As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hamilton is fucking amazing and problematic.

Watching this now - just beat the English, half way done.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Watching this now - just beat the English, half way done.

https://youtu.be/oNEdEDbhTQw
    I just watched the abridged version

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Is it available anywhere other than Disney Plus? Cause I'm not subbing to Disney Plus.

Stabbity_Style.png

Is it available anywhere other than Disney Plus? Cause I'm not subbing to Disney Plus.

Shiver me timbers, I knows of one other source. Me hearty.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I'm 7 episodes into Warrior Nun and I'm liking it so far. pretty slow burn as it's setting things up.

There are definitely Buffy vibes, but less dark humor

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

What the other guy said, I really hope it ends up in PBS's hands or something because I think people deserve to see it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I was gonna say Broadway but then I remembered covid.
    Damn covid ruining my jokes

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Broadway is very far away from me, unfortunately.

Stabbity_Style.png

Broadway is very far away from me, unfortunately.

It's not quite streaming but just heard on Sirius that it's a) playing constantly on the Broadway channel and b) the Broadway channel is part of the free covid deal they are doing

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You could also listen to the whole thing on Spotify

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular

You could but just listening to it doesn't come even close to doing it justice without the performance.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

You could but just listening to it doesn't come even close to doing it justice without the performance.

I thought it a better recommendation than thinly veiled “shiver me timbers” messages

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Ah well good call.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

If you don't have spotify premium you can only shuffle play it, but I believe the whole Broadway cast recording is up on YouTube on the official channel as well.

steam_sig.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I'm 7 episodes into Warrior Nun and I'm liking it so far. pretty slow burn as it's setting things up.

There are definitely Buffy vibes, but less dark humor

That's like half the point of Buffy.

shryke on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

If you don't have spotify premium you can only shuffle play it, but I believe the whole Broadway cast recording is up on YouTube on the official channel as well.

Playlist:

evilmrhenry on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Warrior Nun is..... ok? It tries to do the action movie thing, but I dont think it quite makes it. It's a lot more buffy the vampire slayer movie than the series, as to say it keeps trying to take itself more seriously than tongue in cheek/funny. It does the thing where in the final act is introduces a bunch of B plots that you have to wait till season 2 to have any movement on which has always been annoying in these shows.

Also sort of related, I don't have a source, I think the news right now is still 'theres onctractual issues with the lead' for Lucifer's final season. It sounds like they got resolved quickly and the next season is done shooting. It also sounds like in the negotiations they established that there is one more season after this one to wrap stuff up. This season is going to be 16 eps, released in two 8 episode parts, first part this fall. I wonder if netflix is going to move to split season realeases. It felt like voltron and other shows were doing this but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. edit: It might be split because of covid stopping production.

I quite like Warrior Nun, it’s basically Buffy set in Spain.

Looking forward to more Lucifer, and I’m glad it’s 16 eps, the last season felt so short.

So many things they can do, and places to go. I can’t wait to see what whacky stuff they have in store.

Warrior Nun has to have been written by a small child in the manner of axe cop. It's just so poor but so captivating in its nonsense.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Warrior Nun is..... ok? It tries to do the action movie thing, but I dont think it quite makes it. It's a lot more buffy the vampire slayer movie than the series, as to say it keeps trying to take itself more seriously than tongue in cheek/funny. It does the thing where in the final act is introduces a bunch of B plots that you have to wait till season 2 to have any movement on which has always been annoying in these shows.

Also sort of related, I don't have a source, I think the news right now is still 'theres onctractual issues with the lead' for Lucifer's final season. It sounds like they got resolved quickly and the next season is done shooting. It also sounds like in the negotiations they established that there is one more season after this one to wrap stuff up. This season is going to be 16 eps, released in two 8 episode parts, first part this fall. I wonder if netflix is going to move to split season realeases. It felt like voltron and other shows were doing this but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. edit: It might be split because of covid stopping production.

Looking forward to more Lucifer, and I’m glad it’s 16 eps, the last season felt so short.

So many things they can do, and places to go. I can’t wait to see what whacky stuff they have in store.

Warrior Nun has to have been written by a small child in the manner of axe cop. It's just so poor but so captivating in its nonsense.

We binged it yesterday. I actually thought it held together reasonably well. The characters are all great... Mary is a goddamn treasure. I want Beatrice to notice me. Ava is frustrating and ridiculous, but her smile is infectious, so I can't stay mad at her.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Partner and I watched Hamilton on Saturday. Crazy good musical, but I agree it's propaganda. Songs are super catchy, and Hamilton isn't like 100% painted as the hero which is good cause he did both good and bad shit. The stage is also really good too with the main center stage gimmick. Definitely worth seeing at least once.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So to follow up on my Ulysses 31 post:

I just watched episode 12, and it features an honest-to-the-great-galaxy Terminator! Thing is, this thing came out in 1981, and the Terminator came out in 84! Mind. Blown! The thing even looks like Arnold in its human form!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Was pretty happy with the end of Dark

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

We binged it yesterday. I actually thought it held together reasonably well. The characters are all great... Mary is a goddamn treasure. I want Beatrice to notice me. Ava is frustrating and ridiculous, but her smile is infectious, so I can't stay mad at her.

Ava is the worst part of the show so far. She's too stupid to live just 4 episodes in. Minor spoilers, if you know the setup this won't shock you:
    So the demons can sense the halo. And she just wants to "live" her random life. HOW?!?! Ignoring all the realistic problems with her situation, the supernatural ones alone screw her over!

Also have a half assed prediction based on more stupidity related to the above, more in depth spoiler:
    Father uh...the not-asshole priest, for some reason doesn't mention that removing the halo could kill her. Or really impress upon her that demons and people WILL come for it. Overall it doesn't make sense with other things we've seen, but together with the fact there's a mole and the asshole Bishop is too obvious maybe the Father is up to no good. Or the writers just wanted her away from the Church and use the power of stupid.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I generally find musicals to be both intolerable and hilarious thanks to being exposed to satires of musicals via The Simpsons, etc before seeing an actual real musical.

Hamilton has broken that streak because it was pretty darn spectacular - though I was still cracking up at some of the conceits of it being a musical. That said, there was some absolutely fantastic stuff in there.

"Dr Zaius Dr Zaius"

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I just watched episode 12, and it features an honest-to-the-great-galaxy Terminator! Thing is, this thing came out in 1981, and the Terminator came out in 84! Mind. Blown! The thing even looks like Arnold in its human form!

I never really watched the show, but that theme song is forever lodged in my head.

5gsowHm.png
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I never really watched the show, but that theme song is forever lodged in my head.

See my post above, it's all on YouTube and (IMHO) holds up!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531

Great show.

I’m going to rewatch it in a few months, see how the first 2 season feel when you know why the things that are happening are happening.

Also, if you want more on the show, google ‘dark tv show family tree’ and it lays out all the various families.

Some...odd stuff.

I generally find musicals to be both intolerable and hilarious thanks to being exposed to satires of musicals via The Simpsons, etc before seeing an actual real musical.

Hamilton has broken that streak because it was pretty darn spectacular - though I was still cracking up at some of the conceits of it being a musical. That said, there was some absolutely fantastic stuff in there.

"Dr Zaius Dr Zaius"

Ya one of the few things that seems to be able to break thru my distaste for musical episodes is Bob's Burgers

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I enjoy musicals that use the music really well but so many musicals seem to want to make me hate music.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I enjoy musicals that use the music really well but so many musicals seem to want to make me hate music.

Hamilton has really good music. If that's any consolation lol.

Incenjucar wrote: »

Hamilton has really good music. If that's any consolation lol.

Ehhhhhhh.

I've heard the music. It's not the worst.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If the musical has mostly pop hits as the music, it can go to heck.

Couscous wrote: »

Moulin Rouge made me angry.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I like musicals well enough. I don't avoid them and have gone to see several on purpose.

I legit do not understand ones that use existing pop music. Like, most of a musical is the music. If the music doesn't tell the story, what's the point?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    edited July 2020

I legit do not understand ones that use existing pop music. Like, most of a musical is the music. If the music doesn't tell the story, what's the point?

Across The Universe tells the story of an artist and the people around him during a war using only songs by The Beatles and is really effective. Still one of my favorite musical movies.

KoopahTroopah on

Across The Universe tells the story of an artist and the people around him during a war using only songs by The Beatles and is really effective. Still one of my favorite musical movies.

I tried 3 times and couldn't make it all the way through that one. And I like the Beatles.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Great show.

I’m going to rewatch it in a few months, see how the first 2 season feel when you know why the things that are happening are happening.

Also, if you want more on the show, google ‘dark tv show family tree’ and it lays out all the various families.

Some...odd stuff.

We did a season 1+2 rewatch right before the 3rd season

it fits together remarkably well considering

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I said this in chat just now but I will say it again: Ju-On: Origins is a disastrous mess of a show and please don't take the fact that I just watched the whole season in one sitting be any sort of endorsement of its quality.

I was hoping for something on par with Haunting of Hill House. This was not it.

vamen on
    edited July 2020
    vamen wrote: »
    I said this in chat just now but I will say it again: Ju-On: Origins is a disastrous mess of a show and please don't take the fact that I just watched the whole season in one sitting be any sort of endorsement of its quality.

I was hoping for something on par with Haunting of Hill House. This was not it.

Worse than the original? Worse than the remake that came out last year?

Edit: Or was that this year? I saw it in a theater so I assumed but then I remembered there were months this year before the pandemic...

CptHamilton on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    What we do in the Shadows continues to not disappoint. Just finished the Colin promotion and Hamil episodes; just amazing.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
This discussion has been closed.