As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I thought Fringe ended very solidly. I do agree that it eventually became kind of a different thing but by the end it was pretty wild and you could tell the actors were absolutely loving being on the show with how dynamic they got to be with their characters.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Is there a counter-example to the LOST, Westworld, and BSG "We have a lot of ideas for mysterious shit going on, some of which are even pretty clever, but we have no more idea where this is all going than you do and quite possibly less" tendency? I'm certain I've watched shows that played out mysterious stories over multiple seasons and eventually proved that they were going somewhere with it all the whole time but damned if I can think of one right now.

Did Fringe end up ending well? I remember it was also dipping into that weird sci-fi mystery well around that time.

Fringe does okay aside from series 1 which is put to one side and ignored

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The one Fringe ep in the small town
    where the two universes are merging.

Holy shit that was great

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Oz
    TexiKen wrote: »
    New season of F Is For Family dropped, and One Piece got added to Netflix, all the way through the Alabasta arc in both english and japanese so you're able to see Chopper and Zoro dab on all the other losers.

I have always wanted to get into One piece but there’s SO MUCH.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oz
    New season of F Is For Family dropped, and One Piece got added to Netflix, all the way through the Alabasta arc in both english and japanese so you're able to see Chopper and Zoro dab on all the other losers.

I have always wanted to get into One piece but there’s SO MUCH.

There is a certain Pace that helps make 900+ episodes a little more palatable.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Finding that One Pace is a good place but looking at it now after having caught up and switching to the Manga for Wano, they've changed things a bit. Still viable for catching up, just a few more steps. In all honesty the Manga is really worth it and you can just look up highlights to get the voices in your head for the Straw Hats because Chopper and Franky really need their voice to show how great they are.

But the first 60 episodes of One Piece are pretty decent about pacing, they aren't totally padded (and there's a 6 episode filler at the end of that run). The biggest hurdle in the series is that Syrup Island is the weakest arc in the whole series because Usopp is absolutely unlikable early on, and that while it's just 9 or 10 episodes, they really halt the momentum the first ten episodes give you and you have to wait for the middle of the next arc, Baratie to get back on track.

But if you don't like the show after Arlong Park, then you probably won't like the series and can stop then (which is like episodes 30-42). There is one scene I'll link below in spoiler for episode 37 that is for a lot of people the moment when the anime/manga really grabs you and you're either onboard or not, and if they change any of it in the Netflix live action series then you know they hate everything.

Just remember Zoro is always #1.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One Piece definately suffers from dragging the wrong parts out. The good parts are really good but it takes longer than five Namekian minutes to get to them.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Current thoughts on shows with kids:

Sugar Rush is a good show to watch with your tween daughter.
    Marvel Netflix is my teenage son's current obsession.
    Youngest son is watching every Simpsons ever.

Current thoughts on shows with spouse:

Mad Men leaving bites.
    The Office leaving bites.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Is there a counter-example to the LOST, Westworld, and BSG "We have a lot of ideas for mysterious shit going on, some of which are even pretty clever, but we have no more idea where this is all going than you do and quite possibly less" tendency? I'm certain I've watched shows that played out mysterious stories over multiple seasons and eventually proved that they were going somewhere with it all the whole time but damned if I can think of one right now.

Did you every see Dirk Gently season one and two ?

Crazy, crazy stuff, but it all makes sense in the end.

Yeah. For all its craziness, Dirk Gently is leaps and bounds ahead of any other show when it comes to creating satisfying mystery box stories.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    One Piece definately suffers from dragging the wrong parts out. The good parts are really good but it takes longer than five Namekian minutes to get to them.

I really liked One Piece but bowed out sometime after the time skip.
    In the year 2050 when One Piece finally ends and a reasonable 1200 episode edit comes out I'll finally get around to finishing it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I really liked One Piece but bowed out sometime after the time skip.
    In the year 2050 when One Piece finally ends and a reasonable 1200 episode edit comes out I'll finally get around to finishing it.

Yeah, the anime trying to be weekly basically ruins it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Now I want to watch Fringe again but it's nowhere for me to stream and I don't want to watch it enough to shell out $20 per season.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Finding that One Pace is a good place but looking at it now after having caught up and switching to the Manga for Wano, they've changed things a bit. Still viable for catching up, just a few more steps. In all honesty the Manga is really worth it and you can just look up highlights to get the voices in your head for the Straw Hats because Chopper and Franky really need their voice to show how great they are.

But the first 60 episodes of One Piece are pretty decent about pacing, they aren't totally padded (and there's a 6 episode filler at the end of that run). The biggest hurdle in the series is that Syrup Island is the weakest arc in the whole series because Usopp is absolutely unlikable early on, and that while it's just 9 or 10 episodes, they really halt the momentum the first ten episodes give you and you have to wait for the middle of the next arc, Baratie to get back on track.

But if you don't like the show after Arlong Park, then you probably won't like the series and can stop then (which is like episodes 30-42). There is one scene I'll link below in spoiler for episode 37 that is for a lot of people the moment when the anime/manga really grabs you and you're either onboard or not, and if they change any of it in the Netflix live action series then you know they hate everything.

Just remember Zoro is always #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLx9WKf5mhs

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ho! Tell D.U.S.K. would be a pretty good screen name.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Hmm, looks like Disney+ already pulled their free trial offer, no more free trials for the service.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Now I want to watch Fringe again but it's nowhere for me to stream and I don't want to watch it enough to shell out $20 per season.
    It's on imdb's ad supported streaming last I checked

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like Disney+ already pulled their free trial offer, no more free trials for the service.

Guarantee it's because Hamilton is on there in two weeks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What We Do In The Shadows series 2 is up on iPlayer, and it continues to be utterly delightful

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Seems like they would’ve just sold it separately if it was just Hamilton.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Seems like they would’ve just sold it separately if it was just Hamilton.

Hamilton is going to set some records.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It's possibly a big get, at least locally, but it's not a game changer to that degree, compared to their overall library.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You would think they’d release Hamilton via on demand first if it was going to be a big game changer. If Trolls 2 can make a hundo milly first week streaming you would expect them to let Hamilton do it, if anything to offset the bath Artemis Fowl cost them.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    You would think they’d release Hamilton via on demand first if it was going to be a big game changer. If Trolls 2 can make a hundo milly first week streaming you would expect them to let Hamilton do it, if anything to offset the bath Artemis Fowl cost them.

Disney's still in their launch window and pulling a move like that when they're now going to have a problem with content flow beyond what they originally expected is probably a bad idea.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I bet Hamilton doesn't do as well as Trolls 2.

Vast of Night on Amazon is fucking fantastic by the way, not super long but it's really a great flick.

Watched that last Terminator flick; it...didn't suck? I mean, I'm glad I didn't pay specifically to see it, but I guess it was passable? The new terminator was sort of a mixed bag. Not sure anyone will out do Robert Patrick.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am halfway through Watchmen because HBO is doing a free trial thing and it is SO GOOD like goddamn.

And insanely topical, since it's set against the backdrop of the Tulsa massacre and explores race relations and shitty police and such. If they had thrown in a pandemic I would be convinced the showrunners were time travellers.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I am halfway through Watchmen because HBO is doing a free trial thing and it is SO GOOD like goddamn.

And insanely topical, since it's set against the backdrop of the Tulsa massacre and explores race relations and shitty police and such. If they had thrown in a pandemic I would be convinced the showrunners were time travellers.

I really enjoyed it at the start but I feel it kinda loses steam towards the end. It's still good but I don't feel like the ending really lives up to the ideas it puts in play in the first few episodes.

• Options
    I feel that at this point, if the back half is nothing but grumpy cat memes set to Yakety Sax, it would be worth it on the strength of the first half alone.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    *edit* Beated because I didn't read the entire thread.

Heffling on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The floor is lava is the dumbest thing I've ever seen and I've watched it all

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I feel that at this point, if the back half is nothing but grumpy cat memes set to Yakety Sax, it would be worth it on the strength of the first half alone.

It's definitely worth watching and Regina King is fucking fantastic in it. (and she's even better in The Leftovers imo)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Watchmen was good. I can't believe they made a show where Jeremy Irons feels like the weakest link.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The Stranger is excellent. Let's hope they don't make another series of it.

It does that thing where it makes a lovely composite imaginary town that you'd really like to live in. This one is all the nice bits of towns in the northwest. In a similar way to Les Revenants

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I watched Blood Father last night. It was a pretty "paint by numbers" "daddy saves daughter" action movie but I enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure Mel Gibson was the single most expensive part of the movie. I don't think the production ever left the Hollywood 30 mile zone. I recognized just about every one of the filming locations but the movie made good use of them. Mel grew a killer beard for the movie and was a total badass through the entire thing. Even with all the controversy, he's still a fantastic actor and I can't help but like his movies move just for him being there.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

It's definitely worth watching and Regina King is fucking fantastic in it. (and she's even better in The Leftovers imo)

Goddammit do i need to watch fucking The Leftovers now.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Yes. It is amazing.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

The first couple episodes are uneven in their world building and feature some of the worst cringe of the series up front.

By episode 3 or 4 the show will just leave you floored periodically from there on out.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It is very good but also very polarizing. It's got a few weak episodes and can take a bit to get going but it's often very very good in it's own weird way. I would say that while it isn't like Lost plotwise in any way, it feels a lot like Lost in how it's written and structured. Almost always in a good way though. Like Lost without them being tied down to trying to badly explain an overarcing plot full of mysteries.

Oh, it's also kind of a downer in some ways in that it's basically about people trying to deal with a tragedy so large and so completely inexplicable that it breaks everyone.

shryke on
  • Options
    Oh so it's a documentary about 2020.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Continuing with Person of Interest.

Terra Incognita is such a great episode. Such a great character piece of an episode.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Continuing with Person of Interest.

Terra Incognita is such a great episode. Such a great character piece of an episode.

The AV Club had a great review of that one: https://tv.avclub.com/person-of-interest-terra-incognita-1798183447

This discussion has been closed.