Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

1457910

Posts

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Oh shit the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is on Amazon. I might have to watch it tonight.

  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I mean guys; The Christmas Prince is a movie trilogy now! Those movies probably cost the same as a episode of MST3K. They certainly look it from the trailers.

    Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.

    Throw all the shade you want, but I got super excited when you said there is a third one! Netflix certainly seems to make a lot of odd choices from the outside looking in. I assume a lot of it is backed by ridiculously detailed watch data though. Know your audience and all that.

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hallmark movies make money I assume. Otherwise they would have stopped making them like 2 decades ago.

    Netflix making their own Hallmark movies only makes sense.

  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I mean guys; The Christmas Prince is a movie trilogy now! Those movies probably cost the same as a episode of MST3K. They certainly look it from the trailers.

    Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.

    Princess culture.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    GnizmoSmrtnikRhesus PositiveKruiteLoisLaneN1tSt4lker
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.
    Because American princes are way better at hide-and-go-seek than European ones?

    JebusUD
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    MST3K is a solvable problem though. Just have them make fun of all the netflix produced stuff, like anything with Kevin Spacey should be easy pickings!

    Pailryder on
    urahonkyLostNinjadavidsdurionswandering
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    MST3K is a solvable problem though. Just have them make fun of all the netflix produced stuff, like anything with Kevin Spacey should be easy pickings!

    See, but that's the irony, because there's no fucking way Netflix would be willing to have Netflix lampoon all the shit they churn out in the desperate hopes of retaining viewers with originals. They basically threw away a great system of sorting and finding quality shows years ago expressly to obscure when their shitty originals are outed as shitty.

    We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope Amazon picks it up.

  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I mean guys; The Christmas Prince is a movie trilogy now! Those movies probably cost the same as a episode of MST3K. They certainly look it from the trailers.

    Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.

    Throw all the shade you want, but I got super excited when you said there is a third one! Netflix certainly seems to make a lot of odd choices from the outside looking in. I assume a lot of it is backed by ridiculously detailed watch data though. Know your audience and all that.

    Yeah, I'm always amused by people claiming Netflix is stupid because they're canceling all their quality shows and keeping the crap and clearly this is bad for them.

    Like, it sucks that they're killing good shows, but I'm willing to bet they're making good financial decisions, at least short term.

    Still though.

    Santa Clarita Diet Nevar Forget.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    HappylilElfRhesus Positiveobolon84SmrtnikshrykeGnizmokimeTofystedethRickRudeLoisLaneGiantGeek2020JMan711Shadowfire
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm not willing to believe that at all, to be honest. Netflix has given every indication to have fallen victim to the exact kind of wasteful self-destructive short-sighted nonsense that plagues Hollywood, as evidenced by things like their "unofficial" policy of cancelling any show after two seasons unless it's incredibly successful. Their total disinterest in supporting anything long-term is one of the major reasons I'm looking at cancelling them, because I know it's unlikely they will ever support a show long enough to really go somewhere if it doesn't have fifty zillion viewers.

    Atlas in ChainsshrykeMoridin889DoodmannTexiKendanxRickRudeLoisLanejoshofalltrades
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    MST3K is a solvable problem though. Just have them make fun of all the netflix produced stuff, like anything with Kevin Spacey should be easy pickings!

    See, but that's the irony, because there's no fucking way Netflix would be willing to have Netflix lampoon all the shit they churn out in the desperate hopes of retaining viewers with originals. They basically threw away a great system of sorting and finding quality shows years ago expressly to obscure when their shitty originals are outed as shitty.

    We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope Amazon picks it up.

    Part of me is hoping Amazon picks it up just as a fuck you to Netflix but honestly Amazon makes so much god damn money I'd be surprised if there was anything even resembling a rivalry :P

  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    It's not just that I think new shows may need a few seasons before they really come into their own. It's that show runners, writers, and actors deserve to not have their wages artificially suppressed. Use all the data you want to fine tune your productions, but don't skim your profits off the futures of the talent.

  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It's not just that I think new shows may need a few seasons before they really come into their own. It's that show runners, writers, and actors deserve to not have their wages artificially suppressed. Use all the data you want to fine tune your productions, but don't skim your profits off the futures of the talent.

    You're not wrong but at the same time this is is an industry wide phenomena.

  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    It's not just that I think new shows may need a few seasons before they really come into their own. It's that show runners, writers, and actors deserve to not have their wages artificially suppressed. Use all the data you want to fine tune your productions, but don't skim your profits off the futures of the talent.

    You're not wrong but at the same time this is is an industry wide phenomena.

    Is it? HBO was begging for more GoT, the most expensive show in history. I think it's pretty unique to Netflix, this artificial broadening and shallowing of its library.

  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    The subscription model does mean that streaming services are better suited for niche content than cable (because it's more about drawing in new people than maximizing eyeballs per prime time slot) but it also means that multiple shows that bring in the same subset of the market have diminishing returns.

    Netflix wants to have enough content in broad categories to keep everybody and their mother subscribed, and not more, because the cost of that extra content could be profit instead.

    Couple that with "new" being the holy grail of marketing, and you have a system where good shows will get cancelled not because people don't watch them, but because the people that watch them also watch other stuff.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm not willing to believe that at all, to be honest. Netflix has given every indication to have fallen victim to the exact kind of wasteful self-destructive short-sighted nonsense that plagues Hollywood, as evidenced by things like their "unofficial" policy of cancelling any show after two seasons unless it's incredibly successful. Their total disinterest in supporting anything long-term is one of the major reasons I'm looking at cancelling them, because I know it's unlikely they will ever support a show long enough to really go somewhere if it doesn't have fifty zillion viewers.

    I mean, the training for that policy is (ostensibly) the exact thing you're claiming to dispute. Netflix says their data indicates that whether or not people watch more than two seasons of a show is independent of whether or not they resubscribe.

    (Or something similar to that, it's been a while)

    You are, according to what they say, an outlier

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I got through the first half of "The ______ Report" last night. Man everything about it is infuriating, the US should have been (be?) put on trial Nuremberg style. It's not a huge quantity, but it is top quality in terms or war crimes and human rights atrocities.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    kime
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    kimeStabbity StyleIncenjucarKoopahTroopahElJeffeHexmage-PAKipling217Banzai5150BlackDragon480
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

    While that sounds good, fight choreography was never exactly GoT's strong suit. I can think of less than a handful of memorable one-on-one fights in however many seasons of GoT there were and all of them were fairly short and relatively straight-forward. I get that you have to make comparisons to GoT if you're a media person because it's the fantasy elephant in the room but if I were making a list of "things GoT did well", fight choreography wouldn't be on it anywhere.

    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    DoodmannTofystedeth
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    plus no one in GoT had Aard

    5gsowHm.png
    Moridin889Kana
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    Yeah, there was what, the Arya+Brienne sparring match, and the Viper vs Mountain duel, and that was really it for 1v1 fights of note across 8 seasons.

    Edit: Bronn vs that 1 knight in the vale in season 1 was noteworthy, but also deliberately not impressive.

    Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yeah, there was what, the Arya+Brienne sparring match, and the Viper vs Mountain duel, and that was really it for 1v1 fights of note across 8 seasons.

    Edit: Bronn vs that 1 knight in the vale in season 1 was noteworthy, but also deliberately not impressive.

    Jon's duel with the Night's Watch traitor, Jon's duel with the wildling during the castle black fight. Eddard Stark vs Jaimie in season 1. The Arena fight, the awful that was Jaimie and Bron vs the Sand snakes.

  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A streaming service basically just needs to provide sufficient content every other month for one person in the household to miss it being gone.

    I like cartoons that can be watched casually which is not straight up for children only or crass, so as long as there is a Bojack, She-Ra, Dragon Prince, HTTY Dragon, etc. in the works, they have my attention.

  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Final Space is great--check it out, @Incenjucar !

    WiseManTobesIncenjucar
  • TexiKenTexiKen Registered User regular
    It's a new month, is it candy or coal with these new Netflix stocking stuffers?

    -Austin Powers 1-3
    -Catwoman
    -Cool Hand Luke
    -Deep Blue Sea
    -The Departed
    -The Dirty Dozen
    -Malcolm X
    -Night at the Roxbury
    -Primal Fear


    There is also a spin-off of The Toys That Made Us, The Movies That Made Us, which seems to have people talk about movies they worked on or something that impacted them. Dirty Dancing, Die Hard, Home Alone, and Ghostbusters seem to be the movies but really this feels like they're stretching a bit with the format, like it's some VH1 knockoff from the '00s. If I want movie talk there's a thousand youtubers having the wrong opinions on these things.


    Amazon has:

    -Man on the Moon
    -The Spirit
    -Hancock
    -Iron Man 2

    Also of note, it seems Amazon is putting up 4k versions of movies now, but they are under their own image/tile, so Iron Man 2 will show up as Iron Man 2 and then another box with different thumbnail art will be Iron Man 2 (4K UHD)

    C6JIGw7.png
    KoopahTroopah
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Oh shit that's a good selection from Netflix.

    Night at the Roxbury is literally my #1 guilty pleasure.

    ElJeffe
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's not just that I think new shows may need a few seasons before they really come into their own. It's that show runners, writers, and actors deserve to not have their wages artificially suppressed. Use all the data you want to fine tune your productions, but don't skim your profits off the futures of the talent.

    I agree with all of this, but none of it speaks to whether what Netflix is doing is profitable.

    The argument seems to be

    Netflix: "We believe our current policies make us money based on analyzing hundreds of millions of data points on subscription and viewing figures."

    Vs

    Some subscribers: "I think your policies aren't profitable because I'm sad you canceled that show I like. One of these days, I might cancel my subscription. Maybe."

    I'm also sad they cancelled that show I like, but it's still not a compelling argument.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    IncenjucarkimeKetarSmrtnikRichyBizazedo
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Final Space is great--check it out, Incenjucar !

    I watched it when I was in Montreal. Not available in the US. :(

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    Final Space is great--check it out, Incenjucar !

    I watched it when I was in Montreal. Not available in the US. :(

    Suck it America!

    LaOsWiseManTobesIncenjucar
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Aww, they just dropped Season 2 recently. I'll probably hit that up this week.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also of note, it seems Amazon is putting up 4k versions of movies now, but they are under their own image/tile, so Iron Man 2 will show up as Iron Man 2 and then another box with different thumbnail art will be Iron Man 2 (4K UHD)

    Amazon's Video UI is the worst....

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    PailryderLostNinjaKruiteEndaro
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    Amazon needs to let me turn off "channels." Quit trying to make channels happen, they are not going to happen.

    Nosf on
    SmrtnikIncenjucarPailryderRhesus PositiveLostNinjaKruiteMoridin889
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    kime wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also of note, it seems Amazon is putting up 4k versions of movies now, but they are under their own image/tile, so Iron Man 2 will show up as Iron Man 2 and then another box with different thumbnail art will be Iron Man 2 (4K UHD)

    Amazon's Video UI is the worst....

    I was going to say something about Hulu, but I dunno, Amazon is pretty terrible. I guess it's marginally easier to get to their search function?

    I guess while Amazon's is completely dreadful, Hulu's feels like they actively want me to shut down their app and go do something better with my time.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    RickRudekimeurahonkyHappylilElfAtlas in ChainsPailryder
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I got my parents an Amazon Five TV for Mother's/Father's day because they already had a prime membership

    They haven't really used the streaming on the TV much yet because summer things but now that we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground I'm just waiting for the text about how the TV just charged them to watch a show because of how shit the amazon UI is.

  • LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    I'm just waiting for the text about how the TV just charged them to watch a show because of how shit the amazon UI is.

    The first thing I did with my parents' fire TV was add a passcode for purchases.

    lwt1973Stabbity StylePailryderHappylilElfIncenjucarKruiteMoridin889
  • TexiKenTexiKen Registered User regular
    I have let my parents use my prime account because they've been getting tired of Netflix and they have been pretty good about knowing what to watch when you say as long as it has a white stripe in the top left corner it's classy. And at least on Apple TV something pops up on the pay stuff saying "you sure you want to pay for this?"

    I mean Amazon now thinks I like Murder She Wrote, British murder mystery shows and NYPD Blue and these new VOD Bruce Willis movies but it's getting its use.

    C6JIGw7.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Amazon Video is the goddamn worst. They so obviously just do not give a single shit about it as a service people use.

    The most annoying thing remains it's habit of saying "Yes we have that!" when really they mean "No, we don't. But you could buy the DVD or buy an HBO subscription and then see it!".

    Kanaurahonkylwt1973Stabbity StylejoshofalltradesTofystedethKoopahTroopahRhesus PositivedavidsdurionsIncenjucarRedTideN1tSt4lkerthatassemblyguyDoctor Detroitdispatch.oRickRude
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Amazon Video is the goddamn worst. They so obviously just do not give a single shit about it as a service people use.

    The most annoying thing remains it's habit of saying "Yes we have that!" when really they mean "No, we don't. But you could buy the DVD or buy an HBO subscription and then see it!".

    Hulu does that too which is frustrating.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Amazon has alot of older shit the other services don't have

    but if its an obscure movie chances are its a shit SD transfer that looks like a VHS

  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Amazon Video is the goddamn worst. They so obviously just do not give a single shit about it as a service people use.

    The most annoying thing remains it's habit of saying "Yes we have that!" when really they mean "No, we don't. But you could buy the DVD or buy an HBO subscription and then see it!".

    They've gone off the deep end with this now to the point where I have entire queues in the app for shows I can't watch unless I subscribe so some random canadian digital service thing.

  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    As a Parent, Amazon is becoming a pain. What used to be free with prime is now being splintered to pay channels. Noggin, PBS kids, etc. It sucks when my daughter tries to watch something she’s seen before the switch and now can’t. I’m not about to pay for at least 3 more kid services.

    It’s funny when she tries to watch something on prime to find out she can’t but can watch it on another service like Disney +. Someone needs to make an app that congregates all the subs you have into one big list and when you select the movie it opens it in that other App.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
    SatanIsMyMotorkimeRhesus PositiveLoisLane
Sign In or Register to comment.