As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    New episode of The Boys was pretty good.
    I guess tentacle dicks are now canonical in this universe. Just like one of my Japanese animes. Kinda surprised they didn't make the connection that the girl exploding peoples heads probably exploded the FBI agent's head. Maybe they will in a future episode, though. Seems kinda obvious to me, tho.
    Also, wow, I figured Stormfront was more of a neo-Nazi/KKK/alt-right type, but nope, she's an honest-to-god actual Nazi. Makes sense she's good at manipulating social media if she was friends with Goebbels, too.

Anthony Starr deserves more awards. The little beats where you see his face kind of drop at the end only for him to quickly realize he's letting his guard down and go back to perfect posture.
    Interesting way to go with Stormfront. I wonder why her daughter didn't seem to be enhanced. I'm also curious why the Allies won the war with Stormfront against them. I know there are supposed to be some WWII heroes but still. It was a compelling reveal.

Who says
    she didn't get injected and become a supe. Most age and die.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I guess tentacle dicks are now canonical in this universe. Just like one of my Japanese animes. Kinda surprised they didn't make the connection that the girl exploding peoples heads probably exploded the FBI agent's head. Maybe they will in a future episode, though. Seems kinda obvious to me, tho.
    Also, wow, I figured Stormfront was more of a neo-Nazi/KKK/alt-right type, but nope, she's an honest-to-god actual Nazi. Makes sense she's good at manipulating social media if she was friends with Goebbels, too.

Anthony Starr deserves more awards. The little beats where you see his face kind of drop at the end only for him to quickly realize he's letting his guard down and go back to perfect posture.
    Interesting way to go with Stormfront. I wonder why her daughter didn't seem to be enhanced. I'm also curious why the Allies won the war with Stormfront against them. I know there are supposed to be some WWII heroes but still. It was a compelling reveal.

Who says

Spoilers for episode 6 of the boys.

Yeah the impression I got was she was an adult success. Her daughter probably wasn't because they weren't doing kids at the time and by the time she was an adult neither parent wanted to risk their child knowing what could happen to her.

Honestly I don't know what's going on with Homelander, like on its face he's all "yes you're what I want" but remember he literally burned the eye out of his replacement mommy, dude is fucked up and the only thing he loves more than himself is fucking nothing.

The torchlighter stuff with frenchie (fucking called it we'd get a frenchie episode) was god damn heartbreaking, and it showed not all the supes can be homelander, that doing awful things ways on them in a way it doesn't on him.

Maeve is going to die awfully, girl that video is more dangerous than you think and you trying to use it to blackmail homelander is only going to get you and your girlfriend dead.

Butcher and Starlight anti bonding was a delight. It felt a little sudden that Butcher cared so much about Hughie considering where he was at earlier, but I'm willing to allow it based on hughie getting under his skin and his aunt mentioning the little brother aspect.

LOVE SAUSAGE!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Who says

Yeah the impression I got was she was an adult success. Her daughter probably wasn't because they weren't doing kids at the time and by the time she was an adult neither parent wanted to risk their child knowing what could happen to her.

Honestly I don't know what's going on with Homelander, like on its face he's all "yes you're what I want" but remember he literally burned the eye out of his replacement mommy, dude is fucked up and the only thing he loves more than himself is fucking nothing.

The torchlighter stuff with frenchie (fucking called it we'd get a frenchie episode) was god damn heartbreaking, and it showed not all the supes can be homelander, that doing awful things ways on them in a way it doesn't on him.

Maeve is going to die awfully, girl that video is more dangerous than you think and you trying to use it to blackmail homelander is only going to get you and your girlfriend dead.

Butcher and Starlight anti bonding was a delight. It felt a little sudden that Butcher cared so much about Hughie considering where he was at earlier, but I'm willing to allow it based on hughie getting under his skin and his aunt mentioning the little brother aspect.

LOVE SAUSAGE!
    Maeve kinda seems burnt out, so I wouldn't be surprised if she knows just how dangerous it is. It either works and she gains enough of her life back that she can keep going, or it doesn't and it's over and she doesn't have to deal with it anymore.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Who says

LOVE SAUSAGE!

Homelander through Ep 6
    Dude didn't have a childhood so he's basically going through all the stages now. He got to the "independence! therefore I hate my parents" stage when he killed his mom. Now he's going through his first love, with all the obsession and jealousy and over the top emotions that that entails.

Inevitably that first love has a horrible breakup so I'm assuming (like all things in this show) that it will end catastrophically horribly

ObiFett on
  • Options
    So spoiler based on the season 2 trailer and the general direction of this season. This is purely speculation for a future event.

From the season 2 trailer we saw homelander covered in blood looking confused, either his son or stormfront is going to be exploded in front of him, and I'm leaning Stormfront at this point.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So spoiler based on the season 2 trailer and the general direction of this season. This is purely speculation for a future event.

From the season 2 trailer we saw homelander covered in blood looking confused, either his son or stormfront is going to be exploded in front of him, and I'm leaning Stormfront at this point.

My only worry about where Homelander's story will go
    is that since he's clearly based on Superman, is the way to beat him to just find a Kryptonite equivalent? It seems like the only thing they can do plot-wise right?

I guess it would be sort of satisfying to watch him flail around powerless and get beat to a bloody pulp. But Kryptonite is easily the thing I hate the most about the Superman character.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I really like how The Boys gets more fucked up with every episode and also, I really like the one episode per week.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

My only worry about where Homelander's story will go
    is that since he's clearly based on Superman, is the way to beat him to just find a Kryptonite equivalent? It seems like the only thing they can do plot-wise right?

I guess it would be sort of satisfying to watch him flail around powerless and get beat to a bloody pulp.

Based on how the comics go spoilers/speculation about Homelander.

I don't think they'll go that route. But the show has deviated a lot from the source comic.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think there might be enough shows on HBO Max now that I need to subscribe for a month or two.

I should probably watch that Watchmen show at some point. People were pretty bullish on that.

Sounds like Westworld kinda petered out, though, so I guess I didn't miss much there by not watching it when it was in the public conscious.

Watchmen is great, but check Hulu first, since it was put up there after the unrest this summer.

HBO Max has been a worthwhile purchase for me, though. Harley Quinn, Doom Patrol, Lovecraft Country, Raised By Wolves, Westworld, Primal...solid offerings. Moreso if all of the DC shows end up there.

You can watch the whole Snyderverse! And compare it to the older DC movies like the original Superman quadrilogy and the Tim Burton Batmans (but not the Nolan films, cant have the new stuff look too bad).

So I've been working my way through the DC movies from the Burton Era on up, the current crop arent great but they're not as eye rollingly bad as I expected. They're still bad though; I'm pretty certain I watched them at some point and my mind just decided to save itself and not remember. Regardless these movies rely on cgi waaaaay too much and most gave up on world building and just dump you in there. Aquaman basically starts like its a sequel and then intermittently fills in the gaps. I think the expectation is that these characters have been in the public consciousness for 60+ years so everyone kind of knows whats up...but I sure as shit dont. Its also very clear that DC wanted to get that Marvel money but didnt want to take the time to build the franchises the way Marvel did.

Man of Steel - covers the characters origin, not great but its a competent movie. I know people had problems with Superman killing Zod but I kinda like that it sets a darker tone for the movies
    Batman vs Superman - skips the Batman story, but has been done to death (theres basically a Batman movie every 3-4 years, not including the animated stuff). I watched the 3+ hour one because I hate myself and maybe it was a better more complete movie or maybe the movie just isnt as bad as I remember. Ben Afleck is a decent older Batman, I dunno, its a movie.
    Suicide Squad - quickly sets up the world and gets going which is fine and really all I want/need. Its a throwaway movie though. The outrage over Jared Leto's Joker was overblown, but its very obvious the reshoots after Deadpool did well did not help
    Wonder Woman - easily the best movie in the DC franchise
    Justice League - not great, but I feel like it had potential? The Flash is easily the highlight and CG aside, I think theres something decent buried deep in here? I'll probably watch the Snyder cut just to see
    Aquaman - how is this the highest grossing film in the franchise? I mean, I know the answer is Jason Momoa, but the writing and structure is terrible. At least most of the cgi in this one is justifiable

I'll get around to Shazam and Birds of Prey eventually, Shazam didnt seem terrible from the promos and Margot Robbie is an enjoyable Harley Quinn so maybe we're on an upswing?

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I really like how The Boys gets more fucked up with every episode and also, I really like the one episode per week.

Yeah this episode alone had several "What the fuck?" moments.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    emp123 wrote: »
    I'll get around to Shazam and Birds of Prey eventually, Shazam didnt seem terrible from the promos and Margot Robbie is an enjoyable Harley Quinn so maybe we're on an upswing?

Shazam is good, yes. (EDIT: I think I accidentally insulted Harley Quinn. I haven't seen it, and have no opinion on it.)

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This episode of the boys was great.

The sheer symbology of it!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    new CGI Resident Evil movie confirmed for Netflix, here's a trailer

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Looking for something to watch now that Supernatural is in the 15th season and I can’t take any more. So I finally caved in and started watching the great British bake off that’s on Netflix. It starts with collection 1 whatever that means. Any way I’m enjoying Mary and Paul but the two hosts annoy me. As an American I can understand a good 80% of what they are saying. Quite a bit of what’s being made is foreign to me. And for some of reason I always thought spotted dick was a fish dish. Watching the suet pastry dishes makes me wanna try making it.

Anyway I’m enjoying this way more than any baking show on food network.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Boys:
    FUCKING LOVE SAUSAGE!

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I’ve just spend an incredibly fun few hours watching Staged, on Netflix.

David Tennant and Martin Sheen play themselves rehearing for a play, during the first lockdown, via webchat.

Super charming, and really funny.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    ALERT, ALERT

Good Place Season 4 is on Netflix (US) now! This is not a drill!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Looking for something to watch now that Supernatural is in the 15th season and I can’t take any more. So I finally caved in and started watching the great British bake off that’s on Netflix. It starts with collection 1 whatever that means. Any way I’m enjoying Mary and Paul but the two hosts annoy me. As an American I can understand a good 80% of what they are saying. Quite a bit of what’s being made is foreign to me. And for some of reason I always thought spotted dick was a fish dish. Watching the suet pastry dishes makes me wanna try making it.

I quite liked the original hosts but if you don't care for them, they get replaced in series... 3? 4?

I love that show. It's so much more friendly and good-natured than US reality competition shows.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    a

I quite liked the original hosts but if you don't care for them, they get replaced in series... 3? 4?

I love that show. It's so much more friendly and good-natured than US reality competition shows.

It’s so wonderful. I love how despite being in competition, the contestants are always looking out for each other and helping each other, and they’re genuinely devastated when people are sent home. It's very refreshing.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

David Tennant and Martin Sheen play themselves rehearing for a play, during the first lockdown, via webchat.

Not on US Netflix? :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Enola Holmes was alright! It felt aimed at teenagers and my teenagers mostly enjoyed it. I would definitely watch more Henry Cavill as Sherlock.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Enola Holmes was alright! It felt aimed at teenagers and my teenagers mostly enjoyed it. I would definitely watch more Henry Cavill as Sherlock.

Did he get to reload his forearms?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I didn't hate it, but I was sold a bill of goods and did not receive it. Cavill was in the movie for like five minutes total. Maybe.

Also I feel like they had to stitch together two suits to fit his chest into. He's stacked.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I didn't hate it, but I was sold a bill of goods and did not receive it. Cavill was in the movie for like five minutes total. Maybe.

Also I feel like they had to stitch together two suits to fit his chest into. He's stacked.

They could have cut his role entirely without changing much. It wasn't the worst movie but I was unimpressed.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Not on German Netflix either? :(

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It's on Hulu in the US.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    a

It’s so wonderful. I love how despite being in competition, the contestants are always looking out for each other and helping each other, and they’re genuinely devastated when people are sent home. It's very refreshing.

My wife was actually watching Top Chef Jr for that same reason. Because it's kids they can't be stupid or mean about anything so it ends up being extremely, like, nice and supportive and when someone gets eliminated Curtis Stone (the head judge basically) like walks them off stage with an arm around their shoulder giving them a pep-talk and telling them how good they did.

Really throws into contrast the relentless shittiness of the attitude of most of those type of shows imo.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I am starting to think Raised By Wolves is actually bad.

Ridley Scott sure does like his vistas and body horror.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I watched episode 1, then got distracted by Killing Eve.

I have now watched almost 2 seasons of Killing Eve in a day and a half, with 2 episodes to go.

It's on the BBC here, so on BBC America, I assume.

It's awesome, and the actress who plays Villanelle is an absolute delight.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

It's definitely a "1 step forward, 2 steps back" kinda experience for me.

The best part of each episode is the opening credits, while the worst part is every ham-fisted imposition of Christian mythology.

Mother and Father are consistently intriguing, while most of the kids are loathsome performers (and Paul's mom isn't much better, with her mush-mouthed delivery and awkward physicality).

• Options
    edited September 2020
    metaghost wrote: »

The best part of each episode is the opening credits, while the worst part is every ham-fisted imposition of Christian mythology.

Mother and Father are consistently intriguing, while most of the kids are loathsome performers (and Paul's mom isn't much better, with her mush-mouthed delivery and awkward physicality).

But... its not Christian mythology. Mithraism was an actual religion that existed right around the time Rome was founded...

ObiFett on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Utopia has its moments. I don't know if I like it or not right now. I'm about halfway through.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I started watching The First on Hulu. Good cast, with Sean Penn in the lead. Haven't heard anything about it, but the first few episodes seem engaging. Seems like a behind-the-scenes drama about the public-private partnership to do a manned trip to Mars? Seems like a slow burn so far, but not sure why it doesn't seem to have gotten much press.

Edit:
    Looks like it got cancelled after one season, that's probably why I haven't seen much on it. Oh well, will probably still finish watching it as its not terrible and actively enraging like Away

Edit 2:
    And now I see that Away has gotten approved for a second season. BURN IT ALL DOWN

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

But... its not Christian mythology. Mithraism was an actual religion that existed right around the time Rome was founded...

Obi, Mithraism may be the religion being practiced by the characters in the show, but it doesn't take much effort to perceive things like

EP 9 Spoiler
    Mother's sudden pregnancy as an integration of the story of Mary and the Virginal birth, what with the supplemental assertion that this child growing within her will change humanity forever.

And while this is not explicitly a part of the Alien cinematic world, nor even actually Ridley's project, it certainly takes some cues from said films; and I bring this up because certainly Prometheus was hindered a great deal by its rather painful effort at exploring faith, yielding this precious anecdote:
    Scott suggested that an Engineer was sent to Earth to stop humanity's increasing aggression, but was crucified, implying it was Jesus Christ.[54][56][57] However, Scott felt that an explicit connection in the film would be "a little too on the nose."[54]

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    At the very least, the Romans would've noted the giant cross needed to a crucify a 9-foot-tall Jesus built like a linebacker that was so white you can almost see through him.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Yea my favorite parts had all the holmes' together. Sadly that was not the ensemble the writers wanted to give the viewer.

I liked it though! I think it's worth a watch. Nice and light.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

Obi, Mithraism may be the religion being practiced by the characters in the show, but it doesn't take much effort to perceive things like

EP 9 Spoiler
    Mother's sudden pregnancy as an integration of the story of Mary and the Virginal birth, what with the supplemental assertion that this child growing within her will change humanity forever.

And while this is not explicitly a part of the Alien cinematic world, nor even actually Ridley's project, it certainly takes some cues from said films; and I bring this up because certainly Prometheus was hindered a great deal by its rather painful effort at exploring faith, yielding this precious anecdote:
    Scott suggested that an Engineer was sent to Earth to stop humanity's increasing aggression, but was crucified, implying it was Jesus Christ.[54][56][57] However, Scott felt that an explicit connection in the film would be "a little too on the nose."[54]

Birth is a central part of Mithraism as well, birth from a rock being a motif. I wonder what the parallels are to 'real' Earth, there's a lot that's unexplained still
    what the giant rock thing is, whether Sol/Mithras are aliens, what the backstory/lore is

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

EP 9 Spoiler

Birth is a central part of Mithraism as well, birth from a rock being a motif. I wonder what the parallels are to 'real' Earth, there's a lot that's unexplained still
    what the giant rock thing is, whether Sol/Mithras are aliens, what the backstory/lore is

Also the stuff with the holes:
    Are people/things that fall down the holes coming back from the dead or are they ghosts, I'd assumed the latter but the mouse kind of throws that into question

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Eh.. Calling Raised by wolves "ham fisted" is kind of an insult to people who have two literal pieces of ham as hands, they'd still be able to play the story beats more subtly

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.