerful opposition without being too unrealistic. They also do like two much needed time skips in Season 9. I'm only an episode or two into 10, but it seems like it keeps the freshness up from S9.

    Steam: Koopah - Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
    RickRude
  • DeadfallDeadfall Registered User regular
    The gang trying to beat the Boggs record is in my top three.

    "Put it on the Boggs account." Is a line that has made it into my casual everyday conversations.

    Dee calling him Boss Hogg the entire episode. And then when she hallucinates Boss Hogg she calls him Boss Hoss.

    The gang buys a boat is another classic.

    And I love the gang goes to the water park.

    BFzWh4r.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    www.hoptonogood.com - Beer/Adventure/Life
    caligynefobjkylefultonRickRude
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Peak Sunny is a myth!

    I think Season 1 Episode 1, The Gang Gets Racist is still one of the best episodes.

    I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard at The Implications than at anything else on TV.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Because Dennis is a bastard man

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    caligynefob
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    Started the second season of Kim's Convenience. Still a delightful show. The bit with the photos they gave to Janet and Gerald when she moved in with him was glorious ("and for you, just me"), and maybe the only time I can remember the overprotective dad bit being just funny and not creepy.

  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
    AbsoluteZeroemp123
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    diaper time!

Sign In or Register to comment.