[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

15152535456

Posts

  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Blood Machines was absolutely a thing that was made. Not sure I understand why Shudder decided to break it into three parts. It probably would have been slightly better as one piece.

    It probably also would have been much better without any of the dialog.

    Number One Tricky
  • ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    The last episode of Midnight Gospels was amazing and was really supported buy the visuals. While I loved the absurdity of the earlier shows, the last three seemed to shift tonally in the lead up.

    I wasn’t sure about the meta story in the last one though. I’m up for more.

    Khepra
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Blood Machines was absolutely a thing that was made. Not sure I understand why Shudder decided to break it into three parts. It probably would have been slightly better as one piece.

    It probably also would have been much better without any of the dialog.

    From what news I've been able to gather, Shudder basically cheated Ickerman/Brut out of the showings rights so they could keep the film exclusive to live-only film festivals. It was only earlier this year that they were able to renegotiate with Shudder to even make the video exclusive to the Shudder online service, so I'm sure Shudder did their best to diddle with the film.

    I mean, the movie actually came out last year and you literally could not even buy a physical copy or anything because Shudder refused to allow other versions. I would not be surprised if Ickerman and Brunt re-edit it into one video when Shudder stops having a stranglehold on the rights.

  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Blood Machines was absolutely a thing that was made. Not sure I understand why Shudder decided to break it into three parts. It probably would have been slightly better as one piece.

    It probably also would have been much better without any of the dialog.

    From what news I've been able to gather, Shudder basically cheated Ickerman/Brut out of the showings rights so they could keep the film exclusive to live-only film festivals. It was only earlier this year that they were able to renegotiate with Shudder to even make the video exclusive to the Shudder online service, so I'm sure Shudder did their best to diddle with the film.

    I mean, the movie actually came out last year and you literally could not even buy a physical copy or anything because Shudder refused to allow other versions. I would not be surprised if Ickerman and Brunt re-edit it into one video when Shudder stops having a stranglehold on the rights.

    The latest Some More News is about Quibi and it talks about how they break things into pieces to cheat the people out of the moneys. Figured it had to be a similar reason.

    Number One Tricky
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That sucks I thought Shudder was one of the good ones for their support of Joe Bob.

    I mean I don't know why I would think that, so business is evil.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    Mythic Quest just did a special episode where the cast is at home with webcams. I was mixed on the first season, but I think it could go places. I really wasn't impressed with the parks and rec thing that was done, but its been so long since that cast interacted. So I wasn't really looking to watch at this. I ended up giving it a watch and it is actually really good. They actually use the potential of the situation mixed with their webcam limitation in really interesting technical ways. It's also not all happy go lucky, and does some character work which is nice.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mythic Quest is the new Rob McElhenny show right? Not to be confused with Mystic Quest.

    What service is it on?

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    DiannaoChong
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Mythic Quest is the new Rob McElhenny show right? Not to be confused with Mystic Quest.

    What service is it on?

    Apple TV+ has it.

    steam_sig.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Mythic Quest just did a special episode where the cast is at home with webcams. I was mixed on the first season, but I think it could go places. I really wasn't impressed with the parks and rec thing that was done, but its been so long since that cast interacted. So I wasn't really looking to watch at this. I ended up giving it a watch and it is actually really good. They actually use the potential of the situation mixed with their webcam limitation in really interesting technical ways. It's also not all happy go lucky, and does some character work which is nice.

    That finale was amazing though. That was some real damn effort.

    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    DiannaoChong
  • TexiKenTexiKen now you're all in big, big trouble Registered User regular
    I have realized over the past two months it wasn't that I didn't have time to watch new shows, it's that the shows out right now are just shit. You go through an episode or two of things and it's just bad or not funny and I feel a lot better that I'm not even going to finish your seasons.

    Anyway, I started watching an animoo called Toradora, a slice of life comedy about some high school students working together to try and help the other get their crushes to like them and probably by the end the two will get together. But it's been fun so far, it hits the usual character tropes but it doesn't make them continue to go through extra angst and the supporting cast is enjoyable, from the main guy's hostess mom and his stressed out parakeet to the peppy crush being just the righ bit of optimistic and aloof. The whole show gives off the right vibes of Working and Azumanga Daioh while still being its own thing, and a catchy opening song. Thumbs Up /Momoland.

    SfpaoVj.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Like a bad lobster in a dark cellar Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    We just finished Normal People, a Hulu/Irish television series. It is amazingly good.

    The synopsis reads like random YA love story but it’s really obnoxiously good in every way. Just amazing acting too.

    It’s not my primary genre and much because of that I recommend it if you like watching good things.

    I thought that was a BBC thing

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Started watching Homecoming on Amazon. The premise for the second season (woman wakes up in a canoe, has no idea who she is) sounded moderately interesting and so wildly divergent from the description of the first season (Julia Roberts helps soldiers readjust to civilian life) that I figured the show must be doing something interesting. Started with season 1 and while I believe it is doing something interesting I have no idea what. It's very weird and for some reason I can't put my finger on gives me strong Twin Peaks vibes, except I hated Twin Peaks.

    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • TexiKenTexiKen now you're all in big, big trouble Registered User regular
    Uncut Gems is now up on Netflix, great way to see how Billy Madison progressed from student to teacher to debilitating gambler.

    SfpaoVj.png
    KoopahTroopah
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Started watching Homecoming on Amazon. The premise for the second season (woman wakes up in a canoe, has no idea who she is) sounded moderately interesting and so wildly divergent from the description of the first season (Julia Roberts helps soldiers readjust to civilian life) that I figured the show must be doing something interesting. Started with season 1 and while I believe it is doing something interesting I have no idea what. It's very weird and for some reason I can't put my finger on gives me strong Twin Peaks vibes, except I hated Twin Peaks.

    If you like Season 1, Season 2 is different but inside the same storyline. They did a pretty good job of it. I'd say the first season is more of a spy thriller/corp espionage/noir while the 2nd is a straight up murder mystery (well, not murder, but lots of other stuff). It doesn't have the same filmy pedigree as season 1, but it's pretty darn solid and moves at a really nice clip in 7 episodes, which is much different than the slow burn of S1.

  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    4 episodes into Tales From the Loop and I really want to like it but I don't think I do. Most of the episodes so far feel like they could have easily been 30 minutes instead of 50 and the ideas they explore are neat but also not really much deeper than Twilight Zone knockoffs. And the tone is just relentlessly melancholy. Episode 4 wasn't even sci-fi, it was just a sad 50 minutes about an old man dying. I dunno, I have a high tolerance for slow, ponderous sci-fi but this just isn't clicking with me.

    y59kydgzuja4.png
    Smaug6swaylow
  • ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited May 28
    HBO Max was released today. The app was auto updated to give us Studio Gibli, Cartoon Network, DC films, Turner classics, Crunchy Roll (ugh, but the teens will be all over it), as well as a bunch of popular syndicated show. They also put up the 8 Harry Potters (that we rented from Amazon earlier this year). They added the animated Hobbit too.

    Pretty nice upgrade. I don’t think it is the full collection from those sources, but they might have to rotate them in over time. Some of the TMC came from Criterion (or the other way round). No Nolan’s Batmans. However it has 5 seasons of Steven Universe + Gumball, Regular Show, Aventure Time. Feeling good about dropping cable for internet only.

    I also gave in and signed up for Hulu. Family should have nothing to bitch about this summer.

    Edit: forgot Adult Swim and Loony Toons.

    Colanut on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 28
    I know I already made a big long post gushing about it but I gotta gush again. The Lethal Weapon TV show is SO FUCKING GOOD. I'm nearly done with Season 2. There's no denying that it's very "by the book" but fuck-me, that book is really well written. It's so technically well executed you could use LW to teach a course on film making. For exmaple the show does the simple as a plant and a payoff so fucking well.

    Anton Chekhov (one of the pioneers of modern storytelling) is popularly quotes as saying "If, in the first chapter, you say there is a gun hanging on the wall, you should make quite sure that it is going to be used further on in the story." Season 2 Episode 18, Frankie comes to Hollywood has one of the best examples of this I've ever seen. Early in the episode Riggs and Molly are taking about taking her son to "Not Chuck E Cheese's" for his Birthday. Riggs is going on about how he likes the ball pit at this one place. Cut to the final scene in the episode and it's a foot chase that leads the characters into the arcade and ends with a fist fight in the aforementioned ball pit.

    I could spend hours going full "inside baseball" on all the little details. Like how the establishing shots are actually where the scene is set, and often times where it's filmed. Or how nearly every episode plays out in roughly the same way but is so well executed that it's part of the charm. Or how well they make use such effective use of the "Hollywood Thirty-Mile Zone" Or how despite having insane, unrealistic scenarios and vastly compressing the amount of time police work takes, they don't rely on magic forensics, to solve the case. Or just how awesome it is that the guy they hired to play Riggs thought he could go full "Mel Gibson" and get away with it; ultimately being fired form his own show for getting into a fist fight on set. Or how they hired a real comedian to play the straight man in the buddy cop duo.

    Guys, I just love everything about this show. It's like they were making the show just for me and my pedantry.

    That_Guy on
    camo_sig.png
    DiannaoChong
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So.... what is Tubi? I've only just learned of it. It seems just like an ad-supported streaming service? It has a lot on there for something I've never heard about. In particular, Airplane, which I've been wanting to rewatch for a while :D

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    So.... what is Tubi? I've only just learned of it. It seems just like an ad-supported streaming service? It has a lot on there for something I've never heard about. In particular, Airplane, which I've been wanting to rewatch for a while :D

    It is exactly that - an ad-supported streaming service. It's been around for years.

    Zonugal
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    So.... what is Tubi? I've only just learned of it. It seems just like an ad-supported streaming service? It has a lot on there for something I've never heard about. In particular, Airplane, which I've been wanting to rewatch for a while :D

    It is exactly that - an ad-supported streaming service. It's been around for years.

    huh

    Weird!

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Colanut wrote: »
    HBO Max was released today. The app was auto updated to give us Studio Gibli, Cartoon Network, DC films, Turner classics, Crunchy Roll (ugh, but the teens will be all over it), as well as a bunch of popular syndicated show. They also put up the 8 Harry Potters (that we rented from Amazon earlier this year). They added the animated Hobbit too.

    Pretty nice upgrade. I don’t think it is the full collection from those sources, but they might have to rotate them in over time. Some of the TMC came from Criterion (or the other way round). No Nolan’s Batmans. However it has 5 seasons of Steven Universe + Gumball, Regular Show, Aventure Time. Feeling good about dropping cable for internet only.

    I also gave in and signed up for Hulu. Family should have nothing to bitch about this summer.

    Edit: forgot Adult Swim and Loony Toons.

    I didn't know that HBO max was going to be bundled with other channels. That would allow me to cut out Sling and Chrunchyroll and just use one app.

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    So.... what is Tubi? I've only just learned of it. It seems just like an ad-supported streaming service? It has a lot on there for something I've never heard about. In particular, Airplane, which I've been wanting to rewatch for a while :D

    It is exactly that - an ad-supported streaming service. It's been around for years.

    Tubi has a fantastic selection if you are interested in kung fu, monster movies, and in general D-list cinema.

    Tubi is great.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    kimeKoopahTroopah
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Magicians season 3

    Unless something changes yet again I feel pretty confident saying
    The Librarian
    is the true Big Bad of the series.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    tynicMegaMan001
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Started watching Homecoming on Amazon. The premise for the second season (woman wakes up in a canoe, has no idea who she is) sounded moderately interesting and so wildly divergent from the description of the first season (Julia Roberts helps soldiers readjust to civilian life) that I figured the show must be doing something interesting. Started with season 1 and while I believe it is doing something interesting I have no idea what. It's very weird and for some reason I can't put my finger on gives me strong Twin Peaks vibes, except I hated Twin Peaks.

    Season 1 of homecoming is based closely on a podcast. So it was basically written for audio only. That might influence the dialogue and pacing.

    Also they do a neat thing that the podcast couldn't
    serious spoiler!

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Season 4

    There is so much timey-wimey bullshit going on and i feel like a toddler in a calculus class trying to make sense of most of it

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Colanut wrote: »
    HBO Max was released today. The app was auto updated to give us Studio Gibli, Cartoon Network, DC films, Turner classics, Crunchy Roll (ugh, but the teens will be all over it), as well as a bunch of popular syndicated show. They also put up the 8 Harry Potters (that we rented from Amazon earlier this year). They added the animated Hobbit too.

    Pretty nice upgrade. I don’t think it is the full collection from those sources, but they might have to rotate them in over time. Some of the TMC came from Criterion (or the other way round). No Nolan’s Batmans. However it has 5 seasons of Steven Universe + Gumball, Regular Show, Aventure Time. Feeling good about dropping cable for internet only.

    I also gave in and signed up for Hulu. Family should have nothing to bitch about this summer.

    Edit: forgot Adult Swim and Loony Toons.

    I didn't know that HBO max was going to be bundled with other channels. That would allow me to cut out Sling and Chrunchyroll and just use one app.

    It doesn't have the full offerings from those channels though. There are only maybe ten anime from Crunchyroll? Something like that.

    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
    ColanutTofystedethSmrtnik
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ah.

  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    We truly are living in a despotic hellscape of streaming options, these days. First we had just a couple of options. Heavily produced stuff went to Netflix, minimally produced stuff went to YouTube. Then IP holder decided they needed to have their own bespoke streaming service. By now, most of the good bespoke streaming services are owned by one of maybe four companies. However these bug companies keep launching new platforms without decommissioning their old platforms, further deluding their value. Ma-Bell has their IP strewn over 3 of their own services and like, half a dozen others. It's literally gotten to the point where you need to maintain a complex spreadsheet or even a basic DB just to keep track of where to watch your favorite shows.

    I miss those 10 years where streaming was actually a viable alternative to piracy.

    camo_sig.png
    AlphaRomeroShadowfireDoodmannLanlaornlwt1973IncenjucarscherbchenStabbity StyleSmrtnikRickRudeAtlas in ChainsMoridin889
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Streaming is in a bad position right now IMO and it is massively altering the landscape of media consumption. If you think back to the MASH finale and it had something like 100 million people watching simultaneously. Now there are major series I can see, which I can't discuss with people because they don't share the same streaming service. There are great shows on Amazon Prime with big stars that I can't see and vice versa. I'm already paying for Netflix, Spotify and Disney+, and I'm having some regrets about Disney+ because the only thing I really watch on there is the Simpsons (having watched the Mandalorian) and I'm realizing that it's more bad than good seasons. The kids will make use of it though. But already that's £12 for Netflix multi screen, 9.99 for Spotify (I'm going to try and by an annual card because that will save £20), and then £4.99 for Disney+. You're already teetering around entry level SKY subscription before getting something like HBO Max which sounds OK.

    I actually prefer normal TV in this regard because you can just throw any channel on and have it on as background, while Streaming you generally have to pay attention a) because if it's a crap series it's going to start suggesting other crap series to you, and B), most things just aren't long enough to leave on in the background. I assume things like Cheers/Frasier/Seinfeld are on some service, but not the ones I have.

  • ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Colanut wrote: »
    HBO Max was released today. The app was auto updated to give us Studio Gibli, Cartoon Network, DC films, Turner classics, Crunchy Roll (ugh, but the teens will be all over it), as well as a bunch of popular syndicated show. They also put up the 8 Harry Potters (that we rented from Amazon earlier this year). They added the animated Hobbit too.

    Pretty nice upgrade. I don’t think it is the full collection from those sources, but they might have to rotate them in over time. Some of the TMC came from Criterion (or the other way round). No Nolan’s Batmans. However it has 5 seasons of Steven Universe + Gumball, Regular Show, Aventure Time. Feeling good about dropping cable for internet only.

    I also gave in and signed up for Hulu. Family should have nothing to bitch about this summer.

    Edit: forgot Adult Swim and Loony Toons.

    I didn't know that HBO max was going to be bundled with other channels. That would allow me to cut out Sling and Chrunchyroll and just use one app.

    It doesn't have the full offerings from those channels though. There are only maybe ten anime from Crunchyroll? Something like that.

    This is true, but I imagine as licensing deals are made or expire the catalog will always change.

  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Streaming is in a bad position right now IMO and it is massively altering the landscape of media consumption. If you think back to the MASH finale and it had something like 100 million people watching simultaneously. Now there are major series I can see, which I can't discuss with people because they don't share the same streaming service. There are great shows on Amazon Prime with big stars that I can't see and vice versa. I'm already paying for Netflix, Spotify and Disney+, and I'm having some regrets about Disney+ because the only thing I really watch on there is the Simpsons (having watched the Mandalorian) and I'm realizing that it's more bad than good seasons. The kids will make use of it though. But already that's £12 for Netflix multi screen, 9.99 for Spotify (I'm going to try and by an annual card because that will save £20), and then £4.99 for Disney+. You're already teetering around entry level SKY subscription before getting something like HBO Max which sounds OK.

    I actually prefer normal TV in this regard because you can just throw any channel on and have it on as background, while Streaming you generally have to pay attention a) because if it's a crap series it's going to start suggesting other crap series to you, and B), most things just aren't long enough to leave on in the background. I assume things like Cheers/Frasier/Seinfeld are on some service, but not the ones I have.

    YouTube replaced TV as my background media a while ago. The cheap disposable nature of YouTube content makes it great for minimally paying attention to. There's usually no overarching story lines, few characters (usually just 1 or 2) and it's basically free.

    camo_sig.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Streaming is in a bad position right now IMO and it is massively altering the landscape of media consumption. If you think back to the MASH finale and it had something like 100 million people watching simultaneously. Now there are major series I can see, which I can't discuss with people because they don't share the same streaming service. There are great shows on Amazon Prime with big stars that I can't see and vice versa. I'm already paying for Netflix, Spotify and Disney+, and I'm having some regrets about Disney+ because the only thing I really watch on there is the Simpsons (having watched the Mandalorian) and I'm realizing that it's more bad than good seasons. The kids will make use of it though. But already that's £12 for Netflix multi screen, 9.99 for Spotify (I'm going to try and by an annual card because that will save £20), and then £4.99 for Disney+. You're already teetering around entry level SKY subscription before getting something like HBO Max which sounds OK.

    I actually prefer normal TV in this regard because you can just throw any channel on and have it on as background, while Streaming you generally have to pay attention a) because if it's a crap series it's going to start suggesting other crap series to you, and B), most things just aren't long enough to leave on in the background. I assume things like Cheers/Frasier/Seinfeld are on some service, but not the ones I have.

    YouTube replaced TV as my background media a while ago. The cheap disposable nature of YouTube content makes it great for minimally paying attention to. There's usually no overarching story lines, few characters (usually just 1 or 2) and it's basically free.

    The problem I have is it tends to repeat videos over and over. Sometimes it will line up the previously played video as the next to play video. Plus if I ever take a cursory look at a video, it will suddenly start suggesting other ones and there's just a lot of crap content on there in general. Disney+ has at least been ok in the sense that I can throw SImpsons on and will just keep playing virtually forever. You can Netflix Rick and Morty and Disenchantment as easily disposable entertainment, but they're both relatively brief.

  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've got Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime. Along with YouTube TV.

    Prime I would have anyway cause of the shipping, but I don't know if we ever get back to Prime shipping so might cancel it.

    I'm still a good eighty dollars cheaper than cable options, but it's getting close.

    Might cancel Disney Plus until Mandalorian 2 comes out.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    Colanut
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Streaming is in a bad position right now IMO and it is massively altering the landscape of media consumption. If you think back to the MASH finale and it had something like 100 million people watching simultaneously. Now there are major series I can see, which I can't discuss with people because they don't share the same streaming service. There are great shows on Amazon Prime with big stars that I can't see and vice versa. I'm already paying for Netflix, Spotify and Disney+, and I'm having some regrets about Disney+ because the only thing I really watch on there is the Simpsons (having watched the Mandalorian) and I'm realizing that it's more bad than good seasons. The kids will make use of it though. But already that's £12 for Netflix multi screen, 9.99 for Spotify (I'm going to try and by an annual card because that will save £20), and then £4.99 for Disney+. You're already teetering around entry level SKY subscription before getting something like HBO Max which sounds OK.

    I actually prefer normal TV in this regard because you can just throw any channel on and have it on as background, while Streaming you generally have to pay attention a) because if it's a crap series it's going to start suggesting other crap series to you, and B), most things just aren't long enough to leave on in the background. I assume things like Cheers/Frasier/Seinfeld are on some service, but not the ones I have.

    YouTube replaced TV as my background media a while ago. The cheap disposable nature of YouTube content makes it great for minimally paying attention to. There's usually no overarching story lines, few characters (usually just 1 or 2) and it's basically free.

    The problem I have is it tends to repeat videos over and over. Sometimes it will line up the previously played video as the next to play video. Plus if I ever take a cursory look at a video, it will suddenly start suggesting other ones and there's just a lot of crap content on there in general. Disney+ has at least been ok in the sense that I can throw SImpsons on and will just keep playing virtually forever. You can Netflix Rick and Morty and Disenchantment as easily disposable entertainment, but they're both relatively brief.

    Oh, I disable autoplay and just build my own playlists. YouTube recently added a queue feature to the desktop site. I'll typically go through my sub feed and add a few hours worth of video to watch at a time.

    camo_sig.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've got Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime. Along with YouTube TV.

    Prime I would have anyway cause of the shipping, but I don't know if we ever get back to Prime shipping so might cancel it.

    I'm still a good eighty dollars cheaper than cable options, but it's getting close.

    Might cancel Disney Plus until Mandalorian 2 comes out.

    I have Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, ESPN+, and Prime. We just cut the cord ditched Dish to go with an antenna. It took a while but we now have all the major networks so I'm saving money in the long run. Overall, my younger kids enjoy Disney Plus mostly and the teen loves Netflix.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    We truly are living in a despotic hellscape of streaming options, these days. First we had just a couple of options. Heavily produced stuff went to Netflix, minimally produced stuff went to YouTube. Then IP holder decided they needed to have their own bespoke streaming service. By now, most of the good bespoke streaming services are owned by one of maybe four companies. However these bug companies keep launching new platforms without decommissioning their old platforms, further deluding their value. Ma-Bell has their IP strewn over 3 of their own services and like, half a dozen others. It's literally gotten to the point where you need to maintain a complex spreadsheet or even a basic DB just to keep track of where to watch your favorite shows.

    I miss those 10 years where streaming was actually a viable alternative to piracy.

    Now imagine this but you aren't in the US so where things are is distributed differently in a way that's not written down anywhere and sometimes X company just didn't even bother to give anyone the rights at all so you can't watch it legally period.

    LaOsRhesus PositiveAnteCantelopeMoridin889
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I know I already made a big long post gushing about it but I gotta gush again. The Lethal Weapon TV show is SO FUCKING GOOD. I'm nearly done with Season 2. There's no denying that it's very "by the book" but fuck-me, that book is really well written. It's so technically well executed you could use LW to teach a course on film making. For exmaple the show does the simple as a plant and a payoff so fucking well.

    Anton Chekhov (one of the pioneers of modern storytelling) is popularly quotes as saying "If, in the first chapter, you say there is a gun hanging on the wall, you should make quite sure that it is going to be used further on in the story." Season 2 Episode 18, Frankie comes to Hollywood has one of the best examples of this I've ever seen. Early in the episode Riggs and Molly are taking about taking her son to "Not Chuck E Cheese's" for his Birthday. Riggs is going on about how he likes the ball pit at this one place. Cut to the final scene in the episode and it's a foot chase that leads the characters into the arcade and ends with a fist fight in the aforementioned ball pit.

    I could spend hours going full "inside baseball" on all the little details. Like how the establishing shots are actually where the scene is set, and often times where it's filmed. Or how nearly every episode plays out in roughly the same way but is so well executed that it's part of the charm. Or how well they make use such effective use of the "Hollywood Thirty-Mile Zone" Or how despite having insane, unrealistic scenarios and vastly compressing the amount of time police work takes, they don't rely on magic forensics, to solve the case. Or just how awesome it is that the guy they hired to play Riggs thought he could go full "Mel Gibson" and get away with it; ultimately being fired form his own show for getting into a fist fight on set. Or how they hired a real comedian to play the straight man in the buddy cop duo.

    Guys, I just love everything about this show. It's like they were making the show just for me and my pedantry.

    It killed me to hear that behind the scenes the two leads hated each other and like Chase Crawford is either an asshole or responding to assholery? Either way the show was great.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 28
    Hello Studio Ghibli in Canada. (HBO has the license, but Bell Canada who distros HBO in canada doesn't include any Ghibli material)

    We've got Netflix, Prime and Crunchyroll. Well, I have Crunchyroll, my wife is utterly confused by it. "They're high school girls who ride tanks and they're actually shooting at each other? And no one gets hurt?" We killed our Bell satellite and moved to IPTV through our ISP, which iss less than half the price and slimmed back our channels. We didn't take a PVR option, it's all hosted so there's no local PVR unfortunately.

    Nosf on
    Stabbity Style
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I know I already made a big long post gushing about it but I gotta gush again. The Lethal Weapon TV show is SO FUCKING GOOD. I'm nearly done with Season 2. There's no denying that it's very "by the book" but fuck-me, that book is really well written. It's so technically well executed you could use LW to teach a course on film making. For exmaple the show does the simple as a plant and a payoff so fucking well.

    Anton Chekhov (one of the pioneers of modern storytelling) is popularly quotes as saying "If, in the first chapter, you say there is a gun hanging on the wall, you should make quite sure that it is going to be used further on in the story." Season 2 Episode 18, Frankie comes to Hollywood has one of the best examples of this I've ever seen. Early in the episode Riggs and Molly are taking about taking her son to "Not Chuck E Cheese's" for his Birthday. Riggs is going on about how he likes the ball pit at this one place. Cut to the final scene in the episode and it's a foot chase that leads the characters into the arcade and ends with a fist fight in the aforementioned ball pit.

    I could spend hours going full "inside baseball" on all the little details. Like how the establishing shots are actually where the scene is set, and often times where it's filmed. Or how nearly every episode plays out in roughly the same way but is so well executed that it's part of the charm. Or how well they make use such effective use of the "Hollywood Thirty-Mile Zone" Or how despite having insane, unrealistic scenarios and vastly compressing the amount of time police work takes, they don't rely on magic forensics, to solve the case. Or just how awesome it is that the guy they hired to play Riggs thought he could go full "Mel Gibson" and get away with it; ultimately being fired form his own show for getting into a fist fight on set. Or how they hired a real comedian to play the straight man in the buddy cop duo.

    Guys, I just love everything about this show. It's like they were making the show just for me and my pedantry.

    It killed me to hear that behind the scenes the two leads hated each other and like Chase Crawford is either an asshole or responding to assholery? Either way the show was great.

    I followed it all as it was going down and it was Damon Wayans that was the asshole to Crawford. Rumors have it that Wayans was being a prima donna about everything. He got bent out of shape for a MINOR accident that happened with a prop when Crawford was directing an episode. Basically Wayans had Crawford fired. The cast had nothing but high praises for Crawford and kept silent about Wayans. Wayans said some pretty shitty stuff on Twitter then deleted it a few hours later.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
    Preacher
  • TexiKenTexiKen now you're all in big, big trouble Registered User regular
    Makes me sad to hear Damon Wayans is an asshole, because I've heard his brothers are actually really cool (quality of the work they've been in since The Wayans Brothers aside).

    And it makes me wonder if he's a bit jaded he never took off as the comedic action guy that basically Will Smith became a year or two later, what with Last Boyscout flopping and Blankman firing blanks.

    SfpaoVj.png
Sign In or Register to comment.