As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty MeatshieldPanhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
Here be a discussion of all streaming services, small and gargantuan.

DISNEY+ IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY VIZIO SMART TV FOR CASTING BECAUSE OF OLD VERSION ON VIZIO THAT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN SIX YEARS OH GOD I’M UPSET.

Also doesn’t seem to be working on my PS4 right now but I think that’s a login server issue here on day one.

Also Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime, yada yada yada.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Is Mandalorian a week by week thing or all at once?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Week by week

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I forgot how hype the end of season 2 and all of season 3 Haikyuu is. Also how good the training arc in the first half of season 2 is. So many great character moments getting set up and paid off, along with some very exciting plays. Still highly recommended! It's on Netflix, with both subs and dubs.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Disney+ is watchable on a PC I assume, yeah?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm blocked at work, but yeah, appears to have standard in-browser streaming options...

In retrospect it should've been obvious, but all of SW in 4K HDR has me hype nonetheless. Even if it is the SE versions.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Looks like Disney+ has a lot of content, but also a few glaring holes, such as incomplete seasons of Gravity Falls and the new Ducktales. Hope that gets ironed out.

But it also has the complete Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which is boss.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Is this a common thing on other streaming sites?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

I know if you buy the good Simpsons on iTunes it's also cropped widescreen to try and make it HD or something, it really turned me off of buying more than just season 5. Just give me the original airing, original quality, and leave me alone. Thankfully I still have Seasons 1-10 on DVD

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I watched Mandalorian on pc this morning and it was good. My tv on the other hand keeps having issues with the app.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, ApplePlay works fine with my smart tv so I don’t care about chrome cast not working anymore.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I know if you buy the good Simpsons on iTunes it's also cropped widescreen to try and make it HD or something, it really turned me off of buying more than just season 5. Just give me the original airing, original quality, and leave me alone. Thankfully I still have Seasons 1-10 on DVD

Amazon does this with some old shows too. Babylon 5 was a bit tough to watch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I heard the aspect ratio was a mistake?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So for the past month or so, about 90% of the time I try to watch a show on Hulu, the first time I hit play, it plays for a second and then freezes. I have to back out to the menu, then play it again, at which point it works fine. This is on the Xbox One.

It didn't used to happen. It started around the time I dropped Hulu Live, but i'm not sure if it exactly coincided or not. Anyone else seen this? Is there a solution?

It's not a huge deal, it just means playing a show takes an extra few seconds, but it's mildly annoying.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I was disappointed to learn this morning that I do not qualify for Verizon's free one year of Disney+. Apparently my Unlimited data plan does not include the deal. Alas!

Apparently the version of A New Hope on Disney+ has yet another edited version of the Han vs. Greedo scene?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So for the past month or so, about 90% of the time I try to watch a show on Hulu, the first time I hit play, it plays for a second and then freezes. I have to back out to the menu, then play it again, at which point it works fine. This is on the Xbox One.

It didn't used to happen. It started around the time I dropped Hulu Live, but i'm not sure if it exactly coincided or not. Anyone else seen this? Is there a solution?

It's not a huge deal, it just means playing a show takes an extra few seconds, but it's mildly annoying.

Delete the app and reinstall it?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wish Netflix and other streaming services treated their content more like music.

Let me make Christmas playlists! Put in a 'random shuffle' button!

Having to click over to another page to add something to the watch list is super annoying. Hulu, a streaming service they also own, has the 'mouseover to add/play' why couldn't this?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    SteevL wrote: »
    I was disappointed to learn this morning that I do not qualify for Verizon's free one year of Disney+. Apparently my Unlimited data plan does not include the deal. Alas!

Apparently the version of A New Hope on Disney+ has yet another edited version of the Han vs. Greedo scene?

Yeah, Greedo yells Kobe! in this one.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Apparently
    Greedo still shoots first, but they added two more words he says before he fires, which apparently mean something like “I will end you.”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm amazed they haven't just removed Han firing at all and given him a walkie-talkie.

There was nothing wrong with the scene as is, George/Disney! Which pretty much sums up all the changes.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Behold, the reason I still have my Buffy DVDs on the shelf, and still watch the 480p rips I did from them:

Probably one of the worst examples out there, and great that this dude had so much time on his hands to really break it down.

EDIT: For the TLDW version, lots of lazy auto cropping, lots of what appears to be automatic postprocessing and color processing...including scenes that are supposed to be at night now appearing to be daylight (because they were darkened in post), that kind of thing. Just really, really bad.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I want to pay money for Disney+. You'd figure Japan would be one of the first to get it, considering they have two Disney parks.

Nope. Best I can tell is it's not coming until 2021. They got their own thing called Disney Deluxe, which of course doesn't have The Mandalorian.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I finished The Boys on Prime over the weekend

The Deep is fucking creepy - props to the actor and SFX team

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Behold, the reason I still have my Buffy DVDs on the shelf, and still watch the 480p rips I did from them:

Probably one of the worst examples out there, and great that this dude had so much time on his hands to really break it down.

EDIT: For the TLDW version, lots of lazy auto cropping, lots of what appears to be automatic postprocessing and color processing...including scenes that are supposed to be at night now appearing to be daylight (because they were darkened in post), that kind of thing. Just really, really bad.

There's legit scenes where lights and crew are visible in the remaster

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I finished The Boys on Prime over the weekend

The Deep is fucking creepy - props to the actor and SFX team

Hey, so did I! I really liked the show but my partner thought it was dumb as bricks. Lots of like 'okay, sure' moments, but it IS a show about super heroes so I just sorta let that stuff slide most of the time.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Jesus christ, it's like colourizing black and white movies all over again. It wasn't made for Widecreen you assholes. Just accept it for how it was made. Just fucking leave it be.

mcdermott wrote: »

God, I only watched like 5 random minutes in the middle of that video and it's like a goddamn crime scene. Just so sad to see how badly they fucked that up.

• Options
    That being said, I should rewatch Buffy again...

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Mandalorian was overall good. Some of it like riding the things was weird, and felt like it was just there to fill time. Also the run time of 38 minutes was hella bizarre.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Mandalorian was overall good. Some of it like riding the things was weird, and felt like it was just there to fill time. Also the run time of 38 minutes was hella bizarre.

The run time I appreciated because this was apparently the shortest episode of the season and in hindsight I think it may have ended up exactly as long as it should have been in that it had goals and accomplished them.

There's a dedicated thread now but as far as the riding goes:
    I took it as another example of how important the Mandalorian culture was to the main character. The armor forging scene got across to me as him caring about the culture but the learning to ride scene really drove it home. I will say there were parts of the riding montage that took me out of it a little due to the quality of the CGI but it wasn't anything major.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    That being said, I should rewatch Buffy again...

Hellmouths are something you must revisit occasionally.

And I just found out that Disney+ has the 90's X-Men and Iron Man cartoons. I know where my weekend is going.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Is there a site that I can use to see if a movie is available on all the hundred of streaming services?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is there a site that I can use to see if a movie is available on all the hundred of streaming services?

I use the JustWatch app on my phone.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Google search tells me https://www.justwatch.com/us is probably the most popular way to do that. I often just Google the movie itself and the answer usually appears.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The final season of You're the Worst finally dropped on Hulu, and I binged through it in like two days. It's a fantastic final season to a fantastic show, and the last episode is one of the best series finales I've ever seen, in that it just perfectly encapsulates the themes of the show, who the characters are, and where they should logically end up.

Except now I'm out of new episodes and I'm sad.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The final season of You're the Worst finally dropped on Hulu, and I binged through it in like two days. It's a fantastic final season to a fantastic show, and the last episode is one of the best series finales I've ever seen, in that it just perfectly encapsulates the themes of the show, who the characters are, and where they should logically end up.

The PTSD episode was really well done.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    In general, the show's treatment of mental health issues was pretty great.

That Aya Cash never got an Emmy nom is a tragedy.

Fake edit: Holy shit, I just saw that she was cast in season 2 of The Boys! Fuck yes!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

This show sounds like the anti-Friends. Is that accurate? Less sitcom, more real. Still funny.

I'm looking for another show to watch with my wife since we're at the end of Brooklyn 99.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I ugly cried during the last episode. It's one of my favorite shows and is one of the few of those that totally nailed the ending.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

This show sounds like the anti-Friends. Is that accurate? Less sitcom, more real. Still funny.

I'm looking for another show to watch with my wife since we're at the end of Brooklyn 99.

It's very quick and smart with the jokes, isn't afraid to tackle real problems, and understands their characters such that by the end of every season they've changed and grown and regressed in realistic ways. They are all flawed but also loveable and real and I miss them and their lives.

This discussion has been closed.