As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Anybody else watching His Dark Materials on HBO? "Armored Bear" is the coolest two word combo I've ever heard and they finally got screentime, living up to my dreams.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This was the far better season/part/whatever of Toys That Made Us, I would hope to possibly see an episode on Superhero toys considering how the Wrestling episode showed the dawn of the higher end, higher quality toys for the now-adult-have-disposable-income fans. Plus with how Playmates was shown with TMNT I want to see respek being given to those bitchin' WildCATS toys they made that were on par with early McFarlane Toys.

My only gripe with the series is the annoying, done in edit jokes of using interview answers out of place or people sitting waiting for the question and using it out of context.

I hope they get into Thundercats/Silverhawks and Ghost Busters. Those were briefly huuuge.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Anybody else watching His Dark Materials on HBO? "Armored Bear" is the coolest two word combo I've ever heard and they finally got screentime, living up to my dreams.

Scoresby going from Sam Elliot to Lin Manuel Miranda is criminal

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm enjoying it, though they've made an unnecessary hash of some of the world-building (starting with a text introduction, having characters react to stuff a certain way and only explain it later - Lyra seeing a Daemon far from it's owner as abnormal is only explained after). I haven't read the books or seen the movie so I dunno whether Miranda is miscast or comparatively terrible but he seems fine to me.

• Options

Scoresby going from Sam Elliot to Lin Manuel Miranda is criminal

I haven't read the books, so I don't have any attachment to the characters or how they should be, but just based on screen presence, yeah, Miranda is not cool, but he seems to think he is, when Elliott just is cool. Either actor is just a vehicle for me to get to bear fighting, though. The movie version traumatized me, and like all trauma, I'm drawn back to it. I'm here for the bear violence. At least 75% of my interest is bear carnage related, and 25% of it is me curious about this atheist take on fantasy.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The cable signal in our new place is pretty spotty but the wifi side of the split works fine, and an hour on the phone with the cable company was nothing but infuriating. I'm thinking about just cutting the coax side of my bill entirely and trying to go to full streamer status. The only thing I think I'd miss are the couple of network/basic cable shows we DVR the night they air. I guess if I knew who owned them (and which streaming service they eventually show up on), it wouldn't be a big deal. Just need to do some research on the simplest way to pull air channels and maybe set up some kind of fake DVR to grab network TV (or I guess you can get live TV from a service as well).

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I've watched two so far, and it just feels like a really expensive, really boring YA show. I'm a huge fantasy fan, but I just couldn't get interested, and as someone who hasn't read these books, the exposition, albeit heavy, has been almost useless in explaining anything about the world. I have no idea what's happening or who any of these people are. The only reason I even know who the bad guys are is because their daemons are...mean?

I'm happy to stay onboard just to support this genre, but I honestly can't say if it's a mediocre production or the material just isn't for me. It certainly seems competently produced from a technical standpoint, and it's got some really good acting talent.

Straygatsby on
  • Options

I've watched two so far, and it just feels like a really expensive, really boring YA show. I'm a huge fantasy fan, but I just couldn't get interested, and as someone who hasn't read these books, the exposition, albeit heavy, has been almost useless in explaining anything about the world. I have no idea what's happening or who any of these people are. The only reason I even know who the bad guys are is because their daemons are...mean?

I'm happy to stay onboard just to support this genre, but I honestly can't say if it's a mediocre production or the material just isn't for me. It certainly seems competently produced from a technical standpoint, and it's got some really good acting talent.

I also haven't read the books, but I did see the movie in theater. I think it is filling in a lot of the gaps the show has produced, making it easier to follow. My complaint up to this point is that it just feels like the movie, only stretched like taffy. But I really liked the movie and wanted more, so I'll take it.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Looks like Disney+ has a continue watching category now, that's nice.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Just started on season 3 of The Toys that Made Us and the Eastman/Laird reunion at the end is a real tear jerker.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Watched Klaus with the kiddo today. Definitely a few parts that choked me up, pretty good movie!
    Finding out Klaus and his wife were infertile in some way really brought the tears out.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Been watching The Tudors on Netflix and I’m torn

Because on the one hand these aristocrats are all horrible people who ought to be thrown down immediately in favor of democracy.

But on the other hand they’re also tearing down another corrupt, greedy, anti-democratic institution that’s responsible for keeping millions in poverty.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Lol at the increasing desperation of the Boleyn family as they begin to realize they’re rapidly falling out of favor.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Booooooo to MST3K being cancelled! But... I'm not surprised. I love it to death but it's about as niche as niche can be.

Just got finished watching season one of Undone. It's definitely worth watching.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Watching Iliza Shlesinger's latest Netflix special

She's great, as always, but this audience needs to chill the fuck out

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Been watching The Tudors on Netflix and I’m torn

Because on the one hand these aristocrats are all horrible people who ought to be thrown down immediately in favor of democracy.

But on the other hand they’re also tearing down another corrupt, greedy, anti-democratic institution that’s responsible for keeping millions in poverty.

It also has lots of boobs

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I usually really like her but she seemed so stuck on an early bit that just didn't land with me at all. She just kept on about how it's cool to criticize people sometimes. It was worth a couple chuckles and then I thought she moved on only to go right back to it which is when I turned it off.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I usually really like her but she seemed so stuck on an early bit that just didn't land with me at all. She just kept on about how it's cool to criticize people sometimes. It was worth a couple chuckles and then I thought she moved on only to go right back to it which is when I turned it off.

It felt like she was playing to an audience which quite specifically wasn't me. Which is totally fine. I just can't figure out who it actually was.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I usually like Iliza Schlesinger but I think she leaned too much into her silly voices shtick this time around, plus some of it was a bit preachy. Mike Birbiglia's new one was pretty good though.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I usually like Iliza Schlesinger but I think she leaned too much into her silly voices shtick this time around, plus some of it was a bit preachy. Mike Birbiglia's new one was pretty good though.

I think jokes about the absurdity of weddings and stuff don't do it for me because everyone knows they're ridiculous investments in pomp and tradition that no one should bother with on a logical level.
    Comedy needs to be clever and unpredictable. Every joke may as well have been about, "Airports are so bad and what about that airline food huh? Am I right?"
    Comedy comes from life and when all you have are clunky wedding jokes and faux "woman empowerment - but insult meme" punchlines, it's just not going to be great to me.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

This is why I finally cancelled my Netflix account . They cancel all the shows I like so I cancelled them.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    About the only things I care about anymore are Stranger Things and Nailed It! Neither necessitate a year round subscription.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    MST3K was kinda bad though. I feel like the guy didn't really have the charm to keep it going. Plus RiffTrax is way better.

urahonky on
  • Options
    About the only things I care about anymore are Stranger Things and Nailed It! Neither necessitate a year round subscription.

I don't see Dark on that list. You should add Dark to that list.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    MST3K was kinda bad though. I feel like the guy didn't really have the charm to keep it going. Plus RiffTrax is way better.

I disagree. Jonah was great! And the second season they really found their stride. The first couple of seasons of the original MST3K were worse than the reboots’.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I didn't think the new MST3K was anywhere near the original but it was fine and it really couldn't have cost that much compared to other Netflix shows, it was easy, cheap library filler.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I had the realization today that I almost never use Hulu, and so I have paused my subscription for 12 weeks. I'll probably just end up cancelling it until Agents of SHIELD is back on for its final season next year.

• Options

I disagree. Jonah was great! And the second season they really found their stride. The first couple of seasons of the original MST3K were worse than the reboots’.

I feel like my tolerance is way lower than it used to be. I remember the first couple of seasons of the original and yeah they were bad but I pushed through it.

But now I'm like "well, that's like 4 episodes in a row that I didn't literally die laughing so this show is the worst!"

I wish I could turn that part of my brain off.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I feel like my tolerance is way lower than it used to be. I remember the first couple of seasons of the original and yeah they were bad but I pushed through it.

But now I'm like "well, that's like 4 episodes in a row that I didn't literally die laughing so this show is the worst!"

I wish I could turn that part of my brain off.

I feel ya. I definitely feel like I've become a lot harsher on comedy anything in the past like 10 years. I have no idea why either.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Bojack Horseman!
    Big Mouth!
    Dark!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Bojack Horseman!
    Big Mouth!
    Dark!

Carole & Tuesday!
    Little Witch Academia!
    Peaky Blinders!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Russian Doll!
    Dark Crystal!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Russian Doll!
    Dark Crystal!

She-Ra!
    Dragon Prince!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Terrace House!

The most important reason to have Netflix.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Another Life!...

Wait, no, those characters are all raging morons who have no business breathing much less being in space.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I appreciate Netflix is committed enough to making us suffer that they renewed Another Life

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Cancelling MST3K may be the breaking point for me for Netflix, in light of the other junk they habitually fund. There was no way MST3K was an expensive show (it being cheap is half the damn point); it had like... two sets. They pay a hundred fucking million dollars to have the rights to Friends, and a show that costs about five million a season is too much for them to keep?

Netflix runs a couple of shows I like, but there's just no dang way I can justify a whole year of subscription for those.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Cancelling MST3K may be the breaking point for me for Netflix, in light of the other junk they habitually fund. There was no way MST3K was an expensive show (it being cheap is half the damn point); it had like... two sets. They pay a hundred fucking million dollars to have the rights to Friends, and a show that costs about five million a season is too much for them to keep?

Netflix runs a couple of shows I like, but there's just no dang way I can justify a whole year of subscription for those.

Part of the problem for MST3K is that they can't show it overseas. The movies have to be licensed for each overseas territory. I.e. You need to buy the Streaming rights for the movies in each territory. I know the Nordic Countries are a separate territory from the UK for example. Worst case scenario you are talking about each individual country. And if the movies have already been sold to a broadcaster in that region, the no-compete clause means Netflix can't show the MST3K version in that region.

So you can't really stream the show outside of the US because it ends up costing a whole lot of extra money and you might not be able to broadcast the full series because some broadcaster sits on the broadcast rights to Biker Chick Go Go Dancers already.

Its what prevented MST3K from really being exported in its original run and its probably why it was axed now. Why spend money licensing films for MST3K, when you can create original content that you can stream world wide for free(to Netflix).

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I mean guys; The Christmas Prince is a movie trilogy now! Those movies probably cost the same as a episode of MST3K. They certainly look it from the trailers.

Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
This discussion has been closed.