As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    What's funny is that for how much Star Wars is lightsabers. Star Wars has been almost entirely not lightsabers.

In fact I'm willing to go on the record that the goodness of a star wars is inverse to the amount of lightsabers.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the thing that they've set up though is like, can you imagine if in episode 7 or 8 someone ignites a lightsaber??? just like oh fuck oh shit

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    the thing that they've set up though is like, can you imagine if in episode 7 or 8 someone ignites a lightsaber??? just like oh fuck oh shit

It would be an oh shit kind of moment, much like one AT ST was a monster, a single force user busting out a light saber? Shit just got real.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Baby Yoda versus Werner Herzog.

I mean, really, whoever did that Baby Yoda versus Palpatine edit really dropped the ball by not going all the way with it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What's funny is that for how much Star Wars is lightsabers. Star Wars has been almost entirely not lightsabers.

In fact I'm willing to go on the record that the goodness of a star wars is inverse to the amount of lightsabers.

nah. I get wanting media that is not about the Jedi or Sith. But like Jedi and Sith are pretty critical for Star Wars and them being in stories does not make it worse.

This was my favorite thing about the early days of the Star Wars Galaxies MMO.
    The first time you saw a lightsaber, it was a real moment.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I feel like you disagreed with me while also confirming what I said.

I like to ART
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Firefly sucked and it was good it only lasted one brief season.

#truefactswithpreacher

Boo this man! BOOOOO! BOOOOO!

• Options

When it comes to Jedi/Sith in Star Wars, sometimes less can be more. Like in the Mandalorian, or Galaxies, or Rogue One.

But, imo, that doesn't mean the inverse like you are saying: that more Jedi/Sith is bad. The most compelling stories in Star Wars are almost always centered around force users, lightsabers and all. Obi/Anakin, Vader/Luke, Ahsoka/Anakin, Revan, Cere/Trillo, Rey/Kylo, Palpatine, etc are all interesting and do not make Star Wars less good the more they are in it.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

When it comes to Jedi/Sith in Star Wars, sometimes less can be more. Like in the Mandalorian, or Galaxies, or Rogue One.

But, imo, that doesn't mean the inverse like you are saying: that more Jedi/Sith is bad. The most compelling stories in Star Wars are almost always centered around force users, lightsabers and all. Obi/Anakin, Vader/Luke, Ahsoka/Anakin, Revan, Cere/Trillo, Rey/Kylo, Palpatine, etc are all interesting and do not make Star Wars less good the more they are in it.

I think you're reading too deeply into what I'm saying.

Clone wars has the most lightsabers and is the worst movie by a long shot, Revenge has the longest and worst lightsaber fight.

QED.

I like to ART
  • Options

Clone wars has the most lightsabers and is the worst movie by a long shot, Revenge has the longest and worst lightsaber fight.

QED.

By that logic, Solo has less lightsabers than TLJ, so...

• Options

QED.

By that logic, Solo has less lightsabers than TLJ, so...

Solo had weird light daggers, far too many of them if you ask me.

Also my only big problem with solo was that Han was the main character not Lando.

Also also, a Solo movie should have zero force user stuff as per why he thinks its wacky mumbo jumbo...so it gets a pass on that angle too.

I like to ART
  • Options
    :rotate:

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

The only way this works is if its involving 2 third parties and his response is "uh, nooooope" and he gets out the back door before anything starts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

The only way this works is if its involving 2 third parties and his response is "uh, nooooope" and he gets out the back door before anything starts.

“Get back in the speeder. We’re leaving.”
    for the first and last time in the entire show, Boda immediately and purposefully obeys Mando-dad

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    I wonder if mark Hamil can make his voice sound like young luke and if they would ever use the deaging tech to have a short cameo like that

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah they'll just cast James Dean, he's the only one who can pull that off.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

“Get back in the speeder. We’re leaving.”
    for the first and last time in the entire show, Boda immediately and purposefully obeys Mando-dad

You almost had it. Should have taken it that one step further.

The Mandadlorian.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Mandalorian without his helmet
    mt6n1nrfvwup.jpg
    You think you're better than me?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Listen I'm not going to say that there is a version of red harvest/ 7 samurai/ first full of dollars that i dont enjoy.
    But i have yet to find it

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    If they are aping different Westerns, how long before they do “Paint Your Wagon”?

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Watching the start of ep 4 again tonight, it struck me how it started with the peaceful krill, swimming around in their watery world, and then zoom out to them being harvested by the giant humans. Then we see the humans being "harvested" in their turn (by something which is giant to them). Deliberate? What if the krill had gotten to the Mando first with their sob story?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Watching the start of ep 4 again tonight, it struck me how it started with the peaceful krill, swimming around in their watery world, and then zoom out to them being harvested by the giant humans. Then we see the humans being "harvested" in their turn (by something which is giant to them). Deliberate? What if the krill had gotten to the Mando first with their sob story?

We'd find out how much krill baby Yoda eats in one sitting?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited December 2019

The series is basically "mando shows up and fucks up the status quo wherever he goes". You could argue 'where the fuck did a bunch of barbarians who have to raid for food to survive, get a AT-ST?' as the first mucking with the order of things, so *shrug*.
    The meathead protagonist in demolition man can take 10 seconds to go 'wait....... they are stealing food?'

I feel like if this were a stargate SG-1 episode, you would find out that this is actually colonialism in action, those people settled on land belonging to those raiders and this is their means of continued survival as the natives. "But they have a tank" really doesnt work when it seems like noone knew about it and they hadn't used it until someone with equal force showed up to attack them.

edit: (This isnt that show, and thats ok) That said, I enjoyed the episode for what it was.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

The series is basically "mando shows up and fucks up the status quo wherever he goes". You could argue 'where the fuck did a bunch of barbarians who have to raid for food to survive, get a AT-ST?' as the first mucking with the order of things, so *shrug*.
    The meathead protagonist in demolition man can take 10 seconds to go 'wait....... they are stealing food?'

I feel like if this were a stargate SG-1 episode, you would find out that this is actually colonialism in action, those people settled on land belonging to those raiders and this is their means of continued survival as the natives. "But they have a tank" really doesnt work when it seems like noone knew about it and they hadn't used it until someone with equal force showed up to attack them.

edit: (This isnt that show, and thats ok) That said, I enjoyed the episode for what it was.

They totally used the AT-ST on defenseless krill farmers in the cold open, that's what all the thumping and the big red blaster bolts from midway up the trees was.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Ahhh I must have missed that. But in that case, they kind of purposefully deceived him in asking for help. Either way they paid him to do what he did, it's just all a bit of a stretch to me. That does make it clear if they wanted the land itself they could have taken it though, they wanted to keep raiding and to keep their parasitic relationship going.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They did purposefully leave out the walker when selling the job. The shocktrooper even calls the villagers out on it when she's giving their report.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Ahhh I must have missed that. But in that case, they kind of purposefully deceived him in asking for help. Either way they paid him to do what he did, it's just all a bit of a stretch to me. That does make it clear if they wanted the land itself they could have taken it though, they wanted to keep raiding and to keep their parasitic relationship going.

Indeed, which is actually addressed in the show.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I thought Bryce Dallas Howard did a pretty decent directorial job too.
    A little iffy in a few parts, but all in all she did great.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-mandalorian-bryce-dallas-howard-1203421211/

What was the process of choreographing the fight sequence between Mando and Cara Dune?

The most important thing was that it didn’t feel like a stretch. Gina and Mando’s stunt double were running from the AT-ST at one point and Gina bested him and he said to me, “Oh my gosh, she’s faster than me.” There was one take in the raider camp with all the vats, and let me preface this by saying that Gina is very, very adept at doing stunt choreography and not hurting anyone she’s working with. But that one take she kicked someone, it was totally planned, but there was more contact than usual and from where I was standing looking at the monitor, I thought there was a wire on the guy. He went flying back, I thought it was a gag. I asked, “Who put a wire on that guy?” And people said that wasn’t a wire, that was the force of Gina’s kick.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Now available for pre-order at a toy store near you, Baby Yoda merch:

https://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-child-11--34--plush/-/A-79318437
    https://www.target.com/p/funko-pop--star-wars---the-child--baby-yoda-/-/A-79314088
    https://www.target.com/p/funko-pop--star-wars---10--34--the-child--baby-yoda-/-/A-79314090

I prefer the plush myself. Releases in like March or May sometime.

wdVzLKk.jpg
    pHmWs5c.jpg

Get 'em while they're hot!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

Indeed, which is actually addressed in the show.

It's also yet another direct callback to Seven Samurai, in which their is palpable tension and lack of candor between the village and its would-be protectors.

Star Wars has never been about blazing new narrative trails, and I'm okay with that. As long as it's well-done. This is well done.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Like, I've long held the opinion that it would be fun to see a series of, "[X], but in Star Wars" movies / shows.

So this is just totally hitting every single right note for me.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Girlfriend just sent me this. Made me smile.

• Options
    Gawddamnit. Is it Friday yet?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

It's not that lightsabers make things worse, I love a good lightsaber battle. I think the problem is more that the core Star Wars saga is so hyper-focused on Jedi/force/lightsabers that all kinds of other cool stuff gets left on the wayside. I love Rogue One/Mandalorian/the X-Wing novels because of the other parts of the universe it explores.

Also, is Mando using the sniper rifle from the Jedi Knight games? The effect seems VERY similar.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

It's not that lightsabers make things worse, I love a good lightsaber battle. I think the problem is more that the core Star Wars saga is so hyper-focused on Jedi/force/lightsabers that all kinds of other cool stuff gets left on the wayside. I love Rogue One/Mandalorian/the X-Wing novels because of the other parts of the universe it explores.

Also, is Mando using the sniper rifle from the Jedi Knight games? The effect seems VERY similar.

yeah it definitely has the same effect, but it doesn't look the same. they refer to it as a plasma rifle in this episode i believe.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

yeah it definitely has the same effect, but it doesn't look the same. they refer to it as a plasma rifle in this episode i believe.

They both fire disintegration rounds, but they're different weapons. Mando's rifle is a direct visual callback to the rifle Boba Fett had in the Christmas Special, the Amban Phase-pulse Blaster.

krDWNW8.jpg

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Pulse rifle, and it's actually a call-back to the Holiday Special :rotate:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-rifle-from-the-mandalorian-is-a-blast-from-star-war-1829729845

::shakes tiny fist at reVerse::

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Is somebody gonna tell him because I don't want to be the one to tell him

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
This discussion has been closed.