As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Yeah the Hildibrandt quests are never good gameplay wise except for the trials, but they're hilarious and give lots of good minions and emotes

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Yeah the Hildibrandt quests are never good gameplay wise except for the trials, but they're hilarious and give lots of good minions and emotes
    They appear to be the way to unlock some of the funnier FF villains as raid bosses. Namely Gilgamesh and Ultros.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hyur
    Henroid wrote: »
    They appear to be the way to unlock some of the funnier FF villains as raid bosses. Namely Gilgamesh and Ultros.

Just be aware that those trials are set so that most teams will have gear that's a great deal more than adequate to put them at highest tier of power that the fights allow, and you'll barely get to see that they even have mechanics before they're dead. A little sturdier than Cape Westwind Guy, but less sturdy than either of the Relic Weapon Trials or the Hard mode versions of the three original primals. So if you're looking for an interesting fight, they're unlikely to be it, unless you can talk a group of friends into joining you for a minimum ilvl run.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I don't think gilgamesh is in this game

Maybe you're talking about Greg???

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra

Just be aware that those trials are set so that most teams will have gear that's a great deal more than adequate to put them at highest tier of power that the fights allow, and you'll barely get to see that they even have mechanics before they're dead. A little sturdier than Cape Westwind Guy, but less sturdy than either of the Relic Weapon Trials or the Hard mode versions of the three original primals. So if you're looking for an interesting fight, they're unlikely to be it, unless you can talk a group of friends into joining you for a minimum ilvl run.

That's basically true of everything in ARR so I don't think that's a particularly notable distinction. I honestly don't think the game even really starts to increase in difficulty until Stormblood.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Oh I've had groups wipe on Ultros.

Never underestimate the power of 7 people all assuming someone else is paying attention.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I don't think I've yet seen a group manage to successfully use the debuff and punch to interrupt the cast in that fight. Always end up just having to stand as centrally as possible so that not everyone gets punted.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »
    Oh I've had groups wipe on Ultros.

Never underestimate the power of 7 people all assuming someone else is paying attention.

Ultros having a ton of gimmicks makes DPSing them down harder, yeah, especially since IIRC DPS is targeted for imping.

If you ever want to play as Blue Mage then clearing 2.x Hildibrand is also kind of required since you get Missile from Enkidu.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    in terms of actual gameplay hildy has a bunch of 2.0 trials, none for 3.0, and then one more at the very end of the 4.0 story for some reason

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I don't think gilgamesh is in this game

Maybe you're talking about Greg???

but greg is my friend, and a collector of relinquished weapons

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Roegadyn
    Got to RDM level 60 quest, failed several times because a) I wasn't figuring out all the mechanics and b) I didn't realize I'd unlocked Vercure six levels ago and also c) my gear was way out of date

I'm very good at this video game

Edit: also I just went to Foundation and bought the lvl 60 caster gear there and uh this has an aesthetic I am not entirely comfortable with

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    As a viera I don't have the wear the level 60 hat so I'm just a hot bunny chick in a suit, which rules

• Options
    pUhhPsj.jpg
    Seems workable.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Got to RDM level 60 quest, failed several times because a) I wasn't figuring out all the mechanics and b) I didn't realize I'd unlocked Vercure six levels ago and also c) my gear was way out of date

I'm very good at this video game

Edit: also I just went to Foundation and bought the lvl 60 caster gear there and uh this has an aesthetic I am not entirely comfortable with

because it's too sexy?

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Hyur
    It’s a bit fashy.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Sorry, just to be clear, I just got the Bloodhempen casting set from the NPC in the Jeweled Crozier

It has a really appropriative "native dress" thing going on that I didn't realize until I'd bought it all

I wish I'd just held off until I pushed the Heavensward story quest to Idyllshire and gotten Shire gear instead, but, here we are

I think I'm going to shelve RDM until I get to that point with my DRG rather than run around in beads and feathers

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Ahhhh yes that makes more sense

You probably want to buy shire gear with tomestones of poetics instead anyway, either from the trader near the main ishgard aetheryte or the trader in idyllshire.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    Can I get Shire gear in Ishgard before I actually get to Idyllshire?

• Options
    Viera
    I think it might be locked until you see the first credits for the expansion actually, now that you mention it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure the capital city vendors are locked until you finish the expansion, but you can buy the Shire gear once you get to Idyllshire.

• Options
    Viera
    The stormblood equivalent guys don't appear in ralghr's reach until after first credits there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    Heavensward is funny/broken that way.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    You can also buy some glamour prisms and change the look of the equipment to something you’re comfortable wearing.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    You can also buy some glamour prisms and change the look of the equipment to something you’re comfortable wearing.

This is also known as 'The Real Final Fantasy 14'

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    And then you can post screenshots of the looks over in a screenshots thread (so that I'm not the only one doing so lately).

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Roegadyn
    I am having a problem
    A side quest in Ok' Zundu requires me to say a phrase in chat

I'm on PS4

I can pull up the virtual keyboard and type the phrase in the box, but when I hit X to send it doesn't show up in the chat and the quest objective doesn't complete. Am I missing something?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I am having a problem
    A side quest in Ok' Zundu requires me to say a phrase in chat

I'm on PS4

I can pull up the virtual keyboard and type the phrase in the box, but when I hit X to send it doesn't show up in the chat and the quest objective doesn't complete. Am I missing something?

Type /say before it.

• Options
    Viera
    are you in the right chat channel? try putting /s before it so it goes in the Say channel.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    Solved it, I just wasn't near enough to the NPC I'm speaking to

I continue to be very good at this game

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Also, capitalization and/or lack thereof is important, for future reference

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Hyur
    Quests where I have to write something in /say or do an emote make me irrationally angry, because I'm always worried that there are other players nearby, and the only thing I hate more than having other people's irrelevant horseshit smeared across my chatlog is the possibility of polluting theirs with my own irrelevant horseshit.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    Quests where I have to write something in /say or do an emote make me irrationally angry, because I'm always worried that there are other players nearby, and the only thing I hate more than having other people's irrelevant horseshit smeared across my chatlog is the possibility of polluting theirs with my own irrelevant horseshit.

You could always make a macro and spam them with irrelevant "lali-ho, High as Honor Wings Unbending Uhm Ala. free kupo nuts Now Fall With the Wind. Beaver shouts la-hee Amid the Flowers, his whiskers are snae ling."

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

I think if you say it right it doesn't even show up in the chat log

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Viera
    I'm 60% certain it does show up in the chat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    It shows up in chat, but /say is proximity-based so only if they're close. IIRC Yell reaches farther, Shout is the entire zone?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Neveron wrote: »
    It shows up in chat, but /say is proximity-based so only if they're close. IIRC Yell reaches farther, Shout is the entire zone?

Yeah. And I don't think most players mind that there's a few spots in a few maps where people say nonsense for quests.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Thanks for all the advice/feedback up to this point. Probably done.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Hyur
    Either I'm having fantastic luck today, I was having absolutely rancid luck the last time, or they've changed the drop frequency of Mirrors of the Whorl from Leviathan EX. Last time I was trying to farm the sword I want, I went 30+ kills and got zero mirrors. This time I'm at about the same number of kills, but I've got 12 of the damn things. Unfortunately, I also have almost every other weapon he drops, including the regular and upgraded versions of both shields, and the one and two handed versions of the White Mage weapon... but not the Paladin sword I actually want, or the Ninja knives that are the only other thing on the list I'm kind of interested in (I already had the sweet lightsaber looking Katana from the last attempt). So I guess my luck isn't that much better.

Edit: Finally got the sword and daggers... and enough mirrors to upgrade all of them. I think I'm just going to throw the whole set into storage, in case I get a craving to use one some day, to save myself from having to farm it again. Got to represent that Leviathan personal brand, after all.

Desert Leviathan on
  • Options
    Does anyone know if, for someone who has the trial account only, you can buy the Complete Edition for $30 today (last day of 50% off sale), and get a code to use now or later? Or does it just directly upgrade the account immediately?

• Options
    Miqo'te
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Does anyone know if, for someone who has the trial account only, you can buy the Complete Edition for $30 today (last day of 50% off sale), and get a code to use now or later? Or does it just directly upgrade the account immediately?

I think so? IIRC you still have to register the Complete Edition on the mogstation. I'd google around first before committing.

Make sure you buy the Complete Edition for the same version you started your account with - if you started via Steam you have to continue to buy stuff via Steam, and the same for PS5, Square Enix's webshop, etc.

In any case, though, do keep in mind that leaving the trial is a one-way street and if your sub runs out after that you just can't play on that account anymore.

This discussion has been closed.