As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    I don't think oddsmakers have a good grasp on XFL talent.
    Think by game 5 or 6 the betting lines will be a touch tighter, and closer to what you would expect.

Excitement!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Lines are usually pretty off the first two weeks of NFL games as well.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Watching the Dallas/LA XFL game. It’s, ok. It has the veneer of real football but there’s some bad play and a lot of inaccurate passes.

Mostly the things I like best are the new sources of audio like hearing the coaches and refs.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Watching the Dallas/LA XFL game. It’s, ok. It has the veneer of real football but there’s some bad play and a lot of inaccurate passes.

Mostly the things I like best are the new sources of audio like hearing the coaches and refs.

That reporter laying down to interview the player was the silliest thing.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Those instant interviews are intriguing, but don’t seem to bring much value. The answers all seem to just be vague platitudes. The QB who threw a pick goes on to say that he needs to play better.

Not much insight. I think secretly they hope one of them will start talking shit about their teammates in the heat of the moment. I mean, that’s what I’m hoping for.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Those instant interviews are intriguing, but don’t seem to bring much value. The answers all seem to just be vague platitudes. The QB who threw a pick goes on to say that he needs to play better.

Not much insight. I think secretly they hope one of them will start talking shit about their teammates in the heat of the moment. I mean, that’s what I’m hoping for.

McGloin shit all over his team.

ESPN wrote:
    Matt McGloin at halftime to diannaESPN
    : "We need to change the whole entire gameplan."

Head coach Kevin Gilbride: "I need to go talk to him & figure out what the problem is because he needs to play better."

Then McGloin threw a pick-six on their next drive.

Matt McGloin gets benched after completing 8-of-19 pass attempts with 2 INT, then proceeds to rip his team/coach while the 4th quarter is still being played.

This is peak XFL

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Does the WWE still own the XFL, because that sounds straight out of a Monday Night Raw episode.

• Options
    Other than McMahon, I don't know the direct connection between the two.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Does the WWE still own the XFL, because that sounds straight out of a Monday Night Raw episode.

No, the XFL is under a different McMahon owned company this time (Alpha Entertainment).

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ya Vince actually sold a bunch of wwe stock to finance this league. Supposedly it's financed for 3 years with tv revenue expected to offset early losses in later seasons.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    WTF?!

Trump just pardoned Ed DeBartolo for his gambling fraud conviction.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    WTF?!

Its gross guys like Jim Brown and Jerry Rice were at the white house to champion this move. "Yes the wrongful conviction of someone who's super rich and did the thing he was accused of."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    WTF?!

Its gross guys like Jim Brown and Jerry Rice were at the white house to champion this move. "Yes the wrongful conviction of someone who's super rich and did the thing he was accused of."

Rich people stick together.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    WTF?!

Now I’m even more happy that KC beat the Niners.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    WTF?!

Trump, only likes "those lessers", whom entertained him.

So don't be shocked if he starts getting the likes of Don King and Mike Tyson (yikes, he's gonna pardon Tyson's past charges isn't he!?)

And yes, I just lost respect for Brown. Like man, seriously!?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    If we're going to do that, can we just go to eight, and do away with the bye altogether?

Finishing in first place, getting to play the worst (record wise) team in each Championship Round, always at home, should be a sufficient enough advantage, IMO.

The dropoff between 2nd and 3rd in a Conference seems significantly worse than the dropoff from 4th to 5th.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I actually think I like this, though I haven’t thought deeply about it. This will help make sure actually good 10-6 or 11-5 teams don’t get shafted by a crappy division winner. It also makes the 1 seed a massive target, which I think is kind of awesome. It does give the 1’s a huge advantages, though and I wonder how often we’ll end up seeing 1v1 Super Bowls even more often.

But I also think that’s kind of ok.

Not sure yet but my initial reaction isn’t negative.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I wonder how many losing teams we'll get in the playoffs now.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I also heard a report that they are trying to extend the season to 17 games and chop off a preseason game, but obviously that needs to be negotiated with the NFLPA. Though the report skipped that disclaimer and made it sound like Schefter announced both.

17 games does explain Eli and Garett leaving their jobs. Harder to be .500 with an odd number of games.

• Options

Probably no more than before? The only way that happens realistically is if there’s a losing team division winner and there won’t be any more of those.

• Options
    Six wrote: »

Probably no more than before? The only way that happens realistically is if there’s a losing team division winner and there won’t be any more of those.

Yeah. Adding a team will increase the chance for a team with a winning record.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    we should just do 8 team playoffs so that we can also asterisk all of the brady/chick titles as bye titles and devalue them in the same way we talk about presuperbowl era records

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    we should just do 8 team playoffs so that we can also asterisk all of the brady/chick titles as bye titles and devalue them in the same way we talk about presuperbowl era records

Make it 9 teams so hockey isn’t the only sport where almost half the teams don’t make the playoffs

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Yeah. Adding a team will increase the chance for a team with a winning record*.

*9-7 record probably, which technically is a winning record but is also a team that is one or two plays away from being considered mediocre.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    They should just make it 8 teams and be done with it. Plus then you get the high drama of the #8 seed cinderella story sometimes beating the #1 seed

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The 6 teams is better. You get
    4 division races
    a race for a bye
    a race for HFA
    the wild cards

Now you'll get the
    4 division
    Bye
    plus wild cards

For the advantage of 1 extra playoff game per conference with a team not good enough to be in it now.

There will be many more meaningless games for strong teams and we're going to get shitty teams in the playoffs. No one wanted to see Duck throwing passes for the 8-8 Steelers in the playoffs.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    They should just make it 8 teams and be done with it. Plus then you get the high drama of the #8 seed cinderella story sometimes beating the #1 seed

I don't think they should do this

but! If they do it? Just have the first round be division championship round, #1 hosts #2 for the actual Division title. Winners go to a Conference Semi-final, then a Conference Championship, then the Owl.

But I don't think they should do that

And I'm generally cool with the 7-team play off. Wild Card teams going on post season runs have almost always been good and also got us the Helmet Catch

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Yeah. Adding a team will increase the chance for a team with a winning record*.

*9-7 record probably, which technically is a winning record but is also a team that is one or two plays away from being considered mediocre.

I figured you were right, but I went looking at the last 5 years anyways... These would be the teams each year that qualified for the seventh spot had it been implemented.

Jets 10-6**
    Falcons 8-8

Titans 9-7* (tb/Broncos)
    Bucs 9-7*

Ravens 9-7* (tb/Chargers)
    Lions 9-7 (tb/Seahawks&Cowboys)

Steelers 9-6-1
    Vikings 8-7-1

Steelers 8-8
    Rams 9-7*

(tb/X) means that they'd have squeezed in over team X with the same record.
    * indicates they lost out on sixth to a team on tiebreakers
    ** The Jets in 2015 are the only team in the last five years to have lost out with a record HIGHER than the 6th seed.

While a lot of mediocrity has been lost to me over the years, I can say one thing. Adding the Steelers and Rams this past year, would have added next to nothing to the playoffs. Sure, they might have acted as a spoiler, and maybe someone else makes the playoffs, cause "any given Sunday", but neither team were SuperBowl capable.

• Options
    In other news, looks like Cleveland can't catch a break.

"Browns’ OT Greg Robinson was alleged to have 157 pounds - 157 pounds! - of marijuana in “several large duffle bags in the rear cargo area” in El Paso, Texas today."
    - Adam Schefter is an ESPN reporter.

The complaint definitely looks like there's going to be a dispute over who owned the drugs. The authorities are confident it's Robinson (as that's who they're charging), but with the claim that Robinson tried to get a third member to take the fall, but unless there's audio of that offer being made, that's clearly where his defense lawyer is going to go. Cause else he's FUKT.

And even if he escapes criminality, we know how Rog feels about "detriment to the sport" and especially the devil weed. So, even if he skates on the criminal charges, I expect some kind of suspension, especially if it's not expidited, and Robinson's case isn't heard until after the start of the season.

And given he's been relatively mediocre, he's unlikely to be given the "star player disciplinary discount", and I can see the Browns not going to bat for him, and quite probably releasing him.

So, it's likely that the Browns now need to recruit/free agent a new OT. Like they didn't have enough issues.

• Options
    The really interesting thing is holy shit that’s enough pot to smoke an eighth a day for 55 years.

• Options
    Drugs in that quantity becomes Intent to Distribute. Which is a much harsher sentence.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    That’s a stupid crime. I don’t mean because he’s a pro athlete. I mean because he could have gotten 157 pounds of weed in Canada and it’s way closer than Texas, and it’s a slap on the wrist there. Maybe an 8 hour drive and there are boats that go across quite regularly.

zepherin on
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    That’s a stupid crime. I don’t mean because he’s a pro athlete. I mean because he could have gotten 157 pounds of weed in Canada and it’s way closer than Texas, and it’s a slap on the wrist there. Maybe an 8 hour drive and there are boats that go across quite regularly.

As @Santa Claustrophobia mentioned, at that quantity it's about distribution.

And if it's about distribution, it's about profit margins. Even buying wholesale in Canada is probably not going to have the same margin.

As the saying goes, "No risk it, no biscuit". And having been brought up as likely a star player (being drafted 2nd indicates a level of talent that probably had him skate through highschool and college without real consequences-for-actions), that tends to cloud people's visions on what the downsides of risk really mean.

There's a strangeness to how belief in oneself can have you woefully underestimate negative consequences. "I believe, therefore I can't lose" leads to some pretty dramatic failures.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Isn't it legal in California? Why not cross there and then drive to Texas?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Crossing the border anywhere is a federal matter.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Even in California they're not gonna overlook 157 lbs of marijuana in the trunk.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Crossing the border anywhere is a federal matter.

But you don't go through customs. He could have gone to California, Washington, Colorado, or Michigan and likely wouldn't have been noticed.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    knitdan wrote: »
    Even in California they're not gonna overlook 157 lbs of marijuana in the trunk.

Yeah, even where it's legalized it's still heavily regulated. You can't be moving that kind of product around without the proper papers.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Krieghund wrote: »

No, the XFL is under a different McMahon owned company this time (Alpha Entertainment).

Fucking of course McMahon owns a company called "Alpha Entertainment"

You don't get more on-brand than that.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.