As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    Sabrina kinda went off the rails for me in part 3. So many weird plot decisions, bad acting, and cheap sets/decorations. I enjoyed parts 1 and 2, and I'll probably check out part 4, but I'm not too excited for it anymore...

Part 1 was doing the “I was only trying to help” way to much for me but I finished it. Part 2 was better. I’m in the beginning of part 3 and so far it’s meh. It doesn’t help that the actress playing Sabrina annoys me for some reason. I think it’s her voice but I’m not really sure. Their singing episodes have been cringe worthy to me compared to other series. I love the Aunties though.
    Oh, I think Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina is great. She might have vocal fry which might be what you're thinking of.

I also enjoy Michelle Gomez's evil teacher character, she seems to having fun hamming it up.

Best character: awkward queer film nerd. Not a whole lot of screen time so far, but the only time the show ever makes me think "this actually reminds me of when I was a teen" is when Lachlan Watson's character is nerding out over a movie.

The most frustrating thing about the show so far is how in the first few episodes characters will spout endless exposition at each other, explaining stuff they all know for the sake of the audience. It's a minor nitpick but, bleh, it's such an easy problem to avoid. Add a voiceover! Or have a clueless character who needs stuff explained to them.

Also I think the show has a weird lack of stakes so far. Like, in the early episodes Sabrina is desperately trying to figure out a way not to sign her name over to the devil, which might, in some other story, feel like a big scary threat, but in this story like half the main cast has signed themselves over to the devil and they seem to be doing alright, so that kinda deflates things a bit.

Favorite episode so far is probably the one with the trial. Going to trial against the devil with a
    defense attorney that made a deal with the devil to be the world's best defense attorney:
    pretty fun premise! Even if the ending was a bit of a devil ex machina

wandering on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obM-7HDnCQQ&feature=emb_title

Hulu's got a new show next Friday. Hunger Games meets The OA but with hip-hop??

WANT

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I actually kinda like the auto play feature as I don’t have to look up a trailer separately if I stumble upon something. Good thing they give people the choice though.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I didn't think I'd like Cheer, but dang what a well made little documentary!

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I bet the autoplay trailer data revealed the perfect scenario for Netflix. I would get frustrated with it after a minute and back out of the app. As long as I don't cancel, that's like running an insurance company. Profit goes up when the service goes unused.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I bet the autoplay trailer data revealed the perfect scenario for Netflix. I would get frustrated with it after a minute and back out of the app. As long as I don't cancel, that's like running an insurance company. Profit goes up when the service goes unused.

I ended up cancelling. The auto-play wasn't a deal breaker, but I didn't watch enough Netflix to make it worthwhile.
    I started browsing shows less after the auto-play feature, so maybe it contributed a bit.

Netflix warned me that they gonna delete all my preferences in the fall if I don't resubscribe before then.
    World of Warcraft did the same threat back in the day and I didn't come back to that in 10 years after they deleted my characters.
    Lets see how that works for Netflix.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Well it isn't as if autoplay features in any medium have historically been universally criticized and lead to drop in consumer engagement.

Wait. /Checks notes.

Huh, that's exactly what happened in internet advertising over the last decade?

Not sure why you think we wouldn't know if autoplay lead to a drop in engagement or retention. Clearly it didn't, otherwise it wouldn't have been a feature for so long.

Not arguing that point, but it did lead to me personally having next to no engagement, because for whatever reason autoplaying stuff (only on netflix!) would cause my PC to hardlock, regardless of what browser I used. So I'm super stoked about being able to disable that, and frustrated it took so long.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    jammu wrote: »

I ended up cancelling. The auto-play wasn't a deal breaker, but I didn't watch enough Netflix to make it worthwhile.
    I started browsing shows less after the auto-play feature, so maybe it contributed a bit.

Netflix warned me that they gonna delete all my preferences in the fall if I don't resubscribe before then.
    World of Warcraft did the same threat back in the day and I didn't come back to that in 10 years after they deleted my characters.

Well in this case it’s not a threat and it’s data privacy law. So, cool?
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Well it isn't as if autoplay features in any medium have historically been universally criticized and lead to drop in consumer engagement.

Wait. /Checks notes.

Huh, that's exactly what happened in internet advertising over the last decade?

Not sure why you think we wouldn't know if autoplay lead to a drop in engagement or retention. Clearly it didn't, otherwise it wouldn't have been a feature for so long.

Not arguing that point, but it did lead to me personally having next to no engagement, because for whatever reason autoplaying stuff (only on netflix!) would cause my PC to hardlock, regardless of what browser I used. So I'm super stoked about being able to disable that, and frustrated it took so long.

Yeah that’s no good. Did you ever figure out what it was? That kind of bug seems like it should’ve bubbled up at least a few times in overall testing...

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Deleting former user data is a big part of GDPR so I'm guessing thats what it is

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I never really thought about how much I hate Netflix Autoplay until this Gary Oldman movie ended up at the top of my rotation for watch next. This trailer started with this really loud music and Oldman yelling over it in a loud, terrible accent 'FIRST YOU MUST ASK YOURSELVES - ARE YOU WEALTHY?' or something along those lines. I heard it so many times I just wanted to throw the TV out the window.

On a less ragey note, apparently some LG TVs got a firmware update so we can now use Apple TV+ on them. I'm super curious if my model supports it, because I'll actually be able to watch some of these shows I am getting "for free" after being bent over for an iPhone. I'll be pretty happy if I can watch Mythic Quest and For All Mankind this way, but I'm certainly not going out of my way to do so other than my TV.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Executives at CBS were probably appalled (I mean like monocle drop appalled) to learn that ten thousand episodes of The Good Wife and The Mentalist were not enough to sustain sales of a monthly sub to CBS All Access (I'm excluding Picard and Discovery, which I very much like, for dramatic effect).

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Making it all Viacom is viable, but now I wonder what that means for things like Amazon having those Nick shows like Spongebob.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Deleting former user data is a big part of GDPR so I'm guessing thats what it is

I think even more likely they just really hate jammu on a personal level. For obvious reasons.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Netflix just released an Environmental Social Governance report to be more transparent. An interesting piece is the requests for takedown from different countries.

-2015 - New Zealand - The Bridge
    -2017 - Vietnam - Full Metal Jacket
    -2017 - Germany - Night of the Living Dead
    -2018 - Singapore - Cooking on High, The Legend of 420, and Disjointed
    - 2019 - Saudi Arabia - One Episode of Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj
    - 2019 - Singapore - The Last Temptation of Christ
    - 2020 - Singapore - The Last Hangover

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What The Bridge did NZ have a problem with?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Netflix just released an Environmental Social Governance report to be more transparent. An interesting piece is the requests for takedown from different countries.

-2015 - New Zealand - The Bridge
    -2017 - Vietnam - Full Metal Jacket
    -2017 - Germany - Night of the Living Dead
    -2018 - Singapore - Cooking on High, The Legend of 420, and Disjointed
    - 2019 - Saudi Arabia - One Episode of Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj
    - 2019 - Singapore - The Last Temptation of Christ
    - 2020 - Singapore - The Last Hangover

Can I take a guess at which episode that was? /s

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    What The Bridge did NZ have a problem with?

The suicide documentary one, I presume.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Vietnam having an issue with Full Meta Jacket is like fair

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    wrong thread

Couscous on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    what's Germany's problem with Night of the Living Dead?

or is it the remake? in which case i'm right there with them.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine asking for something to be taken down doesn't just Streisand the hell out of it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    what's Germany's problem with Night of the Living Dead?

or is it the remake? in which case i'm right there with them.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comments/f0dj53/why_is_notld_banned_in_germany/
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.schnittberichte.com/special.php?ID=194&Seite=21&prev=search
    Looks like the remake is banned, maybe? But the remake has the same name as the original, so the authorities might have confused the two. So who knows.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The most unbelievable thing about Sabrina so far is that one of the characters is a shut-in who has lived with his aunts for decades and he's ultra-buff and shaves regularly. I demand realistic shut-in representation

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So I’ve disable auto previews and still get auto previews. Cool story, Netflix.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Next episode previews or actual browse previews? They’re different.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah that’s no good. Did you ever figure out what it was? That kind of bug seems like it should’ve bubbled up at least a few times in overall testing...

I found maybe a handful of similar instances googling it, but for most of them disabling hardware acceleration in the browser fixed it, which did nothing for me.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I’m in the main browse screen (on the AppleTV app). It was showing for shows that, to my knowledge, we had not started. I can’t recall if it was showing for movies as well, think it was. But yeah, not an episode preview when already in a selected show, it was the standard “gotta maintain the browse rhythm on the main screen or they’ll trigger” previews.

I can look at it again tomorrow to be sure. Double checked both profiles to ensure the checkbox took (it did).

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Usually I'm good with changes in an adaption and I'm only 1 episode in, but some of the changes in Locke & Key are absolutely baffling. The toned down intro I can atleast understand is probably a ratings thing. But uh, did they really just combine Scott and Jamal? Why the hell would they do that? Please tell me they haven't cut Jackie also.

Road Block on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Browser previews. The Locke & Key preview won't stop playing even after disabling auto-play and closing and reopening the app.

On the plus side on PC at least it's remembering I have that shit muted but I'm 100% confident that if I pull it up on my TV that it's not going to be muted which isn't great since I have a 2 year old sleeping above my room.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Anyone watched a significant chunk of Locke & Key, yet? It looked promising

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Anyone watched a significant chunk of Locke & Key, yet? It looked promising

Two episodes in, and I’m enjoying. The cast is good, and the mystery is advancing nicely.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I recently watched a few episodes of Medical Doctors

It's like a miserable shadow of Dark Place.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Usually I'm good with changes in an adaption and I'm only 1 episode in, but some of the changes in Locke & Key are absolutely baffling. The toned down intro I can atleast understand is probably a ratings thing. But uh, did they really just combine Scott and Jamal? Why the hell would they do that? Please tell me they haven't cut Jackie also.

Not that I am defending it, but for the same reason they do anything: Money. Cheaper to have 1 actor than 2. Then all the other upsides to production.

Locke and Key Episode 1 thoughts (never read the source):
    I disliked the kid being so damn trusting, but at least that ended quick. It didn't explain why 'Echo' was in the well or how she got out, but I suppose that's coming.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I finished entire season of Locke & Key today.

I hated it! Im not even a comic book series fan, never read it, but I simply could not enjoy the story told here.

For me, it was Idiot Plot all the way through: a story that can only exist, because two main characters are idiots, and the third one is a literal child; if characters were not idiots, the story would end in something like 3-4 episodes.

There were so many dumb moments in last few episodes that I was pretty much constantly screaming mentally at characters to not do the thing that they were doing.

Ugh, I feel this series broke me.

• Options
    Well great, I disliked how the the stupid kid got the plot rolling in the fist place, and it continues with the others? Gah. Guess I'll find out still. At least for a few more episodes.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Well, the comic is mostly stupid kids doing stupid things and bad people doing bad things, so I probably wouldn't hold your breath that any future season is gonna be any better. I remember the comic being mostly unpleasant. Best parts about it were:
    the TG key and the equipable wings
    and those don't even really factor much into the story at all.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I thought the comic has some interesting things to say about trauma and losing your childhood, but there's a lot of protagonist stupidity there too.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Re: Lock and Key

Bode very quickly got on my goddamn nerves and I'm reminded that teenagers shouldn't be trusted with anything ever.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I thought the comic has some interesting things to say about trauma and losing your childhood, but there's a lot of protagonist stupidity there too.

To the books credit, most of the teenagers being dumbass teenagers stuff happens when as far as they're aware there's no active threats. Once they clue in to what's going on they smarten up.

This discussion has been closed.