As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kyler Murray now threatening to play baseball, too.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Maybe he can manage the Astros.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nah. All you need is a video camera for that.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Kyler Murray now threatening to play baseball, too.

"Threatening" seems like kind of a weird way to summarize this:

""I think I could," Murray told the Arizona Republic. "Athletically, I think, yeah, I could do it. I've been playing both my whole life. I would love to add that to the résumé."

"I don't understand why in sports they try to marginalize it," Murray told the Republic. "They try to make you pick one and I get it, but we'll see. I think it would be fun. Right now, though, I'm just focused on football.""

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    'Give me more money!'

or

'I am an idiot who doesn't understand that professional sports seasons have significant overlap.'

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Wow, that's certainly a way of reading it.

You do realize it's been done before right? And schedules haven't shifted significantly since then either. It's far from practical, but he's not an idiot for thinking a thing that has been done before can be done again.

Sure just sounds like a freakishly gifted athlete who likes baseball and is musing about possibly making it happen some day, to me.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's never been done before. If he played WR/RB/DB, sure I guess, but there is no way an NFL QB is two-sporting it. Ever.

• Options
    Kyler Murray is a QB. If he isn't an idiot, the the team would be if they allowed him to attempt to play baseball.

He has to be in training camp in August and ready for the season in September. What team would willingly start a season without their otherwise healthy #1 QB? If he was good at baseball, what team would let him disappear for the stretch drive and playoffs if they relied on him?

The world is different than it was thirty years ago. He's a fool or an idiot if he thinks this is possible anymore.

• Options
    He could....prioritize football? Ya know, play baseball in the regular season until it's time for training camp. Not ideal but if he's good enough, someone will take him.

Super radical right? You seem reaaaally quick to call a black quarterback an "idiot" or "fool" for super innocuous comments. He straight up says he "gets it" why people are trying to push him to be all in for one or another. I'm sure you're right though -- this guy that grew up playing baseball and football, was drafted in the first round in the MLB and #1 in the NFL overall is just a big ol' dumb dumb who doesn't know that the seasons overlap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »
    He could....prioritize football? Ya know, play baseball in the regular season until it's time for training camp. Not ideal but if he's good enough, someone will take him.

Super radical right? You seem reaaaally quick to call a black quarterback an "idiot" or "fool" for super innocuous comments. He straight up says he "gets it" why people are trying to push him to be all in for one or another. I'm sure you're right though -- this guy that grew up playing baseball and football, was drafted in the first round in the MLB and #1 in the NFL overall is just a big ol' dumb dumb who doesn't know that the seasons overlap.

What.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Context, please! I used pretty simple words I think so I need some details on why you're confused.

He could play baseball after the football season is over, leave the team when it's time for football training camp, and be a quarterback full time.

Yes, it is not ideal for the baseball team -- probably would prefer him to be around for the playoff stretch. Baseball contracts range in value tremendously -- you obviously pay him less knowing he wont be around for the playoffs, but he's worth some amount of money to someone if he's willing to take less. If he improves your record and gets you into the playoffs, that has value and someone could theoretically pay him if he's good enough.

Thinking something like that is vaguely possible at some point in the future maybe doesn't make you an idiot, and I think it's weird that you so quickly jump to that.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Offhand I would say there is absolutely no way his contract with the Cardinals would allow him to play another sport professionally when the fate of that franchise depends on him not so much as tweaking an ankle in pursuit of something that is not the super bowl.

Wasn’t it just last offseason that the chiefs stopped mahomes from playing pickup basketball with his friends?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Offhand I would say there is absolutely no way his contract with the Cardinals would allow him to play another sport professionally when the fate of that franchise depends on him not so much as tweaking an ankle in pursuit of something that is not the super bowl.

Wasn’t it just last offseason that the chiefs stopped mahomes from playing pickup basketball with his friends?

Sure! At the very least he would probably have to be willing to forfeit 100% of his NFL contract if he gets hurt playing baseball. I feel like virtually any NFL team would ask for that.

He would probably also need to wait until after his rookie deal is up and structure something a bit out of the norm. It is also pretty unlikely that he would do that because he's going to have to give up something in exchange for the potential risk of MLB injury.

If he has a dream and really wants to do it, it's possible. The A's still have his rights and expect him to play baseball -- they're waiting with open arms. He could theoretically structure an NFL contract to let him do it, with some sacrifices, if he really wanted to do it.

This also dovetails into why thinking it's haggling is pretty absurd as well. He's not trying to haggle his rookie contract that is the maximum he can possibly be paid under the current CBA, and any future contracts that would let him do it will have a pay cut or huge risk of losing money with injury as a part of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I mean, I'm sure it was just an offhand comment by Murray...

...but I'm also sure that his agent and someone from the Cardinals front office talked to him about five seconds after they heard it.

• Options
    Why am I confused?
    You seem reaaaally quick to call a black quarterback an "idiot" or "fool" for super innocuous comments.

I don't know.

• Options
    Why am I confused?
    You seem reaaaally quick to call a black quarterback an "idiot" or "fool" for super innocuous comments.

I don't know.

I think it's incredibly strange that you're acting like you have a base of knowledge in this area superior to Kyler Murray, that he's either an idiot or haggling when he makes off handed comments about liking baseball and maybe wanting to play it again some day (while specifically clarifying he has no current plans to do it and is focused on football), when you don't. You're assuming he's super dumb and calling him an idiot and a fool for innocuous comments.

So yes, the thing I said with plain english.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This is moot unless Oakland gives him a spot on the 25-man roster, skipping the minor league slog

Their unwillingness to do that is what made him pick football in the first place

The As are even less likely to do it when they wouldn’t have him for the final 2 months of the season

All of that is moot because the Cardinals wouldn’t allow it

• Options
    Why am I confused?

I don't know.

I think it's incredibly strange that you're acting like you have a base of knowledge in this area superior to Kyler Murray, that he's either an idiot or haggling when he makes off handed comments about liking baseball and maybe wanting to play it again some day (while specifically clarifying he has no current plans to do it and is focused on football), when you don't. You're assuming he's super dumb and calling him an idiot and a fool for innocuous comments.

What does his being black have anything to do with it?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Why am I confused?

I don't know.

What does his being black have anything to do with it?

You jumping to him being an idiot, or a fool, or haggling a deal that can't legally be raised because of the CBA. Why did you say these things? He did not say "I'm going to start playing baseball tomorrow and the Cardinals can deal with it".

Why is he an idiot, or a fool for saying:

"I don't understand why in sports they try to marginalize it," Murray told the Republic. "They try to make you pick one and I get it, but we'll see. I think it would be fun. Right now, though, I'm just focused on football.""

That doesn't make sense to me. It's something I would associate with lazily stereotyping someone instead of listening to their words.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Why am I confused?

I don't know.

I doubt Santa's comments have anything to do with his race and they'd be saying the same thing if Kyler were a white QB, so not even sure why you are bringing race into it

• Options
    edited January 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Why am I confused?

I don't know.

I doubt Santa's comments have anything to do with his race and they'd be saying the same thing if Kyler were a white QB, so not even sure why you are bringing race into it

I am willing to accept the premise that Santa may be needlessly condescending to all athletes for some reason and not just black athletes. I don't know -- I haven't reviewed the entire post history and I don't know Santa as a person.

I am also saying that it is very weird to jump to stupid and dumb for the comments said, as I don't know how saying "I think it would be fun to play [to play baseball]. Right now though, I'm just focused on football" makes someone dumb. Why would you call anyone dumb for that? Especially the only human ever who has been drafted in the first round of both sports. He's kind of special!

It fits a pattern in our society of being hypercritical of black athletes. As such, I raised the concern that "you seem really quick to call a black quarterback an idiot or a fool for super innocuous comments". I think Santa is really quick to call this person an idiot or fool for super innocuous comments, and ignoring that we exist in a climate where black athletes are scrutinized more than others and are more likely to be called dumb for saying something that isn't dumb, is disingenuous.

I'm going to leave it as that, as it's clear that further discussion isn't going to be particularly productive on this front. I am not trying to be judge and jury on what is in anyone's heart, and I stand completely by what I said.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Back to the SE+ thread for good. Jesus Christ...

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    'Give me more money!'

or

'I am an idiot who doesn't understand that professional sports seasons have significant overlap.'

Bo managed it and was the most exciting thing going on in both sports. I'd love to see another athlete legit be great at both.

Man, Bo Jackson was awesome. I'm going to go watch some highlight videos now

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    'Give me more money!'

or

Bo managed it and was the most exciting thing going on in both sports. I'd love to see another athlete legit be great at both.

Deion Sanders as well.

I do question if its even possible in modern sports, though.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    'Give me more money!'

or

Deion Sanders as well.

I didn't exactly forget Deon, but I don't remember if he was that good at baseball. He was in the majors and decent enough so I should have given him credit where credit is due. Takes a lot of talent and dedication to play 2 sports professionally and keep your body in great condition.

Edit and shouldn't it be easier with modern travel, schedules, nutrition information, etc... that athletes have today?

RickRude on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    'Give me more money!'

or

Deion Sanders as well.

I didn't exactly forget Deon, but I don't remember if he was that good at baseball. He was in the majors and decent enough so I should have given him credit where credit is due. Takes a lot of talent and dedication to play 2 sports professionally and keep your body in great condition.

Edit and shouldn't it be easier with modern travel, schedules, nutrition information, etc... that athletes have today?

I remember Deion being good in the majors. Solid outfielder, iirc. Plus great at stealing bases and he even All-Star'd at least once in MLB.

edit: from wikipedia
    Deion Sanders played baseball for the New York Yankees and football for the Atlanta Falcons. Sanders had greater longevity playing in both sports than any other athlete in history, competing in Major League Baseball from 1989 to 2001 and in the NFL from 1989 to 2005. He led the National League with 14 triples in 1992 and finished second in the league in stolen bases twice: 1994 (38) and 1997 (56). Sanders also played in the 1992 World Series with the Atlanta Braves, hitting .533 in the series with five stolen bases in five attempts. He had a career batting average of .263, with 186 stolen bases and 43 triples in a nine-year career. In the NFL he was selected to play in eight Pro Bowls as a defensive back, and won two Super Bowls with the San Francisco 49ers and the Dallas Cowboys. Sanders had 53 career interceptions, returning 9 for touchdowns, and caught 60 passes for 784 yards and three touchdowns as a wide receiver. He was later inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[25][26]

edit2: so yeah, Deion was a beast

ObiFett on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Neither Sanders nor Jackson played quarterback. I think that makes a big difference in the possibility of duosporting with football.

• Options
    Deion was good enough at baseball. Without the dual sport thing, he'd be a solid player with decent speed. But mainly a bottom-of-the-order batter.

Bo was a different level entirely.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    This is moot unless Oakland gives him a spot on the 25-man roster, skipping the minor league slog

Their unwillingness to do that is what made him pick football in the first place

The As are even less likely to do it when they wouldn’t have him for the final 2 months of the season

All of that is moot because the Cardinals wouldn’t allow it
    He's no Bo Jackson.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Kyler Murray is not going to play baseball while he’s in the NFL. He can talk about how great it would be, like Russell Wilson did, but of course he’s not going to. It’s silly and fun to talk about, but there’s no way Arizona would let him.

If his career fizzles out and he’s a journeyman backup, then maybe sure. But while he’s the franchise, there’s absolutely no way. He may go to Spring Training like Russell did, sure. But that’ll be it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    If you’re good enough, you get to set your own terms. Doesn’t seem like Kyler is that level of generational athlete though.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think it's easy to make an argument that both sports have progressed to the point where that level of generational athlete can't exist.

• Options
    I would hesitate to call Deion a beast. He had speed, but those two seasons are aberrations. They account for half of his SB totals. The other seven would average about thirteen. He didn't have much power to speak of and his OBP was never high enough to take advantage of any speed he might have had. And he was a good glove, but not great.

He was a quality player who if he had devoted his career to baseball might be considered marginal for the HOF these days. Unless that devotion might have allowed him to really reach and display his full talent. As a dual-sport player, he made a significantly greater impact as a cornerback in football.

Bo Jackson was just so, so much better. Without that injury, he probably would be in the NFL HOF as one of the greatest RBs of all time. If he had decided to just play baseball, same difference.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I think it's easy to make an argument that both sports have progressed to the point where that level of generational athlete can't exist.
    I would say their feeder systems have become less compatible and their rookie contracts more restrictive. So the athletes are forced to choose.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Likely. Football and baseball have some advantages in that the game is very similar in terms of physical profile (a lot of standing and then large bursts of speed) and so could share a training regimen to provide for both. And that, unless you're a QB, the ancillary motions in baseball do not interfere with those of football. It would be far harder to do it with basketball or soccer since the physical profile has more to do with consistent exertion and the motions are very opposed.

But the amount of preparation that is being done today is far in excess of what is was in the 90's. In every sport players are expected to memorize the other teams gameplan as well as theirs. Bo didn't have to know each players outfield shift pattern that corresponded with what each pitcher was throwing. He just had to go run in the outfield and hit the ball. He didn't have to study pitch profiles for all the possible pitchers he was going to be seeing. That kind of data was possible but not widely used(one reason is because pitchers didn't have batter heat maps to know where they were strong and weak and so had less variation between batters and they didn't have as good mechanical analysis to determine when they had tells). You just had to go out there and hit.

Its a much higher cognitive load in both sports and more importantly a much higher amount of prep-time, which you cannot do for both.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    'Give me more money!'

or

Deion Sanders as well.

I remember Deion being good in the majors. Solid outfielder, iirc. Plus great at stealing bases and he even All-Star'd at least once in MLB.

edit: from wikipedia
    Deion Sanders played baseball for the New York Yankees and football for the Atlanta Falcons. Sanders had greater longevity playing in both sports than any other athlete in history, competing in Major League Baseball from 1989 to 2001 and in the NFL from 1989 to 2005. He led the National League with 14 triples in 1992 and finished second in the league in stolen bases twice: 1994 (38) and 1997 (56). Sanders also played in the 1992 World Series with the Atlanta Braves, hitting .533 in the series with five stolen bases in five attempts. He had a career batting average of .263, with 186 stolen bases and 43 triples in a nine-year career. In the NFL he was selected to play in eight Pro Bowls as a defensive back, and won two Super Bowls with the San Francisco 49ers and the Dallas Cowboys. Sanders had 53 career interceptions, returning 9 for touchdowns, and caught 60 passes for 784 yards and three touchdowns as a wide receiver. He was later inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[25][26]

edit2: so yeah, Deion was a beast

Damn, I remember him being a beast at CB and returning, I thought he failed as a receiver but those numbers look good. I'm honestly shocked at those baseball numbers. Dude was a lot better than I remember. Must be his old morning pregame self that made me slowly forget. Wasn't a big fan of him after he left the game.

• Options
    Deion was probably 80% the athletic marvel Bo was but 110% the skill

Lebron is probably 105% Bo’s athleticism and 575% his skill, btw. Everyone wants to talk about Lebron playing TE or whatever, but I think I’m another football-life he actually goes for either QB or DE.

• Options
    Reminder: I’m a loud, ignorant ass

• Options
    Bo was a masher at a time they didn't give much thought at OBP.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Likely. Football and baseball have some advantages in that the game is very similar in terms of physical profile (a lot of standing and then large bursts of speed) and so could share a training regimen to provide for both. And that, unless you're a QB, the ancillary motions in baseball do not interfere with those of football. It would be far harder to do it with basketball or soccer since the physical profile has more to do with consistent exertion and the motions are very opposed.

But the amount of preparation that is being done today is far in excess of what is was in the 90's. In every sport players are expected to memorize the other teams gameplan as well as theirs. Bo didn't have to know each players outfield shift pattern that corresponded with what each pitcher was throwing. He just had to go run in the outfield and hit the ball. He didn't have to study pitch profiles for all the possible pitchers he was going to be seeing. That kind of data was possible but not widely used(one reason is because pitchers didn't have batter heat maps to know where they were strong and weak and so had less variation between batters and they didn't have as good mechanical analysis to determine when they had tells). You just had to go out there and hit.

Its a much higher cognitive load in both sports and more importantly a much higher amount of prep-time, which you cannot do for both.

Isnt game planning in baseball nowadays knowing that 1 bang means changeup and 2 means a fastball?

This discussion has been closed.