As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Baker Mayfield is why Oklahoma gets Cleveland, presumably.

Gotcha. Forgot that college football is a factor in these things.

It's definitely a weird cultural thing, that Americans put such emotional investment in the college they attended, as some kind of tribal thing.

Harvard or Yale for law/business, or Stamford or MIT for the tech, or across the pond, Cambridge or Oxford, I could maybe understand.

But I haven't thought of my university in a meaningful way in 20 years, and it's just not a cultural thing in my non-American circles of friends.

Most Oklahoma fans didn’t actually go to Oklahoma. College football is a regional thing.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I still get a chuckle when St. Louis ends up with a Rams/Cardinals game.

Scheduling can be weird sometimes. After Oakland jettisons California, their games will still be broadcast in LA and the bay because fans are masochistic.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Scheduling can be weird sometimes. After Oakland jettisons California, their games will still be broadcast in LA and the bay because fans are masochistic.

Oakland has effectively already jettisoned California. I have no idea why anyone goes to a Raiders home game this year. They team clearly doesn't care for the fans there.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Oakland has effectively already jettisoned California. I have no idea why anyone goes to a Raiders home game this year. They team clearly doesn't care for the fans there.

Raider fans are crazy. After the left LA, there was still a weekly 'state of the team' TV show. When possible, their games were broadcast locally.

• Options
    Final check

Indiana got screwed.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Oakland in the shit. Which makes me happy.

But Pittsburgh benching Rudolph for bad play pays off.

You don't get a better statline than...
    Duck Hodges, 2/2, 90yds, TD.
    Only got backwards to go from there.

Not a lot to look forward to today. I need to be in bed before the night game, and as I don't watch Patriots games, and I won't watch Jags/Tennessee (rather get a paper cut and pour lemon into it), that means just the early games. And only one that seems interesting. Tomorrow night has potential though.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Ugh, that was super frustrating watching the Eagles' D do almost everything in its power, except score themselves, to keep them in the game. The offense shooting itself in the foot with turnovers, and even Seattle doing its best to shoot itself in the foot with penalties.

Ugh, super ugly game. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Only watched the last 2 minutes of the Lions game. Went about as well as expected

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Philly's D is coming out of that looking better than they should, score wise. That Metcalf drop and Wilson overthrow left 10 on the field through no effort on Philly's end.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    bleh dallas patriots
    when is the meteor getting here

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Frank Gore passed Barry Sanders for No. 3 on the all time yardage list while the Bill's beat the Broncs and the Jets took ass and kicked names in spanking the Raiders by 31. All in all, an effective set of early games from my perspective.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I get the feeling that coaches start fucking up creatively when playing across from Belichick because they don't want to look foolish when Belichick pulls some obscure play out of his ass.

How else to explain moving the ball well and then getting too cute on third down?

• Options
    I get the feeling that coaches start fucking up creatively when playing across from Belichick because they don't want to look foolish when Belichick pulls some obscure play out of his ass.

How else to explain moving the ball well and then getting too cute on third down?

Belichick is Keyser Soze.

"How can you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?"

And you definitely think he'd kill his family if it meant beating his opponents.
    Also, he looks a little like an elderly Kevin Spacey, with just a little less child rapist. That short sleeve hoodie does him no favors in that comparison.

• Options
    That was fucking impressive.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I wish I didn’t dislike the Patriots so deep to my core because watching their opponents shit themselves in the most comically inept ways is a beautiful thing.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Not sure if Jason Garrett needs an excuse.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Today’s matchup was the only way it’s possible for me to ever find any joy in a patriots win.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Today’s matchup was the only way it’s possible for me to ever find any joy in a patriots win.

A friend pointed out that the one good reason to root for the Cowboys is so that Jerry Jones has to pay Dak Prescott 40 mil/year. Which, yeah.

• Options

Not sure if Jason Garrett needs an excuse.

Eight and eight! Eight and eight! Eight and eight! Eight and eight! Eight and eight! Eight and eight! Eight and eight! Eight and eight!

• Options
    Things are going well for the Lions....

Adam Schefter:

Lions had interest in signing QB Josh Johnson but XFL blocked them, per source.

• Options
    I'm not sure who got screwed harder.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    But remember Colin Kaepernick is a terrible QB and could find no place in the NFL.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    What? You mean the NFL doesn't have a deal to poach players from another league? But, but all those people on the internet said that guys would take minimum wage to play in the XFL to get a shot at the NFL.

:D

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Seriously why the fuck would anyone play in the XFL now

Or is it only quarterbacks they would block (QBs get way more money in the XFL)

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I assume it was just a workout or something that the XFL blocked; even the vet minimum is way more than the XFL pays if there was actually a contract on the table

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Seattle/Philly was an excruciating game to watch. I seriously have no idea how Seattle is 9-2. They’ve only lost to other 2-loss teams as well, which makes their record look better than I think it actually is; Every game is a heart attack and could easily have gone the other way without a couple of breaks. It was nice to see them win a game without Wilson playing like the MVP, though. Diggs has been an absolute stud and I can’t thank Detroit enough for the inexplicable trade.

I’ll take it so far, and that we’re in spitting distance of a first round bye is nuts.

Every NFC team has some significant flaws, though. The playoffs will be fun.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Re: Lamar Jackson

College football fans 1304932, NFL scouts 3

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Seattle/Philly was an excruciating game to watch. I seriously have no idea how Seattle is 9-2. They’ve only lost to other 2-loss teams as well, which makes their record look better than I think it actually is; Every game is a heart attack and could easily have gone the other way without a couple of breaks. It was nice to see them win a game without Wilson playing like the MVP, though. Diggs has been an absolute stud and I can’t thank Detroit enough for the inexplicable trade.

I’ll take it so far, and that we’re in spitting distance of a first round bye is nuts.

I think at home in shitty weather Packers is the best NFC team out there which means they are in trouble after losing to San Francisco (and would be in trouble in the Super Bowl vs any of the top three teams.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Re: Lamar Jackson

College football fans 1304932, NFL scouts 3

Sean McVay is broken. He can now, officially be the next Lions head coach after Patricia gets shitcanned next season.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

It certainly helped that Philly was about to start signing people off the street to play WR. Couldn't buy enough time for Wentz to work enough magic to throw anything further than 7 yards. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    San Fran is frighteningly good. 9'er defense is

At this point I'd put my money on whichever NFC team makes it to the Superb Owl to win the whole damn thing.

Well, unless the AFC team is the Ravens. That team is scary.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    The Ravens look ridiculous. Thank you, Lamar for leading my fantasy team to regular season domination.

I think SF is the class of the NFC right now. Next week @Baltimore will be fun to watch.

I think the Packers are fraudulent and last night didn’t help their case.

• Options
    The Ravens look ridiculous. Thank you, Lamar for leading my fantasy team to regular season domination.

I think SF is the class of the NFC right now. Next week @Baltimore will be fun to watch.

Every last team in the NFC save the Niners has been exposed at this point and I'm sort of wondering if the Ravens are going to pull their card this week.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Every last team in the NFC save the Niners has been exposed at this point and I'm sort of wondering if the Ravens are going to pull their card this week.

I’m not sold on Jimmy G at all, and if he has to play from behind against a ball hawking defense, I think he might get exposed. The Ravens are no joke.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

As a Packers fan, I completely agree. Honestly this year was supposed to be somewhat of a rebuilding year. We've got so much "debt" when it comes to drafting due to many years of Ted Thompson being Ted Thompson. The fact that we're 8-3 and have a very good chance of being 12-4 by the end of the season is frankly an already high bar that we might clear. Winning the NFC North will be a stretch goal, but we have so many flaws that need fixing. No way do we have a deep playoff run.

Plus, fuck playing the Ravens in the Superb Owl. No thanks, they look scary.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Niners lost to Seattle...

Seattle is a 8-8 team that has had every break fall their way.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The Ravens lost to the Chiefs and the Browns, so I'm not sure why they still need to pull their card. Recency bias is a hell of a drug.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    The Ravens lost to the Chiefs and the Browns, so I'm not sure why they still need to pull their card. Recency bias is a hell of a drug.

In the case of both Browns v Ravens and Niners v Seahawks, division games in isolation are wierd.

Ravens losing to the Chiefs also isn't like they lost to the Jags or Cardinals, the Chiefs aren't exactly trash. Being exposed and labeled a fraud needs a more egregious example.

• Options
    So, I saw this tweet commenting on Jason Garret's "success".

"How about this nugget from @NFLResearch? #Cowboys HC Jason Garrett is 1 of 7 head coaches who has been with their current team since 2011. Everyone except Garrett has been to a Super Bowl with their current team. Garrett has never made it beyond the divisional round"
    - Jane Slater is an NFL Network reporter.

And while the information in the text is interesting, the stats in the image show just how mediocre Garret is.

Garret's total record is 78-61 (.561)
    Garret's divisional record is 34-18 (.654)
    Meaning his non-divisional is 44-43 (.506)

If the Cowboys lose on Thanksgiving to the Bills (not an impossible task, though the Bills are underdogs), he goes to .500. And if he drops two of three of BUF, @CHI, LAR, he'll end the season that way. Though dropping 2/3 against that schedule would require more than mediocrity.

• Options
    So you're saying he's due!

This discussion has been closed.