As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Wtf is up with these magically tracker fobs? Did Yoda get chipped by Herzog, or do they just work like Jack Sparrow's compass and point you straight to your heart's desire?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    My assumption is that the tracker is put somewhere that makes it nearly impossible to disable or remove outside of a high-class medical facility. The Mando already knows this and therefore is focused on a more realistic plan such as hiding out until the heat dies down and/or the bounty is rescinded. He and the assassin droid were the only ones who found the child even though everyone else had a tracker fob, too, so it isn't like the technology is infallible.

Other than that the whole tracker thing is definitely one of those things where less is more, in terms of explanation. Otherwise you very quickly get into midichlorian territory.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I’m good with never actually explaining tracker fobs. I don’t need that level of information to enjoy my space western.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Just...don't have them? The job of a bounty hunter is to literally track down people. If less is more, show less tracking fobs, please.

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Wtf is up with these magically tracker fobs? Did Yoda get chipped by Herzog, or do they just work like Jack Sparrow's compass and point you straight to your heart's desire?
    The fob led Mando to the kid before Herzog got his hands on Boda, so if it’s tracking anything it wasn’t planted by Herzog *
    He and the assassin droid were the only ones who found the child even though everyone else had a tracker fob, too, so it isn't like the technology is infallible.
    From what Nick Nolte was saying about helping other bounty hunters out (who all got killed), it doesn’t sound like finding the bounty was the hard part.

I’m a bit torn about the tracker tbh — I really enjoyed the moment last episode where the trackers all lit up once Mando had escaped with Baby Yoda, but it seems strange to me that Boda would have anything implanted anywhere for any reason, since anyone who wanted the kid to be trackable would probably have pretty nefarious reasons and would have just killed / cloned / experimented on the kid to begin with.

(Unless it’s some kind of situation where Herzog / someone else is just trying to recover the kid after it previously escaped...)

(* see above I guess)

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Just...don't have them? The job of a bounty hunter is to literally track down people. If less is more, show less tracking fobs, please.

Its a quick way to show the viewer shits gone bad and they cant stay

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I have to assume it's a DNA tracker. Nothing else makes sense. I assume you still need to find the right planet though.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I assume the whole reason the baby was at the original bounty hunter camp was because they either stole it from its people for Herzog, then reneged trying to get more money, or stole it from the Imperials after the Imps got it.

I assume it eas alrrady tagged. And yeah, bounty hunters find things, but when you're trying to track stuff across star systems, a little help is in order.

And keep in mind most of his bounties were bail jumpers. They were probably tagged in the process of setting bail.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I have to assume it's a DNA tracker. Nothing else makes sense. I assume you still need to find the right planet though.

Probably something like that. I get the idea of the trackers. If you think about it, if someone wanted to run it would be nearly impossible to find them.
    In the SW universe they have ships that are small enough for one person that can jump to hyperspace. Without some sort of tracker, no bounty hunter would be skilled enough to track down a target.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, its gotta work on some kind of bio-signature and only at close (on the same planet) range.

They didn't get found until some time had passed after the village was saved. So, enough time for word to get off planet about some warrior in shiny armor that helped rout a band of raiders.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Probably something like that. I get the idea of the trackers. If you think about it, if someone wanted to run it would be nearly impossible to find them.
    In the SW universe they have ships that are small enough for one person that can jump to hyperspace. Without some sort of tracker, no bounty hunter would be skilled enough to track down a target.

I believe the tracker itself only works on the planet. You still have to get that part right on your own or be given coordinates. I think that’s what herzog gave him at the beginning, right? Here’s the planet and here’s the fob, the rest is up to you.

It’s not hard to see how one of the bounty hunters would find him, they would do the same math he did and just start working through planets. They had been there for “weeks” at that point.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I do wonder what the resolution of the show is going to be at this point. Because given their ability to track, it seems like the only real move at this point is to make a beeline for the core worlds and hand him over to Luke and the republic.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    What is the deal with the "anyone can be a Mandalorian" thing? I know that they care more about their traditions and history than they do their blood, which is why stuff like foundlings exist, but can anyone be a Mandalorian? Like, if an Abnedo or a Rodian was adopted as a war orphan could they become Mando? Or is it human-like only?

If they allow aliens to become Mandalorian as a response to being nearly wiped out then that would explain why they won't allow them to remove their helmets in public. If no one see's a Mando's face ever then they won't know how bad it is and exactly how close the actual race came to being exterminated entirely.

Or shit, maybe they were wiped out. Maybe there's only like a handful left and the rest are all foundlings trying to carry on the legacy. If no one can take off their helmets in public then it would be pretty much impossible to figure out. Unless you killed a ridiculous amount of them at once and went through identifying them.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mandos are a culture, not a race. So yeah, anyone can be one.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I do wonder what the resolution of the show is going to be at this point. Because given their ability to track, it seems like the only real move at this point is to make a beeline for the core worlds and hand him over to Luke and the republic.

Nah, I don't think the Jedi are going to be involved here. Disney isn't going to kill off a baby Yoda and Luke wouldn't have abandoned an untrained baby Yoda if one was handed to him.

Not to mention that the problem here is the one guy handing out tracking fobs like candy, and there's a rather more direct and certain way to deal with that problem than running off to the core.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    reVerse wrote: »
    Mandos are a culture, not a race. So yeah, anyone can be one.

They are both a culture and a race.

Edit: there's both the people sort of native to the planet Mandalore (I believe they were called the tong (sp) who came to Mandalore after a natural disaster on Coruscant) and the various cultures and tribes who came together after to form what we know as Mandalorians today. It's a sort of vague analogue to Judaism.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Mandalorians as a race are extinct. Hence it now just being a culture.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Source?

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Source?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Taung

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Don't you destroy the remnants of Mandalore in the evil ending of KOTOR II?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Source?
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Taung
    All that stuff is non-Canon. There's no reference to a Mandalorian race in the Canon.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Well.... that's what we're getting now, isn't it? Stay tuned!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    AFAIK it’s not really clear anymore whether mandos were/are an alien race, a human subgroup, or just a cultural/religious. At one point evidently there were enough of them to have a homeworld, but even that seems to be unclear

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    AFAIK it’s not really clear anymore whether mandos were/are an alien race, a human subgroup, or just a cultural/religious. At one point evidently there were enough of them to have a homeworld, but even that seems to be unclear

It's not really that unclear, Mandalore is prominently featured in The Clone Wars.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Since Rebels is canon, there definitely is/was a Mandalore homeworld and the Mandalorians were strong enough to keep the Empire from invading it, at least for a while. In the books, anybody can be a Mando if they want to join up; whether that's going to hold up is yet to be seen, because so far it seems like basically everybody is human (or of a race close enough to human to be indistinguishable). We do know that they will take on orphans regardless of Mando heritage or not, and that being a Mando is voluntary rather than a requirement (there's literally nothing stopping the Mando from leaving, other than he doesn't want to).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    As Mandalorian feels very much like a religion, it also can stand to reason there are various sects and movements in it. Perhaps at one point there were a race as well?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Mando straight-up says weapons are part of his religion, so I think we can take it as canon at this point that it is a religion, among other things. He might have been joking, though.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The Mando straight-up says weapons are part of his religion, so I think we can take it as canon at this point that it is a religion, among other things. He might have been joking, though.
    His tone when saying that gave me a strong impression that he was joking. I could be wrong though.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I kind of took it as both. Like yeah, the armor and being armed are a part of his religion, but also he's halfheartedly using it as an excuse because he doesn't want to let go of his rifle around these Jawas.

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I'm so happy I can say, for once, that the writers have put just as much thought into this as we are here

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I feel like wanting hard explanations for how stuff works is how we got midichlorians.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I feel like wanting hard explanations for how stuff works is how we got midichlorians.

Right, but, like...some stuff of the stuff in this show doesn't jive with what we saw in Clone Wars and Rebels. Those Mandos didn't make a big deal about keeping helmets on.

And yet, I trust the people making this show to have thought about that already, and that there is an explanation that I just don't know yet.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Those Mandos also still had a homeworld, and lived above ground in large numbers. The time difference between the shows and the implied events give enough room for a drastic change of lifestyle.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Right, but, like...some stuff of the stuff in this show doesn't jive with what we saw in Clone Wars and Rebels. Those Mandos didn't make a big deal about keeping helmets on.

And yet, I trust the people making this show to have thought about that already, and that there is an explanation that I just don't know yet.

Dave Filoni is a writer and Executive Producer for The Mandalorian and has directed two of its episodes (one of which was the series opener).

His other credits include:
    Director - Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film)
    Supervising Director - Star Wars: The Clone Wars (series)
    Creator, Writer, Executive Producer, Director - Star Wars Rebels

I'm pretty sure he knows what happened in the animated stuff.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I imagine this branch is more of a hardcore set. Where as other mandos are more mando casual you know the lifeday and Empiral defeat day crowd.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    His tone when saying that gave me a strong impression that he was joking. I could be wrong though.
    Cookies are part of my religion.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Those Mandos also still had a homeworld, and lived above ground in large numbers. The time difference between the shows and the implied events give enough room for a drastic change of lifestyle.

Right, exactly. Anyone else I'd be suspicious that they hadn't read the source material. With Favreau and Filoni I bet they know exactly what happened.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Caught up last night. This is pretty great.
    He was not really that far away when he took off his helmet

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    And standing right in front of an open window, too.

This discussion has been closed.