As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Just did the new raid
    Boy there is almost no fluff to that raid is there? Aside from like 1 trash fight and the laser hallway it's pretty much just boss boss boss right after each other.

Also I'm going to have nightmares about that last boss. Most unsettling boss design since the dolls.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Just did the new raid
    Boy there is almost no fluff to that raid is there? Aside from like 1 trash fight and the laser hallway it's pretty much just boss boss boss right after each other.

Also I'm going to have nightmares about that last boss. Most unsettling boss design since the dolls.

It's just
    Castlevania Legion, which I enjoyed

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Yeah, the immediate introduction of a new existential threat in the middle of their post-victory celebration had strong Saturday morning cartoon vibes to it.

The story was fine, if conventional and played straight. If the word on the game was that the expansions were mostly in this vein, I’d probably call myself satisfied and drop it here, but some of the tablesetting and story bits around the edges are interesting enough to keep me going forward.

That bit made me think “so is this actually the Seventh Astral Era, or was that extremely premature?”

Shadowbringers tells me that apparently, yes it the astral era. Which is weird to me.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    No spoilers but the character animations in the epilogue of the 5.3 MSQ are the best.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    It's wild to go back and compare them to 2.0 cutscenes they've come so far

• Options
    Au'ra
    The new weapon quest is one of my favorite things in the game

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I'd like it better if it were replayable.

• Options
    Au'ra
    24man
    Doing the first Nier raid for upgrade tokens and the whole alliance is just shitting on 2P the entire time

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    No spoilers but the character animations in the epilogue of the 5.3 MSQ are the best.

It's bonkers, it looks like an entirely different engine

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I just wrapped 2.3 and I'm pretty tired of it, I wanna get to Heavensward and even with the reduced quests that's a lot still to get through

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    SabreMau wrote: »

I don't know how the new game+ stuff works, does it not apply to recent quests?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMau wrote: »

I don't know how the new game+ stuff works, does it not apply to recent quests?

It's only specific quests that have been added to it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, the immediate introduction of a new existential threat in the middle of their post-victory celebration had strong Saturday morning cartoon vibes to it.

The story was fine, if conventional and played straight. If the word on the game was that the expansions were mostly in this vein, I’d probably call myself satisfied and drop it here, but some of the tablesetting and story bits around the edges are interesting enough to keep me going forward.

That bit made me think “so is this actually the Seventh Astral Era, or was that extremely premature?”

Shadowbringers tells me that apparently, yes it the astral era. Which is weird to me.

I just finished 2.0 MSQ last night and I still don't get the "era" thing. Do world leaders just... declare it? Is there a galactic calendar? Do we just change eras every 5 years?

Also, with the MSQ changes, I went from 45 to 50 in a single night. It took a Leveling Roulette and a handful of FATEs to cap off 49 but it's extremely doable with just MSQ if you're an alt with enough cash to teleport everywhere.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Astral Eras are considered to be the time when the world is not suffering from the effects of a Calamity (with that time period being considered an Umbral Era).

So in effect it would be something that world leaders would declare (even if it's not entirely accurate) as a point of propaganda about "the bad times are over"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    5.3 Main Scenario spoiler
    I'd managed not to cry for most of that, but I knew the moment Urianger told me to go see Seto I was going to.

What a fantastic scene.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Got through the first leg of post-ARR patch content last night. Took just a couple of hours, so I’m optimistic that the recent streamlining will let me get to Heavensward without too much of a slog.

You can definitely see the seams where they taped over the cut content. I was sent to the new headquarters to help move in, and just when I arrived and the questgiver’s eyes lit up at the prospect of having me perform seven badger enemas, I got a hurried call asking me to pray return to the waking sands because something actually important was happening.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    5.3 Main Scenario spoiler
    I'd managed not to cry for most of that, but I knew the moment Urianger told me to go see Seto I was going to.

What a fantastic scene.
    Everytime we get a scene with Seto I feel a sudden wave of guilt about not having my Chocobo out with me 100% of the time, or ever using a different mount.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roegadyn
    I really wish they'd drop greens as a consumable and just let you have your bird out

same with needing onions to level past a certain point

with how little players are encouraged to do stuff in the overworld, the costs and complications associated with chocobo companions make them feel that much more vestigial

which sucks because a level 20 birb friend is genuinely useful for fate farming and stuff

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    I don't know if 5.3 affected me that much, but I suppose it did to many.
    And I just got out of an Unreal Shiva clear after wiping to enrage over and over and over for about two hours. Is it normally supposed to be that tight or were we just greatly underoptimized/dying too often? We did pull in a friend to the party (not part of our usual static) who has nothing but tank leveled so I got switched down to RDM and I'm not used to being DPS in an extreme at all. I would have swapped to DNC (as I use that much more often) but we already had one, or to melee but we already had two of those.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just wrapped 2.3 and I'm pretty tired of it, I wanna get to Heavensward and even with the reduced quests that's a lot still to get through

The story gets more interesting after 2.3, you’re through the worst of it

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The new extreme trial is an absolute blast, had fun knocking it out late last night.

• Options
    Lalafell
    I did it! I got the patch downloaded! Holy shit that was a roller-coaster.

What ultimately got me there was this: I opened the patch location (C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\downloads\ffxivpatch), and whenever the download crashed, I took the .patch file that it had been working on (there's multiple folders in ffxivpatch; a .patch file is downloaded, and ultimately is removed when it's finished, leaving a .patch.info file), and copied it into a backup folder elsewhere on my computer. If the download lost all the data, I'd copy the backup back into the proper folder, and get my progress back.

It still took a long-ass time, and I had to babysit some frequent crashes for the bigger patch files, but it worked.

• Options
    Au'ra
    This Moonfire Faire quest....

"we must lure it off without letting it get a taste for blood."

It literally just ate a guy are you blind

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    without letting it get a taste for more blood

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Maybe he's the kinda guy who needs to try a meal a few times to decide if he likes it.

• Options
    Au'ra
    There's only the one shark. If you killed it then you couldn't do the fate a second time to get enough currency to buy the entire new outfit.

Gotta have priorities: glamour > a few people that might get eaten

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    There's only the one shark. If you killed it then you couldn't do the fate a second time to get enough currency to buy the entire new outfit.

We have an abundance of healers nearby.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

I said "oh, duh" to myself when I read this.

Its going to be like a month before I stop being surprised by flying in ARR

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Fortunately, the 2.4 and 2.5 stories are pretty dope. You’re out of the dregs now.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    The flying mounts have made me so lazy, I won't even walk up outside stairs or inclines now. I just hover up on my flaming wolf like a real drama queen

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I tried to do the expanded free content on my old account, but I can't because I have bought time on it in the past

that seems not great

• Options
    To be fair, there already was a no-mount zone surrounding the tower the last time it was up.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

ah, the US covid plan

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the seasonal events change every year and getting the obstacle course twice might have simply been a cost-cutting measure

• Options
    Viera
    it was good though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Viera
    give me more jumping puzzles to dash myself against futiley

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Yes. It was probably the most festive part of the whole event. I liked being in a giant group of people trying desperately to make this game’s physics work in their favor.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2jEbde1FNQ

The all tank UCOB group got to enrage.

I've been casually following these streams when I can, and it's honestly the most fun and most impressive FFXIV content I've ever seen.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Au'ra
    They really need to remove job restrictions on the old scrip crafting gear already. Stuff like the level 60 Boltkeep set looks gorgeous but I don't want to have eight glamour plates tied to each DoH job, or have "seven of the same look and one good one".

This discussion has been closed.